PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Banking issue

DeadlyDynasty
12-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I was checking my online banking today and I found an extra $2,000 in my savings account. I've never used my savings account aside from the $100 deposit I made when I originally opened the account. It says the deposit was made yesterday but there are no other details. It's also not listed as a "pending" transaction--the money is actually there. None of my family have that acct #, but I asked if any of them made a deposit anyways--to which they all said no. What should I do? Needles to say, I'm tempted to transfer it over to my checking, but that would probably not be wise.

Nathan Explosion
12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Just leave it for a few days, maybe a week and see what happens. The last thing you want to do is spend the money.

The bank may catch their mistake and fix it.

Duff McCartney
12-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I would just transfer it over to your account. When they ask you about it just play dumb and say you have no idea about it. If they threaten to take your money, then threaten to go public and sue!

BlairForceDejuan
12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
They will catch it. Just notify them of the mistake. Or complicate the situation and spend/transfer it for ultimately nothing.

Fpoonsie
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Just leave it for a few days, maybe a week and see what happens. The last thing you want to do is spend the money.

The bank may catch their mistake and fix it.

This.

I've had this happen to me before, only I was the guy who deposited money, and the idiot teller put it into someone else's account entirely. I didn't even notice their mistake until I overdrafted and noticed the money was never put into my account.

Sisk
12-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Tell the bank the mistake. You don't want to use the money.. could get in legal trouble.

CubanMustGo
12-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Tell the bank the mistake. You don't want to use the money.. could get in legal trouble.

Bingo. Guarantee you their lawyers are a whole lot better than anyone you're going to find and since it's not your money, you don't have anything to stand on in the first place.

Venti Quattro
12-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Which bank is this? Any of the big 4 ones?

Chomag
12-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Best thing to do would be to report the mistake to the bank to have them adjust your account. They can and will fallow up on it when they come up short . I think transferring the money would even make it worse legally as all of that is recorded.

Trying to transfer the money in order to hide it in another account just might make things really bad for you. So I would highly recommend not trying that.

Bank error yes, but that does not mean it's your money.

DeadlyDynasty
12-19-2010, 02:52 AM
I called the bank earlier today and got it all settled. Still, it was nice waking up to an extra 2 g's in the bank. What could've been...

12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
you guys are a bunch of squares. should have just withdrew the money and run straight to mexico.

Wild Cobra
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
you guys are a bunch of squares. should have just withdrew the money and run straight to mexico.
For a lousy $2G? That would be loser style dumb.

Sisk
12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
For a lousy $2G? That would be loser style dumb.

This.

Nathan Explosion
12-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Banks are totally incompetent these days, I went to pay off the remaining 4 grand or so on my car note the other day and in doing so they miscalculated the amount owed, so when I get home I see that I still owe 31 dollars before I can get my clear title. In the process she also tranfered ALL of my money into my savings, so that I had 0 balance in my checking and got an overdraft fee when I went to buy a 3 dollar shake crofl. Also they started sneaking other fees in, such as a 10 dollar maintenance fee every month. When I confront them about this, I learn that in order to waive the maintenance fee you have to either have over 1,000 in your checking (which I dipped below when she somehow transferred all of my other funds to another account) or you can transfer 25 dollars a month from your checking into your savings to waive the fee as well. This is something I have been doing since I opened the account but for some reason they decided to stop doing this without my consent, just to charge me more fees. These are just a few examples, they've also charged me various other bullshit fees here lately, all of which were reversed after I caught them because none were my fault at all. Basically, don't bank with Wells Fargo. As far as your 2,000 dollars go, fuck it, their mistake, I'd hold on to it for a few months then just keep it.

That's why I go with credit unions. I had both a credit union and a bank (Compass) and my credit union is so much better than Compass. I like to have another account at a different back to put $10 a week in and leave alone, so that way in case I need a little extra cash, I can have some there.

XBox Live screwed up and I didn't catch it and messed up my Compass account, overdrafting. Since I like to leave the account alone, I didn't catch it for a few weeks. Instead of fighting it, I left it because in the end, it was my fault for not catching the mistake. However, I was still depositing money, so the overdraft was getting paid down. However, Compass decided to close my account with a $40 balance left on it. Dumbasses could have waited one more month and had it all settled while still getting my business.

Oh well, when I have time, I'm thinking of going to another credit union and opening a new checking account there to start my emergency fund.

TheTruth
12-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I had $8000 deposited into my checking account by the University of Texas @ Austin a few years back. I just let it sit there until the bank fixed the mistake (which they did after about 3 days). I probably would have given them 6 months before I started using it.

Soul_Patch
12-20-2010, 09:56 AM
My wife started a job a few years back, went to 2 days of training then took another offer that she was waiting on for more money. Well about 3 weeks later, we got a direct deposit for her first check from the job she quit after two days. We tried to call, got put on hold, transferred and sent to a voicemail. Left a message. 2 weeks later. Check number 2. Nice...Tried to call again, three different times this time, and each time got voicemail.

Checks stopped coming after the second one, but they never called back or asked for their money back. Paid off our last credit card with it after a few months of no response.