PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers be worried about the Spurs, Mavericks?

duncan228
12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Should the Lakers be worried about the Spurs, Mavericks? (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/should-the-lakers-be-worried-about-the-spurs-mavericks/)
Kurt Helin

The NBA championship is not decided in December. The NBA season is a long slog where contending teams want to develop good habits, win games and stay healthy for the second season.

We get that. But we can’t help but wonder…

When you look at the West right now what do you see? Dallas just had a 12-game win streak and behind its 2-3 match-up zone is playing its best defense in years. The Spurs are 20-3 and have been the best team in the league over the course of the young season — good defense and an elite offense (even if they have slowed the pace (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/13/the-spurs-have-slowed-down-even-if-their-offense-hasnt/) lately). They are getting to rest Tim Duncan so much he is putting himself in games to play.

Then there is the consensus preseason pick to come out of the West, the Lakers — who have looked good but not dominant against a pretty soft schedule. Their defense has been pedestrian. Pau Gasol has looked tired and Ron Artest is not fitting in as smoothly. They have losses to good teams like the Jazz and Bulls, they had to squeak out wins against the Nets and Clippers. It has not been a tour-de-force.

It’s time to ask — should the Lakers be worried? Could the Spurs or Mavericks (or Thunder or Jazz) knock them off come the playoffs?

I put that question to a variety of scouts and player personnel (and development) people around the league in the last week and they said:

Yes. Sort of. But it’s still about the Lakers and not their opponents.

Keep Reading... (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/should-the-lakers-be-worried-about-the-spurs-mavericks/)

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/should-the-lakers-be-worried-about-the-spurs-mavericks/

RoddyBukkake
12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
lol mavs :lol

midnightpulp
12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
It's hard to say right now. You can't make that judgment until we see how the Lakers look with Bynum fully integrated.

I'll say this, if the playoffs started today, the Lakers don't come out of the West, and the fact that the Lakers need 3 great-to-good big men in Gasol, Odom, and Bynum, illustrates just how big man dependent Kobe Bryant is.

frodo
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Phil never got the tactical knowledge of small ball, so he always needs 2 bigs in his lineup. he used to have 3 bigs to rotate over the 2 positions and it functioned pretty well however he only has two legit bigs now that bynum is injured and isn't likely to come back soon. lakers have a bag of guard reserves which only contrasts the severe lack of depth at PF and C.

Frenzy
12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Now yes. Later in the season....let's see :)

ALVAREZ6
12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Spurs: yes
Mavs: no

Nothing's changed

JayTheClown
12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
The Mavs, not at this present time. I say this because I don't think this current team is the team that will be going into the playoffs this year. Roddy will be back and there is always chance for a trade, which I do believe will happen.

The Spurs, yes the Lakers should be concerned with them at this time. The Spurs backcourt has 2 guards who can penetrate the lane at anytime. They have an aging but solid threat at PF. While the Lakers backcourt has only 1 gaurd who can penetrate consistently, but has the edge in the front court for obvious reasons, but if there is any team RIGHT NOW that can threaten the Lakers chance of a repeat in the West its the Spurs RIGHT NOW.

Venti Quattro
12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
of course. the author had nothing to write so he just questioned the obvious

DeadlyDynasty
12-15-2010, 08:54 PM
If the Spurs are healthy come April/May then they could push LAL to 7. Not really worried about Dallas though, cause I don't trust anybody outside of Dirk to show up in a long series.
That could change by season's end, though.

Juanobili
12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
they should worry about health. they can compete against anybody in the NBA. I look forward to seeing a healthy Lakers vs. Spurs WCF :) (Muck the Favs)

Koolaid_Man
12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
The Mavs, not at this present time. I say this because I don't think this current team is the team that will be going into the playoffs this year. Roddy will be back and there is always chance for a trade, which I do believe will happen.

The Spurs, yes the Lakers should be concerned with them at this time. The Spurs backcourt has 2 guards who can penetrate the lane at anytime. They have an aging but solid threat at PF. While the Lakers backcourt has only 1 gaurd who can penetrate consistently, but has the edge in the front court for obvious reasons, but if there is any team RIGHT NOW that can threaten the Lakers chance of a repeat in the West its the Spurs RIGHT NOW.

Right Now :lmao
Seems ever since the Spurs won that half a season title Spur fan been increasingly delusional while calling for earlier and earlier playoff start times...:lmao Were less than 2 full months into the season and Spur fan already jizzing their pants over a wet dream...

BUMP
12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Spurs: yes
Mavs: no

Nothing's changed

http://blog.thekobecollection.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/lakers_wcf_trophy.jpg

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Gomez/fisher-4.jpg

http://hingedman.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/040513_derekfisher_vmed_8pwidec.jpg

frodo
12-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Shannon Brown has been really good for them this season, while other new signings like Barnes etc... are also contributing a lot. there are still weaknesses with their squad but their backcourt is just fine as it gets. coming to their bigs rotation whereas they only have two legit players to use with bynum out injured.

when fully healthy the lakers will continue to dominate the west without no possible threat, but at this point of time it seems they can lose a game to any team not just the spurs and mavs but the mid-tables as well.

duncan228
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Don't worry Mavericks fans, Spurs can't keep up their current pace (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/121610dnspomavsletter_top.1ecf65f4.html)
by Eddie Sefko / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks don't owe apologies to anybody after the first 25 games of the season. They've done nothing but overachieved when the bottom line is the gauge.

What's amazing is that they rattled off 12 consecutive wins, had 19 wins in the first 23 games and still weren't in first place in their division, much less the Western Conference.

Looking around, it's hard to believe San Antonio is this good. And we can point out some reasons to doubt them.

Reasons like they haven't played the Lakers, Celtics or Heat yet. Reasons like they have only played nine winning teams and are 7-2 against those.

The Mavericks have played 13 teams over .500 and are 10-3. Like the Spurs, they haven't played the Lakers. But they have beaten the Celtics and Heat already.

The point is that the Spurs aren't going to keep up their jackrabbit pace. It's not going to require another 12-game winning streak for the Mavericks to pass them. Just keep winning the games you are supposed to and a few here and there that you're not.

And if that's not enough to get them past the Spurs by 2011, then we'll all have to re-evaluate things.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/121610dnspomavsletter_top.1ecf65f4.html

rascal
12-16-2010, 07:30 PM

The spurs need to get better play from their front court if they seriously want to challenge LA. The spurs have the clear advantage in the backcourt with more depth although the Lakers have the best back court player in Kobe.

The lakers are a bad matchup for the spurs. They can wear the spurs down with high percentage shots on the inside with their superior front line. And Kobe can match head to head any backcourt player on the spurs in crunch time.

rayjayjohnson
12-16-2010, 07:37 PM
no one should be worried about the mavs. except mark cuban.

Hooks
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
The Mavs aren't shit, they depend way too much on the refs to ever win a ship. Just go ahead and watch just about ANY comeback they've ever made, I guarantee you they came back thanks to FT's.

This Spurs team is FAR from playing it's best b-ball, that won't happen until the 2nd half of the season as it's happened for like the past 10 years.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
no one should be worried about the mavs. except mark cuban.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol Denver

Ashy Larry
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Lakers should worry about every team they play but they should worry about themselves more than anything because when they come to play, it's usually lights out.

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 08:19 PM
The thing with the Lakers are they respect the Sp*rs and the Mavs so they will not overlook either of those teams. If I had to bet money on WCF matchup, I'd say Lakers/Mavs due to what Chandler is doing and the fact that they can bring Haywood off the bench. The Sp*rs don't have enough size to deal with the Lakers.

Ace
12-16-2010, 08:25 PM
The thing with the Lakers are they respect the Sp*rs and the Mavs so they will not overlook either of those teams. If I had to bet money on WCF matchup, I'd say Lakers/Mavs due to what Chandler is doing and the fact that they can bring Haywood off the bench. The Sp*rs don't have enough size to deal with the Lakers.

You just started a thread asking why Haywood wasn't starting over Chandler and now is a Mavs/Lakers because what Chandler is doing? What happened did you finally what a Mavs game?

jag
12-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I can't wait for another Spurs/Mavs series.

lol this homo not wanting to face either of those teams

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
It's hard to say right now. You can't make that judgment until we see how the Lakers look with Bynum fully integrated.

I'll say this, if the playoffs started today, the Lakers don't come out of the West, and the fact that the Lakers need 3 great-to-good big men in Gasol, Odom, and Bynum, illustrates just how big man dependent Kobe Bryant is.
This is an inaccurate statement. Of course you need quality bigs to get it done. People say, "but MJ did it without a dominant big" and I say whatever man. Why? Because during his first 3 peat, he had a young horse named Horace Grant that was a good (he later became a great defender), old man Cartwright was a good defender who would foul the shit out of Ewing in a heartbeat, and the greatest SF defender of all time: Scottie MF'n Pippen. During the 2nd 3 peat, he had the probably the greatest PF defender of all time: Rodman. During both runs, MJ had a collection of bigs that had size and at least 18 fouls that could be strategically used to slow down Shaq, Ewing, Smits, or Daughtery. These centers were 1st or 2nd options of their teams. You slow them down, then lock down the perimeter - you win. They played good or great defense.

Kobe is no different. You don't get past _irk, TD, Amare, or any other elite big without a good big man on your team. When Kobe had Shaq he won. When he had Pau he won. During all 5 of his championship runs he was a major reason why the Lakers won. To dismiss these facts is being disingenuous on your part. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Hell, sub Kobe for MJ on the Lakers' 2005-2007 teams and I guarantee you he wouldn't win a ring with the likes of Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, (inconsistent) Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, or Tierre Brown. If you say he still would have won, your trolling.

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
You just started a thread asking why Haywood wasn't starting over Chandler and now is a Mavs/Lakers because what Chandler is doing? What happened did you finally what a Mavs game?
Look dumbass, stop following me around from thread to thread. I'm not giving out autographs to transvestite faggots.

If you must know, I was deployed (meaning I'm in the military) and couldn't watch games. I even stated in the thread that I based the thread off of their history when they played the Lakers. I'm no longer deployed, and I now can watch games.

Regardless, looking at how much bigger Bynum is now (look at the guns he added to his 7'6" wingspan) the Mavs would be wise to start Haywood because Chandler's light ass won't cut it:

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/107596971_10.jpg

Ace
12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Look dumbass, stop following me around from thread to thread. I'm not giving out autographs to transvestite faggots.

If you must know, I was deployed. That means I'm in the military. I'm no longer deployed, and I now can watch games.

Regardless, looking at how much bigger Bynum is now (look at the guns he added to his 7'6" wingspan, the Mavs would be wise to start Haywood because Chandler's light ass won't cut it:

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/107596971_10.jpg

No need to be ass hurt because you made yourself look like a fool. It was a simple question.

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
No need to be ass hurt because you made yourself look like a fool. It was a simple question.
The people that chose to ignore the fact that I based my thread off of how both players performed against the Lakers are the foolish ones, tbh. IMO, Haywood gives them the best shot at knocking the Lakers off. I doubt Chandler could deal with LO - let along Pau or Big Drew. But hey, what do I know? :downspin:

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Ace got punked. lol

anyways, Lakers are easily vulnerable because of Bynum's knee situation and they rely on Artest and Odom making 3's. That leaves gasol. Its sort of unbelievable when people say Gasol and Duncan cancel each other out. Gasol has been the better player imo, and this season Gasol looks stronger, while Timmy is holding on for dear life to be strong enough in the playoffs.

One example I could give is how FC Barcelona beat the Lakers in the preseason. The lakers were injured, but they obviously had the talent to beat them. The way FC barcelone killed them with perimeter passing seemed to frustrate the lakers and all I can think of was if Tony, manu, and george were those players, they would easily beat the lakers.

Our adv is our gaurds, while Lakers will have a bigfront court. I like our frontcourt to at least compete because of Duncan Dyess Blair and Splitter. Thats still on of the better frontcourts in the league.

DeadlyDynasty
12-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Ace got punked. lol

anyways, Lakers are easily vulnerable because of Bynum's knee situation and they rely on Artest and Odom making 3's. That leaves gasol. Its sort of unbelievable when people say Gasol and Duncan cancel each other out. Gasol has been the better player imo, and this season Gasol looks stronger, while Timmy is holding on for dear life to be strong enough in the playoffs.

One example I could give is how FC Barcelona beat the Lakers in the preseason. The lakers were injured, but they obviously had the talent to beat the spurs. The way FC barcelone killed them with perimeter passing seemed to frustrate the lakers and all I can think of was if Tony, manu, and george were those players, they would easily beat the lakers.

Our adv is our gaurds, while Lakers will have a bigfront court. I like our frontcourt to at least compete because of Duncan Dyess Blair and Splitter. Thats still on of the better frontcourts in the league.

That's all I needed to read.
:lmao

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
:lol Using preseason games to judge the Lakers?..come on, bro..

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
This is subject to change, but here is the Lakers 2nd unit:

Bynum
Caracter
Barnes
Brown
Blake

Minus the the rookie Caracter, these players are part of a potent 9 man rotation. Only thing I worry about is health.

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 08:57 PM
That's all I needed to read.
:lmao

The whole world was laughing when the Fakers lost to them. But you go ahead and try to be .... funny :rolleyes

DeadlyDynasty
12-16-2010, 08:59 PM
The whole world was laughing when the Fakers lost to them. But you go ahead and try to be .... funny :rolleyes

It was their NBA Championship and Gold Medal wrapped in one. For the Lakers it was an opportunity to expand their product and slay some european box.

Ace
12-16-2010, 09:01 PM
The people that chose to ignore the fact that I based my thread off of how both players performed against the Lakers are the foolish ones, tbh. IMO, Haywood gives them the best shot at knocking the Lakers off. I doubt Chandler could deal with LO - let along Pau or Big Drew. But hey, what do I know? :downspin:

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the Mav games all year - just BSPN highlights. Based on their history and the Mavs' need for size at the center spot, Haywood should start. I believe that Chandler is a good weak side shot blocker, a good team defender, and he can catch/finish passes from J Kidd. That won't be good enough IMO. You guys should start Haywood to match up with frontlines that have beef in the middle.

The only reason I could see Chandler starting over Haywood would be due to health. Is Haywood healthy? Because if he is, he needs to start. Bring Chandler off the bench.

Just my 0.02.
Didn't mention the Lakers. Yet as I already said you're basing it off the play from years past. When last year Haywood was in contract year and Chandler was not healthy. Ignorant and foolish on your part. You just can't judge players base off that because how one player plays one year doesn't guarantee they will play the same the next. In fact Chandler has been getting so much more praise because he's healthy and with Kidd and Dirk looks solid. You would know that had you watched a game before making that thread. You also would've saved yourself the butthurt.

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
It was their NBA Championship and Gold Medal wrapped in one. For the Lakers it was an opportunity to expand their product and slay some european box.

Don't bring nonsensical jargon to the thread. We all saw how butthurt Kobe was when he was losing in the 4th quarter. You go ahead and pretend that game meant nothing to the lakers that day...

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Didn't mention the Lakers. Yet as I already said you're basing it off the play from years past. When last year Haywood was in contract year and Chandler was not healthy. Ignorant and foolish on your part. You just can't judge players base off that because how one player plays one year doesn't guarantee they will play the same the next. In fact Chandler has been getting so much more praise because he's healthy and with Kidd and Dirk looks solid. You would know that had you watched a game before making that thread. You also would've saved yourself the butthurt.
LOL at butthurt. Listen, I'm a Laker fan. Even when I had NBALP, I only watched Laker games. So I could give a fuck less what they did throughout the year or if Haywood performed in his KT year. What matters to me is how a player performs against the Lakers and from what I saw Haywood was a presence against the Lakers and Chandler did jackshit. The only time Tyson did anything worth mentioning against the Lakers was when he was catching lobs from CP. That shit won't cut it against the champs - who are getting healthy and finally have their full complement of players which will make us balanced for the 1st time all year.

By balanced, I mean... LO goes back to bench (he's beasting by the way), Bynum goes back in the middle, Pau gets to feast on sub 7' PFs (you know, the way TD made a HOF career), Kobe doesn't have to check the best perimeter player no more (with Artest and Barnes doing the dirty work) and the backcourt of Sasha/Farmar has been replaced by Blake/MIP candidate Shannon Brown.

All in all, I could give a fuck less about any team in the league if we are healthy.

Jelloisjigglin
12-16-2010, 09:16 PM
:lol Using preseason games to judge the Lakers?..come on, bro..

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Don't bring nonsensical jargon to the thread. We all saw how butthurt Kobe was when he was losing in the 4th quarter. You go ahead and pretend that game meant nothing to the lakers that day...

I'm sorry but I just can't take you seriously.

Don't let that stop you from offering up more preseason analysis though :tu

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Just make sure to post your butthurtness when the Spurs back court torch the Lakers in the playoffs...

and if the Lakers win, I'll be right here.... :ihitbring it on sucka

Ace
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL at butthurt. Listen, I'm a Laker fan. Even when I had NBALP, I only watched Laker games. So I could give a fuck less what they did throughout the year or if Haywood performed in his KT year. What matters to me is how a player performs against the Lakers and from what I saw Haywood was a presence against the Lakers and Chandler did jackshit. The only time Tyson did anything worth mentioning against the Lakers was when he was catching lobs from CP. That shit won't cut it against the champs - who are getting healthy and finally have their full complement of players which will make us balanced for the 1st time all year.

By balanced, I mean... LO goes back to bench (he's beasting by the way), Bynum goes back in the middle, Pau gets to feast on sub 7' PFs (you know, the way TD made a HOF career), Kobe doesn't have to check the best perimeter player no more (with Artest and Barnes doing the dirty work) and the backcourt of Sasha/Farmar has been replaced by Blake/MIP candidate Shannon Brown.

All in all, I could give a fuck less about any team in the league if we are healthy.

So you're judging Haywood based off his play with a shitty Washington team or you're judging it off his play in his contract year in Dallas? At same point your judging Chandler's play based off what he did years ago while in NO? Not based off the current play of each player? Haywood is lazy and next to Dirk with Kidd Chandler is beasting. Boy you're stupid.

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
So you're judging Haywood based off his play with a shitty Washington team or you're judging it off his play in his contract year in Dallas? At same point your judging Chandler's play based off what he did years ago while in NO? Not based off the current play of each player? Haywood is lazy and next to Dirk with Kidd Chandler is beasting. Boy you're stupid.
Haywood was a presence against the Lakers when he was acquired by the Mavs - at least the games I saw. Chandler, again, hasn't done shit against Lakers since he was being spoonfed by CP.

If I didn't watch any Mav games, how can I base my thread off of their current play? Stupid is what Ace does.:dizzy

Ace
12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Haywood was a presence against the Lakers when he was acquired by the Mavs - at least the games I saw. Chandler, again, hasn't done shit against Lakers since he was being spoonfed by CP.

If I didn't watch any Mav games, how can I base my thread off of their current play? Stupid is what Ace does.:dizzy

He hasn't been healthy since playing with Paul. That's why his Olympic play was so hyped since he was for first time in years he was completely healthy. You've already admitted to not watching basketball outside the Lakers so you should quit while you're ahead.

gmartin02
12-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Yawn...

This is the same kind of shit people were saying at the very end of the last regular season (when the Lakers were 3-6 in their last 9 games).

Its way too early in the season to predict what will happen in the post season.

I guess writers have to have something to write about slogging trough December.

LkrFan
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
He hasn't been healthy since playing with Paul. That's why his Olympic play was so hyped since he was for first time in years he was completely healthy. You've already admitted to not watching basketball outside the Lakers so you should quit while you're ahead.
...and yet our 6th man was the starting center - NOT Chandler. :lol

Ace
12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
...and yet our 6th man was the starting center - NOT Chandler. :lol

Ok... Change the subject

sefant77
12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
0 rings faggots!

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM

This.

Crytek
12-17-2010, 04:27 AM
From Basketball-Reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html)

Pyth Wins
1. Miami 21.7
2. Lakers 19.7
3. Celtics 19.1
4. Spurs 19.0
5. Mavs 17.4

Guess which team the Lakers should be worried about.....

Koolaid_Man
12-17-2010, 04:51 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/should-the-lakers-be-worried-about-the-spurs-mavericks/

Q. Should you put Hot Sauce on a Thanksgiving Turkey?

A. And ruin that shit....Fuck No...