PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni: Suns Can Rebound

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
D'Antoni believes Suns can rebound

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/sports/76937.php
By Bruce Pascoe
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

PHOENIX - History says the Suns-Spurs series is, well, history.

No team has ever rebounded from losing the first two games at home to win a best-of-seven conference final.

What's more: The Suns have lost 10 of their past 11 games against the Spurs, and suffered their worst defeat of the regular season during their lone trip to San Antonio in the regular season.

So the only question may be whether the Suns can force a return to Phoenix for Game 5 of the Western Conference final on Wednesday, which would make the series somewhat respectable.

There is belief on both sides that the Suns can accomplish that goal.

First, there is the fact that Phoenix did have the league's best road record at 31-10.

"I really believe it,'' Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "There's no one in the locker room that doesn't think we can't go to San Antonio and win. We have a very good record on the road and we can do it.

"We know it's going to be tough, but … Game 3 will be a different ballgame."

The Suns were hammered 115-94 at San Antonio on Dec. 28, but took some solace that they led the Spurs in Games 1 and 2 heading into the fourth quarter.

A few adjustments here, maybe a foul on Tim Duncan there, and the end result could be different.

That is especially true if the Spurs make less than an unconscious 70 percent of their field goals in the fourth quarter, a figure they have surpassed in each of the last two games.

"I think if we play as well as we did (Tuesday), we've got a great chance to win the next game,'' guard Steve Nash said. "The last two games, they have been phenomenal at making big shots in the fourth quarter, and at some point, you just have to congratulate them and say, 'You know, they are better than us tonight.' "

However, the Suns did shoot 55.7 percent overall versus the Spurs' 52 percent in Game 2.

That productivity, thanks to Nash's point-guard play, has Duncan concerned.

"They are so good at the pick and roll," Duncan said. "Steve keeps his dribble, he continues, and he plays with it until there is something there. He's great at that. We're going to have counter that a little bit. We're not going to win four games with them shooting 55 percent."

Whether the Spurs are hitting those late shots because of their playoff experience, and their will to win, or whether the Suns simply are not guarding them is another discussion all together.

But if the Suns can get guard Joe Johnson back from his broken eye socket and concussion for Saturday's Game 3, they should be able to improve their defense.

Johnson already has been sinking three-pointers in practice. But his defense, more than anything, could make a difference. Specifically, he could slow down point guard Tony Parker, who scored 24 points on Tuesday.

"Without Joe Johnson, we don't have anybody other than Leandro'' Barbosa, D'Antoni said, referring to his often overactive Brazilian reserve guard. "If Leandro would get into the game and play well, then we can spell Steve.''

However, the Suns may never have anybody who is capable of stopping Duncan, who scored 25 of his 30 points in the second half Tuesday, and was instrumental in the Spurs' fourth-quarter surge.

The Suns have two more days to keep thinking of other solutions, but as of now, the only drawbacks to Duncan are fouls and two gimpy ankles.:cry

"We've just got to find a way to neutralize Duncan,'' Suns forward Quentin Richardson said. "Everything goes through him. That's what it comes down to. They've beaten us a number of different ways. But at the same time, what it comes down to is Duncan.''

..:rolleyes I have the feeling game 3 IS going to be the hardest game for the Spurs to beat Suns.

Duncan shld keep himself out of early foul trouble.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Is D'Antoni the most idiotic, useless coach ever? Wait, maybe Jeff Bzdelik... nah, D'Antoni takes the cake.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gif

spurschick
05-27-2005, 12:07 AM
D'Antoni believes Suns can rebound

He probably also believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Obi wan Ginobili
05-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Well... All I ask for until the finals is that I am assured of seeing 4 more spurs games.

As of this point, I am...

So I really can't complain.

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Is D'Antoni the most idiotic, useless coach ever? Wait, maybe Jeff Bzdelik... nah, D'Antoni takes the cake.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gifwhy did you refer D'Antoni as "useless"?

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Because coaching to him involves standing there with arms crossed and yell at refs at every foul.

Duncanoypi
05-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Suns cannot rebound and so is Steven Hunter...

LakerGod
05-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Only three teams have rebounded from an 0-2 hole, the most recent team to do that is Dallas this year...

So don't count your eggs before they hatch....

IMO the spursies should go for the kill and sweep the Suns now that they have the next 2 games at home, if they give the Suns a game or two, then the spursies are done.

I don't expect them to shoot over 70% in the 4th quarter again knowing how inconsistent this bunch of spursies are.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:22 AM

Yeah, what an idiot. I mean, every other coach (including Popps) would concede and say they're done--no chance of coming back with at least two games to go.

Give me a break!

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Only three teams have rebounded from an 0-2 hole, the most recent team to do that is Dallas this year...

IMO the spursies should go for the kill and sweep the Suns now that they have the next 2 games at home, if they give the Suns a game or two, then the spursies are done.

I don't expect them to shoot over 70% in the 4th quarter again knowing how inconsistent this bunch of spursies are.

San Antonio did it in the Conf Finals in '95 to tie it up at two all. True, they lost the series in the end, but two games is not a 100% victory.

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Because coaching to him involves standing there with arms crossed and yell at refs at every foul....nonsense! D' Antoni made the Suns dreams come true of playing in the WC finals by beating your Mavs team. I think he deserves more consideration than just by dismissing him bec. of he yells at the refs. Your former Coach Nellie did that too. Always got a technical foul last yr everytime the Mavs play the Spurs. :rolleyes

BTW, almost every coach in this league does that.

TDMVPDPOY
05-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Looks like duncan is the target for game 3, other players have to step up and i want to see duncan retaliate if they start pulling cheap shots on him. They were the ones that cose him to have that knee surgey its time for payback!!!

Tek_XX
05-27-2005, 12:26 AM
D'antoni does complain alot, makes popovich look passive.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:27 AM
...nonsense! D' Antoni made the Suns dreams come true of playing in the WC finals by beating your Mavs team. I think he deserves more consideration than just by dismissing him bec. of he yells at the refs. Your former Coach Nellie did that too. Always got a technical foul last yr everytime the Mavs play the Spurs. :rolleyes

I don't have a problem with it, but how many times has Popps not been Teched when he should of?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050518/capt.saa11605180445.supersonics_spurs_saa116.jpg

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Suns cannot rebound and so is Steven Hunter...

Thanks to Phoenix's total disregard for the concept of having a bench, one of the worst players in the league has the potential to be MLE gold!

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:30 AM

I don't expect them to shoot over 70% in the 4th quarter again knowing how inconsistent this bunch of spursies are.hey LakerGod, welcome back.....:D

we want your another prediction. What it is this time? Do you think we have the chance of beating the top-seeded Suns in the WC finals? :lol

I don't expect them to shoot over 70% in the 4th quarter again knowing how inconsistent this bunch of spursies are
..shldn't you be telling this "advise" on the Suns' fans forum instead? or hasn't hacked it yet?

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Looks like duncan is the target for game 3, other players have to step up and i want to see duncan retaliate if they start pulling cheap shots on him. They were the ones that cose him to have that knee surgey its time for payback!!!..that's my concern:cry

then if Marion rebounds from a poor performance in the first 2 games, we're in trouble.

but the belief is still here.

T Park
05-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Marion rebounds from a poor performance in the first 2 games, we're in trouble

he shoots more, someone like Stoudamire or Richardson will shoot less.

Thats whats funny, if one guy takes more shots, someone will take less, there is only 1 ball people.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:40 AM
...nonsense! D' Antoni made the Suns dreams come true of playing in the WC finals by beating your Mavs team. I think he deserves more consideration than just by dismissing him bec. of he yells at the refs. Your former Coach Nellie did that too. Always got a technical foul last yr everytime the Mavs play the Spurs. :rolleyes

A "coach of the year" that only uses 2 plays, doesn't have any defensive sets, and relies on his point guard to decide what to do in critical situations is definitely worthy of respect and admiration!

PS: Nellie is an idiot and I'm glad he's gone.

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:42 AM
D'antoni does complain alot, makes popovich look passive.notice that too! but that's not what makes a coach useless to me.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/PNA128052500_lower.jpg

i hope Pops shld copy D'Antoni's style, too:lmao. Esp. when Duncan gets triple or double teamed:rolleyes .i worry of that ankle injury so much.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Anyone want to make a guess what's inside the ultra-thick playbook Phoenix has been bragging about (and convinced Nash to sign with them) all season long? I guess the first 5 pages are various incarnations of the run-and-gun, 3 pages of pick-and-roll, and the rest are cheesecake photos of D'Antoni with his famed coaching poses: "the laugh and act crazy", "clap", and "I'm whispering something".

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 12:50 AM
They're aren't going to play "cheap" on Duncan, they're going to drive at him and try to put him in foul trouble.

Not that hard to read between the lines on that one.

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 12:55 AM
They're aren't going to play "cheap" on Duncan, they're going to drive at him and try to put him in foul trouble.

Not that hard to read between the lines on that one....hope so.

BTW, take a look of this Manu's picture when they had their team practice today...he looks pretty TIRED to me...
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/SA101052616_lower.jpg

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Anyone want to make a guess what's inside the ultra-thick playbook Phoenix has been bragging about (and convinced Nash to sign with them) all season long? I guess the first 5 pages are various incarnations of the run-and-gun, 3 pages of pick-and-roll, and the rest are cheesecake photos of D'Antoni with his famed coaching poses: "the laugh and act crazy", "clap", and "I'm whispering something".

It's amazing how that horrible coach and his team beat your Mavs short handed in six games. If Dallas can be beat that easily, I wonder how bad it would have been had they actually ran plays and had a coach who actually "coached."

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
A "coach of the year" that only uses 2 plays, doesn't have any defensive sets, and relies on his point guard to decide what to do in critical situations is definitely worthy of respect and admiration!

PS: Nellie is an idiot and I'm glad he's gone.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gifreally? :huh

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
If Dallas can be beat that easily, I wonder how bad it would have been had they actually ran plays and had a coach who actually "coached

probobly a sweep.

If Dantoni gave a shit about defense, it shouldve been.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 01:16 AM
It's amazing how that horrible coach and his team beat your Mavs short handed in six games. If Dallas can be beat that easily, I wonder how bad it would have been had they actually ran plays and had a coach who actually "coached."

Dallas were beaten by the PLAYERS (a Canadian out to prove something specifically), not the coach. D'Antoni himself admitted that he just lets Nash do whatever he wants to do. In fact, when Phoenix was down by 3 against Dallas, you can see D'Antoni signalling for time, yet Nash dribbled away and fired that 3 on Terry.

And please stop bringing up Dallas over and over again. I'm not bitter, Dallas played shitty basketball the entire postseason, and I've been harboring the same opinions I have about D'Antoni all season long. Isiah could coach this team to 62 wins.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 01:18 AM
In fact, when Phoenix was down by 3 against Dallas, you can see D'Antoni signalling for time, yet Nash dribbled away and fired that 3 on Terry.

I guess you missed during the free throws when D'Antoni was talking to Nash and told him that he was going to signal for a timeout, but to ignore it. It's the oldest trick in the book to throw off a defense. They think a timeout is going to be called and the offense plays though it.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Well, that wasn't the only time D'Antoni relied on Nash in clutch situations. Sure it's not bad to trust Nash's judgment, but a "coach of the year" doing that?

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, that wasn't the only time D'Antoni relied on Nash in clutch situations. Sure it's not bad to trust Nash's judgment, but a "coach of the year" doing that?
I understand the dislike for D'Antoni as COY, but I think he was recognized for more than just implementing X's and O's. He was the person who asked GM Bryan Collangelo to go after Nash in the off season. He was the one who wanted to run and gun. He was the one who asked Amare to move to center and to trust him. I think Stoudemire at center is probably the biggest reason the Suns have won games outside of Nash running the floor. He got his players to buy into a system and it worked. And while he isn't going to be know as a Scott Skiles who can draw up a play for any situation, he is an incredible motivator. I can't tell you how many times the Suns have been down by double digits for them to just bounce back and take a big lead. He's good at getting his players to focus when they need to. And few recognize that he's done this with the youngest team in the league--and one of the least experienced. Besides Nash, nobody really has playoffs experience.

On a side note, D'Antoni is exactly who Team USA needs to coach in international play. His years coaching in Greece and preferred style would go a long way in making the US competetive again.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Also, a lot of the pictures showing D'Antoni pissed off aren't usually directed to the refs as much as they are to the players.

Although anytime the likes of Bennett Salvatore, Dick Bevetta, and Co. are officiating, it probably is the refs he's yelling at.

3 Ring Timmy
05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I give D`antoni props for having the ugliest frown that I can ever remember any one having.If frowns could break camera lenses,WOAI would have millions tuned in to the radio during this series. :huh

TOP-CHERRY
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
D'Antoni said: "There's NO ONE in the locker room that DOESN'T think we CAN'T go to San Antonio and WIN. We have a very good record on the road and we can do it."

Nobody else caught this?