PDA

View Full Version : Screw it, I'm all in...forget drafting a QB, Keep The Fitz

DeadlyDynasty
12-20-2010, 05:06 AM
How can you not like this guy?

Bare with me, as I just had an epiphany on the Buffalo Bills situation and I'd like somebody to hear it. We don't need to draft our franchise QB or sign him through FA--we already have him. Meet Ryan Fitzpatrick:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qiWpz0lHHQQ/TLJflMqmIrI/AAAAAAAAAH0/zwNZ2Q3vZto/s1600/ryan-fitzpatrick.jpg
Postgame presser today:

He looks like a thin Galifinakis, lol (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Fitzpatrick-Postgame-Press-Conference/f0e87b46-7a1d-4a3e-8e79-0bbfa148e48f)

Ryan Joseph Fitzpatrick was drafted in the 7th round of the 2005 draft by the Rams--only 5 people were picked after him (he was the 250th pick)! The man was an Economics major at freaking HARVARD UNIVERSITY (you Boston guys should appreciate that:lol). His first ever action came later that year when he came into a game against the Texans down 24-3 and proceeded to throw for 310 yards and 3 touchdowns whilst leading St. Louis to a 33-27 overtime victory (thank you wikipedia!).

After a few lackluster seasons in Cincy where he mainly was a fill-in for Carson Palmer, he signed with the Buffalo Bills in 2009. Once Trent Edwards was kicked to the curb after Week 2 this year, Fitzy was named the starter and has since then put up one of the more underrated campaigns in recent memory.

Fitz has thrown for 23 touchdowns, 12 picks, and close to 2,800 yards in 12 starts this year. He's also a pretty damn underrated runner/scrambler. Matter of fact he was 3rd in rushing yards among QB's in 2008--not bad for a cornfed whiteboy from Gilbert, AZ! Those numbers are not all that impressive by themselves, I know this. It's not Tom Brady's 33 td's and 4 picks or Michael Vick's MVP-like season. In fact most people would consider it a pretty pedestrian statline.

What makes it impressive is what he has to work with. Buffalo has one of the worst offensive lines in NFL history--Unless you've somehow seen some Bills games this year, then it's hard to grasp just how truly heinous they are. Not only that, that terrible line has suffered injuries this year, giving way to unproven back-ups.

When healthy, the Bills starting WR corps consists of two #2 receivers who are barely tall enough to ride the rides at Disney World. Through the course of the season the Bills have lost linemen, their starting TE, and 2 of their 3 top wideouts (Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish) to the IR. The Bills defense, although much better in the last six games, is 32nd in the league against the rush. They are 8th against the pass but that is a fool's gold statistic b/c teams don't really pass a lot on them (the moronic Dolphins excluded).

Yet, through all this, Fitzpatrick has managed to throw at least one touchdown in every game despite throwing to names that nobody has ever heard of. He only has 12 picks despite being behind almost all the time and the defense expecting the pass. His proficiency in the passing game has actually opened up holes for the underrated Fred Jackson and improved our running game (still bad, but better). The immensely talented CJ Spiller will be a good compliment in the future as well, playing what I see as a Reggie Bush-role for this team.

Two years ago--after the Bills choked away a 5-1 season start--I became apathetic to them for the first time in my life. I never thought it would happen. We had a string of horrid QB's and no playoffs since 1999. The Music City Forward Pass was the last playoff game the Bills were in. Wade Phillips was our coach. I thought times were tough then, but I had no idea how bad the new decade would be. The Bills are my #1 sports team, above the Lakers, Marlins, Panthers, and Canes...so these last 11 years have been excruciating, football-wise (brilliant for the Lakeshow though:king).

I basically lost my faith in Bills football and this year was no different. Even when Fitzy came in Week 3 I was pretty numb to Bills football and wasn't really vested in the games. Week-by-week I watched as Buffalo found new ways to lose a football game. They lost by 8 to the Patriots (in a game they surprisingly had a chance to win), blew an early 10-0 lead on the Jags, blew 3 overtime games where they lost in inexplicable ways (Steelers, Ravens, and Chiefs), and lost by 3 to the Bears when they had a late 4th quarter lead.

Each loss was more frustrating then the last, but I couldn't help getting excited about a starting QB who gave us a chance to win these games against quality opponents. Not only that, his stats were pretty damn good, all things considered. When they finally won--a 14-12 home win over the lowly Lions--it felt like we made the playoffs.

It's pathetic, but that will always be one of my favorite Bills games for as long as I live. That team took one kick in the nuts after another this season and still conjured up enough pride to keep at it. Chan Gailey is not a good HC, but I'll give him some credit b/c an 0-8 team never quit on him. That says a lot, imo. Doesn't change the fact that he calls a terrible game, but props nonetheless.

If you've ever been a fan of a "cursed" or losing team--be it any sport--then you know the good moments are few and far between, but you appreciate them even more. JoeTait75 is Mr. Cleveland on here...I'm sure he could wax poetic about his beloved Browns all day :lol, despite what they've been through. Red Sox fans pre-2004 know the feeling. Dallas Mavericks fans--remember how bad the 90's were for you? That's what this last decade has been like for Bills fans--but like me, I'm sure you still have a few fleeting good memories from the 90s--insignificant or not. Loving a perennial loser could only be akin to a parent's love of their kids--unconditional:lol

Fitzpatrick has proven to be an exceptional leader through an incredibly trying season, and I think he should be rewarded for it. Make him "our" guy. He's a ballsy, overachieving, gunslinging QB who almost always gives us a chance to win. All this season, part of me has wanted him to fail so we can draft Andrew Luck or Ryan Mallet.

But now, I'm here to say fuck it...let's give this guy the keys to the Yugo and see if we can trade it in for a Rolls down the line. He's 28 years old, smart, and fearless. No, he'll never be a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even a Rivers or Brees, but he doesn't have to be. Bills fans are pushovers, give us a scrappy QB with heart (Kelly, Reich, Flutie), and we're sold.

As we speak there's a Fitz jersey in the mail on its way to my place...It will be my christmas present to myself:lol. I know full well--being a Bills fan--that he could very well be traded or suffer a career-ending injury the day after I get that #14.

I'm also aware that these last two games are against the Pats and Jets, and he'll most likely have pretty bad outings. If given the starting job next year he could suck terribly as well--but it's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Here's to the hobo from Harvard that made me proud to be a Bills fan again.:toast

God bless

Duff McCartney
12-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I didn't know they grew corn in Arizona. I thought that was for Iowa kids.

DeadlyDynasty
12-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't know they grew corn in Arizona. I thought that was for Iowa kids.

I think they grow some sweet corn, if I'm not mistaken:lol

LnGrrrR
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I really like Fitzpatrick, and think that Bills shouldn't be too concerned about replacing him at this moment when they have so many other issues.

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I really like Fitzpatrick, and think that Bills shouldn't be too concerned about replacing him at this moment when they have so many other issues.

Agreed.

We need an offensive line and an entire defensive front 7 (save for Kyle Williams, who is underrated).

IronMexican
12-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybin over Orakpo and Matthews lolomg

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Maybin over Orakpo and Matthews lolomg

"Jamaaaaaaarcus is a great player. Get over it."

5bNKxkZyIDw

IronMexican
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
:depressed

DeadlyDynasty