PDA

View Full Version : yep; no NFL team for SAN ANTONIO.

Glenn Holland
12-14-2010, 11:50 PM
heard it on the news.
WOAI did a story tonight about San Antonio speding 50K to fund a study to see what it would actually take to lure another pro team to San Antonio, namely, NFL or MLB...
and one of the guys they interviewed said San Antonio would basically never get an NFL team because Dallas and Houston got the SAN ANTONIO market on lock already.

bUT,,,,,,,GOOD NEWS IS...

We are ripe and prime for MLS..thats Major League Soccer in case yall didnt know.

:flag::lobt::flag:

Blake
12-15-2010, 12:15 AM
and one of the guys they interviewed said San Antonio would basically never get an NFL team because Dallas and Houston got the SAN ANTONIO market on lock already.

I could have told them that for a lot less than 50k

4>0rings
12-15-2010, 12:17 AM
heard it on the news.
WOAI did a story tonight about San Antonio speding 50K to fund a study to see what it would actually take to lure another pro team to San Antonio, namely, NFL or MLB...

bUT,,,,,,,GOOD NEWS IS...

We are ripe and prime for MLS..thats Major League Soccer in case yall didnt know.

:flag::lobt::flag:Bull shit. We just need someone super rich to lobby for us. I'am a Cowboys fan but the moment a team comes to San Antonio.... I'am a San Antonio whatever fan and would buy tickets. With baseball, there are cities that are losing so much money right now and no one shows up to their games. Why can't SA even have a chance for a MLB team? It's damn nice to call into work sick, go catch a ball game and drink beers.

Blake
12-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Bull shit. We just need someone super rich to lobby for us.

how about someone like Red McCombs?

maybe he can buy a team and move it here

PakiDan
12-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Bull shit. We just need someone super rich to lobby for us. I'am a Cowboys fan but the moment a team comes to San Antonio.... I'am a San Antonio whatever fan and would buy tickets. With baseball, there are cities that are losing so much money right now and no one shows up to their games. Why can't SA even have a chance for a MLB team? It's damn nice to call into work sick, go catch a ball game and drink beers.

Nope. Will never work. San Antonio does not have a big enough corporate base to support an NFL franchise. Even with 1 million screaming San Antonio football freaks begging, it would still never happen. We can barely support the Spurs without the city's residents crying foul every time a public funding intitiative is brought up. Any potential franchise would have to promise 5 Barnes and Nobles and streets paved in gold to all of the South side Council Members for any deal to pass.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-15-2010, 12:30 AM
i knew that a long time ago. no way in hell we're ever getting one.

InRareForm
12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
no chance.

EricB
12-15-2010, 01:11 AM
If the city council wanted one they would find a way to fund a new stadium and tell the Jaguars, move here and the stadium is practically yours.

Cyrano
12-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Maybe Jerry Jones will move the Cowboys......no, wait, you meant PROFESSIONAL team.

JayTheClown
12-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Nope. Will never work. San Antonio does not have a big enough corporate base to support an NFL franchise. Even with 1 million screaming San Antonio football freaks begging, it would still never happen. We can barely support the Spurs without the city's residents crying foul every time a public funding intitiative is brought up. Any potential franchise would have to promise 5 Barnes and Nobles and streets paved in gold to all of the South side Council Members for any deal to pass.

Greenbay, Jacksonville & Pittsburgh disagree. San Antonio is the the 8th or 9th largest city in the U.S. I believe. The problem is LA still doesn't have a team. No city in the U.S. is gonna get a NFL franchise before LA (or at least it shouldn't). It may take quite a while but if the Vikings do move to LA (which is a strong possibility). The Vikings relocating to LA would be a good thing for you guys. Because Jacksonville will need a home and San Antonio may the perfect place.

4>0rings
12-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Greenbay, Jacksonville & Pittsburgh disagree. San Antonio is the the 8th or 9th largest city in the U.S. I believe. The problem is LA still doesn't have a team. No city in the U.S. is gonna get a NFL franchise before LA (or at least it shouldn't). It may take quite a while but if the Vikings do move to LA (which is a strong possibility). The Vikings relocating to LA would be a good thing for you guys. Because Jacksonville will need a home and San Antonio may the perfect place.Agreed, LA couldn't hold an NFL team twice over, small markets are holding them though. NFL is number one.

Paki, aren't you annoyed with all the cowboys fans here? Imagine if there was an NFL team here... I do agree everyone screams out when the city has to buy anything though.

Buddy Holly
12-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Nope. Will never work. San Antonio does not have a big enough corporate base to support an NFL franchise.

I hate when people makes claims and statements that are just recycled rubbish and then what is even worse is they never back up their regurgitated rhetoric with data or something, anything substantive.

Even with 1 million screaming San Antonio football freaks begging, it would still never happen.

We can barely support the Spurs without the city's residents crying foul every time a public funding intitiative is brought up.

What? Funding initiative for what? An arena? Well, hey, you find me a city where residents DON'T voice their opinions when sports teams seek taxes to build arenas and stadiums. When you do that, I'll show you the fountain of youth and where the city of atlantis really is.

Any potential franchise would have to promise 5 Barnes and Nobles and streets paved in gold to all of the South side Council Members for any deal to pass.

Huh? LOL at you thinking any council person would hold up any voting dealing with an NFL team. :lol

Buddy Holly
12-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Greenbay, Jacksonville & Pittsburgh disagree. San Antonio is the the 8th or 9th largest city in the U.S. I believe.

7th largest city and 28 largest metro, but fastly growing and should be top 25 within a couple of years.

The problem is LA still doesn't have a team.

They don't have a stadium either.

No city in the U.S. is gonna get a NFL franchise before LA (or at least it shouldn't).

Jacksonville, Charlotte and Houston all got teams while LA remained baron of NFL football.

It may take quite a while but if the Vikings do move to LA (which is a strong possibility). The Vikings relocating to LA would be a good thing for you guys. Because Jacksonville will need a home and San Antonio may the perfect place.

The NFL is a business, owners have and will continue to relocate teams. SA is primed for a team and no matter what any person with zero knowledge tries to say, an NFL team would work economically in SA (this has been proven by publications like the Bizjournal).

ChumpDumper
12-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Just need to build a stadium around the San Marcos outlets in a few years.

robino2001
12-15-2010, 08:05 AM
yep; no NFL team for SAN ANTONIO.
heard it on the news.

No shit?!?
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/flat-planet-431x300.jpg

Booharv
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Texas needs three teams about as much as Florida does.

lol Jacksonville

Slydragon
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I really don't watch NFL because we have no team. I'm not a Cowboys fan because they are not San Antonio Cowboys.

I see Jerry Jones stopping us from ever getting a team because we are such a huge Dallas Cowboys city. Don't owners have to approved for a city to get a team?

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2010, 10:24 AM
San Antonio can barely support a basketball team. Football?

:lmao

lefty
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
It ok

Yoiu guys still have the Cowboys and the Texans

Blake
12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
7th largest city and 28 largest metro, but fastly growing and should be top 25 within a couple of years.

Jacksonville, Charlotte and Houston all got teams while LA remained baron of NFL football.

The NFL is a business, owners have and will continue to relocate teams. SA is primed for a team and no matter what any person with zero knowledge tries to say, an NFL team would work economically in SA (this has been proven by publications like the Bizjournal).

I think SA could absolutely support an NFL team here in town.....but that's not the problem with us ever getting a team.

Problem is that we already watch the Cowboys every Sunday. Even if we combined with Austin's TV market, there's no incentive for the NFL as a whole to have a team here.

Ditty
12-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I rather have baseball team here there aint shit to do during the summer

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2010, 03:29 PM
You guys realize it would cost around TWO BILLION to bring a football team here, right?

Ain't happening. Period.

Dark Gable
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Who cares now that we've got UTSA Football!!!!

4>0rings
12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
You guys realize it would cost around TWO BILLION to bring a football team here, right?

Ain't happening. Period.
Damn brah, you got that in your wallet right now.

SA could afford it, the councilmen would have to put their bribes on hold for a little while though.

PakiDan
12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed, LA couldn't hold an NFL team twice over, small markets are holding them though. NFL is number one.

Paki, aren't you annoyed with all the cowboys fans here? Imagine if there was an NFL team here... I do agree everyone screams out when the city has to buy anything though.

I am! Believe me.... I would LOVE to have our own NFL team... just don't think we have the infrastructure, and by that I mean city council members with enough brass to make this happen.

PakiDan
12-15-2010, 04:11 PM

LOL!!! And you think San Antonio does???? The Alamodome was outdated the moment it was built!! The capacity sucks... their is a HUGE lacking of corporate suites, the infrastructure is falling apart... Have you seen the back offices?? Parking is HORRENDOUS! We would need to build a NEW stadium before we could evven think about attracting the NFL and YES -- I DO believe that there are at least a few nimrod city council members who would vote FERVENTLY against an NFL franchise. LOL at you for thinking they would all support it!

scott
12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I think SA could absolutely support an NFL team here in town.....but that's not the problem with us ever getting a team.

Problem is that we already watch the Cowboys every Sunday. Even if we combined with Austin's TV market, there's no incentive for the NFL as a whole to have a team here.

Finally someone gets it!

The exact opposite is true for MLB and MLS, however. San Antonio should spend its time luring those franchises if it really wants another sports team. NFL isn't coming here anytime soon.

JayTheClown
12-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Your correct on all your points. As for your third point. Those cities did recieve NFL franchises before LA, your right, but now the media (mainly ESPN), and California's government is really pushing the NFL to get a team in LA now (I don't understand this considering were California is economically). Any team relocating will LA as their first choice. They also don't have a stadium, but there are talks of getting that done.

Nathan Explosion
12-15-2010, 11:57 PM
San Antonio could put the team in a small city outside of San Antonio like many teams do (first to come to mind is the Pats).

Then you could try and incorporate Austin into the market if the stadium is located off of 35. That would be the only way as there isn't any real land in San Antonio to build a stadium. Plus the new stadium would have to at least equal Reliant and come close to Cowboys Stadium. Lot of money to do that.

How about someone telling Charles Butt to go in with McCombs on a team. The guy is worth more than Jerry Jones.

Nathan Explosion
12-16-2010, 12:01 AM
California's government is really pushing the NFL to get a team in LA now (I don't understand this considering were California is economically).

Staples Center was entirelly privately funded. I think the LA stadium will have lots of private funding, in the same way Cowboys Stadium did. Jerry Jones put up $750 million of his own money to build.

In fact, the Sports Guy has had Casey Wasserman on his podcast talking about this. According to this article, they want to privately fund the stadium.

http://hollywoodbrick.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/wasserman-plans-to-build-la-stadium-without-public-funding/

EricB
12-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Again, if the mayor had a brain, he'd get with the bigwigs of this city and start searching out land. MLB has too many teams doing well with too many stadiums coming to move a team.

Buddy Holly
12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
LOL!!! And you think San Antonio does????

Where did I state it did? :sleep

The Alamodome was outdated the moment it was built!!

Not true no matter how many exclamation points you use.

The capacity sucks... their is a HUGE lacking of corporate suites, the infrastructure is falling apart...

Capacity sucks?

The Alamodome seats 65,000.

Ford Field in Detroit opened in 2002 and seats 65,000 for football.

Lucas Field in Indy opened in 2008 and seats 63,000 for football.

University of Phoenix stadium in Phoenix which opened in 2006 has a cap. of 63,000.

We would need to build a NEW stadium before we could evven think about attracting the NFL

I agree, a new stadium is a must in order for SA to land a team. But I think if it ever does happen, the Alamodome would be used as a temp home for a season or two until the new stadium was completed.

and YES -- I DO believe that there are at least a few nimrod city council members who would vote FERVENTLY against an NFL franchise. LOL at you for thinking they would all support it!

Well, my comment was pertaining to your claim that a no vote would be because of some geographical issue.

But I don't even know why I'm even arguing that with you as it really makes no sense. Can you please explain to me why any hypothetical council would being placing votes on anything in the first place? A tax increase wouldn't be decided by them, it would be decided by a public vote. The council would have very little power in terms of deciding the fate of an NFL team.

Buddy Holly
12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Again, if the mayor had a brain, he'd get with the bigwigs of this city and start searching out land. MLB has too many teams doing well with too many stadiums coming to move a team.

If you wanted to go urban with a stadium, the lone star brewery area such of downtown is big enough to house a stadium as well as mixed use development. :toast

It also has tracks going though it, these tracks will eventually stop being used for commercial freight use and be turned into light rail lines.

Nathan Explosion
12-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree, a new stadium is a most in order for SA to land a team. But I think if it ever does happen, the Alamodome would be used as a temp home for a season or two until the new stadium was completed.

This is exactly how it has to happen. When the vote goes through, what the bill should state is that the stadium won't be built until an NFL team agrees to move here. The city would have to tell the team explicitly that we will build a stadium when they get here, so the team will play in the dome during the building process, which is about 2 years or so.

But make sure the team understands that a new stadium is guaranteed once they move. San Antonio should not build a new stadium hoping to attract a team, otherwise we get stuck with the Alamodome all over again.

SA210
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
We can do it, we just don't have the Leadership in place to get it done.

Blake
12-16-2010, 12:30 PM

get what done?

Glenn Holland
12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I think Mayor Castro is more than capable of making this happen or at least getting the wheels in motion.

San Antonio has had some pretty great mayors in the past.

Buddy Holly
12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
get what done?

git'r'done?