PDA

View Full Version : Magic/Suns Trade 90% chance going to happen

InRareForm
12-18-2010, 02:12 PM
RT @Chris_Broussard: Magic & Suns close in on deal to send Hedo/JRich to PHX for Vince/Gortat. "90 pct" chance of it happening, sources say

Juanobili
12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5932861

Agloco
12-18-2010, 02:14 PM
RT @Chris_Broussard: Magic & Suns close in on deal to send Hedo/JRich to PHX for Vince/Gortat. "90 pct" chance of it happening, sources say

Hedo/JRich would be going to Orlando no?

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Who backs up Howard? Otis Smith may be going overboard

jestersmash
12-18-2010, 02:15 PM
http://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

"Magic & Suns close in on deal to send Hedo/JRich to PHX for Vince/Gortat. "90 pct" chance of it happening, sources "

Hedo will almost certainly be a better fit for the Magic.

LOL i thought this was a joke.

jestersmash
3 minutes late. Post in the other thread.

Agloco
Orlando pushing the panic button tbh

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Orlando pushing the panic button tbh

Yea that's what i'm thinking

jestersmash
12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Magic came out on top of this little scuffle in my opinion.

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Sarver is really going to allow this? Steve Nash better have a video prepared demanding for a trade

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
YEA WTF! SUNS are retarded~!!!!!! magic will be stackkked..

*SNIF.. JRICh is on my fantasy team. His production will certainly go down. T.T

12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
so if they pull of the trade with phoenix and wizards they will be trading:

carter, lewis, and gortat

for

arenas, richardson, turkoglu, and an unnamed wizards center who most likely will be armstrong. it's definitely a shakeup...

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:21 PM
They might want to trade for an extra ball while the Magic are at it.

tomtom
12-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Pretty good deal for the Magic though again, they keep throwing away flexibility for short term success. That said, Richardson is a beast and Turk might be revitalized if he returns to the Magic system.

jag
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
PHX needs to dump Nash and build a team with Dragic, Dudley, Gortat, and Lopez as a big off the bench. And Orlando was fucked as soon they gave a SF role player the largest (at the time) contract in the NBA.

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:25 PM
The Tree of Woj has a detailed trade spec

Orlando will send PHX Carter, Gortat, Pietrus, a 1st round pick and $3 million for Richardson, Hedo and Earl Clark, source tells Y! Sports.

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree. This trade makes sense for both I guess. But how retarded was not signing Amare stoudemire now? I can't believe they thought Hakim Warrick and Chandler could replace stoudemire. Hedo? Josh Childress for an extra 15 mil a year too? Phoenix suns found a way to mess up one of the best teams of last year while spending roughly the same amount of money. wtf?

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 02:28 PM
It makes no sense for Phoenix to hold onto Nash or Grant Hill at this point. For that matter it didn't the second they decided to let Amare leave.

This.

Texas_Ranger
12-18-2010, 02:32 PM
lol Suns trading their best player

spursfan1000
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
This trade seems to have a lot of sense! PHX gets a big expiring contract in carter, a good backup center in gortat, who can also be insurance if lopez gets hurt again. this is very good for the magic too because hedo knows the system,and magic are known for shooting lots of 3's and jrich is a solid 3 point shooter.

jag
12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
It makes no sense for Phoenix to hold onto Nash or Grant Hill at this point. For that matter it didn't the second they decided to let Amare leave.

Between letting Joe Johnson leave and then letting Amare leave, the Suns deserve to be a future lottery team. What's worse though is that they'll probably have just enough talent to stay out of the lottery, but not enough talent to ever make a legit playoff run. wow

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Steve Nash better start calling Kobe for his lesson on Trade Demand 101

jag
12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
"Thats what happens when you try to win championships with a white PG and a PF with average defense."

-Jerry Sloan

sribb43
12-18-2010, 02:42 PM
FUCK...just as the mavs roll into ORL on tuesday.

If Gil blows up in their face, the Magic are fucked. Hedo is done, i dont care if he is going back to ORL. J-RICH is a nice pickup but I guess Bass is now the backup center.

Suns front office is full of morons. Kerr was a genuis compared to these idiots

Xylus
12-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.

Muser
12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I love J-Rich while he's been in Phoenix but tbh I can't see how this is going to work.

lefty
12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I know Hedo has sucked @Toronto and Phoenix, but he is a great fit for Orlando

If the trade goes down, watch out

sribb43
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Well i guess we know that CP3 will not be joining D12 anytime soon in ORL

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Good trade to dump Carter and Lewis but Magic are thin up front. Who's going to play back up on Dwight?

Muser
12-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Hedo isn't a good fit anywhere.

Pero
Jesus Fucking Christ.

:lol

Xylus
Rememba det time you said the suns would be at worst the 6th seed :lmao

I meant 15th seed.

sribb43
12-18-2010, 02:48 PM
So is this the lineup

PG: Nelson
SG: Arenas
SF: JRich
PF: Hedo
C: Howard

That team needs a serious pass first PG

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 02:48 PM

hedo fit with the magic in 09. At least give him that :lol

sribb43
12-18-2010, 02:49 PM

He didnt even fit in with the Turkish National team :lmao

gaspar
12-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Malik Allen - back-up C for Orlando?!

j.dizzle
12-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Like I said in another thread a few days ago..Orl wasnt gonna get anywhere as is so you might as well bring in some changes. Good for them IMO. Carter is fragile as hell & is extremely inconsistent when it matters & Gortat has regressed a lot from the past few seasons. Pietrus is just a turnover waiting to happen & chucks ridiculous shots. J.Rich is the type of scorer they need & Hedo might be a lot more confident going back to a system he fit in with. Orl might be a little thin up front but its not like they pass the ball to their bigs lmao. Lewis' contract is gross so I think he'll stay in Orl. Arenas is not the answer, I dont think he would fit in. PHX just seems confused. Nash/Hill would fit in well with some veteran leadership in NY IMO

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm seeing other people suggest Orlando would still get Arenas. Carter's expiring contract is the only reason to deal such contracts. Rashard lewis for Arenas might work, but that would be trading a can of beans for Spam.

hater
12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
:lmao Hedo what a disgrace

dude said he is tired because of the worlds. IMO he is taking this year off.

Nelson, Hedo, Arenas in the same team? will the magic play with 3 balls?

jestersmash
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Orlando just blew it up. They are giving away Pietrus as well, plus Rashard for double 0.

Ditty
12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I think the suns got the best out of this trade..gortat is solid guy who can be a double double machine,pietrus good defender and good 3 point shooter is alot like richardson but jason has a better slashing game,expired big contract in carter, and get rid of turk's horrible contract plus a 1st rounder :)

Magic sure didn't get better at best, and fucked up more by getting rid of lewis for arenas..I know arenas is a good player and all but don't see him making a difference really as a shooting guard unless the magic ship off nelson for a small foward cuz Q Rich sucks. Plus Lewis can spread the floor so much for Howard, while it seems that they have alot of confidence in Bass but I don't, and no championship team should have him as a starter. Richardson is going to be a solid player in the system, better shooter but don't see him as a huge upgrade to Carter. Turkoglu is the biggest question mark of the trade if he is the Orlando Turk then I think it will be worth it, but if he is the contract cuckold player than the Magic are fucked for years to come, and could possibly see Dwight leaving Orlando.

crc21209
12-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I think its a decent move for Orlando since Hedo has played well there before, but Gortat was backing up Howard...so now who will do it? And Phoenix just completely blew up their team. If they thought Hedo was bad, wait till VC shows up....:lol. Giving away J-Rich like that wasnt a good idea either...

j.dizzle
12-18-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL the Arenas trade is actually going down? Damn Orl getting rid of half their team just like that hahaa..Otis Smith is smoking that good shit. Dwight is gonna get even less touches now hahaha

Lukor
12-18-2010, 03:14 PM
LOL the Arenas trade is actually going down? Damn Orl getting rid of half their team just like that hahaa..Otis Smith is smoking that good shit. Dwight is gonna get even less touches now hahaha

Otis Smith is GM'ing as if he was on NBA Live. The Magic are screwed for years to come if this trade doesn't work out the way they hope.

Mav-elous Man
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
PHX needs to dump Nash and build a team with Dragic, Dudley, Gortat, and Lopez as a big off the bench. And Orlando was fucked as soon they gave a SF role player the largest (at the time) contract in the NBA.

I would love to trade JJ Barea straight up for Nash!!! Lol!

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok I just read on yahoo that both deals were going down. Wow. this is crazy stackness around Howard. I guess Phoenix really has no choice but to trade jrich, but their getting gortat and a first rounder with some cap relief.

Orlando might be stacked now. I don't know who will be there back up center, but if Howard plays 41mpg it wont matter too much.

Nelson
Rich
Hedo
Bass
Howard
is how i would start it with Arenas coming off the bench.

Orlando's front court will not hold up, but their backcourt could do some serious damage.

edgar
12-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok how can the spurs get in on the firesale?

Our needs include a defensive big man prescence to be next to timmah.

Second we need a defensive player to shut down the opponents best offensive player.

Xylus
12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
6 months ago, it was...

Nash
JRich
Hill
Amare
Lopez
Bench: Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson, Frye

Now it's...

Nash
Carter
Hill
Frye
Lopez
Bench: Dragic, Childress, Pietrus, Dudley, Gortat, Warrick

Oy.

RoddyBukkake
12-18-2010, 03:37 PM
GORTAT? :cry

j.dizzle
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
LOL Sarver.

Chillen
12-18-2010, 03:44 PM
The thing with Orlando imo is that they were very fortunate to have made the 2009 NBA finals. Boston didn't have Kevin Garnett and they played a great 7 game series against the Cavaliers to advance and eventually lost to the Lakers. Assuming these deals happen, They kind of have to make some move to compete with Miami and Boston, I think it makes them better but the question is how much better?

Phoenix should just trade Steve Nash if they do this deal, let Dragic be the PG. I don't think they will though, he is like the Tim Duncan/Kobe Bryant of that Suns franchise and he sells tickets. He has never won them a ring though so I guess it's up to the Suns franchise and Nash.

crazylakerfan001
12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
wow that's crazy i did nearly the same exact trade on nba 2k11 association mode. except i traded rashard lewis and jj redick for jason richardson and hedo turkoglu.

JMarkJohns
12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Pietrus will be traded by the deadline, I imagine, to a contending team for expiring filler and a 1st. Dallas with Stephenson seems like a potential option. Pietrus has a reasonable contract with this year and next at 5.3 million, and next is a player option.

I can see him, Hill and Nash all traded by the deadline for expiring contracts and 1sts/2nds.

Xylus
12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Time to blow it up!

j.dizzle
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Just saw this..Breaking news: Suns add Vince Carter. Now favorites to win 2001 NBA title.:lmao

crazylakerfan001
12-18-2010, 03:54 PM
if im orlando, i try my best to get nash. nash plus howard sorrunded by good three point shooters will be a great success.

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok how can the spurs get in on the firesale?

Our needs include a defensive big man prescence to be next to timmah.

Second we need a defensive player to shut down the opponents best offensive player.

Antonio mcdyess/George Hill

for

Marcin Gortat/Jared Dudley

Marcin is good, but they do have robin lopez. Plus Mcdyess would kill even more money off their books.

EJFischer
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
The Suns are insane if they don't start Gortat.

Statistically inclined folks have been arguing for two years that if Gortat could get on another team where he didn't have Howard in front of him, he could be a top-15 bigman. Gortat is the key to this trade for the Suns, Carter is just a more expensive and crazier version of JRich, no real statistical change there.

6 months ago, it was...

Nash
JRich
Hill
Amare
Lopez

Now it's...

Nash
Carter
Hill
Frye
Lopez

Oy.

EJFischer
12-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Stastically Marcin Gortat is so much better than Robin Lopez, it's like they don't even play the same sport.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2010, 04:03 PM
6 months ago, it was...

Nash
JRich
Hill
Amare
Lopez

Now it's...

Nash
Carter
Hill
Frye
Lopez

Oy.

Yuck. I have no idea why any team would trade for Carter.

Jloyola
12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow.. Kinda feel sorry Grant Hill.... kinda wish he went to a contender..He's a class act and deserves better

anyways... Lakers pretty much wrapped up the Pacific Division for the next 10 years!

Agloco
12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.

X.....I feel for you man, I really do.

EJFischer
12-18-2010, 04:06 PM
They didn't trade for Carter, they accepted Carter so they could get Gortat. Just watch. Unless they keep giving big minutes to Lopez, this will be a good trade on net for PHO.

Muser
12-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Antonio mcdyess/George Hill

for

Marcin Gortat/Jared Dudley

Marcin is good, but they do have robin lopez. Plus Mcdyess would kill even more money off their books.

No.

kamikazi_player
12-18-2010, 04:21 PM
By far, the dumbest move that the Suns could make. It's all good that they traded Hedo since he's struggling in Phx, but did they have to trade their best player too?

Even if it was for expiring contracts, Vince only makes 3 mil more than J-Rich and his contract is also expiring.

Orlando got better, but I don't see how gilbert areans would help this team even more. They just need a legit PF that can help on D with Howard.

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow.. Kinda feel sorry Grant Hill.... kinda wish he went to a contender..He's a class act and deserves better

I feel worse for Nash because he doesn't deserve the shit that his owner is putting him up to.

duncan228
12-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Done deal: Magic sends Vince Carter and others to Phoenix for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/18/done-deal-magic-trades-phoenix-vince-carter-and-others-for-jason-richardson-hedo-turkoglu/)
Matt Moore

Otis Smith just swung for the fences. We’ll see if he connects.

The Orlando Magic have traded Vince Carter, Mikael Pietrus, and Marcin Gortat to the Phoenix Suns for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Earl Clark. The Magic have also traded Rashard Lewis to the Washington Wizards for Gilbert Arenas.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5932861), CBSSports.com (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26507248), and Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq7.eJsUn4XjBXwrImEcPUK8vLYF?slug=aw-arenastradetalks121810) have all confirmed the deal.

Here’s how it breaks down:

Orlando:
Orlando wants to win now. Not for the next few years, not down the line, growing together like a bunch of young saplings. Now. Otis Smith has acquired a dynamic scorer and playmaker in Gilbert Arenas who is not shooting well this year (39%) but has a chance to get some space now that he’s in Orlando. They acquired a power driving dunk artist with prolific three-point range in Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu who is now old and not nearly the player he was two years ago, a first-round draft pick and Earl Clark, who will never see the floor, ever.

Gilbert Arenas has shown flashes of his scoring ability that made him so prolific four seasons ago. He managed to work reasonably well off-ball in Washington, and in Orlando will be granted license to run the offense. Jameer Nelson can work off-ball in conjunction with Arenas. How he’ll work with Dwight Howard will be a significant issue to keep an eye on. Arenas has never worked with a player like Howard before, and he’ll have to maintain the “it’s his team” attitude he had with Wall.

Richardson is the big win in this trade for Orlando. He’s averaging 19 points on 42% three-point shooting and he’ll get just as many open looks in Orlando. The question will be if he can play the kind of defense Stan Van Gundy will need him to and how he’ll fit in with the rotation. But Richardson is a clutch performer who has a history with Arenas in Golden State and should be thrilled to be going to a contender again.

Hedo Turkoglu is a no-lose option for the Magic. If he’s terrible, the team is deep enough not to worry about it. If he’s able to recapture anything close to what they had two years ago, they’ve got another great player to go to. His contract is long. So was Rashard Lewis’. And as we’ve seen today, no contract is unmovable.

Phoenix:
The future is later. Despite Steve Nash still being Steve Nash, the Suns have moved towards the future. Vince Carter is an expiring contract, they acquired a first round pick to build with, and ditched Hedo Turkoglu’s contract. They’re obviously moving towards the future. You have to wonder if this is a capitulation by Robert Sarver to move towards saving money. Vince Carter may experience a resurgence in Phoenix as so many players have with their training staff. But in the end, he’s just not a very good player anymore and not a player you can depend on in key situations. Losing Turkoglu at least clears up their frontcourt rotation and will allow Hakim Warrick more minutes. Phoenix looks towards the future.

Washington:
The Arenas-Butler-Jamison era is finally washed away completely. Agent Zero is over. Rashard Lewis is a marginal player at this point with a massive contract, but now the team is John Wall‘s, 100%. The Gilbert Arenas era is through. They’re a bad team and they just got worse. But they do save a slight bit of money and can try and take a new approach in order to move towards the Wall-led future. It was over before it started for the Arenas Show in Washington. You’ve got to move forward eventually. They chose now.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/18/done-deal-magic-trades-phoenix-vince-carter-and-others-for-jason-richardson-hedo-turkoglu/

kamikazi_player
12-18-2010, 04:28 PM
The ones who should be really upset is the Sun fans, damn sorry guys that your owner can't make good decisions. The only thing going for them is Alan Gentry's still the head coach and they got a young core that's developing. Lets just hope they don't screw that up.

Jloyola
12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I feel worse for Nash because he doesn't deserve the shit that his owner is putting him up to.

Mitch needs to get in on this... LUKE for HILL!!!

Lakers 2nd Unit

Blake
Brown
Barnes
Hill
Odom

LakerHater
12-18-2010, 04:52 PM
The Orlando Magic have completed a pair of blockbuster trades that will send them Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas and Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson from the Phoenix Suns, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

kamikazi_player
12-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Orlando should go after G-Wall, great defender who can occasionally shoot the 3. This is would make Dwight's game alot easier on D and gives the Magic another scoring option.

LakerHater
12-18-2010, 04:54 PM
ESPN.com news services

The Orlando Magic capped a blockbuster day of wheeling and dealing by trading one franchise cornerstone for another, sending Rashard Lewis to the Washington Wizards for Gilbert Arenas, team sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard on Saturday.
That trade followed news of a deal that sent Vince Carter to the Phoenix Suns in a multiplayer deal that returns Hedo Turkoglu to the Magic.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/469.jpg
Lewis
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/974.jpg
Arenas

The Magic, losers of five of their last six games, also get Jason Richardson and Earl Clark from the Suns in exchange for Carter, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, a 2011 first-round pick and cash considerations, sources said.
The Arenas-Lewis deal doesn't include other pieces, the sources told Broussard.
The Magic and Wizards had been discussing a deal involving Arenas off and on since last summer.
Arenas and the Wizards have been open to parting ways since Washington landed point guard John Wall with the No. 1 pick and thereby providing a new face for the franchise.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2173.jpg
Pietrus
http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2758.jpg
Gortat
http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/136.jpg
Carter

Arenas was suspended last season for the final 50 games by commissioner David Stern after a locker room incident involving gun play with former teammate Javaris Crittenton came to light last Dec. 23.
The Magic used lucrative pieces to close both deals, including Carter's expiring contract and Lewis' deal, which has 2½ years remaining on the original $118 million, six-year deal. It lines up with Arenas' backloaded contract -- which still has about $60 million left.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/3971.jpg
Clark
http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1018.jpg
Richardson
http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/862.jpg
Turkoglu

Arenas was at Washington's morning shootaround but did not speak to reporters.
Magic president Otis Smith has been a close friend and mentor to the Arenas going back to their days together at Golden State, when Smith was in the front-office and Arenas was a young player. Smith has said in the past that Arenas' troubles, which, in addition to last year's 50-game suspension, included faking an injury to sit out a preseason game this year, are not a concern.
"The length of his contract and health probably have been more of my concerns," Smith told The Associated Press early Saturday. "With the length of his contract, you're always concerned about taking on more, of course. That's always been one of my concerns. I know a little bit more detail about Gilbert off the court and who he is as a person.
"He's probably similar to the guys we have in the locker room right now. I would say that sometimes good people make dumb decisions, and he's one of those guys."
Arenas, a three-time All Star, has had several knee problems that limited him to 47 games over the previous three seasons. But while playing alongside -- and often behind -- Wall this season, Arenas has showed flashes of his old self.
He has averaged 17.3 points and 5.6 assists per game this season, including a season-high 31 points in a loss against the Magic on Nov. 27. The Magic have made strong pushes to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony and New Orleans' Chris Paul, but with those talks showing little progress, they might be forced to make another move.
Orlando has lost five of its last six games, including a frustrating 1-3 West Coast trip, falling from first to fourth in the Eastern Conference. The Magic were set to host Philadelphia on Saturday night, and Washington was hosting Miami.
"I circled the West Coast trip on our schedule a long time ago," Smith said. "The West Coast trip, to me, was going to decide whether or not we're going to either fix our woes or continue down the same path. I don't think we've played particularly well leading up to the West Coast trip. So, we were on the West Coast trip and some of our woes continued, so you start to explore opportunities that are out there."

jeebus
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Soooooooo Arenas will make them better?

Muser
12-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I didn't know.

kamikazi_player
12-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Damn, didn't know that trade now with G-Arenas is official now. I don't know about that move.

Venti Quattro
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I didn't know.

Gee, I didn't know too. Who were involved in this deal?

IronMaxipad
12-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Wat

jeebus
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess the Magic think any player is better than Lewis atm....but Arenas??

Agloco
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Already being discussed in this thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168561

Budkin
12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow the Magic are going to be stacked... and the Spurs have to play them in a few days...

Agloco
12-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Here's a good article that sums things up:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/22921/magic-suns-trade-breakdown

DPG21920
12-18-2010, 05:33 PM
So Hedo was not good enough to give the contract he wanted while he was there, but after a year and a half of his play justifying that call, they take him back.

Interesting.

pauls931
12-18-2010, 05:39 PM

I agree. Granted Amare leaving pretty much f'd the Sun's future. I was looking forwards for a Dragic, Amare, Jrich core.... Man this is going to be a long decade.

pauls931
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
The Suns moves are a good sign for them. Sarver made these moves before he hired a real GM, and the GM he brought in made it pretty clear from the get go he knew how bad those moves were with subtle hints. The damage Sarver made to that team is done, at least for their fan's sake they have a new GM who's willing to blow it up immediately and not waste any time hoping the moves magically come together.

Wonder if Sarver was doing favors and had to do them without a GM since any GM in their right mind wouldn't do what he did? Ok, I wasn't really paying attention during that time, but I wonder now.

angelbelow
12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Lol wow.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm interested in seeing what happens with a few of these parts:

- Are the Suns going to buy Carter out?..while he's no longer good enough to be a top option, he's still good enough to be an elite 6th man for a team that needs offense, or a top 3 option on a low-seed playoff team..

- Where does Nash go?..it seems logical that he's gone..I can't really think of any team that would make the move for him though, off the top of my head..

- Is Orlando going to trade Nelson?..he's a difficult player to work around, since he ALWAYS needs the ball in his hands, and he over-dribbles as much as any player in the NBA..Vince always played better in games that Nelson missed, like Turkoglu before, so I'm wondering how Arenas and Turkoglu are going to look next to him..

MaNu4Tres
12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
- Is Orlando going to trade Nelson?..he's a difficult player to work around, since he ALWAYS needs the ball in his hands, and he over-dribbles as much as any player in the NBA..Vince always played better in games that Nelson missed, like Turkoglu before, so I'm wondering how Arenas and Turkoglu are going to look next to him..

IMO Nelson has to go. I agree with everything you said about him, which makes him a very poor fit with the new pieces.

I'd personally call Charlotte to see if they'd be interested in having a better point guard than D.J Augustine.

If so, I'd ask for Ty Thomas in return or possibly Nazr's expiring contract and a 1st rounder. Maybe even Stephen Jackson straight up.

Shank
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Nash to the Knicks makes sense.

TD 21
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, Carter can't be long for the Suns, because they're overloaded on the wings. I don't think they'll want Childress out of the rotation for long (which is where he'll be the way the roster is now).

The Suns have much better balance now. Once they get rid of Carter, sure they'll lack a go to scorer (not that he's it), but they can start Nash, Pietrus, Hill, Frye and either Lopez or Gortat, then come in with Dragic, Childress, Dudley, Warrick and either Gortat or Lopez.

For the Magic, I've got to think they're not done. They're not balanced at all. Too many wings and points, no backup five and no one who can even pretend to be a wing stopper. Nelson could very well be next, so that Richardson can stay at the two and Turkoglu can stay at the three (with Arenas sliding to point).

As for the Wizards, this trade makes sense. Sure, Lewis has fallen off the face of the earth and has a terrible contract, but he helps balance out their team better and is a good fit, as a catch-and-shoot guy. They needed to rid themselves of Arenas and this was most likely the only option there was going to be to do so. Now they can move on.

For the most part, I like it for all three teams, except for the Magic taking on Turkoglu. Maybe that was the price to getting Richardson, though. If the Magic can parlay Nelson and maybe something minor into a wing stopper type and a decent backup five, they'll be serious threats to win the championship.

JamStone
12-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Assuming for the moment that they don't also trade Nelson, is Arenas the 6th man? I would assume so.

Nelson / Arenas / Duhon
J-Rich / Redick
Hedo / Q-Rich / Earl Clark
Bass / Ryan Anderson
Howard / Malik Allen?

Really would appear they have to deal Jameer, preferably for a back-up center.

angelbelow
12-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Perhaps swing Nelson for a big man is in the works.. I can't see them having such a weak front court if they want to take on the Celtics.

ducks
12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
knick will call about nash again

Amarelooms
12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Desperate move that means your team is not a contender. You can't trade half your team and expect to win lol.....nice panic job Orlando. If they were smart they would have traded Howard

:elephant

Muser
12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
:wakeup
Desperate move that means your team is not a contender. You can't trade half your team and expect to win lol.....nice panic job Orlando. If they were smart they would have traded Howard

:rolleyes

LnGrrrR
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Nash to the Knicks makes sense.

Don't the Heat need a good PG? :lol

TD 21
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Yeah, but they needed to. It's probably unlikely (even if they trade Nelson and possibly a spare part or two for a backup five and/or wing defender) they it all comes together this season for the Magic, but it doesn't need to.

These moves will make Howard happy, he'll more than likely re-sign and once he does that, they have a fairly extensive window, so long as Arenas' knee holds up. Him and Richardson aren't yet thirty, Howard is still only twenty-five and many of their key role players aren't yet thirty, either.

So big deal if it doesn't happen this season (it wasn't going to as they were constructed anyway), they've improved their chances for the next few seasons at least and most likely insured that they'll have one of the top few building blocks in the league locked up long term.

Budkin
12-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Howard?? :lmao

ohmwrecker
12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
This trade makes Orlando only marginally better at best. They have a more dependable shooter in Turkoglu and Richardson is arguably better better than Carter at this point. They will miss Gortat though. Earl Clark is unlikely to soften that blow.
The trade makes no sense for Phoenix. It feels like a rebuild move, but they keep Nash and Hill? They should've moved Nash and Hill to Orlando for Arenas. That would make more sense from a rebuilding point of view. They need a post scorer and shooters . . . so they get rid of their two best shooters and replace the blackhole of a post presence loss left by Amare with Gortat? Phoenix just traded out of the playoffs.
I actually think that Rashard Lewis got the best deal he gets to play on young, energetic team and it should probably do his game some good.

Muser
12-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Richardson is >>>>>>>>>>>>>. Carter.

ohmwrecker
12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Richardson is >>>>>>>>>>>>>. Carter.

I was being diplomatic.

pauls931
12-18-2010, 06:48 PM
knick will call about nash again

I think Amar'e likes being numero uno... I was hoping for this earlier, but for a young team, Nash doesn't make sense.

Muser
12-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Turk and Nelson have coexisted together before, but adding Gilbert makes no sense.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Like PB said, the Knicks aren't going after Nash with the way Felton is playing, it's pointless..it's possible, but it wouldn't be smart IMO..

I haven't checked out their financial situation, but Atlanta picking up Nash would be a nice fit IMO..Horford and Smith playing next to him would be pretty crazy..again, I haven't checked out their financial/picks situation, though, and I don't know what they could offer the Suns..

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
So, according to Stan Van Gundy's pre-game interview tonight, it looks like their lineup will be:

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson
Bass
Howard

Turkoglu

Muser
12-18-2010, 06:59 PM
The Orlando game tonight just got interesting.

Muser
12-18-2010, 06:59 PM
lol one of Nelson/Arenas has to guard Wade when they meet.

crc21209
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
So, according to Stan Van Gundy's pre-game interview tonight, it looks like their lineup will be:

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson
Bass
Howard

Turkoglu

So are they playing tonight?

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
No, they aren't playing tonight..Arenas will play Monday..

crc21209
12-18-2010, 07:04 PM
No, they aren't playing tonight..Arenas will play Monday..

Damn so the Magic are going to be pretty short-handed tonight. I could easily see the 6ers stealing one from the Magic tonight....

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Orlando will be playing 8 guys tonight, same with the Wizards..

I have heavy $ on the Heat covering the spread tonight, they better not play down to them with Arenas, Wall and maybe Blatche out..

Ace
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
J-Rich has to guard Lebron too :lmao

They have Hedo. Oh wait...

pauls931
12-18-2010, 07:06 PM
On ESPN, yup, pretty much cements it.... Hedo as an Amare replacement, LOL... That worked well Sarver... I swear the guy must have some multi-million dollar bet that he can't make Nash flip out and kill himself.

Pero
12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Phoenix just traded out of the playoffs.

Would they get in the playoffs as they were?

Muser
12-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Even with Howard, the Magic are fucked against the Heat.

pauls931
12-18-2010, 07:09 PM

Pretty much sums it up, they were struggling to even make an 8 right now. I mean it was basically like watching last years team without Amare as in he leaves and is replaced with nothing.

ajh18
12-18-2010, 07:11 PM
What about Nash to Toronto? He probably wouldn't mind finishing his career up in his home country. Nash and Hill for Peja (after January when he's allowed to be traded again) might be an interesting option to make the Raptors more dangerous.

ohmwrecker
12-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Maybe as an 7th or 8th seed, but the point is, why do this trade and keep Nash and Hill . . . if they aren't going to make a trade that increases their chances now, then they should make a trade to rebuild. This trade did not do either of those two things.

pauls931
12-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Maybe as an 7th or 8th seed, but the point is, why do this trade and keep Nash and Hill . . . if they aren't going to make a trade that increases their chances now, then they should make a trade to rebuild. This trade did not do either of those two things.

The instant they signed Hedo, they were fuct... Yup, they need to ship out Nash.

djohn2oo8
12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
the hell is Phoenix doing?

pauls931
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Can DoK be unbanned temporarily? :lol:

Jeremy
12-18-2010, 08:07 PM
This is the worst of all of the horrible moves the Suns have made in the last several years. I can't understand how most posters on AZCentral think this is a great trade!

12-18-2010, 08:09 PM
posting this here is probably better. the magic had to give up pietrus in these deals. don't know if i like the magic gains anymore. pietrus may not be the smartest bulb but he was a pretty athletic defender and made his 3's

SpursDynasty85
12-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Even with Howard, the Magic are fucked against the Heat.

Well the point is to have a better chance. The trade definitely gives them that. Jrich and Arenas and Hedo's 3 point shooting ability is wayyy beter than what carter and lewis brought thisyear. I don't get Lewis's downfall. He was on fire 2 years ago playing the same position.

JMarkJohns
12-18-2010, 08:30 PM
This is the worst of all of the horrible moves the Suns have made in the last several years. I can't understand how most posters on AZCentral think this is a great trade!

Wrong. The acquisition of Hedo in the first place was worse, as was balking at guaranteeing five years for Amare.

This is a bad option to remedy those, but, at least the Suns have a starting-caliber C in Gortat now, plus they'll likely be able to spin Pietrus into a 1st from someone, giving them two additional 1sts to their own lottery pick. Hell, maybe even Hill and Nash can fetch something or two.

As others have said, it was necessary. It clears space, adds a few quality pieces and enables them to tear down and rebuild, each of which was far more important than being a back-of-the-lottery, .500 team. At least here there's a chance at a top-10 pick.

TD 21
12-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson
Bass
Howard

Turkoglu

By the sounds of things, Nelson won't be going anywhere. If that's the case, I don't like it for the Magic. I feel they were on the right path (minus Turkoglu), but if they're not going to turn Nelson and a spare part or two into a decent wing defender and a decent backup center, then they're left with an undersized, unbalanced, defenseless team.

Sounds like Duhon, instead, will be shopped in the hopes of landing a backup five. I could see a straight up Duhon for Turiaf trade. The Knicks are desperate for a backup PG. They'd be thin up front without Turiaf, but it would open up more minutes for Mozgov and/or minutes for Randolph period. Although, the Knicks might not want to cut into their cap space for next season, so this trade could come down to how confident they are that they can land Anthony in season.

I could also see the Warriors being interested, as they're also desperate for a backup PG. Trouble is, Gadzuric makes too much to make this a one for one trade and he's not good enough to where I could see the Magic adding in prospects like Clark and Orton to make it work financially. Wright works straight up, but he's rail thin and can't play center.

LkrFan
12-19-2010, 12:03 AM

anyways... Lakers pretty much wrapped up the Pacific Division for the next 10 years!
I don't. He had a chance to play for the Lakers but he chose Phoenix.

Agloco
12-19-2010, 12:04 AM
This trade makes Orlando only marginally better at best.......
The trade makes no sense for Phoenix. It feels like a rebuild move, but they keep Nash and Hill?

Good points. I agree with the first one completely. Orlando is banking on Arenas and Hedo finding their respective mojos of 3 years ago. Odds on that are long indeed. Barring that, it's essentially JRich and spare parts for Gortat, Lewis and Carter. Meh......

On the second though, I think it's a "one step at a time" thing. I'd be surprised if Hill and Nash aren't dealt in the next few weeks.

TE
12-19-2010, 12:14 AM
tbh, I feel bad for the Suns.

Mavs<Spurs
12-19-2010, 12:14 AM
I think the suns got the best out of this trade..gortat is solid guy who can be a double double machine,pietrus good defender and good 3 point shooter is alot like richardson but jason has a better slashing game,expired big contract in carter, and get rid of turk's horrible contract plus a 1st rounder :)

Magic sure didn't get better at best, and fucked up more by getting rid of lewis for arenas..I know arenas is a good player and all but don't see him making a difference really as a shooting guard unless the magic ship off nelson for a small foward cuz Q Rich sucks. Plus Lewis can spread the floor so much for Howard, while it seems that they have alot of confidence in Bass but I don't, and no championship team should have him as a starter. Richardson is going to be a solid player in the system, better shooter but don't see him as a huge upgrade to Carter. Turkoglu is the biggest question mark of the trade if he is the Orlando Turk then I think it will be worth it, but if he is the contract cuckold player than the Magic are fucked for years to come, and could possibly see Dwight leaving Orlando.

this. Phoenix got better. Gortat is a good big, more than serviceable. Pietrius is a good athlete and can shoot the 3, and Vince is still a really good player.

Trading back for Hedo after having traded him away before and at the cost of losing Gortat seems to be an admission of fail. Hedo is not a very good 3 point shooter. He can create for others, a point forward. And he did play well for Orlando the last time he was there. Still, what he will do this time is unknown.

To me, this seems to make sense for the Suns, but I can't figure out how this improves the Magic. Howard gets in foul trouble a lot. Their saving grace was that they had such a quality big to come in for Howard, Gortat. Now what. Howard will continue to have foul problems and now it will really hurt them.

I do agree that the Suns seem confused regarding Nash. Without Nash, this team is completely lost and a cellar dweller. And they count on Grant Hill a lot as well. Yet, both of these guys are older. And Nash is known to have back problems. Doing something later when everyone knows you are desperate is a bad strategy, a recipe for getting much less than you should have. The longer they wait, the worse this situation will become. These things don't improve. :bang

:bang

ohmwrecker
12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
No this trade helps the Suns rebuild. It unloads long term deals, it gets them an additional 1st rounder, and it gets them 1-2 assets they can trade later.

If they try to move Nash and Hill I will agree with you.

Red Hawk #21
12-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Robert Sarver is a fool. Otis Smith is a moron.

Jeremy
12-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Wrong. The acquisition of Hedo in the first place was worse, as was balking at guaranteeing five years for Amare.

This is a bad option to remedy those, but, at least the Suns have a starting-caliber C in Gortat now, plus they'll likely be able to spin Pietrus into a 1st from someone, giving them two additional 1sts to their own lottery pick. Hell, maybe even Hill and Nash can fetch something or two.

As others have said, it was necessary. It clears space, adds a few quality pieces and enables them to tear down and rebuild, each of which was far more important than being a back-of-the-lottery, .500 team. At least here there's a chance at a top-10 pick.

I guess by "worst," I meant that it's the culmination of all of the bad moves and leaves the Suns with nothing--no go-to scorer, no star players at all, except a declining Nash.

I don't have a problem with getting rid of players or rebuilding--I just have a problem with getting nothing in return.

We have no proof that Gortat is a starting-caliber center, as he's only started a total of 5 games in his career. I will have to see it to believe all of the hype--plus we already have a (younger) starting center. And Gortat is already 27 years old, as of February. It's not like he's a developing youngster.

I doubt if Pietrus can net us a 1st, and we didn't need yet another Jared Dudley.

And the 25th or 26th pick in the draft is not likely to give us a great player, especially with our track record of drafting in recent years.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

pauls931
12-19-2010, 08:03 AM
tbh, I feel bad for the Suns.

Me too, if they somehow make the playoffs, they'll probably get swept.

I wish Nash would get traded, but I agree with some. Sarver knows as long as he keeps Nash, people will come to the games.

DPG21920
12-19-2010, 12:54 PM
So this move really didn't save the Suns a ton of money if I am correct, right? It is not like it was some clear cut "rebuild" move. The Suns could think this move makes them legitimately better.

They probably thought that Vince can at least duplicate what Richardson brings them. Then they probably think that Pietrus/Dudley/Childress can quite easily replace Hedo while making them a much better defensive team.

Then when you swap Clark for Gortat, that gives them another legit, mobile & defensive big who actually has some offensive game. A lot is riding on the Carter to Richardson gap, but everywhere else the Suns got better because Gortat is legit and their rotation with Hedo gone actually got better.

Richardson: $14.4M expiring
Turk: 4 years $45M
Clark: $1.8M expiring

Carter: $17.5M expiring (only $4M guaranteed)
Pietrus: $5.3M player option next year.
Gortat: 4 years $28M

DPG21920
12-19-2010, 12:58 PM
The thing that gets me is that when Hedo signed that terrible contract, I thought to myself: poor team, they are stuck with that dude for a long time.

Then his terrible play confirmed that thought. He has now been traded twice. Unreal how many get out of jail free cards have been handed out on his account.

Gutter92
12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't. He had a chance to play for the Lakers but he chose Phoenix.

Because he is a good human being and doesn't want to be associated with the racists, sexual offenders, woman beaters, mentally unstable players that play for the Lakers, tbh.

duncan228
12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Report: Josh Childress is on the block (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/19/report-josh-childress-is-on-the-block/)
Matt Moore

The Phoenix Suns made a significant trade yesterday, moving Jason Richardson, arguably their second best player, along with the albatross contract of Hedo Turkoglu and Earl Clark to acquire Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat and a first round draft pick.

If reports are on target, they are not through dealing.

Marc Stein of ESPN reports that the Suns have discussed trading Josh Childress (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=steinsunsdeal-101218), acquired this summer in free agency after two years in Greece, to no avail. That Childress can’t get off Gentry’s bench is a little bizarre. It’s a matter of discipline, and that’s fine, but Childress is athletic enough, there should be a place for him. This team isn’t good enough to be benching a talent like Childress. And it’s not going to help with trying to move him.

Rebuilding teams should be taking a look at him. The problem is that Childress is on the books for $20 million more after this season. It may be easier to trade for him after the CBA talks are over if there are rollbacks. Moving him before then is going to be difficult unless the Suns sneak into a three-way deal with a team willing to take on massive amounts of salary. And that’s not exactly likely with everyone buckling down over the next few months.

You have to wonder how things would have progressed for Childress had he not bolted for Europe. I’m sure he got some quality experiences out of it, and the money he got when he came back was great, but his career is in a hole right now. It just could have been different, that’s all.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=168561

LakerHater
12-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Man, Suns getting rid of everybody!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rgc6iu.jpg