PDA

View Full Version : Johnson preparing for Game 3

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Johnson preparing for Game 3
Web Posted: 05/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052705.4D.BKNsuns.johnson.2b33fbd9b.html

PHOENIX — The only problem Joe Johnson has found with his new plastic facemask is that it makes him sweat.

But as long as its presence — and his — has the same effect on the Spurs, it's a nuisance Johnson is willing to overlook.

"I'll get used to it," he said, tossing the perspiration-soaked contraption aside.

Johnson, who hasn't played for Phoenix in more than two weeks after an ugly fall left him with a concussion and a broken bone under his left eye, returned to practice Thursday. And barring any bad news during a scheduled meeting with his doctor this morning, Johnson and the Suns expect him to be in the starting lineup for Game 3 of the Western Conference finals Saturday.

If he does return, Phoenix expects Johnson to make the same kind of impact he did before the injury.

"I don't see why not if he's ready to go, if he's playing at the level we need him to play at," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He's an important part of the team, and I've got as much faith in him as anybody."

Johnson, who still has blood in his eye as a remnant of the fall in which he crashed to the floor against Dallas on May 11, had three metal plates inserted in his face to repair the bone. He'll play the rest of the postseason wearing his protective mask, similar to the one worn by other players such as Detroit's Richard Hamilton and former Spur Will Perdue.

Told Perdue recommended driving with the mask on as a way to get used to it, Johnson didn't seem too enthusiastic about the suggestion.

"I don't need to do that," he said. "I don't have road rage or anything."

Actually, the mask does figure to have an effect on one form of driving — that of the Spurs' Tony Parker.

With Johnson out of the lineup in the first two games of the series, Parker was defended primarily by Steve Nash and took advantage of the matchup by repeatedly taking the ball inside.

In Game 3 on Saturday, Johnson will have the opportunity to slow Parker.

"He's been getting in the lane and getting a lot of those floaters," Johnson said. "By me guarding him, putting a bigger person on him, maybe he won't get so many easy shots."

Said D'Antoni: "I think Joe's our best weapon against (Parker)."

The addition of Johnson also should enable the Suns to get more rest for Nash, who sat for only 10 minutes during the first two games combined.

"With Steve Nash having to play 44 to 48 minutes, that's tough, because he has to guard so much, he's moving around so much," Johnson said. "I'll try to take a little pressure off of him."

It isn't only the defensive end of the floor where he can do that. Johnson was one of the Suns' most effective scorers during the first six games of the playoffs when he averaged 19 points per game and made 56percent of his 3-point attempts.

Whether he's able to match that production, he at least gives the Spurs something extra to think about on defense.

"You just add another guy who can break people down," D'Antoni said. "That can help us. We're getting back to the team that had the best record in the league."

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-27-2005, 12:37 AM
If the suns put Johnson on Parker, im guessing they'd put nash on Bowen, maybe the spurs should play a backcourt of Parker, Ginobili, Barry/big dog/beno a little bit, to keep Nash from having an easy time on the defensive end.

T Park
05-27-2005, 12:41 AM
This is where Big Dog would come in hand if available.

While decent on defense against a Joe Johnson or Shawn Marion, he also has to be respected on the offensive end, and he could go ahead and post up Nash all day long.

Pandaemonaeon
05-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Patiently awaiting errant Magic Johnson comparisons.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gif