PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson's balls..

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Shooting 70% in the 4th quarter from the field and from 3-point range..has made some key daggers in a number of games this year..

His balls have been sagging to the floor this year, unlike last season..hopefully he can do it when it matters in the playoffs, but he's been clutch as fuck this season, good start..let's all pray that his balls don't get dry in May..

rayray2k8
12-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Hopefully...

pawe
12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Earning his money! His 4th qtr 3 pointer was big tonight!

lefty
12-17-2010, 02:06 AM
It's only December

crc21209
12-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Shit I don't care if it's only December because last Mays version of RJ was nowhere near as clutch as RJ is now...the dude hits shots and makes plays when you need them the most, in the 4th. :tu

DesignatedT
12-17-2010, 02:15 AM
shittin on the haters...

rayray2k8
12-17-2010, 02:18 AM
shittin on the haters...

Not sure who the haters are at this point? :huh

I remember seeing a thread 3-4 games into the season and someone gave major props to RJ.
I on the other hand said that we should wait at least 10 games before we could say that Jefferson has
turned over a new leaf. Now I can honestly say that he's 1 of the reasons why the Spurs are off to a hot start.
What we expected from him last year, he's doing a year later.

Props :tu

For now....

DesignatedT
12-17-2010, 02:20 AM
haters will always be the ones claiming it was the "worst signing in spurs history"

EricB
12-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Worst contract in Spurs history according to the experts here.

rayray2k8
12-17-2010, 02:30 AM
You can't blame people for being critical of the signing especially with the 1st year he had and the amount he was getting.
But so far he's been a bargain for level of play he's been playing.

Besides, he isn't the worst contract signing ever...
Bonner is. :lol

EricB
12-17-2010, 02:38 AM
You can't blame people for being critical of the signing especially with the 1st year he had and the amount he was getting.
But so far he's been a bargain for level of play he's been playing.

Besides, he isn't the worst contract signing ever...
Bonner is. :lol

Yeah Bonner sure was horrible tonight with his 10 and 4.

DesignatedT
12-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Yeah, fuck Bonner and his 53% average from behind the arc.

MaNu4Tres
12-17-2010, 02:41 AM
What matters is he fixed his stroke and is now a reliable and legitimate 40% 3 point threat like he was the year before he came over.

That being said, R.J will get these 3 point opportunities later on in the year when they count even more ( in the playoffs). Some will go down, some will not, but let's hope he takes full advantage of the small sample size of 3 point attempts he will receive.

Let's remember, not even the best 3 point clutch shooters in history have been clutch every year in the playoffs. This is because of how small the sample size of attempts are per playoff run. People are human and people will miss, even Horry.

Imagine if Horry wasn't given the opportunities every year ( being on a championship level team every year). Horry had many years (2003,2004,2006,2008) where he failed in the clutch. Luckily enough for him, he played on teams that gave him the opportunities to have a big enough sample size of attempts to where his 3 point percentage met the rightful median over the course of his career in the playoffs. Some of those playoff attempts happened to be in crucial moments, where he succeeded but lets remember he also failed at times too.

That's why I don't understand how some people say " Oh well this guy has no balls in the playoffs, because he went 0-4 in game 2 of this series yada yada." When they are talking about a player that doesn't even have a large enough sample size to assess the players real ability accurately.

I'm just glad R.J has improved his 3 point shot immensely. I was convinced it could be done given his rap sheet prior to coming to the Spurs ( him shooting 40% in Milwaukee). Let's just hope he is on the right side of attempts made with the small sample size he will receive come May and hopefully June.

timvp
12-17-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm shocked a thread with this title didn't evoke a Luke Walton comment within the first hour . . .

EricB
12-17-2010, 02:49 AM
IMO he doesn't get enough shots or offense run through him.

IMO his minutes should while Anderson is out be raised, and Ginobilis could be cut down a hair, while running offense through him hill and Blair or others.

IMO Pops under utilizing him to an extent.

rayray2k8
12-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Oh yeah, every fucking 5 games he goes off..
But it doesn't matter, I can't wait to see him in the playoffs when he's clutch....
Oh wait..

:rolleyes

EricD
12-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Oh yeah, every fucking 5 games he goes off..
But it doesn't matter, I can't wait to see him in the playoffs when he's clutch....
Oh wait..

:rolleyes

Nice post .... Not :td

TE
12-17-2010, 04:17 AM
hopefully he'll have his balls in may, june.

angelbelow
12-17-2010, 04:18 AM
haters will always be the ones claiming it was the "worst signing in spurs history"

Worst contract in Spurs history according to the experts here.

This is about as annoying as the "experts." Regardless, there aren't many haters left, perhaps you guys should drop the act too.

To be objective, its really not hard to see why people thought of the situation in a negative light. Its not always reason to assume a 30 year old is going to make such a dramatic difference during a summer.

My personal take was that I would rather have RJ at the 3 than having just 1 James Anderson. Our SF situation was too unstable, and given the lack of quality 3s that we could sign for the amount we had, it was no brainer to me to resign RJ. But even so, I thought the contract was excessive. Especially because there was no one on the market that can pay him remotely that much. As a business, why not low ball him more - that was the real concern most had.

MaNu4Tres
12-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Especially because there was no one on the market that can pay him remotely that much. As a business, why not low ball him more - that was the real concern most had.

Maybe because the Spurs' contract with R.J was pre-arranged before the opt-out even happened?

Which is why R.J didn't even worry about the free agency process, which was evident by him skipping out to vacation overseas with Kareem Rush, Luke Walton and friends. Ever thought of that?

If R.J was really looking at other teams or if he did not have a contract pre-arranged already with the Spurs, wouldn't he at least visited other teams? Or stayed in the states for potential visits?

With how everything transpired, it only made sense that the deal was agreed on way before the Spurs let on because of the rules. Spurs stayed ahead of the game like they always do. IMO

angelbelow
12-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Maybe because the Spurs' contract with R.J was pre-arranged before the opt-out even happened?

Which is why R.J didn't even worry about the free agency process, which was evident by him skipping out to vacation overseas with Kareem Rush, Luke Walton and friends. Ever thought of that?

If R.J was really looking at other teams or if he did not have a contract pre-arranged already with the Spurs, wouldn't have he at least visited other teams? Or stayed in the states for potential visits?

With how everything transpired, it only made sense that the deal was agreed on way before the Spurs let on because of the rules. Spurs stayed ahead of the game like they always do. IMO

I said that was concern most had at the time. There was some hater chatter but most of the discussion was based on the numbers regarding his contract. After the dust settled what you're saying is perfectly logical and probably accepted by most NBA fans.

Btw, Kareem Rush was in that picture too? :lol

mingus
12-17-2010, 04:33 AM
RJ has been great. I supported the signing from the start because I was one of the few posters on here saying the Spurs were legit title contendersand his quantum leap would be a reason.

However, I've also stated many a time that Tiagos gotta be a big part of this team, and he isn't at this point. That worries me.

TJastal
12-17-2010, 04:41 AM
I said that was concern most had at the time. There was some hater chatter but most of the discussion was based on the numbers regarding his contract. After the dust settled what you're saying is perfectly logical and probably accepted by most NBA fans.

Btw, Kareem Rush was in that picture too? :lol

+1

For what they are getting out of RJ this year the contract seems justified now. I can admit I was wrong.

Though the 11 million player option in year 4 is excessive. Spurs really bent over for RJ on that.

MaNu4Tres
12-17-2010, 04:44 AM
There was some hater chatter but most of the discussion was based on the numbers regarding his contract.

Yes his contract is a little excessive, but to me it's not overpaid by much (if it is, we really don't know because he didn't really test his market value during the free agent process).

I think the numbers were agreed on before the free agency ever started. It's not just a coincidence that R.J said he would opt out if he could net a 4 year 40 million contract in April. Then 3 months later he signs a 4 year 39 million dollar contract with the Spurs. ( Meaning this deal was possibly discussed and agreed on as early as April.)

We also don't know what R.J's agent was telling potential suitors during the free agency process. If R.J had agreed under the table with the Spurs before he officially opted- out or before free agency even started (which obviously is the case), then it's obvious why potential suitors weren't going after him ( he wasn't available and had already made a decision; meaning his agent wasn't taking calls or putting forth the effort into promoting R.J to potential suitors).

Therefore, for some people to say "Nobody wanted R.J and Spurs overpaid and could have signed R.J for 4-5 million," is pretty damn foolish. IMO

All in all, Spurs obviously did the smart thing by taking advantage of a sure thing, rather than roll the dice and flirt with the possibility of losing R.J to free agency by not agreeing with him before the period started. Had the Spurs let R.J test the free agency ( by electing to play hard ball), Ime Udoka or Bobby Simmons could very well be the starting small forward right now.

rayray2k8
12-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Nice post .... Not :td

Back to back choke jobs not good enough? How about a 3rd disappearing act this spring?
Book it. :tu

TJastal
12-17-2010, 05:09 AM
I think the numbers were agreed on before the free agency ever started. It's not just a coincidence that R.J said he would opt out if he could net a 4 year 40 million contract in April. Then 3 months later he signs a 4 year 39 million dollar contract with the Spurs. ( Meaning this deal was possibly discussed and agreed on as early as April.)

We also don't know what R.J's agent was telling potential suitors during the free agency process. If R.J had agreed under the table with the Spurs before he officially opted- out or before free agency even started (which obviously is the case), then it's obvious why potential suitors weren't going after him ( he wasn't available and had already made a decision; meaning his agent wasn't taking calls or putting forth the effort into promoting R.J to potential suitors).

Therefore, for some people to say "Nobody wanted R.J and Spurs overpaid and could have signed R.J for 4-5 million," is pretty damn foolish. IMO

I seriously doubt that the deal was "prearranged". I'd say its more likely that's just the contract RJ wanted, and when he was blurbing it to the media he was sending out "feelers" for any potential suitors (npi) that might be interested. If he had a prearranged deal in place why would he say anything?

That was simply the type of contract he was looking for, and that's the contract he recieved from the spurs because they were so afraid of paying luxury tax for one year so they buckled to his initial demand. :rolleyes

TJastal
12-17-2010, 05:14 AM
The 3 month delay from the time he made his pitch in the media and his signature on the dotted line should also be a clue it wasn't a prearranged deal.

MaNu4Tres
12-17-2010, 05:20 AM
The 3 month delay from the time he made his pitch in the media and his signature on the dotted line should also be a clue it wasn't a prearranged deal.

He couldn't sign anything til mid-July.

So I don't get what you're trying to say.

Buddy Holly
12-17-2010, 05:31 AM
It's only December

LOL remember when that was said last season when they we're playing bad. It became a running joke of "it's only [insert month]."

I don't miss those days.

TJastal
12-17-2010, 05:38 AM
He couldn't sign anything til mid-July.

So I don't get what you're trying to say.

You're right, partially. There was still a significant gap in the time he could sign (July 9th) and the time he actually signed (July 22nd) which suggests to me that contract details were being worked out at that time.

angelbelow
12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes his contract is a little excessive, but to me it's not overpaid by much (if it is, we really don't know because he didn't really test his market value during the free agent process).

All in all, Spurs obviously did the smart thing by taking advantage of a sure thing, rather than roll the dice and flirt with the possibility of losing R.J to free agency by not agreeing with him before the period started. Had the Spurs let R.J test the free agency ( by electing to play hard ball), Ime Udoka or Bobby Simmons could very well be the starting small forward right now.

IIRC no one was expecting 4-5 million. I think the most generous number was 7 million, I personally expected at least 8/year. I definitely agree that it was smart to resign RJ - given the lack of quality SFs at the time. But I, along with many, others felt that he was overpaid at the time. Even so, I thought it was the right move, simply because RJ's talent and resume helped me remain optimistic that he can turn things around.

Present day, RJ is worth every penny so far. The change is so dramatic that some have called him a most improved player candidate.

MaNu4Tres
12-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Back to back choke jobs not good enough? How about a 3rd disappearing act this spring?
Book it. :tu

Who are you talking about?

ohmwrecker
12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I heard that stat too. 68% FG and 70% 3PT in 4th quarter play. Ridiculous. He has improved so much from a fundamental standpoint that I would be shocked if he slid back to last season's form. He still has to keep it up to play up to that contract, but if he contributes to a 5th LOB, it will be hard to complain.

Oh, yeah . . . I almost forgot . . .

scoreboard!

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
yeah.....

DMC
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I always think it's funny to see the accolades vs the rants hoisted on players who play the exact same game with different shooting results. A player like Bonner could shit on the floor and sit there and paint his name in it for half the game, get up and hit a few threes and he's good. Let him play good defense, set good picks and get some boards, but doink his shots (same shots), he's a turd painter.