PDA

View Full Version : Christian Bale in "American Psycho"

Red Hawk #21
12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I know "American Psycho" is old as hell (Came out in 2000) but it's a pretty kickass movie tbh. Christian Bale does a great job of acting as Patrick Bateman, a man who lives a double life as a banking executive at day, and psychopath killer at night. The movie really has some funny scenes, there's always a sense of irony, and just some really fantastic killing scenes (Might be a bit too bloody, for some tbh). Bale really deserved an oscar for his performance in this movie imho. I've watched the movie about three times now, because the end really keeps you guessing what happens to Bateman.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z170/joejohnson24/AmericanPsychoBlurayCover.jpg

Here is a great clip btw:
qwicLgOGJOI

AmericanPsycho
12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Great movie.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2010, 07:27 PM
They have this movie... called American Psycho...

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Good movie, fuckin disgusting though.

I was in the bookstore the other day and I saw the book so I picked it up and flipped to a random page and started reading... well, I just closed it after a couple of sentences.

Red Hawk #21
12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I think I'm going to get the book, I want to see how well it relates to the movie.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2010, 08:15 PM
The book has like three or four awesome parts that should have been put in the movie.

Also (even though the movie is intended to be slightly different) you do pick up on several nuances that are easily overlooked in the movie, after reading the book.

dimsah
12-15-2010, 08:25 PM
The movie didn't come close to the brutality of what this guy does in the book.

Drachen
12-15-2010, 08:29 PM
For some reason the funniest part of that movie that sticks out in my mind, is the little dance he does while wearing the raincoat to phil collins. Also "don't just look at it" then shortly after that the pointing to the mirror, flexing and winking at himself. Freakin hilarious.

Red Hawk #21
12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Am I the only person who feels that Bale was snubbed of an oscar? Or maybe I'm just overrating this performance.

PS The scene where Bateman broke up with his girlfriend was pretty funny. "You're just not terribly important to me" lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Yeah, the movie doesn't come close to the shit in the book.
And Bale was great, what year did the movie come out anyways?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Best scene

cISYzA36-ZY

DeadlyDynasty
12-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Reaganomics

lil'mo
12-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh my God.... he even has a watermark.

DeadlyDynasty
12-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Feed me a stray cat.

IronMexican
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
I just watched it the other week. Was pretty good. I probably should have watched it earlier, but I was so grossed out by Bale's TDK performance that I sworn myself to never see another movie with him.

baseline bum
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
The menu's in braille.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Explicitly no, implicitly yes. Just look closer.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I just watched it the other week. Was pretty good. I probably should have watched it earlier, but I was so grossed out by Bale's TDK performance that I sworn myself to never see another movie with him.

Get it? Cuz you were learning cursive when the movie came out?

IronMexican
12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
wat

Is it cause the movie is so old.

Nathan Explosion
12-15-2010, 11:31 PM
For some reason the funniest part of that movie that sticks out in my mind, is the little dance he does while wearing the raincoat to phil collins.

Then he does the "Hey Paul, look over here. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" and proceeds to kill him. So great.

Yes the movie was awesome and my friends and I once had a debate about what really happened. Maybe the book has the answer.

Most of us think it was all in his head and he didn't do any of it. One of us thought that everyone was so wrapped up in their own little world that they really didn't notice anyone around them, hence why they though Patrick's message was really Paul's. They was so indifferent to one another they just couldn't tell.

Highly unlikely, but it would underscore the message the movie had of everyone so wrapped up in materialism and excess to really be a caring human at all.

Red Hawk #21
12-15-2010, 11:44 PM
I really have no idea what really happened, I'm gunna get the book and hopefully that helps. I have some theories about it but I won't state them because I don't want to ruin it for those who may not have seen it yet.

Nathan Explosion
12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
I really have no idea what really happened, I'm gunna get the book and hopefully that helps. I have some theories about it but I won't state them because I don't want to ruin it for those who may not have seen it yet.

The movie is 9 years old. If someone hasn't seen it, then it's their fault. Go ahead and state what you think.

Red Hawk #21
12-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Well, I think everything up to the "Feed me a stray cat" part was real. I think after that point he just lost it. I mean come on, he blew up a cop car with a single shot. Even Bateman knew something was wrong at that point. Idk though, I find I crazy that someone would just clean up his old apartment, even though it was filled with dead bodies. That's what makes me wonder...

This is a really great effin movie tbh.

Jacob1983
12-16-2010, 12:40 AM
This movie isn't that old. 10 years isn't that long ago.

Murders and executions. :lol

Nathan Explosion
12-16-2010, 01:06 AM
This movie isn't that old. 10 years isn't that long ago.

Murders and executions. :lol

I didn't say it was old, just that it is old enough to where someone can't complain about spoilers because they haven't seen it.

I think all of it was in his head. He just lost it. But then again, with all that was going on in the movie, the "lost it" angle seems too easy. But that's what I'm sure the director wanted, for you to think about it, over think it and then rethink it.

baseline bum
12-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Then he does the "Hey Paul, look over here. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" and proceeds to kill him. So great.

Yes the movie was awesome and my friends and I once had a debate about what really happened. Maybe the book has the answer.

Most of us think it was all in his head and he didn't do any of it. One of us thought that everyone was so wrapped up in their own little world that they really didn't notice anyone around them, hence why they though Patrick's message was really Paul's. They was so indifferent to one another they just couldn't tell.

Highly unlikely, but it would underscore the message the movie had of everyone so wrapped up in materialism and excess to really be a caring human at all.

I don't think the killings of Paul Allen and of the hooker with the chainsaw were supposed to be real. They were too spectacular and cinematic; come on, he drops a chainsaw from 4 stories up and lands it right on the chick the second she's exposed? Plus that lawyer at the end says he just had dinner with Paul Allen the other day. I think the only killings he really did in the story were when he stabbed the homeless guy and when he shot the lady at the ATM. They were too boring to fit in with his delusion about being some grand serial killer.

Red Hawk #21
12-16-2010, 01:13 AM
You know I've read somewhere that the author admitted that the murders really did happen. I guess the movie just leaves it up to the viewers to decide.

crc21209
12-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Badass movie indeed :tu

Fpoonsie
12-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Imhcq5s9OLs

Halberto
12-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm going to pick up the book now that the semester is over. You guys sold me.

Johnny RIngo
12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Stay away from the sequel though. It has nothing to do with the book/film aside from the fact that they threw in Bateman's character in the first two minutes to justify slapping on the American Psycho moniker in the title. It's basically a crappy parody-slasher with a shitty cast(Mila Kunis and William Shatner). Bret Easton Ellis denounced the film years ago.

DMX7
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Love that movie.

DeadlyDynasty
12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Stay away from the sequel though. It has nothing to do with the book/film aside from the fact that they threw in Bateman's character in the first two minutes to justify slapping on the American Psycho moniker in the title. It's basically a crappy parody-slasher with a shitty cast(Mila Kunis and William Shatner). Bret Easton Ellis denounced the film years ago.

It was pretty bad, no doubt. Caught it on the free on-demand movies last year. Good soundtrack, though:lol

Red Hawk #21
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I've never seen the sequel, but I've heard from a lot of people that it's a failure and disgrace to the first American Psycho.

PS Bale was pretty fucking badass in "Equilibrium" as well. His acting wasn't as great as it was American Psycho, but the fight scenes we're epic. He was always outnumbered in every fight scene, yet he was still straight up owning everyone, Check out this scene :
IBrTGF7GmPE

AmericanPsycho
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/apkillpaul5qz.gif

Kai
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/doubles-guy-3763_preview.png

Cant_Be_Faded
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM

It must be added here, that the movie "The Rules of Attraction" with James Van der Beek, Jessica Beil, etc is a legit Bret Easton Ellis movie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Rulesofa.jpg/220px-Rulesofa.jpg

The character Van der Beek plays is Patrick Bateman's younger brother.
In the book American Psycho, Patrick actually has dinner with his younger brother, and the scene is hilarious.

Also, the 80's movie with Andrew McCarthy, Jami Gertz, and Robert Downey Jr (in his first true crack-head role, wow what a great job he does!) "Less Than Zero" is an Ellis movie too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JX98YDC5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Characters from this movie know and meet with characters from Rules of Attraction in the books.
You'll notice in the book, American Psycho, when Patrick is really starting to break down he goes to a video store and keeps asking for a movie that stars "that girl from the diet pepsi commercials, Jami Gertz"

Patrick was fucked up guys, he was heavily medicated. You see him taking his medicine throughout the movie, don't even need the book for that.

Also, there was a recent Ellis movie that came out in limited theaters, did not do well but had alot of big names in it

http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/36738/The_Informers_6.jpg

Have not seen this one, but will eventually. It's too far down the netflix queue.

oh crap
12-16-2010, 09:37 PM
i thought the rules of attraction and it's soundtrack were pretty good.

DeadlyDynasty
12-16-2010, 09:44 PM
i thought the rules of attraction and it's soundtrack were pretty good.

One of the best soundtracks:toast

Cant_Be_Faded
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
It was a decent movie, but I have not read the book so can't comment on the book.

The character "Victor" in Rules of Attraction is the main character in the Ellis book "Glamorama" and that has been in the process of being made a movie for a while I think.

David Bowie
12-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I love that movie. It's really hilarious for some reason! A sort of horror-comedy with comedy on modern society.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
It's hilarious because it's hilarious

CuckingFunt
12-17-2010, 03:07 AM
I'm always amused by people who like the film because they think the character of Patrick Bateman is, like, such a badass or something without realizing what a pathetic and empty character he is (and how pathetic and empty the 80s were). Desperate for approval, unable to relate to/interact with anyone, and completely disconnected from reality.

Thoroughly enjoyable book, though, and easily one of my favorite films of the decade.

RollingStoned
12-17-2010, 08:59 AM
One of my favorites. His character was one bad mofo.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm always amused by people who like the film because they think the character of Patrick Bateman is, like, such a badass or something without realizing what a pathetic and empty character he is (and how pathetic and empty the 80s were). Desperate for approval, unable to relate to/interact with anyone, and completely disconnected from reality.

Thoroughly enjoyable book, though, and easily one of my favorite films of the decade.

I agree that alone is a weak reason to like the film, but to people who aren't richers and can't deal with people on the superficial level with such mastery as he did, he probably does seem like a bad ass. kinda like a situation where they still think the pros of being Bateman outweigh the cons.