PDA

View Full Version : TP-to-RJ Connection (Alley-oop)

NickiRasgo
12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
What can you say about it? It seems effective, everytime they execute this play, it works perfectly with the screen of Timmy also.

TIMMYD!
12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
They've run it more times already than they have last year and I think it has been almost 100% successful. They should run that play every game.

NickiRasgo
12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I searched in YouTube and I didn't notice that they're already doing it since last year. F*ck BTV/ESPN for not televising Spurs game here. They televised it but I think it's like twice a month or thrice.

NickiRasgo
12-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Y8wpvjyNZ-c
AKwG33SoUhA
8xlL8ktIkDw

timvp
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
TP went from one of the worst alley-oop passers I've ever seen prior to this season to being the best on the team now.

mathbzh
12-16-2010, 08:19 AM
They analyzed the TP-to-RJ Alley-oop from last Spurs-Hornet game in a French TV show (Canal NBA).
It showed a near perfect team execution (player movement, timing, screens...) leading to an "easy" Alley-oop.

8FOR!3
12-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Every time I see the pass I think "nope it's too high" and then RJ puts it down anyways lol.

bongraider
12-16-2010, 10:28 AM
that play works everytime. i cant believe teams havent scouted that out yet. soon enough they will.

PBEEZY
12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
that play works everytime. i cant believe teams havent scouted that out yet. soon enough they will.

A couple of times this year, i've seen teams realise that play and stop RJ's path. parker then normally just goes into a side pick & roll with Timmy. IIRC this happened against Portland two games ago. Considering they were one of the first teams we used the play on last year it seems they learnt their lesson.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Y8wpvjyNZ-c
AKwG33SoUhA
8xlL8ktIkDw

Did not realize they'd run that play successfully so many times. :toast

Sausage
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
It's not Parker to Jefferson, but this was just too good to not see again. And on top of that, the idiot GSW commentators.

KxTQa5dALtU

8FOR!3
12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
"He tried to ride him like a donkey."

Tried?

ohmwrecker
12-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised they only run this play once a game (and some games they don't do it at all). It's a good play that is hard to defend and a nice "go to" if they need a quick two. Until other teams start looking for it they should run it a couple of times a game.

Parker should work on the "no look" pass too.

angelbelow
12-16-2010, 04:25 PM
"He tried to ride him... like... a donkey!"

Waps1980
12-16-2010, 04:35 PM
If I recall the same play during the Mavs series last year but the pass was high but RJ got hold of it and the dunk was massive.

crc21209
12-16-2010, 04:36 PM
As long as TD gets the screen right, the play should work everytime. :tu

TJastal
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
As long as TD gets the screen right, the play should work everytime. :tu

What I was thinking too, unless that weakside defender is Tyrus Thomas or Dwight Howard there is no one who is going to elevate fast enough to stop the dunk.

Spurs Brazil
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
TP doing a great job in those passes to RJ

JR21
12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
It's not Parker to Jefferson, but this was just too good to not see again. And on top of that, the idiot GSW commentators.

KxTQa5dALtU
:owned:worthy::tu

LMAO! This is my 2nd favorite dunk of RJ coming in after the one where he posterized Oden last season. I remember watching that live I couldn't believe it, haven't seen something like that from our team in a while. This season and Spurs team is becoming very FUN to watch. Let's see what they have to say about us now... :lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-16-2010, 06:36 PM
jackie moon forum

NickiRasgo
01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Saw it against Lakers and Thunder. :toast

ShoogarBear
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
TP went from one of the worst alley-oop passers I've ever seen prior to this season to being the best on the team now.

Yeah, I'm wondering now how much of his prior horribleness had to do with trying to lob to Duncan. :lol It also probably matters that Parker always throws it from a stationary position. When he can make that pass on the break, then we'll know he's really learned something.

Hill seems to have learned how to run that play now, too.

pookenstein
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
They've run it more times already than they have last year and I think it has been almost 100% successful. They should run that play every game.

I think there was one game this season where Tony threw the pass, RJ got airborne and the defender met him at the rim to intercept the pass. But I don't remember which game it was. Maybe the Homegame vs Denver. But I'm not sure. But I remember that I thought that this was the first time I've seen this play didn't work.

They analyzed the TP-to-RJ Alley-oop from last Spurs-Hornet game in a French TV show (Canal NBA).
It showed a near perfect team execution (player movement, timing, screens...) leading to an "easy" Alley-oop.

Sean also did that last season and again this season.

GinobiliForTres
01-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Saw it against Lakers and Thunder. :toast

i remember seeing that. it looks like TP lost his balance so he just threw it up and RJ slammed it.

Spurologist
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM

KxTQa5dALtU

check the sig

DMC
01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Tried to ride him... like a donkey.. lol..

BackHome
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I have been very suprised with Tony in that he is starting to like getting assists and really looking at getting his players easy baskets. The lob pass is easy to defend but sooner or latter you can get one every game if you just wait for it...

superbigtime
01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Awesome clips. TP/RJ just another facet of great team chemistry. RJ and Tony having great years. Pop's rigorous offseason for RJ must have included donkey riding.

GinobiliForTres
01-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I have been very suprised with Tony in that he is starting to like getting assists and really looking at getting his players easy baskets. The lob pass is easy to defend but sooner or latter you can get one every game if you just wait for it...

before this season i was hearing a bunch of crap how TP is overrated cause he's not a legit PG cause he doesn't pass enough. bunch of shit.

lefty
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
OKC's defense looked really bad on that alley-oop

They left RJ all alone

DMC
01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
OKC looked bad all night. We didn't make them miss all those shots, layups and dunks (ok a couple of times we did). They just looked like shit. How many times did they get a steal only to turn it over before even setting up their offense?

However, if OKC wants to be in the conversation with the big boys out West, they cannot be given the "struggling team" out. If it was Dallas, LA, Denver or Utah, they just got their ass whipped. No reason to find scapegoats.

Seventyniner
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM

That's not saying much...

It's fairly easy to pick up on. The Spurs ran it at least 3 times against the Blazers and RJ was well defended.

This. Run it once, maybe twice a game; it works great as a decoy play. I'd love to see the Spurs fake that alley-oop and open up a 3-pointer on the opposite wing.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
It seems like they always run it from that side of the floor.

ducks
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM

they practiced that play in training camp

peskypesky
01-03-2011, 12:21 AM
What can you say about it? It seems effective, everytime they execute this play, it works perfectly with the screen of Timmy also.

i love it. seems to be money in the bank. RJ has always been a great slasher/finisher. but who knew Parker would be able to pass so well?

lurker23
01-03-2011, 01:47 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN

Per Elias, via @spurs: Parker and RJ have connected for seven alley-oops already. They hooked up eight times all of last season.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/21731360427216897

bongraider
01-03-2011, 01:48 AM
TP instantly becomes a great passer coz he's passing to a great finisher.

only seven alley oops? i would think more...

mathbzh
01-03-2011, 01:52 AM

This...
With the NT, Parker has had some success throwing Alley-Oops to the French athletes (Pietrus brothers, Batum, Turiaf...)

Dex
01-03-2011, 01:56 AM

only seven alley oops? i would think more...

Considering all seven (I believe) have come off that same back-screen play, still pretty impressive. It's not like this is Tyson Chandler where TP can just toss it up and have RJ finish it.

I'm sure teams scout for it, and all the bigman has to do is step up on the screen and bump RJ out of the play. But even knowing it's coming, it's gotta be hard watching for one trick play for an entire 48 minutes.

jermaine
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Is that play on 2k11 in the Spurs playbook?

duncan228
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Parker-to-Jefferson alley oop becoming lethal Spurs weapon (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/03/parker-to-jefferson-alley-oop-becoming-lethal-spurs-weapon/)
Tim Griffin

...“Shhhsh, let’s stop talking about it,” Parker joked after Sunday’s practice session. “If they put it on NBA Highlights, we won’t be able to run it anymore.”

Parker has been very judicious with the use of the play, getting an opportunity about every other game. But it has worked marvelously when it has been called.

“That’s the type of play you don’t want to use too much,” said Parker, who is averaging a career-best 7.1 assists per game this season. “We only don’t use it all the time because we don’t want the other teams to be able to read it.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/03/parker-to-jefferson-alley-oop-becoming-lethal-spurs-weapon/

alchemist
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
The scouting report is obviously out on this, can't remember which team it was recently that read that play as soon as it developed. They need to create a new scheme for Parker/RJ, Manu/RJ so he gets those easy alley-oops/dunks.

jimo2305
01-04-2011, 05:29 AM

KxTQa5dALtU

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3893/rjcowboy.png

NickiRasgo
06-28-2011, 07:11 AM
When is the last time or game that they executed this play?

Buddy Holly
06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Can't wait to see the TP to Kawhi Connection.

outmap
06-28-2011, 07:19 AM
I never saw them run this play in the playoffs against MEM.

ohmwrecker
06-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I never saw them run this play in the playoffs against MEM.

I don't recall seeing it after sometime in February. If RJ stays on this team, they are going to have to make a concentrated effort to get him involved offensively. His effort on both ends of the floor are directly correlated to his offensive production. The more dunks and 3 point touches he gets, the more he rebounds, blocks shots and gives effort on defense.
I know Popovich requires that his players sacrifice for the good of the team, but he just doesn't have those type of players anymore. Pop is going to have to modify his philosophy if he wants to maximize production out of guys like RJ and Blair. I guarantee that Bonner gets so many minutes because he's a "good soldier".
I know it's a drag to cater to the players who are bad system fits, but you have to exploit your rosters' strengths if you want to win. It's just that simple. RJ is not Bowen. Blair is not Rose. Bonner is, obviously, not Horry.
Splitter is actually Pop's kind of player. Hopefully, he gets the minutes he deserves. Pop is going to have to stop coaching the system so much and start coaching the players.

Dex
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I think the Spurs tried to run this against Memphis a couple times IIRC, but they always played it well. All the opponent has to do is recognize the set and keep a body on Jefferson when he rolls, and its pretty easy to thwart. Teams started figuring that out later in the season.

Cane
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
In the NBA everybody with an IQ knows eachothers plays and this was one that the league cracked down on. Its also basically the only alley-oop play the Spurs run.

Spurs also don't have the passers to really make RJ worth a damn kind of like Jason Richardson on the Magic.

Portland leads the league in alley-oops and they've got the passers, athletes, and plays to make it work but they also haven't won a playoffs series in a decade FWIW

Yorae
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Can tp make a pass far enough to make rj land in another team?

NickiRasgo
01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Wow. I just saw it again after a long time. Though it missed.

gospursgojas
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I was wondering what happened to that play

NickiRasgo
01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Saw it couple of times though the other one just the screen by Timmy and Leonard runs toward the basket but Parker didn't threw the ball and the other one Parker threw the ball to Leonard but it was deflected. Is this the first time they executed this again?

Fireball
01-14-2013, 05:03 AM
Saw it couple of times though the other one just the screen by Timmy and Leonard runs toward the basket but Parker didn't threw the ball and the other one Parker threw the ball to Leonard but it was deflected. Is this the first time they executed this again?

I saw all games this season and I think it was the first time they tried it ...

bklynspursfan
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
I saw all games this season and I think it was the first time they tried it ...

+1 I could've missed it, but this was the first time I've seen em' do it. I actually forgot about it till last night and was like oh yea, the RJ play lol. They should run it more I think.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Parker is just terrible on the fastbreak when it comes to not smoking people on his way to the rim.

Spurs7794
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Tp is a terrible alley oop passer. The only reason the one with RJ worked is because it was a set play. TP used to be good at throwing them to Tim when Tim would run the middle, stutter step at the freethrow line and take off behind his man. However, when it comes to throwing a well timed alley oop in a non set play, TP is pretty subpar.

He had one amazing 1 handed alleyoop pass to Manu on a fastbreak that Manu put down with one hand. That was the 2004 preseason against the Knicks and I remember thinking I'm going to see alot of that. Unfortunately, didn't happen.

FkLA
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Who gives a shit. Alley-oops are not classy. Thats why RJ is off the team.

therealtruth
01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Tp is a terrible alley oop passer. The only reason the one with RJ worked is because it was a set play. TP used to be good at throwing them to Tim when Tim would run the middle, stutter step at the freethrow line and take off behind his man. However, when it comes to throwing a well timed alley oop in a non set play, TP is pretty subpar.

He had one amazing 1 handed alleyoop pass to Manu on a fastbreak that Manu put down with one hand. That was the 2004 preseason against the Knicks and I remember thinking I'm going to see alot of that. Unfortunately, didn't happen.

This. Even if we got Blake Griffin I expect Parker would still struggle throwing alley-oop passes. Do you ever see Chris Paul saying stuff like that? Of course not, he throws an alleyoop to Blake Griffin whenever he wants. I am not knocking him, but Parker is just not a natural passer.

Seventyniner
01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
This. Even if we got Blake Griffin I doubt Parker would still struggle throwing alley-oop passes. Do you ever see Chris Paul saying stuff like that? Of course not, he throws an alleyoop to Blake Griffin whenever he wants. I am not knocking him, but Parker is just not a natural passer.

Also, lobs are a different kind of pass than threading the needle to a cutter, post entry, hitting a spot-up shooter in the hands, passes on the break, etc. Being bad at one doesn't necessarily affect the others.

Spurs7794
01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
This. Even if we got Blake Griffin I expect Parker would still struggle throwing alley-oop passes. Do you ever see Chris Paul saying stuff like that? Of course not, he throws an alleyoop to Blake Griffin whenever he wants. I am not knocking him, but Parker is just not a natural passer.

Yeah I'm not bashing Parker. He's a great and underrated system passer. He makes all the passes needed in our offensive system but he's not a natural, "see the floor and pick out the holes in a broken play" kind of guy.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Someone tell John Stockton that he's not a natural passer. :lmao :lmao :lmao

will_spurs
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Yeah I'm not bashing Parker. He's a great and underrated system passer. He makes all the passes needed in our offensive system but he's not a natural, "see the floor and pick out the holes in a broken play" kind of guy.

Even Parker would be benched by Pop for attempting an alley-oop when a simple layup or post move was enough. The guy on the receiving end would be in the doghouse.

An alley-oop is good for the highlight reel, but not a safe play.

Spurs7794
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Even Parker would be benched by Pop for attempting an alley-oop when a simple layup or post move was enough. The guy on the receiving end would be in the doghouse.

An alley-oop is good for the highlight reel, but not a safe play.

I doubt it...on a fastbreak, if he has a good angle, I don't think Pop would mind it. Its just that Parker usually has a one track mind on a fast break (and he is very effective at it).

will_spurs
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I doubt it...on a fastbreak, if he has a good angle, I don't think Pop would mind it. Its just that Parker usually has a one track mind on a fast break (and he is very effective at it).

And when he passes, Green misses the dunk...

NickiRasgo
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Finally! :toast

Spurs7794
04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Finally! :toast

You know, I felt like TP had that pass so many times this season but chose not to pass it. I'm starting to think they were just running the play in games to get repetition for the play and didn't want it to get scouted too much. If you guys remember, in 2011, the Spurs ran that successfully for RJ for the first half of the season...but then EVERYONE sniffed it out.

NickiRasgo
04-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Warriors have one too, though it's not alley-oop. Just saw it yesterday.

"Elevator Door"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151415584533477