PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner taking his down to earth, "cheap" act too far.

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Dude rides the bus in Toronto.

Drives a Pontiac Grand Am.

Wears New Balance shoes that he bought at the Eisenhower flea market.

Buy some damn Nikes Matt. Jeez.

:lmao:lobt2::flag::toast

longhorn
12-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Dude rides the bus in Toronto.

Drives a Pontiac Grand Am.

Wears New Balance shoes that he bought at the Eisenhower flea market.

Buy some damn Nikes Matt. Jeez.

:lmao:lobt2::flag::toast

Hahah the moment his sole fell off and they showed his shoes, I was like "New Balance? What the fu...do they even make basketball shoes?"

timvp
12-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Seriously. Bonner needs to get some sweatshop powered shoes. I'm surprised his New Balance shoes didn't blow up sooner.

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 02:46 AM
He was sporting Converse earlier in the year. Guess that Macy's gift card ran out.

Seriously though, the shoes he wears looks like the "basketball" shoes youd find at a department store like Kohl's or Ross. I can show him exactly where foot locker is at La Cantera, Ingram, South Park, and Crossroads. JK about crossroads.

DeadlyDynasty
12-19-2010, 02:47 AM
He'll probably go with some British Knights next.

http://cdn.necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/british-knights-black-and-white-granite.jpg

Don't begrudge the man for shopping at Payless.

carina_gino20
12-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Seriously. Bonner needs to get some sweatshop powered shoes. I'm surprised his New Balance shoes didn't blow up sooner.

Is that your bundle of joy? Very cute.

Libri
12-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Bonner's shoe mishap begins at :15. :lol

LTDlbNqOhLE

duncan228
12-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Matt Bonner had to take an intentional foul on Randolph in the second quarter after three-fourths of the sole came loose from the body of his right shoe.

“It felt like a flip-flop,” said Bonner, who made four trips up and down the court with the damaged footwear.

...“I’ve been hoping Converse would come through with a shoe deal, but they haven’t, so I just kind of wear whatever,” he said. “I’ve been wearing Converse and throwing in some New Balance, but they did not come through for me tonight.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/18/quinn-more-than-garbage-time-player/

Chieflion
12-19-2010, 02:54 AM
This is what you get for wearing New Balance in a professional basketball game. Matt, step your shoes up.

maddnezz
12-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Look at RJ at 0:19 sec haha you know the team gonna clown him for a long time haha!:D

awktalk
12-19-2010, 03:10 AM
“I’ve been hoping Converse would come through with a shoe deal, but they haven’t, so I just kind of wear whatever,” he said. “I’ve been wearing Converse and throwing in some New Balance, but they did not come through for me tonight.”

ROFL! Oh poor Matty. No respect at all. This has shoe contract tied to ironic commercial all over it. Paging Converse marketing gurus! Get you some RED ROCKET!

Hooks
12-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Does anyone remember when Ron Mercer's shoe did the exact same thing? I remember it was a while back, he was running on the fast break or something and the bottom of his shoe tore off.

Cessation
12-19-2010, 03:23 AM
lol rj with the face palm

GSH
12-19-2010, 03:27 AM

Captain Beefheart in your sig. RIP Don Van Vliet.

longhorn
12-19-2010, 03:30 AM
You know something's wrong when Bonner can get more minutes than every post player but Tim Duncan (and even more than Timmy sometimes) but can't even lock up a shoe deal with Converse.

DeadlyDynasty
12-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Captain Beefheart in your sig. RIP Don Van Vliet.

Indeed.:toast

SenorSpur
12-19-2010, 03:55 AM
What next Matty? PF Flyers?

4>0rings
12-19-2010, 04:02 AM
New Balance stock dropping like a rock.

greyforest
12-19-2010, 05:12 AM
matt bonner is so white that he wears new balance in the nba.

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2010, 05:48 AM
what the point of buyin multiple pairs of NB if they cant keep up with the nba game, should just invest in a pair of nikes or adidas that probably last you 1-2 seasons....

Behrooz24
12-19-2010, 09:09 AM
lol! I missed the first half and didn't see this. If Bonner is a top 3 player in the NBA with New Balances, imagine if he wore Jordans!

yavozerb
12-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Look at RJ at 0:19 sec haha you know the team gonna clown him for a long time haha!:D

:lol, pretty damn funny...Its almost like RJ wanted to laugh but simply chose the dont see, dont laugh approach..:lol

JR21
12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
LMAO :lmao

They actually have a pair of his New Balance shoes at Fatsos on Bandera. They actually look descent...

ShoogarBear
12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
what the point of buyin multiple pairs of NB if they cant keep up with the nba game, should just invest in a pair of nikes or adidas that probably last you 1-2 seasons....

One pair of shoes don't last a quarter of a season in the NBA.

yavozerb
12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Just heard Bonner has signed on With LA Gear....:lol

DMC
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Just heard Bonner has signed on With LA Gear....:lol
Kangaroo is coming up from behind quick though...

DMC
12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
You know, fuck the shoe contract. I don't make anywhere near what Matt makes and I have the best equipment for my hobbies, certainly wouldn't skimp for my job.

The frugal thing needs to take a backseat to the common fucking sense thing.

BanditHiro
12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
If a player does not have a shoe deal, is there a particular brand a player is forced to wear?

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
You know, fuck the shoe contract. I don't make anywhere near what Matt makes and I have the best equipment for my hobbies, certainly wouldn't skimp for my job.

The frugal thing needs to take a backseat to the common fucking sense thing.

I was half joking about the "cheap" or "frugal" thing.

New Balance is HQ'ed out of Boston, they're made in the USA and not in a viet sweatshop, and mostly they're not the usual NBA shoe...I think those things play more of a factor in Matt chosing them than price.

IIRC New Balance running shoes are quite expensive, like im talking 200 or 300+. I have no clue about the basketball shoes though, as I have never looked into buying New Balance for my basketball needs.

As Timvp mentioned Matt needs to get those sweatshop powered shoes. Those 9 year old kids know how to make shoes that'll last.

DMC
12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Well the whole sweatshop thing is a different topic. Go tell those 9 year old kids they cannot work there because it's a sweatshop. See how that goes over.

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Well the whole sweatshop thing is a different topic. Go tell those 9 year old kids they cannot work there because it's a sweatshop. See how that goes over.

Yes different topic, but while we're on it....

I don't really care so much that kids are working in sweatshops, but if you're paying them pennies why do I have to pay 150 for a pair of Kobes???

BC you pay Kobe 50 mil to wear them thats why.

Answered my own question :downspin:

DMC
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes different topic, but while we're on it....

I don't really care so much that kids are working in sweatshops, but if you're paying them pennies why do I have to pay 150 for a pair of Kobes???

BC you pay Kobe 50 mil to wear them thats why.

Answered my own question :downspin:
No, that's not why. You have to pay it because you will. If no one paid it, the price would be lower. It's the demand that drives the price, not the cost of manufacture. Actually demand drives price and manufacture cost, because companies will spend more to produce what is in demand.

ploto
12-19-2010, 05:42 PM
...“I’ve been hoping Converse would come through with a shoe deal, but they haven’t, so I just kind of wear whatever,” he said. “I’ve been wearing Converse and throwing in some New Balance, but they did not come through for me tonight.”

Bonner makes $40,000 per game. He can buy some damn shoes.

Trill Clinton
12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Hahah the moment his sole fell off and they showed his shoes, I was like "New Balance? What the fu...do they even make basketball shoes?"

:lmao You lyin

longhorn
12-19-2010, 06:20 PM
:lmao You lyin

Huh?

spurspokesman
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM

http://cdn.necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/british-knights-black-and-white-granite.jpg

:lol

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
No, that's not why. You have to pay it because you will. If no one paid it, the price would be lower. It's the demand that drives the price, not the cost of manufacture. Actually demand drives price and manufacture cost, because companies will spend more to produce what is in demand.

Makes sense.

jag
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Bonner's shoe mishap begins at :15. :lol

LTDlbNqOhLE

At :32 did Matt Bonner just mean mug his opponent and point to his eye after draining the 3-ball? "In your eye, bitch"

ElNono
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Haters gonna hate, tbh

alchemist
12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2mmhlbk.gif

haters gonna hate

Kori Ellis
12-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I know he loves being frugal, but like others said...his shoes are a big part of his job - so he should invest in good ones.

And though he might not get a big endorsement deal, most shoe companies are willing to send NBA players free shoes.

Heck, if I have over 60 pairs of free shoes in my closet just from writing about them, Matt Bonner should be able to get some free shoes.

IIRC New Balance running shoes are quite expensive, like im talking 200 or 300+. I have no clue about the basketball shoes though, as I have never looked into buying New Balance for my basketball needs.

New Balance basketball shoes are $50-$110 per pair.

DPG21920
12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Matt has been this way and it has never been a problem before. Now people are saying he needs to invest in better shoes :lol.

People always overreact to the funniest stuff. He can wear whatever shoe he wants and it will continue to be a non-issue just like it has been for his entire NBA career.

Spursmania
12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2mmhlbk.gif

:lmao:lmao:lmao Really Matty? Come on-man up and get some real BB shoes. Jeez...lmao:rollin

Behrooz24
12-19-2010, 11:55 PM
He keeps em clean tho!

DMC
12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Matt has been this way and it has never been a problem before. Now people are saying he needs to invest in better shoes :lol.

People always overreact to the funniest stuff. He can wear whatever shoe he wants and it will continue to be a non-issue just like it has been for his entire NBA career.
So because you say it's a non-issue, it's suddenly a non-issue? Thanks coach Pop... didn't know you post here.

DPG21920
12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
If you can post a link to where this has been a problem in his previous 6 years in the league, I would certainly like to see it.

Non-Issue.

spurs10
12-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Matt, it's not like you're scrambling for rent money. Get yourself some decent wheels man!

gospursgojas
12-20-2010, 02:51 AM
If you can post a link to where this has been a problem in his previous 6 years in the league, I would certainly like to see it.

Non-Issue.

Its a huge issue.

Matt had to intentionaly foul causing Blair who already had 3 fouls to come into the came. Also it cracked all the guys on the bench up (see rj in vid) therefore causing them to lose focus and let memphis back into the game. Matts 2nd pair of shoes cost Holt another 39.99 and when you're already in lux tax territory every dollar counts!

Matt should be fined.

HUGE ISSUE.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2010, 02:53 AM
:lol

itzsoweezee
12-20-2010, 03:02 AM

Non-Issue.

Lol, maybe you should pay a little closer attention to the posts in this thread. Start with the gifs of Boner having to intentionally foul an opponent because Boner's cheap shoe literally fell apart.

BanditHiro
12-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Lol, maybe you should pay a little closer attention to the posts in this thread. Start with the gifs of Boner having to intentionally foul an opponent because Boner's cheap shoe literally fell apart.

more fouls for bonner means less playing time while making his chance to foul out increase...what's the problem?

ChumpDumper
12-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Something tells me if this happened to pretty much any other Spur save Udoka, there would be no shitstorm over a fucking shoe.

lol serious issue

TJastal
12-20-2010, 03:09 AM
I wonder if Matty even skimps on the tips for his personal masseuse?

ChumpDumper
12-20-2010, 03:10 AM
I wonder if TJastal's butt will ever stop hurting.

polandprzem
12-20-2010, 03:49 AM
I wonder if TJastal's butt will ever stop hurting.

Wow, you care about his butt

ChumpDumper
12-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Wow, you care about his buttJust about its hurting. Gotta be excruciating.

Xevious
12-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Lol I actually like New Balance. I've gotten plantar fascitis a couple times in other shoes because I'm on my feet 13+ hours a work day, but New Balance has always been good to me. That said, I didn't even know they made a basketball shoe.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I got what Bonner needs right here.

http://nicekicks.com/images/la-gear-2009-7.jpg

Like other people are saying, if the average person can wear decent bball shoes, I don't know wtf Bonner is doing with those NBs. I wear Hyperdunks, and while they don't make a huge difference in my game, there is a very noticeable improvement in traction, lateral stability, weight, and response from the shoe, compared to the heavier ones I use to wear that didn't support mobility nearly as much. I can honestly say that I feel more confident making cuts and crossovers in Hyperdunks compared to any other shoe I've had. I can't believe an NBA player is in anything less than the best shoes on the market. Kind of disgusting, really. Like taking someone to court and your lawyer shows up in pajamas.

What if that costs us a foul in a playoff game? Bonner needs to be fined every game until he buys decent shoes.

EricD
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Sometimes I wonder how good this Spurs' team would be if Bonner and Udoka both tore their ACL's for the year.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Sometimes I wonder how good this Spurs' team would be if Bonner and Udoka both tore their ACL's for the year.

Udoka's fine. He's only soaking up minutes right now. It's true that we might be better playing 4 v 5, but I'm guessing Pop puts him on the court in case a brawl breaks out and we need to thrash the other team.

As soon as Anderson comes back, Udoka will only play the garbage of garbage minutes.

boutons_deux
12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
$150+ for basketball/running shoes worn by people who never play basketball nor run is nothing but pure ghetto bling.

Matty's shoe problem was hilarious.

I wonder how many here were thrilled when he fouled and took himself to the bench, thinking he was injured and out of service. :)

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

You are truly a dumb ass...Sometimes I wonder how much better this site would be without posters like yourself.

EricD
12-20-2010, 11:39 AM
You are truly a dumb ass...Sometimes I wonder how much better this site would be without posters like yourself.

Are you one of those black bolded egomaniacs that is hurt about not being medal worthy?

I read a lot of your takes and I think you are very wrong on a lot of subjects, yet you think you are all that.

Get a life and get a clue.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 11:43 AM
$150+ for basketball/running shoes worn by people who never play basketball nor run is nothing but pure ghetto bling.

I run and hoop. It's not cheap. However, I've found that spending $120-$150 for a pair of shoes once a year and playing/running in comfort beats the hell out of paying $40 for shoes that last half a season and end up spraining your ankle or causing blisters/arch injuries. I'll NEVER play ball or run in cheap shoes again if I can avoid it. Just not worth the risk and discomfort.

Are you one of those black bolded egomaniacs that is hurt about not being medal worthy?

Get a life.

This coming from a guy who's openly hoping for two people to suffer incredibly painful, possibly career-ending injuries?

jjktkk
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM

I read a lot of your takes and I think you are very wrong on a lot of subjects, yet you think you are all that.

Dude, what is with your hardon with poster's id in bold? Maybe if you pm timvp or Kori, and ask real nice, they will put your id in bold font.

EricD
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Dude, what is with your hardon with poster's id in bold? Maybe if you pm timvp or Kori, and ask real nice, they will put your id in bold font.

Posters like you give gray posters like me a bad name and a bad rap. When in reality I contribute thoughtful posts.

You're better off in the NBA forum with the other clowns to be honest.

temujin
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM

I was about to post EXACTLY the same words.
Another idiot that never had issues with his knees.
Possibly because he's spending his whole life in front of a frigging computer.

jjktkk
12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Posters like you give gray posters like me a bad name and a bad rap. When in reality I contribute thoughtful posts.

No, just by your idiotic posts, quite a few posters on here are figuring out what the "D" stands for in your user I.D. .

EricD
12-20-2010, 12:01 PM
quite a few posters on here are figuring out what the "D" stands for in your user I.D. .

You're just too funny aren't you.

Get a life moron.

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 12:03 PM

:lol....Dude, if you really want black bolded lettering ask, I really could care less. Thanks for reading my takes and I am glad you disagree with them cause I would probably change my entire way of thinking about spurs basketball if you did agree. Who the hell wishes injuries to players on the team they are supposedly supporting? Your bullshit takes are getting old and in a season when everything is going well you have an uncanny way to bring everything down. I have and will always support Bonner as a player cause the guy will always give 100% everytime he is in the game. If you want to Bonner hate, thats fine, but the bullshit of wanting injuries is simply stupid and I am always going to speak out against that shit. I dont post on ST to prove everyone wrong or prove I am right on every topic, I am simply a fan who enjoys talking to other educated spurs fans.

EricD
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
:lol....Dude, if you really want black bolded lettering ask, I really could care less. Thanks for reading my takes and I am glad you disagree with them cause I would probably change my entire way of thinking about spurs basketball if you did agree. Who the hell wishes injuries to players on the team they are supposedly supporting? Your bullshit takes are getting old and in a season when everything is going well you have an uncanny way to bring everything down. I have and will always support Bonner as a player cause the guy will always give 100% everytime he is in the game. If you want to Bonner hate, thats fine, but the bullshit of wanting injuries is simply stupid and I am always going to speak out against that shit. I dont post on ST to prove everyone wrong or prove I am right on every topic, I am simply a fan trying to talk to other educated spurs fans.

I could really care less about a stupid bold font. It's just obvious how some bolded people talk in a very condescending manner like they are all that. When in reality they are pretty stupid and are just overly defensive because they invest 50% of their life on this damn site.

lol Educated. Newsflash Chris Broussard of Spurstalk there's not as many "educated" spursfans as you suggest. At least from what I read.

Man In Black
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
It's actually happened to Nike before:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/21/sports/sports-people-track-and-field-the-tale-of-a-running-shoe-gone-bad.html

Mel_13
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
After blowing out his New Balance vs Memphis, Matt Bonner calls shoe choice tonight "a game-time decision."

http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN