PDA

View Full Version : ESPN First Take "ban"

Sisk
12-17-2010, 12:19 PM
At the very beginning of 1st and 10 skip goes off about the Spurs and how clutch "that #20 is" etc. Then Jay says something along the lines of "you're really heated about that Spurs ban."

Anyone know what he is talking about?

Cane
12-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe ban as in bandwagon but I didn't see it.

JsnSA
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Was Skip agreeing or disagreeing with Manu being clutch?

At the very beginning of 1st and 10 skip goes off about the Spurs and how clutch "that #20 is" etc. Then Jay says something along the lines of "you're really heated about that Spurs ban."

Sisk
12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Was Skip agreeing or disagreeing with Manu being clutch?

Agreeing. He said he was underrated too.

There has to be something to this. It wasn't a bandwagon reference, Skip was not happy that the Spurs weren't a topic.

NASpurs
12-17-2010, 01:09 PM

Because Skip is always mentioning the Spurs and how they don't get respect. How people are always calling them the old, slow boring Spurs and how before this season people said the Spurs were done yet they're first in the league. Anyway he always kept bringing up the Spurs and mentioning the Spurs from now on has been "banned". Don't know how serious it is though.

It's funny because after that, the topic was about the Heat who are mentioned ad nauseum.

Spurs rock
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe the Spurs are banned from First Take???

Glenn Holland
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
another insecure spurs fan.

you honestly think ESPN would fucking ban the Spurs from being a topic?

Actually, I do..
Because no one...and I mean no one, outside of SAN ANTONIO cares about what the Spurs do.

The Parker/Longoria/Barry drama was the most ink the Spurs will ever get on a national level.

Venti Quattro
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
ginobili's ban spot

TJastal
12-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Actually, I do..
Because no one...and I mean no one, outside of SAN ANTONIO cares about what the Spurs do.

The Parker/Longoria/Barry drama was the most ink the Spurs will ever get on a national level.

Bi-polar much?

Glenn Holland
12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Bi-polar much?
Shitty come back, dickless.

TJastal
12-17-2010, 01:21 PM

bQlpDiXPZHQ

ohmwrecker
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Skip rides the Spurs nuts pretty hard tbh. They probably banned him from talking about them after they were ousted from the playoffs last season.

SenorSpur
12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Agreeing. He said he was underrated too.

There has to be something to this. It wasn't a bandwagon reference, Skip was not happy that the Spurs weren't a topic.

...and they damn sure ought to be. They are THE hot NBA teams and deserve a segment of their own.

There seems to be something to this apparent ban. This was not the first time I've heard him say this. I don't have any details and apparently it must be real. I've emailed them, but so far - no response.

Leetonidas
12-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Shitty original troll attempt, tbh. Well, Glenn Holland is actually just a shitty troll in general. Congrats douche bag. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
bspn = fox news

only report shit they want u to follow

Sisk
12-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Because Skip is always mentioning the Spurs and how they don't get respect. How people are always calling them the old, slow boring Spurs and how before this season people said the Spurs were done yet they're first in the league. Anyway he always kept bringing up the Spurs and mentioning the Spurs from now on has been "banned". Don't know how serious it is though.

It's funny because after that, the topic was about the Heat who are mentioned ad nauseum.

Thank you :toast

Cry Havoc
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Actually, I do..
http://imgur.com/tu9dE.jpg

Leftyventricle
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
From skips twitter:

RealSkipBayless
On 1st&10, I'm now no longer allowed to talk about the NBA that won the late game on TNT or that ancient Argentine w/ surpreme clutch gene.

IceColdBrewski
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
From skips twitter:

RealSkipBayless
On 1st&10, I'm now no longer allowed to talk about the NBA that won the late game on TNT or that ancient Argentine w/ surpreme clutch gene.

"The Argentine with the supreme clutch gene."

Good stuff.

nkdlunch
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
that's fucking gay of ESPN.

TE
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
What's new?

mingus
12-17-2010, 04:15 PM
i would imagine that First Take isn't the only ESPN show in which the Spurs are banned from being discussed. it explains a lot.

Spurminator
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I think you guys are probably overthinking it.

Buddy Holly
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM

No. Just no.

UnWantedTheory
12-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Shitty original troll attempt, tbh. Well, Glenn Holland is actually just a shitty troll in general. Congrats douche bag. :tu
Nooooooo!!! What happened to the other girl? OMG...I loved the tattoos...Spurstalk will miss her.

jestersmash
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Actually, I do..

Gd9OhYroLN0

#2!
12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Sportsnation mentioned Manu's plays against the Nuggets, and Around the Horn made it their second topic.

DMC
12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
That's fine, it's on the Daily Dime anyhow.

ESPN is looking for ratings, and the Spurs are notorious ratings killers, especially with the way that Duncan has those boring ass 20:10 games for 10 years, and how, late in the 4th quarter, Manu bends the opponent over a barrel and issues a proper rogering, with his slow, methodical FT thrusts as they look back at him from their vicarious positions.

Sisk
12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Sportsnation mentioned Manu's plays against the Nuggets, and Around the Horn made it their second topic.

Yeah. I'm starting to think it's Skip's self-imposed ban or the producers intentionally remove the Spurs from the topics to piss him off.

Man In Black
12-17-2010, 05:55 PM
The 4-letter still sucks, but in PTI Kornheiser says the League HATES the Spurs.

Kornheiser said,"There is something about the Spurs, even if they win 68 games, that prevents them from winning a MVP. Also, the League hates the Spurs and has hated them for years.

Wilbon,"They're too good, they're an example of everything that basketball should be, so they better not hate the Spurs."

greyforest
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
WHOA HOLD ON!

the national sports media aren't talking about the spurs??

whatever will they do in this new, unique situation?

Trill Clinton
12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah. I'm starting to think it's Skip's self-imposed ban or the producers intentionally remove the Spurs from the topics to piss him off.

I think this is what it all boils down to.

As great as a team the Spurs are, like others have said, they really aren't newsworthy. Their target audience isn't checking for San Antonio Spurs basketball.

gospursgojas
12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Spurs making news about not makin news.

Wgaf about the lebron network anyway???

DMC
12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I think this is what it all boils down to.

As great as a team the Spurs are, like others have said, they really aren't newsworthy. Their target audience isn't checking for San Antonio Spurs basketball.
Their target audience is likely multitasking by having facebook open, copy and pasting LOLcats and seeing if the Heat made the spread so they can get their 10 dollars from their buddy.

Man In Black
12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
It's a Chicken and Egg Conundrum. If the largest Sports Media Outlet doesn't talk about you other than disparagingly, then how are basketball fans outside San Antonio, going to learn about why this team has the best record in the league and why this team is playing basketball at all speeds, and WINNING while doing it?
When Gervin was in the league, I can tell you that when he came to play the Clippers here in San Diego, it was an event. Since San Antonio was in the Eastern Conference back then, we only got to see him once and we made sure to see him. The League did a much better job of promoting ALL teams. Nowadays, they are driven by star power but herein lies the rub. The game has gone Global, and whether we like it or not, stars from other countries have the capability to be stars here. Again, Tony Parker said it best, If this exact team was playing in New York, they would be treated like GODS.

SenorSpur
12-17-2010, 06:19 PM
It's a Chicken and Egg Conundrum. If the largest Sports Media Outlet doesn't talk about you other than disparagingly, then how are basketball fans outside San Antonio, going to learn about why this team has the best record in the league and why this team is playing basketball at all speeds, and WINNING while doing it?
When Gervin was in the league, I can tell you that when he came to play the Clippers here in San Diego, it was an event. Since San Antonio was in the Eastern Conference back then, we only got to see him once and we made sure to see him. The League did a much better job of promoting ALL teams. Nowadays, they are driven by star power but herein lies the rub. The game has gone Global, and whether we like it or not, stars from other countries have the capability to be stars here. Again, Tony Parker said it best, If this exact team was playing in New York, they would be treated like GODS.

Amen.

I also remember back when the Spurs had just joined the NBA, and Gervin was taking the NBA by storm with his prolific scoring, SI the Mag, did their very first feature on him. It was entitled "the Iceman Cometh". That exposure helped the team, as Gervin helped put the Spurs on the map. They began to draw some interest nationally.

Man In Black
12-17-2010, 06:27 PM
People outside of San Antonio better recognize. The next wave of stars might not be American. They could come from another country. What will 4-letter do when the best PG in the league hails from Spain or the best C hails from The Congo or the highest scoring player is a SF from Israel? Don't think it can happen? It already is, subtly, and if the league and it's broadcasting partners (Outside of TNT) don't adjust...they're fucked.

At 1 time in the past 5 years:
The Best PF is from USVI, the 2nd Best is from Germany
The Best C is from China
The Best 6th Man is SG from Argentina
The current PG with the most rings is from France, and the best passing PG is from Canada.

It's there but because the powers that be don't support you unless you're from a top 10 Large Market, then you're in Siberia UNLESS you have perceived stars, that factor supersedes Market Size.

Sisk
12-17-2010, 06:37 PM
WHOA HOLD ON!

the national sports media aren't talking about the spurs??

whatever will they do in this new, unique situation?

I'm not surprised by the fact that we aren't getting attention.. but the supposed "ban" on talking about us - was surprising.

SA210
12-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Morons, I hope we win another. I hope we win back to back.

spurs1990
12-18-2010, 02:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk10oRq0ZR0&feature=related

FFW to 1:25

Spurologist
12-18-2010, 02:47 AM
WOW.....some serious overthinking going on in this thread.....who gives a flying fuck....Spurs are always under the radar

roycrikside
12-18-2010, 01:20 PM
It's just a gimmick. Like they can really "ban" talking about the Spurs. It's all staged to make Skip look like a rebel for liking them. Gimme a break. He picked the Lakers in the preseason like everyone else.

Harry Callahan
12-18-2010, 01:48 PM
bspn = fox news

only report shit they want u to follow

espn = msnbc

These two have agendas as much or more than any of the other networks.

BTW, Thanks for sending RM over to the States to provide a little bit of sanity in the news biz.

TVI
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM
WOW.....some serious overthinking going on in this thread.....who gives a flying fuck....Spurs are always under the radar
I think the surprise lies in the extent of the national snub...it's one thing to simply ignore the Spurs, as the national media has always tended to do, as an inconvenient occasional hindrance to another championship for L.A., Chicago or Boston.

It's another thing entirely to actually have a policy in place which forbids someone from discussing them. The latter begins wading into the waters of the conspiratorial, instead of just another market-driven money-based decision.