PDA

View Full Version : Those "old" Spurs have risen to 8th in "future" rankings by ESPN

Rummpd
12-16-2010, 02:54 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FuturePowerRankings-2-101216

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. San Antonio Spurs | Future Power Rating: 581

PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
222 (9th) 185 (1st) 73 (23rd) 64 (7th) 37 (23rd)

The Spurs continue to be the most resilient team in the league. For years we've been expecting some sort of slippage on the court, but the team continues to perform at an elite level season after season.

But it can't last forever. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Antonio McDyess and Richard Jefferson, all at least 30 years old, can't keep going at this pace, and Tony Parker (28) is the only proven veteran in his prime.

The good news is that the Spurs have slowly been injecting some youth into the program, as George Hill (24), DeJuan Blair (21) and Tiago Splitter (25) all appear to have bright futures.

Given the Spurs' stellar management, we think they'll continue to find ways to keep themselves in contention. Despite the occasional misfire (e.g., trading Luis Scola, drafting Ian Mahinmi), the Spurs' brainpower and spending power make it hard to be too pessimistic about their future.

(Previous rank: 10) [1-5 = Heat/OKT/Lakers/Bulls/Jazz]

The Spurs future might not be as dire as some make it out to be. IMO this may be somewhat pessimistic as Manu and Duncan could both play at their current level 2-3 more years and if Anderson come back and comes on the next several years could still be pretty darn good.

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
nice.. exactly what i wanted to read.

Thanks

Cane
12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
The Spurs have done a pretty good job of surrounding the Big 3 with talent especially this offseason. When it comes to the near future of the West I think the Spurs will still be competitive especially as four previously elite teams decline and rebuild: Portland (Roy's knees, Oden, probably blow up the team), Phoenix (too old, no regular season superstar), Nuggets (probably losing Melo), and Houston (Yao's basically done). The Hornets are probably done as well if they can't keep CP3 happy or find a New Orleans owner. Western teams with promising talent like the Clippers, Wolves, and Kings are hindered by relatively low quality organizations that lack a strong culture and an environment that promotes sustained excellence. I see the future top 5 teams being some order of OKC, Jazz, Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs for years to come but who knows what the CBA, health, etc has in store.

I think losing McDyess next season is going to hurt the Spurs though and its an underrated concern (then again this season barely started). His excellent midrange shot, size/strength, defensive tenacity, veteran intangibles/experience, etc just isn't easily replaced in the league. Guys like Tiago and Blair should be getting more minutes next season in the place of McDyess + Duncan's also only getting older but they can't space the floor. Hopefully they can develop a consistent shot with more help from Chip.

JR3
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
interesting no mention of anderson in the article.

Rummpd
12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
That is why I added him! He based on his early flashes and collegiate potential - could be a Sean Elliott type of player and is so under the radar it is funny.

kaji157
12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, and they didnīt even name James Anderson and Gary Neal (who is 26 i think).
I think with one good draft pick this team may be set for reconstruction after Manu and TD leave and Tony is traded.
(because no way Tony stays to mentor the youngsters, he is just not built that way)