PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Massenburg, Wilks 'invisible' reserves

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Series notebook: Massenburg, Wilks 'invisible' reserves
Web Posted: 05/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052705.4D.BKNspurs.notebook.2b33fbf05.html

Tony Massenburg has yet to play in the Western Conference finals, and Mike Wilks isn't even on the Spurs' playoff roster.

But that doesn't mean the two reserves don't have an important job during the series.

Massenburg has impersonated Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire during the Spurs' workouts. Wilks has doubled as point guard Steve Nash.

Together, they have tried to recreate the Suns' dangerous pick-and-roll combo.

"Tony Massenburg plays a good Amare as far as strength-wise," Robert Horry said. "Tony jumps good, but not as well as Amare. Mike Wilks is as fast as Steve but not as crafty. It's hard to simulate that."

So who's better? The original Stoudemire and Nash? Or the Spurs' version?

"I think they're as good as Steve and Stoudemire," Tony Parker said, smiling.

Back to work: After a one-day break, the Spurs gathered at their practice facility Thursday for a light practice.

Coach Gregg Popovich said Tim Duncan's left ankle was "fine." The team hopes to restore some of its health and energy before the fast-paced series resumes Saturday.

Parker gives thumbs up to commercial: 'Desperate Housewives' star Eva Longoria has a new NBA commercial airing during the playoffs. During the brief spot, she is sleeping with the league's championship trophy while wearing Parker's No.9 jersey.

Asked if he had seen the commercial, Parker, who is dating Longoria, nodded.

"It was good," he said, smiling.

Brown interviews with Cavs: Former Spurs assistant coach Mike Brown, now assistant head coach of the Indiana Pacers, has interviewed with the Cleveland Cavaliers for their vacant head coaching position and picked up a powerful endorsement.

Popovich said Brown is going to be "a heck of a catch" for any team smart enough to make him its head coach.

Good starts: After wining only two opening tips in the 11 games that comprised the Spurs' first two playoff series, center Nazr Mohammed won both opening tips in Phoenix.

"It's basically how the referee throws it up," Mohammed said. "And then you've just got to time it. I'm not a great flat-footed jumper so much. I'm more of a one-step jumper."

Lineup factors: Whether Joe Johnson is able to play in Game3 won't determine how the Spurs approach the game, according to Popovich.

"I think adjustments are overrated," Popovich said, when asked how the Spurs would adjust to Johnson's presence. "Guys are going to play well, or they're not.

"He's been one of their best players all year. They'd love to have him back. We'd love to have Devin Brown back. It adds to your depth. It adds to your confidence.

Sure, (Suns coach) Mike (D'Antoni) would love to have (Johnson) back. He's a heck of an addition."

No lectures necessary: As one of the few Phoenix players with significant postseason experience, Nash is expected to pass his share of playoff wisdom along to his fellow Suns.

But with Phoenix in a 2-0 deficit heading to the SBC Center for Game 3, he said he doesn't feel the need to say much.

"In some situations, guys might need reminders and some experience," Nash said.

"But in this situation, I think everyone realizes what's got to happen."

Chris
05-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Parker gives thumbs up to commercial: 'Desperate Housewives' star Eva Longoria has a new NBA commercial airing during the playoffs. During the brief spot, she is sleeping with the league's championship trophy while wearing Parker's No.9 jersey.

Asked if he had seen the commercial, Parker, who is dating Longoria, nodded.

"It was good," he said, smiling.\

I hope this doesn't turn out like Terrell Owen's stunt\TV ad during the NFL playoffs.

T Park
05-27-2005, 12:43 AM
"I think adjustments are overrated," Popovich said

yikes...

(waits for another aggie rant)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 12:51 AM
After a one-day break, the Spurs gathered at their practice facility Thursday for a light practice.

One day off, light practice the next, get ready to lose game 3.

Didn't we learn anything from the Seattle series?

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Watching and going ove rgame footage is much better way to prepare for a game.

Ask any NBA player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah it worked out great for us prior to game 4 vs. Seattle.

This team has a bad habit of letting up when it feels it's better than another team. We're up 2-0, and you just compounded the problem by giving the team one complete day off and another day of "light practice."

If I were a betting man, don't think I'd be putting anything on my boys Saturday :(

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 01:12 AM
If I were a betting man, don't think I'd be putting anything on my boys Saturday

You didn't think they'd win games five and six of the Sonics series either, so it's good for you to keep your money in your pocket :)

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Yeah bust there asses.

Fuck it if they are tired.

They flew in wednesday, so they should practice that day???

Fuck that. Give Duncan's ankles and Ginobili's body rest for christ sake.

Film and a walk through today, a good practice tommarow.

WTF is wrong with that.

Goddamn.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 01:13 AM
True dat :lol

I have the faith now that Pop puts the ball in Manu's hands in crunch time, but this whole one day off, one day of light practice smacks of arrogance, which typically results in this team getting run out of the gym.

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Watching and going ove rgame footage is much better way to prepare for a game.

NO ITS NOT!!!

BUST THERE ASSES

8 HOUR PRACTICES!!

FUCK THEM IF THEY ARE TIRED!!! {aggie}

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Tpark:

Shoulda watched film Wed.

If Tim and Manu are gimpy, let them sit out of practice and ride a bike.

Aggie Hoopsfan
BTW, nice overreaction and overexaggeration there, TFart.

T Park
but this whole one day off, one day of light practice smacks of arrogance

no it smacks of your best players are tired, WTF.....

What, hard run there ass off practices are needed???

Yeah fuck them for getting a day off.

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:15 AM
If Tim and Manu are gimpy, let them sit out of practice and ride a bike

That smacks of arrogance right there.

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Shoulda watched film Wed

whats the difference between watching it wednesday afternoon or thursday morning???

talk about overreaching.

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 01:18 AM
but this whole one day off, one day of light practice smacks of arrogance

Bullshit.

They of course got the day off after the trip. And what kind of practice did you want to today? 4 hours today, 4 hours tomorrow and no legs Saturday?

It's logical to have film session, lift, light practice today and then a heavier practice tomorrow. But even tomorrow shouldn't be THAT heavy. An hour or two of running plays after a good film session is adequate in the playoffs.

T Park
05-27-2005, 01:23 AM
It's logical to have film session, lift, light practice today and then a heavier practice tomorrow

No Aggie would conduct a Pat Riley practice so that the team is fucked for saturday.

4 hours today, 4 hours tomorrow and no legs Saturday?

DUH!!!!

Doesnt EVERY great team do THAT!??!?

Horry For 3!
05-27-2005, 03:22 AM
The Suns didn't pratice Wednesday, and they didn't do much Thursday either same as the Spurs. So there is nothing wrong with that, there is no advantage or disadvantage.

slayermin
05-27-2005, 04:09 AM
I couldn't pass up those 20-1 odds. In a way, I think that was a good luck charm because it just didn't look right. Thank you Spurstalk oddsmakers.

Dingle Barry
05-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Aggie basketball fans know everything about basketball. That should be evident.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 08:09 AM
What, hard run there ass off practices are needed???

Do you have any reading comprehension skills at all?

The Suns didn't pratice Wednesday, and they didn't do much Thursday either

if this is true I'm not as worried.