PDA

View Full Version : Can the Spurs win a ring with their current line-up ?

analyzed
12-19-2010, 02:52 AM
When the season started most of were the opinion that their window had closed with Duncan's decline. Logic being most champions have a legitimate MVP candidate and we had none . But now , with their best start in history and currently the best record with almost a 1/3 of the season done. People are starting to re-think things and just maybe we still have a shot. Although we don't have a real legitimate MVP candidate , Manu has emerged as our clear go to guy in clutch situations (closer). Our offesnse has changed drastically from a methodical inside outside game centered around TD , to a more fluid european type of game of cuts , ball movement and outside shooting.

For me the million dollar question is , can this new style top the Lakers? The big question is with the Lakers twin tower combination of Bynum and Gasol, do we stick to our european system of using a four like Bonner to stretch their defense as a counter mismatch to their size by using speed and the perimeter or do we try to matchup with size by using Tiago and TD together ? The thing is Tiago and TD have not played one minute together and I really don't think the combination is part of Pop's equation at all.
The other thing is if you guys havent noticied that since Anderson has gone down , we have been using Manu and even Neal at back-up small forward, serously will this work against Artest and Barnes of the Lakers ? With how confident both Neal and Manu have been lauching threes without hesitation ala European international teams, this might actually work to counter the Lakers big front court.

At the end , I'm still not convinced we can beat LA with this system and makeup of our line-up, however as we play stronger teams, things might become more feasible. It's happened before where small ball ( Golden state vs Dallas, Pheonix etc) so maybe it is possible. I do have to give credit to Pop and the coaching staff for changing things. At the very least I can say that what started as almost hopeless situation at the start of the season has brought some belief that maybe we can . And for that alone Pop and the staff have to be given credit

gospursgojas
12-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Can it be 12/28 already so we can not have this question asked every night?

polandprzem
12-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Yea exactly

What makes you so fucking special starting a new thread?

On 1st page you've got 4 topics you could relate your post to.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...

DeadlyDynasty
12-19-2010, 03:13 AM

It won't be answered then, either. We'll find out come May.

jjktkk
12-19-2010, 03:25 AM
The Lakers have the edge in size, no doubt, but IMO the Spurs have the edge in the perimeter.

TJastal
12-19-2010, 10:37 AM
They need another big that can play. Jason Thompson would be a nice pick up, or Randolph....Just someone long and bouncy that can be active inside, and block a shot or two.

Blair plays 12mpg......Tiago is biult like Paris Hilton and cannot rebound the ball. Dice is good for 12mpg.....and Bonner is Bonner. We still need another big, spurs would be making a mistake not to go after more size.

Bonner shoots 50% from 3pt range when left wide open, though.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes! :bang