PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from Pop on Tiago

TDfan2007
12-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Didn't see it posted, so here's the quote:

“Tiago wasn’t playing much, was he?” Popovich said. “I’d like him to be healthy some time so I could play him and see if he’s worth a damn, but I haven’t had a chance.”

Source: Express News

Full story (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/17/spurs-vs-nuggets-game-story/)

Looks like Pop is just as frustrated as we are, and wants to play Tiago.

timvp
12-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Sounds like Pop is getting a little fed up by Splitter's injury drama already. Splitter has always been a bit of a china doll and that's not a good trait for a role player under Pop.

A knee to the jewels is unfortunate but to declare yourself out the rest of the game is a bit much . . .

DPG21920
12-17-2010, 09:50 PM
CROFL Pop. Tiago has been perfectly healthy and Pop hasn't played him.

Obstructed_View
12-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, too bad injuries are the reason Splitter has logged zero minutes alongside Timmy.

DPG21920
12-17-2010, 09:55 PM
If Tiago was healthy enough to play all those games he did, for whatever amount of minutes, Pops line holds no weight. Just typical b.s.

8FOR!3
12-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I think you guys are taking pop a little too seriously, he's trolling you.

SA210
12-17-2010, 10:00 PM
:pop::pctoss

ezau
12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Pop is drunk

MI21
12-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I think it is a case of both.

Splitter may very well have a bit of Beno about him, but he has had healthy patches and there has been some games with favourable matchups and Pop hasn't given him any burn.

I'm not confident Splitter will be a rotation player by the playoffs.

Capt Bringdown
12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm not confident Splitter will be a rotation player by the playoffs.

Agreed.
Pop to Splitter:
"Your miserable game is not worth the reversal of a Popovich decision."

ezau
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
We waited all these years for this guy and we fucking benched him.

8FOR!3
12-17-2010, 10:42 PM

He is who we thought he was, and we let him off the hook!

L.I.T
12-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Eh, sounds a bit of a cop out from Pop. Granted Splitter missed training camp and preseason, so that retarded his system acclimation. But unless he's had some lingering injuriesmthat we haven't known about Pop had ample opportunities in the last 10-15 games tomsee whether he's worth a damn or not.

Man In Black
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Pop's bluffing yo! IF he really meant it, then we wouldn't be reading about it. Why would CIA volunteer any info at all, unless of course...he's bluffing.

SuperManu!!!
12-17-2010, 11:16 PM
C'on! Blair got the same treatment...he's paying for being a rookie, that's it.

quentin_compson
12-17-2010, 11:17 PM
If the Spurs want to have a shot against the Lakers, Tiago has to be part of the rotation.

SpursDynasty85
12-17-2010, 11:25 PM
If the Spurs want to have a shot against the Lakers, Tiago has to be part of the rotation.

Not just the lakers but the mavericks who have 5 7footers on their team. Theres no way, unless bonner is superhot, that blair and bonner can hold down that team. Mavers are huge at every single area except at sg. Jkidd,Butler,Marion,Nowitski,haywood,chandler gobble up lots of rebounds.

TE
12-17-2010, 11:26 PM

This.

Hoops Czar
12-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Unless Tiago has an awakening real soon, he won't be part of any playoffs. He looks completely overmatched with his ONLY asset taking a flop. Only big man in the game that looks to take a flop over a block. It's difficult to get defensive rebounds when your on your back.

Hooks
12-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I think you guys are taking pop a little too seriously, he's trolling you.

Listen to this man people.

Pop always does this, he's ALWAYS making sarcastic comments. Remember when he said how Timmy D was hard to coach and they didn't get along together? Same thing here, Pop just being sarcastic. It's just that we don't have the audio so it sounds a lot worse lol.

CALM DOWN EVERYONE

12-18-2010, 12:43 AM
ship his ass out.

Indazone
12-18-2010, 01:18 AM
So now the Spurs have their version of Yao/Bynum/Oden/ :lol

TJastal
12-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Pop's bluffing yo! IF he really meant it, then we wouldn't be reading about it. Why would CIA volunteer any info at all, unless of course...he's bluffing.

+1

Pop's cashing in his chips and playing this injury excuse as much as possible to make himself sound like that's the only reason Splitter hasn't played. Funny part is, he thinks he's fooling everybody. :lol

polandprzem
12-18-2010, 02:10 AM
I think Pop wants to toughen Tiago even more.
He does comments like this here and there.

Maybe it's a part why Tiago not playing but really even though Pop wanted to test Tiago he had plenty of occasions.

ploto
12-18-2010, 02:10 AM
If Pop thinks Splitter is a china doll about injuries, then he definitely will be less likely to play him when he is healthy. Ask Beno.

It makes sense. Why play a guy who wants to sit for every boo boo, when you have guys who play banged up all the time. Shouldn't Splitter be eager to play every minute that he can?

Splitter may very well have a bit of Beno about him, but he has had healthy patches and there has been some games with favourable matchups and Pop hasn't given him any burn.

If the first part of your statement is true, has he earned the right to those minutes?

Sean Cagney
12-18-2010, 02:45 AM
so now the spurs have their version of yao/bynum/oden/ :lol

yes so far :(

Spurologist
12-18-2010, 02:50 AM
I think all of SpursTalk needs a valium

SenorSpur
12-18-2010, 03:03 AM
If Tiago IS, in fact, a bit of a china doll, isn't it likely that the Spurs already know this when they drafted him?

Hoops Czar
12-18-2010, 03:36 AM
If Tiago IS, in fact, a bit of a china doll, isn't it likely that the Spurs already know this when they drafted him?

Maybe they see Splitter as a collector's item.

EricB
12-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Sounds like Pop is getting a little fed up by Splitter's injury drama already. Splitter has always been a bit of a china doll and that's not a good trait for a role player under Pop.

A knee to the jewels is unfortunate but to declare yourself out the rest of the game is a bit much . . .

nonsense pop clearly has something against him!

TE
12-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Splitter needs to adjust to the physicality and athleticism of the NBA. Games that he has played in give an indication that he still has to adjust to all the aforementioned attributes that comes with playing in the NBA.

Give him time pop, play him, throw him into the fire pit and let him crawl out. That's the only way.

angelbelow
12-18-2010, 04:27 AM
Wow, Pop actually said that about Tiago? Im surprised but I probably shouldn't be, Pop has a short temper on those types of players. We'll see how everything turns out..

Bruno
12-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Tiago has been healthy for a month and a half and Pop hasn't played him. It's a lame excuse from Pop. For whatever reason, he rather gives tons of playing time to a choking one trick pony. :rolleyes

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Tiago has been healthy for a month and a half and Pop hasn't played him. It's a lame excuse from Pop. For whatever reason, he rather gives tons of playing time to a choking one trick pony. :rolleyes
Have you ever seen a one trick pony in the field so happy and free?
If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me
Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making its way down the street?
If you've ever seen a one-legged dog then you've seen me

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door
Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before
Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor
Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more?
Tell me can you ask for anything more?

Have you ever seen a scarecrow filled with nothing but dust and wheat?
If you've ever seen that scarecrow then you've seen me
Have you ever seen a one-armed man punching at nothing but the breeze?

If you've ever seen a one-armed man then you've seen me

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door
Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before
Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor
Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more?
Tell me can you ask for anything more?

These things that have comforted me, I drive away
This place that is my home I cannot stay
My only faith's in the broken bones and bruises I display

Have you ever seen a one-legged man trying to dance his way free?
If you've ever seen a one-legged man then you've seen me

wildbill2u
12-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Listen to this man people.

Pop always does this, he's ALWAYS making sarcastic comments. Remember when he said how Timmy D was hard to coach and they didn't get along together? Same thing here, Pop just being sarcastic. It's just that we don't have the audio so it sounds a lot worse lol.

CALM DOWN EVERYONE

There might be a problem if Tiago's grasp of English and of Pop's sarcastic character isn't good enough to maintain a good relationship. This guy is used to the same superstar treatment in Europe as a Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard
Granted he has to prove himself and win his 'spurs' so to speak, but Pop definitely could rile some players with his undiplomatic sarcasm. Some players respond well to it and others don't.

galvatron3000
12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Ian treatment already/

SA210
12-18-2010, 10:59 AM
+1

Pop's cashing in his chips and playing this injury excuse as much as possible to make himself sound like that's the only reason Splitter hasn't played. Funny part is, he thinks he's fooling everybody. :lol

bluebellmaniac
12-18-2010, 11:14 AM
“Tiago wasn’t playing much, was he?” Popovich said. “I’d like him to be healthy some time so I could play him and see if he’s worth a damn, but I haven’t had a chance.”

When I saw this quote, I knew there was definitely sarcasm in it, as is usually the case with Pop. But I think there's more to it than just sarcasm. Tiago was hurt during training camp / pre-season. Did Pop think Tiago was hurt enough to sit out all pre-season? Or did he get the impression that Tiago was playing up an injury to get out of pre-season workouts? If so, then that would have landed Tiago in Pop's doghouse. Pure speculation, obviously.

Some have speculated that Pop is saving Tiago for late in the season. But it would seem that even if Pop was purposely trying to save Tiago for later in the season, he would still give him more playing time than what he has now, almost none.

If he is in Pop's doghouse, then that explains his playing time this season. We've seen time and again how Pop will sit someone who has rubbed him the wrong way.

Thoughts?

disciple
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Everyone just settle down!!!!! (unless you are one of the level headed Spurs experienced vet fans that know better-than you already are).

Splitter will be just fine.

Let it go until the end of this year.

If you continue the Splitter tirades your pissing into the wind.

td4mvp21
12-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I can understand him not playing Splitter much now (ok not really but I'm willing to let it slide if he ends up playing him a lot by the end of the season), but he's fooling himself if he thinks we can win a title or advance far in the playoffs with Bonner playing the most minutes out of any of the non-Duncan bigs. There is no way with the strength of the frontcourts in the West.

Lukor
12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
So how's that best center in Europe thing working out for you guys?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-18-2010, 01:05 PM
It's Pop's fault for not playing him at all. I think Pop was the one who didn't give a damn.

Harry Callahan
12-18-2010, 01:29 PM
So how's that best center in Europe thing working out for you guys?

How's the ten million dollar per year backup center working out for you guys?

In San Antonio, you generally have to earn your paycheck, unlike with the Mavericks when Cuban panicks. The Mavies have had an overpaid bum in the 5 spot for the last five years (Erica) and will for the next five years (Brenda).

Splitter will be just fine with time.

FRB

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 01:35 PM
There might be a problem if Tiago's grasp of English and of Pop's sarcastic character isn't good enough to maintain a good relationship. This guy is used to the same superstar treatment in Europe as a Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard
Granted he has to prove himself and win his 'spurs' so to speak, but Pop definitely could rile some players with his undiplomatic sarcasm. Some players respond well to it and others don't.

If Tiago still feels like a superstar, then he's got issues. He's obviously not 100% ready to contribute, but I agree he needs to play and make mistakes before he can get better. Hopefully Pop can give him a few min. He did last game which is sort of encouraging.

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
*meant the Milwaukee game..

ChumpDumper
12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
So how's that best center in Europe thing working out for you guys?Pretty well.

22-3.

JR21
12-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Cool im ready to see this guy on the floor

jag
12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
He is who we thought he was, and we let him off the hook!

:lol

Whisky Dog
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Neal needs to take him under his wing. Run a few trains, toughen him up.

jjktkk
12-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Good point, but Splitter was considered a lottery talent, so the Spurs were certainly justified taking him with the 28th pick that year.

admiralfats
12-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Always seemed to me like Splitter's lack of playing time was a)injury, b)out of shape due to injury c) pop not wanting to put him in a game where he would be out of his depth. I remember we ran him in the pick and roll like every play of the 2nd half (exaggeration, but we did it a lot) against the cavs. He was great. Then a few nights later he played one play at the end of a quarter against the magic. I just assumed pop wasn't going to throw him out there in a game we wanted to win where one mistake could cost us. Seemed like a good decision.

I've been really satisfied and impressed with splitter whenever he has played. If he's a diva, that's one thing; otherwise, i can't see what pop wouldn't like about Splitter's game and potential contributions to this team.

ohmwrecker
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Pop is adopting the Phil Jackson M.O. of humiliating a player in the press to motivate him. He is basically calling Splitter a sissy in the hopes of turning him into a warrior. Splitter has shown a natural ability of post presence, but he is obviously still struggling with NBA post-play. Pop, like all of us, isn't sure if Splitter is the going to be the player the Spurs need him to be. Let's hope it works.

pjjrfan
12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=DPG21920;4831820]CROFL Pop. Tiago has been perfectly healthy and Pop hasn't played him.[/QUOT
This.

WalterBenitez
12-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Better to bench ... rather to send him to HOU, right?

ajh18
12-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Everything I read this summer and during preseason said that the big three, manu in particular, went to Pop and said they wanted to win more early in the season.

Pop has respected that request, while still managing to rest Tim some. But Manu is playing more, and Pop has stuck with the same starting lineup and really tried to win games this year instead of treating the first half of the season as an extended preseason.

Overall, I'm really happy with that strategy. But I think it also includes not taking risks on an unproven guy like Splitter when he's missed training camp and the current guys are winning. I think if we start losing some games, then Pop will play with things a bit. But if he's trying to respect the veteran players' request to win more games early, he's not going to mess with the lineup in the name of integrating someone to be ready 55 games from now when the team is humming along.

duncan228
12-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Pregame tonight.

Pop says Tiago Splitter healthy enough to play, and wants to. "He's dying to," Pop said. "He's going out of his mind, basically."