PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rodriguez: Sweet Therapy For Stan Albeck

Spurs Brazil
12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Sweet Therapy For Stan Albeck

He is enjoying the view from the Spurs bench, a dignitary during warmups. As the pre-game buzz builds and the AT&T Center fills, a distinguished gentleman in a gray pullover sweater trains his eye on No. 20, his favorite player, and watches him launch a three.

The ball falls through the net. Manu Ginboili spins around and walks over to shake the man’s hand. "Hey coach," Ginobili begins, "how are you?"

Stan Albeck nods and smiles, his ability to speak hindered by a stroke he suffered nine years ago. Ginobili extends his hand to Phyllis Albeck, seated next to her husband. "How are the twins," she asks.

"Just fine," he replies.

Manu and the Mrs. exchange pleasantries until Matt Bonner stops by. "Hey coach," he says, and the greeting puts a smile on the 79-year-old man that could light up the giant scoreboard above.

Keep reading: http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/101215_rodriguez.html

jjktkk
12-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for posting. Stan Albeck was a very good coach in his own right. Those were some really good Spurs teams back in the 80's. Unfortunately, those Spurs teams always had to run into the Lakers come playoff time.

my2sons
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Stanley screamer is one of my all time favorite spurs...hope he's doing well

E-RockWill
12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Coach Albeck and his wife are two of the nicer people you'll meet around the AT&T center. I enjoy talking to them when I get the chance.

Agreed.

Capt Bringdown
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice story.
I didn't know about Pop inviting Albeck and his wife to ride in the victory parade, that's pure class.
Spurs are good people.

Capt Bringdown
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice story.
I didn't know about Pop inviting Albeck and his wife to ride in the victory parade, that's pure class.
Spurs are good people.