PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed center of attention

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Mohammed center of attention
Web Posted: 05/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052705.4D.BKNspurs.mohammed.2b33fbe73.html

Basketball analysts love to talk about players who become "X-Factors" during the playoffs, which usually describes a player who exceeds expectations and produces more than during the regular season.

If there has been an X-Factor for the Spurs thus far this playoff season, it has been Nazr Mohammed.

Thrust into the Spurs' starting center role because of the ankle sprain suffered by Rasho Nesterovic on April 9, Mohammed has been the rebounder and interior defender coach Gregg Popovich expected he could be in the playoffs, but he has been a much better scorer than anyone thought possible.

Entering Saturday's Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, Mohammed is averaging 8.9 points in the Spurs' 13 playoff games, up from his average of 6.5 in the 22 regular-season games he played with the Spurs after the Feb. 24 trade that brought him from the New York Knicks, in exchange for Malik Rose. He scored 20 points in the first two games against the Suns.

"He's scoring in the playoffs more than we thought he would, for sure," Popovich said. "But rebounding-wise and blocking shots, he's been really good and progressed steadily since we traded for him. So that's something we've come to expect. The scoring, frankly, has been icing on the cake through the playoffs so far."

Mohammed may not be deferring to teammates as often when it comes to shooting, as he did when he first arrived after the trade, but he deflects the credit for his offensive improvement.

"It's not like I'm doing a lot of creating," he said. "I'm just hitting the offensive glass, and when they double-team Tim (Duncan), I'm getting to an open spot and making layups and dunks."

Further, Mohammed has combined with Robert Horry to form something of a tag team on the Spurs' frontline. Mohammed scores early, Horry late.

In Game 1 in Phoenix, Mohammed scored seven points and grabbed four rebounds in the first period, finishing with 11 points and eight rebounds in 23 minutes. In Game 2, he had eight points and three rebounds in the first, finishing with nine points and seven rebounds in 23 minutes.

Horry played nine of the 12 fourth-quarter minutes in Game1 and seven of the 12 fourth-quarter minutes in Game2. His clutch shooting in both games is well documented.

As mush as Popovich appreciates what Mohammed has given the Spurs early, he understands Horry's 13 years of playoff experience make him a fourth-quarter imperative.

Mohammed understands.

"No problem with that whatsoever," Mohammed said. "Rob is a clutch player who has made big shots out there for years. I'm comfortable with it. I know it's a dynamic at the end of the game. It's hard to guard him when this team is scrambling, and with the way Rob shoots that three, and with his experience, it's natural for him to be out there."

Mohammed also understood he was replacing one of the Spurs' most popular players when the Knicks sent him to San Antonio for Rose. It was important, he said, just to be himself.

"It was strange, but to be honest, when the trade happened, I felt more for (Malik) than about myself," Mohammed said. "He was loved in San Antonio, and still is, and is still loved by his teammates. I had just gotten to New York, and they were shoving me out the door when I got there.

"Coach Pop told me from Day One, don't try to be Malik Rose. Be Nazr Mohammed."

Mohammed has one season left on the five-year contract he signed in the summer of 2001, but he already has determined what he wants when he becomes a free agent next summer.

"I'd love to finish here in San Antonio, to be honest," he said.

Chris
05-27-2005, 12:36 AM
"I'd love to finish here in San Antonio, to be honest," Nazr Mohammed.

Who wouldn't?

milkyway21
05-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Entering Saturday's Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, Mohammed is averaging 8.9 points in the Spurs' 13 playoff games, up from his average of 6.5 in the 22 regular-season games he played with the Spurs after the Feb. 24 trade that brought him from the New York Knicks, in exchange for Malik Rose. He scored 20 points in the first two games against the Suns.

and the highest of the team's FG=56% in the playoffs:D

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:44 AM
"I'd love to finish here in San Antonio, to be honest," he said

sign
him
up
NOW!!!

SouthernFried
05-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Isn't he like 6 million a year or somthin'?

I mean, I think he's done great and all...but, Horry is only like 1-2 million/yr. He's in Ginobili/Parker territory with that type of salary.

Will he take less? Should he take less?

Mr. Body
05-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Horry's taking less because he's already got paid in his career. Mohammed's still a squirrel after a nut.

And it's not all that expensive nuts, either, for that kind of player.

Chris
05-27-2005, 03:07 AM
I don't think the 6 million number is a for sure thing so lets not jump to conclusions. I'm sure the Spurs will work out a "reasonable" deal.

Dingle Barry
05-27-2005, 03:11 AM
rose was only popular with basketball-ignorant spurs fans who love anyone who plays for the spurs, and are obsessed with anyone who plays for the spurs for more than 3 years.

exstatic
05-27-2005, 03:31 AM
Nazr is 27, and by big man standards is a bargain, when you look at deals like
Foyle's and Dumpier's. Horry is 34, and while I expect a nice thank you deal if SA wins, a la Danny Ferry's last contract ($4.5M/1yr), he shouldn't be considered a long term piece. It helps that he seems to really like it here, and it keeps him close to his daughter. His minutes also need to really be monitored to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs. I can see him playing two or three more years. I can see Nazr playing 10.

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 03:43 AM
I don't think the 6 million number is a for sure thing so lets not jump to conclusions. I'm sure the Spurs will work out a "reasonable" deal.

Just FYI, $6M isn't far off. Nazr is scheduled to make $5.5M next season.

Dingle Barry
05-27-2005, 03:45 AM
Rose's horseshit contract was a "thank you" deal. How about we dont do that anymore?

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 03:47 AM
Rose's horseshit contract was a "thank you" deal. How about we dont do that anymore?

It wasn't a thank you deal. The Lakers were offering him a similar contract and the Spurs did what they needed to do to keep him.

mavsfan1000
05-27-2005, 03:49 AM
Y'all should thank Isiah Thomas for being a idiot. He was a good point guard but a bad coach and manager. He and Weisbrod should hang out.

PM5K
05-27-2005, 03:53 AM
rose was only popular with basketball-ignorant spurs fans who love anyone who plays for the spurs, and are obsessed with anyone who plays for the spurs for more than 3 years.

You should stay away from the computer when you are drunk because the shit you spit makes you look like a fucking fool....

mavsfan1000
05-27-2005, 04:00 AM
Yeah. He used to be a mavs killer. He is a good player but if you have a chance to get younger and a better contract you have to take it. Mohammad has alot of upside.

Louae
05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
You should stay away from the computer when you are drunk because the shit you spit makes you look like a fucking fool....

What else would you expect from a Dingle Barry.. :drunk

Jimcs50
05-27-2005, 08:08 AM
We need to trade Rasho next year.

mavsfan1000
05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
You need Rasho as an extra body to guard Shaq with if Miami makes the finals.
Dalembert got punished bad by Shaq when he guarded him.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
You keep Rasho.

He's the best backup center in the league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
"I'd love to finish here in San Antonio, to be honest," he said

I'd love to see you finish down in San Antonio, Nazr.

Beating free agency to the punch next summer and extending Nazr this summer is a major hope of mine. Dude is going to blow up next year, we need to sign him before the Spurs staff has a chance to coach him up and wring out some more of the potential that is still there with Nazr.

Nazr is what we were looking for two years ago after DRob retired. Period.

mavsfan1000
05-27-2005, 06:05 PM
He would fit perfectly in Dallas.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Can we afford to sign Horry, Scola, Brown, and Nazr with the midlevel exception? If so whom are we going to let walk?

ChumpDumper
05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Can we afford to sign Horry, Scola, Brown, and Nazr with the midlevel exception? If so whom are we going to let walk?Only Scola needs to be paid with an exception. The Spurs have early Bird rights on Brown and Horry and full Bird rights on Nazr, who won't need to be re-signed next summer anyway - he's got a year left after this one.

ducks
05-27-2005, 06:42 PM
do spurs have big dog's bird rights?

ChumpDumper
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Nope, but is anyone going to give him much more than the vet minimum at this point? I'm not sure.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Nazr, who won't need to be re-signed next summer anyway - he's got a year left after this one.

While true in theory, I think that to get him at a cheaper deal we need to extend him this summer, and I'd bet Spurs management feels the same.

ChumpDumper
05-27-2005, 06:50 PM
True, but that wouldn't count until the following season as well.

Can't specualte too much on what the Spurs will spend on whom until the new CBA is hammered out.

E20
05-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Nazr has class. He fits in well. Please ink a deal Spurs FO.

ObiwanGinobili
05-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I;'m fine with paying Nazr 6 mil a year....
but i can't stand the fact that thats how much rasho is getting ... ugh.
I don't wanto to run him off, but i wish we could pay him less.

Supreme Allah
05-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Nazr's vast knowledge of the world has been a valuable asset for the spurs. The guiding light of allah has given Nazr, and the rest of the Spurs the knowledge and ability to accomplish anything they set their minds to.

angel_luv
05-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Nazr 's been a stud this year. I hope there is a way to keep both him and Rasho.

I would do that before bringing in anyone new. We are a championship caliber team as is. Why fix what isn't broken?

Chris
05-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Nazr 's been a stud this year. I hope there is a way to keep both him and Rasho.

I would do that before bringing in anyone new. We are a championship caliber team as is. Why fix what isn't broken?

Well spoken and I agree.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Sparky still wants Rose.