PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Not an All-Star This Year? Don't Count Him Out

duncan228
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Lots of quotes, hit the link for the whole piece.

Tim Duncan Not an All-Star This Year? Don't Count Him Out (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/17/tim-duncan-not-an-all-star-this-year-dont-count-him-out/)
By Chris Tomasson

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead676.jpg

Tim Duncan already might be ordering travel brochures. He could be checking Caribbean island forecasts to see where it's least likely to rain.

For the past 12 NBA All-Star Weekends, Duncan has been booked in mid-February. The San Antonio star big man has played in every All-Star Game since he entered the league in 1997-98 (there was no game in 1999 due to the lockout). He's started 11 consecutive games, which became the NBA's longest current streak when Lakers guard Kobe Bryant sat out last February with a sprained ankle.

Duncan, though, is sure his streak of All-Star appearances and starts soon will be broken.

"It's got to come to an end at some point,'' Duncan said in an interview with FanHouse. "For the last couple of years, I thought it was going to come to an end, and it looks like this year will be it. So I feel absolutely no way about it. I'm excited to spend a couple of days during the break with my family in trying to do something different. It will be fun.''

Unfortunately, Tim, you might be off base here. You just might be spending yet another winter weekend with other NBA stars at the Feb. 20 game in Los Angeles.

Duncan, 34, is averaging career lows of 14.0 points and 9.5 rebounds. Those initially don't look like All-Star numbers until one considers other circumstances.

While the 6-foot-11 Duncan starts at power forward, many consider him really a center (after all, 6-7 DeJuan Blair is listed as San Antonio's starting center). There is a dearth of All-Star candidates at center in the West this season, which figures to pave the way for Duncan to make a 13th consecutive All-Star appearance and perhaps even a 12th straight start.

True, Duncan is listed as a forward on the ballot, and isn't going to start there. He's just fifth so far in the fan voting, with the top two players getting the nod.

But Houston's Yao Ming looks certain to be named the starting center, and he's out for the season due to a stress fracture in his left ankle. So somebody will be named as an injury replacement by commissioner David Stern. And then somebody would have to replace Yao in the starting lineup.

Why not Duncan being a starter, which could be helped since his very own boss, Gregg Popovich, is the leading candidate to be West All-Star coach due to the Spurs having an NBA-best 22-3 mark?

It would be a fitting tribute to Duncan's great career if he were to be selected for one more All-Star Game and perhaps gets one more start. But the selection at least wouldn't be a token one.

Yes, Duncan's numbers aren't great. But who's a better center candidate in the West, excluding Pau Gasol, who has been starting in the pivot this season as Andrew Bynum works his way back from injury? Gasol is second in voting at forward so he's already in line to start.

In addition to Bynum, another Los Angeles center, the Clippers' Chris Kaman, has had injuries this season. Yes, Utah's Al Jefferson, averaging 16.5 points and 8.8 boards, Denver's Nene, averaging 15.4 and 7.0, and Dallas' Tyson Chandler, averaging 8.6 and 9.0, are center candidates. But Duncan is doing better in the rebounding category than any of them and you can't argue with San Antonio's record.

Duncan was told he could be named an All-Star by coaches, who choose reserves by voting for a center, two forwards, two guards and two players at any position. Coaches easily could slide Duncan over for their center vote, although they also could do that with power forwards Dirk Nowitzki of Dallas, Kevin Love of Minnesota, Blake Griffin of the Clippers, LaMarcus Aldridge of Portland or Zach Randolph of Memphis.

And Duncan was told there seems no way Stern, who has spent the past dozen-plus years singing the praises of Duncan, would bypass him and deny Duncan a final All-Star bow. Duncan still wasn't buying it.

"I don't think so,'' Duncan said. "I think there's a lot of guys playing well that deserve to be (All-Stars) a lot better than I am. ... I'm definitely not counting (on an All-Star selection). I'm listed as a forward anyway. So Yao being out doesn't matter.''

Not so, Duncan was told. Stern can pick a player at any position to replace Yao.

It was then Duncan perhaps realized another All-Star appearance is not out of the question. He wouldn't dare turn down the commissioner, would he?

"That would probably be a bad career move,'' Duncan said. "But I think there are a lot more deserving guys out there.''

One figures Duncan would be modest until the end. He's won four title rings and two MVPs while being one of the classiest guys in the game.

Keep Reading... (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/17/tim-duncan-not-an-all-star-this-year-dont-count-him-out/)

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/17/tim-duncan-not-an-all-star-this-year-dont-count-him-out/

Ditty
12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
pretty sure he will be picked as a reserve along with dirk, the center position is a joke on the ballot..duncan should start as the center..if haywood or bynum start then it will be a joke

Blake
12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
maybe he can pull a Vince Carter and give up his spot.

Rapper
12-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Fake spurs fan never vote for Duncan, their got damn reason for not voting for Timmy is to let him rest at the all star weekend, what a damn excuse!! Duncan himself always enjoys ASG every season, true spurs fans always vote for Duncan even though ASG is not really meaningful, but an honor though

TE
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
All of Spurstalk should vote for Duncan several times a day... maybe that'll get him up there.

duncan228
12-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Duncan had his finest offensive performance since authoring a triple-double in a victory at Golden State on Nov. 30.

On the day the NBA released All-Star voting results that showed him in fifth place among Western Conference forwards, he scored a season-high 28 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and blocked four shots.

Was he trying to sway the voters?

“I think I’ve proved them right,” Duncan said, laughing. “I don’t deserve to be there. I haven’t played that well. I’m really not worried about it.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/17/duncan-defense-can-recover-this-season/

spursfan1000
12-18-2010, 12:17 AM
I would like to see Duncan play in ASG...but if hes hurt or tired, skip it.

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 04:32 AM
Wouldnt dream of counting him out.

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 04:33 AM
All of Spurstalk should vote for Duncan several times a day... maybe that'll get him up there.

timtonymanu
12-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Fake spurs fan never vote for Duncan, their got damn reason for not voting for Timmy is to let him rest at the all star weekend, what a damn excuse!! Duncan himself always enjoys ASG every season, true spurs fans always vote for Duncan even though ASG is not really meaningful, but an honor though

What happens if he has no gas left for the playoffs? Will a stupid all-star start be worth losing a title? LMAO idiot spur fan.

m33p0
12-18-2010, 04:53 AM
i'd rather he skip it. he doesn't have to prove anything.

timtonymanu
12-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Besides, I think Duncan may end up starting anyway at center. Yao is most likely gonna get the spot but since he's out, Duncan will replace him.

I think the West will look like this (Assuming no one comes from behind): Duncan, Gasol, Durant, Kobe, Paul. Reserves are Dirk, Manu, Westbrook, Deron Williams, Melo, and Love. Last spot may be a toss-up between Parker and Nash.

WildcardManu
12-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Besides, I think Duncan may end up starting anyway at center. Yao is most likely gonna get the spot but since he's out, Duncan will replace him.

I think the West will look like this (Assuming no one comes from behind): Duncan, Gasol, Durant, Kobe, Paul. Reserves are Dirk, Manu, Westbrook, Deron Williams, Melo, and Love. Last spot may be a toss-up between Parker and Nash.

Like that lineup.

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 05:35 AM
What happens if he has no gas left for the playoffs? Will a stupid all-star start be worth losing a title? LMAO idiot spur fan.
As much as I agree & understand, what is the likelihood of the ASG being the deciding factor wether TD is healthy come the playoffs? If it were to really come down to the ASG as the reason for him being gassed, then we are screwed anyways regarding Tim. IMO.

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Like that lineup.

DesignatedT
12-18-2010, 05:49 AM
I fucking love Timmy.

timtonymanu
12-18-2010, 05:49 AM
As much as I agree & understand, what is the likelihood of the ASG being the deciding factor wether TD is healthy come the playoffs? If it were to really come down to the ASG as the reason for him being gassed, then we are screwed anyways regarding Tim. IMO.

I dont actually think the ASG will gas him out. I just think Rapper needs to set his priorities. I don't think we're "fake" if we don't vote for Timmy. It's just that a title is more important than the streak and I think Duncan will agree. Regardless, he's going to the ASG anyway but it shouldn't be a priority for Spurs fans.

UnWantedTheory
12-18-2010, 06:01 AM
I dont actually think the ASG will gas him out. I just think Rapper needs to set his priorities. I don't think we're "fake" if we don't vote for Timmy. It's just that a title is more important than the streak and I think Duncan will agree. Regardless, he's going to the ASG anyway but it shouldn't be a priority for Spurs fans.
I understand. Sorry I didnt read the entire exchange completely. I agree whole heartedly. You are most certainly right, it shouldnt be a priority. A chip is the ultimate goal & I assume TD could care a less about the ASG in comparison to that. But I do hope the streak continues. Here is to both happening. :toast

Bender
12-18-2010, 06:52 AM
“I think I’ve proved them right,” Duncan said, laughing. “I don’t deserve to be there. I haven’t played that well. I’m really not worried about it.”
Tim's using reverse psychology... he would be honored to be selected again...

Brodie Bruce
12-18-2010, 07:08 AM
The author of that article has a pretty valid point. Duncan doesn't like being called a center but that's what he plays. Since Yao is out for the year again Duncan should start the All-Star game at center. The rest of the west centers are a joke including Bynum.

Muser
12-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Don't vote for him, give him a weekend of rest..

StoneBuddha
12-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Are you serious? I think the honor of playing in the game outweighs the fatigue that will accumulate in the 8 minutes of game time that Pop or any coach subjects him too

Dunc n Dave
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM

I can see Parker and Nash BOTH not making the team in favor of Blake Griffin. Guy is having a MONSTER season. Besides, with Paul, Williams, and Westbrook, there's no need for a 4th PG.

the crimson blur
12-18-2010, 12:30 PM

This logic makes no sense.

He won't play more than 10 minutes. He'll be fine. The prestige and record is more than worth it.

While recent years have drilled into our heads that rest for the playoffs is important, some Spurs fans go way overboard...

12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
duncan will be an all star. the quality of bigs have vastly declined. players like horford have become all stars. apparently all you have to do nowadays is be healthy and not suck.

Bruno
12-18-2010, 01:10 PM
To me, ASG is just boring. I haven't watch it for about half a decade. I rather watch a random regular season game than the ASG and with 1230 regular season game each year, it will take some time before I watched an ASG...

boutons_deux
12-18-2010, 01:23 PM
ASG first team is a fricking beauty contest, eternally exposed when non-playing Yao and Bynum lead the center voting.

the legitimate honor is the 2nd team.

The ASG should be restricted to players, HoFers, coaching staff, some carefully selected NBA "journalists", and maybe some limited contribution from stats factored in.

PBEEZY
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
duncan will be an all star. the quality of bigs have vastly declined. players like horford have become all stars. apparently all you have to do nowadays is be healthy and not suck.

GTFO horford got game son

duncan228
12-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Duncan is going to be at All-Star Weekend whether he plays or not. adidas always does promotional stuff over the weekend, it's my understanding he has to be there.

So, if he starts he keeps the streak going and he'll play limited minutes.

If he's not voted in he'll be picked by the Coaches and come off the bench for limited minutes. He's considered a respected 'elder statesman' now, he's having an okay season, they'll pick him.

If he's not in the game at all he'll be there doing adidas stuff.

There's no 'stay home and rest' option. He's there no matter how it plays out.

I'd prefer he get as much rest as possible while he's there, however he does it.

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 02:17 PM

I agree the amount of production from Bigs are changing. The nba is getting smaller and smaller. Its more a trend. The game has sped up, and the NBA is realizing the positives of pick&roll, so the ball handler gets the ball more.

Horford on the other hand would be a legitimate 20-10 guy on a traditional 90's team.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
If Tim doesn't play in the ASG, fine by me. The All-Star game means nothing to the records or playoffs.

JR21
12-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I was actually with the whole rest thing but yeah after reading this I'd rather see him get the Honor of one more all star game. Thanks :king

duncan228
12-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Spurs.com

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/leadbigthreeas.jpg

Vote for Tim, Tony and Manu (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/allstar_ballot_101118.html)!
Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have been named to the 2011 NBA All-Star Ballot. Vote everyday for your favorite Spurs to be represented at the All-Star Game in February!

>>Vote Now (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/allstar_ballot_101118.html)

JR21
12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Cool you should make a thread with that post and have everyone check in after they vote for the big 3... Think it will work? Theres a lot of fans on here... maybe we can get a few 1000 votes by a thread like that... would be cool to have Timmy start in L.A. LETS GO SPURS

Harry Callahan
12-18-2010, 03:24 PM
The Spurs may end up with a player or two in the game because of the great record they will likely have at the AS break. I think TD would prefer that Tony and/or Manu go so he can chill for a few days. If he does get picked that is a sign of respect for all he and the Spurs have done through the years.

Consider the Spurs have a 70% winning percentage in the regular season for the 1002 regular season games played. That is a ridiculously high percentage.

JR21
12-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Cool you should make a thread with that post and have everyone check in after they vote for the big 3... Think it will work? Theres a lot of fans on here... maybe we can get a few 1000 votes by a thread like that... would be cool to have Timmy start in L.A. LETS GO SPURS
nevermind there's already one... sweet :lol

TheSullyMonster
12-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see him play, just because the kobe dick riders will troll spurstalk if he doesn't.

WalterBenitez
12-18-2010, 07:10 PM

It's allowed only once ... :depressed

Hooks
12-18-2010, 07:40 PM

David Haye ftw! I just wish he'd fight the Klits though.

duncan228
12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
It's allowed only once ... :depressed

Clear cookies and you can vote as often as you want. :)