PDA

View Full Version : Pet vaccinations

SourCandy
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I figured anyone can google but I noticed many of you guys have pets. So why not ask here. Me and my room mate are planning to get a puppy. After considering how much time we have and what we want and overall cuteness we decided on a Lab. We have a big back yard for him.Plus we jog often. Looks like a classic good dog :)
I had dogs when I was a kid but not since I grew up. My room mate has had dogs and has more experience. Since we are getting this dog from a friend who's lab just had puppies we need to give our dog vaccinations. My question is how many will it need ? how much will each shot cost? Any where do you recommend me getting them? My pub is 3 months old.

Frenzy
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Copy cat.

SourCandy
12-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Copy cat.

lol shut up. besides you didnt want to help me :madrun

CosmicCowboy
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Shots are the cheap part. Labs are eating, shitting, hole digging destructo machines till they are about two years old. Then if you are lucky they quit tearing so much shit up but still eat like horses and cover your yard in land mines.

SourCandy
12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Shots are the cheap part. Labs are eating, shitting, hole digging destructo machines till they are about two years old. Then if you are lucky they quit tearing so much shit up but still eat like horses and cover your yard in land mines.

My friend's lab don''t seem that bad....pretty good actually which is why I wanted his pup..good genes maybe?:toast Maybe you need to train yours? I am over there often and his labs are well behaved. I don't know about the land mines though :lol

Thanks for ignoring my question :pimpslap

Viva Las Espuelas
12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
My friend's lab don''t seem that bad.and some parents say the same about their children......

CosmicCowboy
12-16-2010, 02:07 PM
My friend's lab don''t seem that bad....pretty good actually which is why I wanted his pup..good genes maybe?:toast Maybe you need to train yours? I am over there often and his labs are well behaved. I don't know about the land mines though :lol

Thanks for ignoring my question :pimpslap

I don't have labs but thanks for playing.

If the puppy is already 3 months old it should have already had all it's puppy shots.

Minimum should be combo vaccination at 6,9, and 12 weeks along with rabies at 12. Boosters at 1 year.

Bukefal
12-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Usually they give vaccinations against carre, parvo, rabies and weil disease or cocktails. But it depends where you live and depends of how old the dog is. For some vaccinations the puppy needs to be a bit older.

You should just go to a veterinarian in your area and ask for advice and they'll give your dog the right vaccinations.

TinTin
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Tlong is our animal fucking expert. Might want to pm him

mrsmaalox
12-16-2010, 03:34 PM

I heard that from my cousin at Thanksgiving (he has 2 labs he raised from pups) when someone was asking for dog recommendations. I didn't believe it until I stopped by with a donation at the Animal Defense League shelter last week. Man that place was crammed full of labs and Jack Russell terriers. You can just look at a Jack Russell and know that they are trouble, but the lab thing really surprised me.

Shelly
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
My sister has a lab and he's destroyed almost everything. Tore the stuffing right out of her couch.

I think you should go down to the pound or shelter and adopt a dog that nobody wants or one that's been found. My dog was roaming the streets years ago and we kept her. You could not ask for a better dog.

Shelly
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
double post

Viva Las Espuelas
12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
i'm glad you posted that twice. i finally got it on the second go 'round. :tu

Duff McCartney
12-16-2010, 05:36 PM
It depends where you go but usually they are about 50 bucks every time you go. For puppies you have to give them shots 3 times in the first few months. But after its every year.

mrsmaalox
12-16-2010, 05:39 PM
My sister has a lab and he's destroyed almost everything. Tore the stuffing right out of her couch.

I think you should go down to the pound or shelter and adopt a dog that nobody wants or one that's been found. My dog was roaming the streets years ago and we kept her. You could not ask for a better dog.

What a coincidence she happened to be wearing a Spurs headband ;)

Viva Las Espuelas
12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
It depends where you go but usually they are about 50 bucks every time you go. For puppies you have to give them shots 3 times in the first few months. But after its every year.

i'm sure there's low cost vaccinations down there. SNAP or SNYP.

CosmicCowboy
12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh, and if you do get it then get it fixed ASAP. Theres plenty of dogs already.

romad_20
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Pups usually need 4 sets of shots within the first 6 months. Price depends on where you live and your vet.

Frenzy
12-16-2010, 06:16 PM

The labs sour candy is referring to are my labs. The female needed training.. alot of it from biting (labs are mouthy). Basics like sit,stay,roll over,speak and potty training was fairly easy. The male was a natural very good dog hardly any training. Cowboy is right about the land mines haha. However we didn't have that prob long. We have a dirt pile in the corner of the yard he uses. So combined with training and luck of the dog having brains you may get a easy lab or hard headed lab. Mine are great. I think its the rep...a lot of people say labs this labs that. Same with pit bulls being vicious..which they have a rep for. Obviously not all are bad.

Duff McCartney
12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
i'm sure there's low cost vaccinations down there. SNAP or SNYP.

Yeah but their vaccinations aren't that much cheaper than any regular place. The vaccines for my dogs were 50 dollars.

CuckingFunt
12-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Man that place was crammed full of labs and Jack Russell terriers. You can just look at a Jack Russell and know that they are trouble

Jack Russells are absolutely fabulous dogs, I think people just don't realize what they're getting into when they decide on terriers.

Kori Ellis
12-17-2010, 02:59 AM
http://www.lowcostvacc.com/ - the prices, locations, and everything else are on the site. It's mobile and usually sets up in HEB/Walgreen's etc parking lots around town. Scroll down and you'll see the schedule.

RedsLakers24
12-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Food is the expensive thing, my doberman has destroyed everything in our house, he just turned a year old, but he's a good friendly dog. And buy it good food, dont buy any cheap food, dont buy food with grain or corn on it.

mrsmaalox
12-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Jack Russells are absolutely fabulous dogs, I think people just don't realize what they're getting into when they decide on terriers.

True. It's so sad because JR's especially are so extremely intelligent, but I think people look at their compact size and think "lapdog" instead of "energetic and curious". If you don't provide outlets for the dog to work off the energy and curiosity, he'll provide his own, mostly by tearing shit up.

mrsmaalox
12-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I had my cats spayed at SNAP. It was $50 per cat, plus they gave me coupons for $25 rebates from one of the veterinary supply companies. It was quite a bargain considering my vet would have charged $125 each---but he'd have given me a discount for rescuing them. When you add vaccinations ($300 for both cats), those "free" cats get expensive real fast!

Of course after I saved all that dough, one of the cats got her ass kicked by the neighborhood thug cat, requiring a surgery to the tune of $450 :lol

SourCandy
12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.lowcostvacc.com/ - the prices, locations, and everything else are on the site. It's mobile and usually sets up in HEB/Walgreen's etc parking lots around town. Scroll down and you'll see the schedule.
Why isn't your board more helpful :ihit ha jk thanks

I had my cats spayed at SNAP. It was $50 per cat, plus they gave me coupons for $25 rebates from one of the veterinary supply companies. It was quite a bargain considering my vet would have charged $125 each---but he'd have given me a discount for rescuing them. When you add vaccinations ($300 for both cats), those "free" cats get expensive real fast!

Of course after I saved all that dough, one of the cats got her ass kicked by the neighborhood thug cat, requiring a surgery to the tune of $450 :lol

:lol

hitmanyr2k
12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

I had a black lab at one time and I agree they require a lot of attention so people should know what they're in for. My dog got up to 100 pounds and he was a handful...had a lot of energy, ate a ton of food. When they get bored they simply tear stuff up to pass time lol. Luckily my lab didn't do too much damage to my house. Just a few shoes were chewed up. I found that they need long walks to wear them out and chew toys for their boredom. They're great family dogs and love to play. My lab loved the water as well and used to beg to be hosed down so giving baths wasn't a problem.

My neighbor is a nurse who works long hours and she has a black lab now. Similar to Shelly's story her lab got bored and tore the stuffing out of her couch...completely hollowed it out :lol

GoodOdor
12-20-2010, 05:25 AM
You people simply didn't train your labs. I have a second generation lab now, and she never tore anything up. The key is some intensive training when they are puppies. Put in the hard work then, and you won't have any problem with them for the rest of your life.