PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Bucks - Dec. 15

timvp
12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Bucks (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-bucks/)

As of late, the Spurs M.O. has been to kept it close in the first half before using the second half to pull away. Against the Bucks, the opposite was true. The Spurs played well early to build a 16-point halftime lead … but then struggled in the second half while watching the Bucks make a strong rally. Thankfully, Manu Ginobili delivered a game-winning step-back jumper at the buzzer to give the Spurs a 92-90 victory. Next, the 21-3 Spurs travel to Denver to play the Nuggets on a back-to-back.

Tim Duncan A-
Even though Tim Duncan’s scoring hasn’t always been there this season, he’s been relatively consistent on the defensive end. Versus the Bucks, Duncan had one of his better games contesting shots at the rim — finishing with a season-high seven blocks. He also did good work on the boards. Duncan’s offense wasn’t always pretty but he was physical and made a lot of good decisions.

Manu Ginobili A-
First of all, that was a very impressive shot that gave the Spurs the win. The degree of difficulty was off the charts. Overall, I thought Ginobili played well. He was very aggressive on the glass, his scoring efficiency was great and he played very good team defense. On the other hand, Ginobili’s individual defense wasn’t very good and his four turnovers hurt the team.

Tony Parker A-
Tony Parker had another very good defensive effort. He played a large role in Brandon Jennings going 4-for-18 from the floor. Racking up eight assists to only two turnovers was also good work. His scoring was inconsistent and he had trouble with Milwaukee’s size.

Richard Jefferson B+
Richard Jefferson had a solid outing, although he could have done more. He missed some open shots and bungled a few fast break opportunities. He made up for his miscues by rebounding very well and playing quality defense.

DeJuan Blair C-
Before leaving the game with a knee injury, DeJuan Blair wasn’t doing too well. He had four turnovers in only 18 minutes and wasn’t rebounding any near his normal level. On the defensive end, he was a bit better than average; he’s playing much better perimeter defense over the last two weeks.

George Hill C
George Hill had his first sub par game in a long while. He just wasn’t very aggressive on either end. When Hill’s passive, he quickly becomes a very average role player. Let’s hope Hill can quickly return to being one of the best bench players in the league. His six points against the Bucks broke his streak of 11 straight games scoring in double digits.

Matt Bonner D
Even though Matt Bonner hit 3-of-4 shots from the field, he hurt San Antonio on Wednesday night. His inability to rebound the ball almost allowed the Bucks to steal the game late. He also gave up driving lanes all night long and his rotations were slow.

Antonio McDyess B+
Antonio McDyess was the only bench player who performed well. He gave very good energy and his hustle sparked a few runs. On offense, McDyess hasn’t looked completely comfortable in a while. He’s second-guessing his shot attempts and tiptoes the line between making good passes and attempting passes that are too risky.

Gary Neal D
In his 12 minutes, Neal didn’t do much right. His defensive rotations were a wreck, he missed 4-of-5 shots and was holding onto the ball too long at times. Neal had a few good moments playing one-on-one defense and continued being aggressive even when struggling … but the Spurs need him to play better to continue getting consistent playing time.

ohmwrecker
12-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Not so quick this time, pardnah.

Pauleta14
12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks timvp!

Just in time... ;)

Nathan89
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I will not accept the idea of the big 3 getting A's and the Spurs only winning by 2. To me this is not possible.

Dex
12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
timvp's grade: A

carina_gino20
12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
*keep.

Sorry. I couldn't help it. :lol

SpursDynasty85
12-16-2010, 08:36 PM
I will not accept the idea of the big 3 getting A's and the Spurs only winning by 2. To me this is not possible.

3 on 8 or 9 is too much to handle, even for the Manu/Timmy/Parker

ducks
12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
On the other hand, Ginobili’s individual defense wasn’t very good and his four turnovers hurt the team.

then how in the hell does he still get a a minus

b is what he deservers

ducks
12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
hill was not agressive
shot blocker bogut

ducks
12-16-2010, 09:41 PM
manu should get a c

getting blocked by bogut after watching tp getting blocked
then trying a layup on bogut 2 times in a row right after and getting his weak stuff blocked

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Great game to watch, although that late fade was annoying.

The Bogut-Duncan block party was great from the perspective of a salty old low-post dawg like myself. :D

Pop really screwed up in this game - way overplayed Bonner. Bonner is useful in short spurts against the right players - for example, he can guard Ilyasova, but Gooden owned him. Even when this was obvious, Pop left the Rocket out there and almost cost us the game. I'd really like to know why he isn't using Splitter more against guys like Gooden.

The other thing I really enjoyed was RJ - he had a terrible first Q, but rather than giving up he came on stronger, kept fighting, and eventually played a strong role for the team. Last year he would have folded like a 9-4 offsuit. Keep up the intensity, RJ. :tu

DMC
12-16-2010, 09:48 PM

It is possible if you consider Pop probably gets a B- for keeping Bonner in far too long and distracting his players with the "FOUL HIM" sideline remote control screaming. Pop, if you want a player to foul, tell THAT player to foul. Having RJ point down court and mouth "foul" doesn't get it done.

DMC
12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
On the other hand, Ginobili’s individual defense wasn’t very good and his four turnovers hurt the team.

then how in the hell does he still get a a minus

b is what he deservers
Take off your hatervision glasses. Without Manu, the Spurs lose.

You cannot give the game winning shot anything less than A-.

ducks
12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
timvp wrote most of that not ducks