PDA

View Full Version : Gyms in San Antonio

Soul_Patch
12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I am strongly considering joining a jiu jitsu gym here in San Antonio. I would prefer one that trained a multitude of styles vs. just jiu jitsu. I found a few around town that fit the bill, doing boxing and muay thai classes occasionally. Even a few full MMA training sessions.

I am not looking to compete professionally, i just want to get in shape and figured it would be fun to learn something while doing it.

Anyone have any experience with a gym in town? I am also tossing around the idea of just a straight boxing gym.

rjv
12-20-2010, 10:28 AM
sparta gym....and i believe the krav maga center has some MMA classes as well now available to those who do not want to fight. i have not been with krav maga for about a year now but the sparta gym is very nice and has very small classes.

Soul_Patch
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Krav Maga doesn't really interest me at all. I did Kenpo Karate for a year or so, and while it was OK, I didnt care for it all that much.

Im not saying i dont want to fight, sparring or even perhaps amateur type stuff may be fun once i get in shape...i am just not too interested in competing on any kind of organized or professional level. At least not yet, who knows.

I'm a little old to be starting a professional fighting career (33) but i could be the next Randy Coutoure...lol...

I would be interested in Boxing, Kick Boxing or Jiu Jitsu. Would love a place that did all of them in some form or fashion.

right now looking at http://www.btt-texas.com they seem to have a pretty good schedule.

These places are expensive though, like 150 to 200 a month...jeez!

http://www.btt-texas.com/schedule.pdf

cornbread
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Sending you a PM Soul Patch.

rjv
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Krav Maga doesn't really interest me at all. I did Kenpo Karate for a year or so, and while it was OK, I didnt care for it all that much.

Im not saying i dont want to fight, sparring or even perhaps amateur type stuff may be fun once i get in shape...i am just not too interested in competing on any kind of organized or professional level. At least not yet, who knows.

I'm a little old to be starting a professional fighting career (33) but i could be the next Randy Coutoure...lol...

I would be interested in Boxing, Kick Boxing or Jiu Jitsu. Would love a place that did all of them in some form or fashion.

right now looking at http://www.btt-texas.com they seem to have a pretty good schedule.

These places are expensive though, like 150 to 200 a month...jeez!

http://www.btt-texas.com/schedule.pdf

if boxing, jesse james leija also has a boxing gym on san pedro. i believe that is about 100.00 per month. sparta has thai kick boxing and that is about 75.00 per month.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 05:33 PM
i was thinking about doing the same thing last night, no lie. we should join the same place SP. 100 a month seems pricey but it cant be free i guess
and i feel the same way, not looking for competition right away (31) but will leave the idea open. gonna check out that sparta gym right meow

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
i just talk to a real nice guy at sparta gym which happens to be right near my house. basically i asked- i would like to get a price that would take me through may including any new promotions or coupons. he asked mma classes or physical training, i said mma ,he took a while and came back with the price of $290 !! thats cheaper than i expected!! i then asked what it included and basically 2 classes a day, go as much as you like!! lets go soul patch!! lets do this

rjv
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
i just talk to a real nice guy at sparta gym which happens to be right near my house. basically i asked- i would like to get a price that would take me through may including any new promotions or coupons. he asked mma classes or physical training, i said mma ,he took a while and came back with the price of $290 !! thats cheaper than i expected!! i then asked what it included and basically 2 classes a day, go as much as you like!! lets go soul patch!! lets do this

i recommend sparta. i used to work out there and it is a great facility and very old school gym. it is a small knit community as well so it is like a family. i've had to back off due to some classes i am taking but i should be back at the end of january or some time in february. you will like it though.

ace3g
12-20-2010, 06:47 PM
This is a new Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym in SA on 1604

Rodrigo Pinheiro Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
4553 N. Loop 1604 W. Suite 1215
San Antonio, TX 78249

their website: http://rodrigopinheirobjj.com/index.htm

Come train with World Champion, Rodrigo Pinheiro, from Gracie Humaita. Rodrigo has trained under Royler Gracie, and received his black belt under 6-time World Champion, Saulo Ribeiro. Rodrigo is a Pan American Champion, a 5-time Brazilian National Champion and winner of the Brazilian Championship in Submission Grappling. Rodrigo Pinheiro Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy offers a great opportunity for students to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, improve their ground game, and get quality training from one of the finest BJJ instructors in the United States. At Rodrigo Pinheiro BJJ, you are sure to become the best fighter you can be.

Pete Spratt is also a instructor there.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
good people at sparta, i just got back from there.
start tomorrow

The TroutBum
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
good people at sparta, i just got back from there.
start tomorrow

I remember my first day... if yours is anything like mine, they are going to kick your fucking ass, and you won't be able to lift your arms over your head for a week. I seriously had to bend down and rest my elbow on the sink in order to brush my teeth. BRUTAL.

Then again, I'm a fat bastard -- maybe you'll be find. Be sure to report so I can laugh at your misery.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I remember my first day... if yours is anything like mine, they are going to kick your fucking ass, and you won't be able to lift your arms over your head for a week. I seriously had to bend down and rest my elbow on the sink in order to brush my teeth. BRUTAL.

Then again, I'm a fat bastard -- maybe you'll be find. Be sure to report so I can laugh at your misery.

no diggity no doubt. i hope youre right about kicking my ass, i am interested to see how far i can be pushed. i have never done any kind of boot camp so i have no clue what to expect of myself.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
totally did not mean to jack soul_patch's thread tbh

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
im off to get my ass kicked....

Soul_Patch
12-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Damn, i should have checked back here sooner.

Let me know how it go's! Im not sure that kinda gym is for me, id like more specialized type training (i think)...but i may be wrong, it may be perfect.

Let me know how it go's when you get back.

Soul_Patch
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
What did the 290 include? Was that per month? If so that is freaking expensive!

8FOR!3
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
This is a new Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym in SA on 1604

Rodrigo Pinheiro Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
4553 N. Loop 1604 W. Suite 1215
San Antonio, TX 78249

their website: http://rodrigopinheirobjj.com/index.htm

Come train with World Champion, Rodrigo Pinheiro, from Gracie Humaita. Rodrigo has trained under Royler Gracie, and received his black belt under 6-time World Champion, Saulo Ribeiro. Rodrigo is a Pan American Champion, a 5-time Brazilian National Champion and winner of the Brazilian Championship in Submission Grappling. Rodrigo Pinheiro Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy offers a great opportunity for students to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, improve their ground game, and get quality training from one of the finest BJJ instructors in the United States. At Rodrigo Pinheiro BJJ, you are sure to become the best fighter you can be.

Pete Spratt is also a instructor there.

This, I was living in San Antonio a few months and that's where I trained while I was there. Great place and Pete Spratt's leg kicks are ridiculous.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
no, $290 and i am paid in full through the end of may ! my 32nd bday is may 3rd and i wanna come back and bump this thread sayin that it was the best 300 bucks i ever spent.(that is my official goal) although im pretty sure rudy gave me some kind of discount so you may not get the same exact deal. i think those other places might be a little to serious for me right now, and it is def a family atmosphere at spartan which is exactly what i need. i dont need to feel intimidated or overwhealmed right now. im not concerned with throwing punches or tappin people out i need to work and learn, work and learn, work and learn. thats what i did today and what i hope to do tomorrow

lefty
12-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Gyms in San Antonio ?

Soul_Patch
12-21-2010, 03:06 PM
no, $290 and i am paid in full through the end of may ! my 32nd bday is may 3rd and i wanna come back and bump this thread sayin that it was the best 300 bucks i ever spent.(that is my official goal) although im pretty sure rudy gave me some kind of discount so you may not get the same exact deal. i think those other places might be a little to serious for me right now, and it is def a family atmosphere at spartan which is exactly what i need. i dont need to feel intimidated or overwhealmed right now. im not concerned with throwing punches or tappin people out i need to work and learn, work and learn, work and learn. thats what i did today and what i hope to do tomorrow

Wow, that is awesome. that price is pretty damn good.

I went and checked out The Rodrigo Pinheiro and Carlson Gracie gym today. I'm a little unsure about them. Just unsure if i dont need a more full work out type place, vs. a place seriously focused on competition jiu jitsu.

Soul_Patch
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Looking for the website for Sparta Gym. all i find is http://www.spartanpit.com/

Is this the same place?

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
it looks small in the pics for some reason. like they took the pics in sections.

Soul_Patch
12-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Signed up at Sparta Gym tonight. Went to a wrestling class this evening and had fun learning some guard pass technique and ground and pound. Worked my ass off and had fun. Im hooked already.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
The Spartan Pit is where its at tbh

Soul_Patch
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Ill have to admit i was beat just doing the warm up exercises last night (lol). Im so fat and out of shape right now. Shrimp, Scorpion, Aligator, etc craws tore me up.

We got down to techniques and it was fun. Learned some cool guard pass technique and some striking stuff. Then got to roll for 2 x 3 minute rounds with a partner. First guy was like me and didnt know much yet. We were pretty much even. Him almost ripping my arm off the first go, and me getting him in mount the second go.

Second guy was a ripped up long time member and he pretty much owned my ass. Even when i thought i was getting the upper hand, he quickly armbared or triangle choked me...lol...

All in all fun. I am a little sore this morning, not bad. Going back for boxing this evening.

cornbread
12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Rudy is the man, right? His top game is nasty good. You listen to what that guy says and you will get in the best shape of your life.

Soul_Patch
12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Rudy is the man, right? His top game is nasty good. You listen to what that guy says and you will get in the best shape of your life.

Yea he is a beast. Was interesting watching him work in guard. I would NOT want to catch an elbow from that dude. Yikes!

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2010, 02:17 PM
just got back from day 2. more bjj, gaurd passing to scarf hold to side control back to scarf and back ect. did some mount too. hey soul_patch im going to the boxing class tonight, see you there

Soul_Patch
12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Awesome. I was going to go to the BJJ class today, but i have No Gi.

See you this evening.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
good work tonight SP and nice to meet you. i hope i never have to wear one of your hooks!!

Soul_Patch
12-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Boxing class kicked my ass.

The jump rope as the cool down? What the hell! haha...it was all i could do to even jump over the rope, much less on one leg, or dancing.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
can. not. move.

The TroutBum
12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
can. Not. Move.

awesome.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
finally the pit is open again tomorrow morning !!!!!
my body needed the rest but man im ready to go.
:lol this morning i got outta bed and put my left elbow up and my hand on my ear like i was gonna block somethin :lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
we worked legs and footwork tonight SP
but i know you have a family to take care of , not to mention a sick ass boat, so we'll let it slide...........this time

Soul_Patch
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Lol, thanks! Wife works on Monday nights or i would have been there. I may try and work it out where i can sneak away during the AM on Mondays for the future.

I really need to get back in there and not lose the motivation.

The TroutBum
12-27-2010, 09:45 PM
BTW, I hope you fella's keep this thread going. I like to hear about the shit you're learning, etc.

Does that sound too gay?

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-27-2010, 10:01 PM
its pretty gay but......:lol
today we worked combos on the mitts, but the focus was the footwork. step in 1,1-2, back out (and we had to go under a rope) and then step in and under the rope and explode in to a 1-2 3low, 3high. we did that in 3 minute rounds
then another we used a cone with the rope. had to go forward and around to the right, then all the way back around and explode into a 2
we did other stuff too, weighted shadow boxing, rope work ect. my calves got maxed out today. i coulda gone more (besides anything to do with my calves) but then again i have submission wrestling for the first time tomorrow morning. so i just did the class, stretched with everybody and then did my little 4 set freeweight closing thing i like to do.
last wednesday night the boxing class had me maxed out so i skipped one of the freeweight things i do and regretted it bigtime. so today i doubled up on that one and bounced

all i do is 25-50 shoulder rolls ,25 or 30 bicep curls, 20 or more of whatever its called when you start with the weights just above your shoulder and push straight up, and the thing i skipped last time is 10 where you just start with your hands at your sides and bring the weights up and away from yo boh-day

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-29-2010, 05:11 PM
troutbum i was just kidding btw
sore calves (no tats) and all kinds of sore neck muscles i didnt know i had , kept me out of the bjj class this morning and it looks like im gonna miss the boxing class tonight. it kills me to miss a day but i can barely walk and boxing class is usually "leg heavy".

Ignignokt
12-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Lol Gyms in San Antonio.. The probably have Barbacoa and Lard flavored Whey protein shake smoothies there.

Ignignokt
12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Is the protein in bean burritos and taco meat sufficient enough for a post workout meal? I wanna rebuild bigger muscles while also getting rid of my gut and extra chins, tbh.

Beaners don't go to gyms in san antonio unless it's to meet Brhornet who's on the downlow.

The TroutBum
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
troutbum i was just kidding btw
sore calves (no tats) and all kinds of sore neck muscles i didnt know i had , kept me out of the bjj class this morning and it looks like im gonna miss the boxing class tonight. it kills me to miss a day but i can barely walk and boxing class is usually "leg heavy".

:rollin

I remember all of this... like a lucid nightmare.

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
because of the xmas weekend and new yrs weekend, tonights gonna be my first time to the muay thai class. pretty excited....

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
tonight was the shit. i was a little unsure of what i had gotten myself into at first, but it was my fav class to date. Rudy runs a badass class. anyway, we rolled for the last ten minutes or so and i locked in a komora!! of course seconds after i got it , the class ended so i didnt get a tap, but i was still pretty stoked. it just felt right....

Soul_Patch
01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Been sick all week. I keep thinking im going to shake this, but im coughing my brains out and i feel like my entire head is full of snot.

Basically why i am up at 430am...this is fucking miserable. Hopefully im back next week.

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-07-2011, 09:07 PM
we sparred tonight in boxing. was my first time and i think i did ok. we'll see how my face feels in the morning though. good times

hope you get to feelin better SP. seems like its going around. i suppose its only a matter of time before its my turn

The TroutBum
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
tonight was the shit. i was a little unsure of what i had gotten myself into at first, but it was my fav class to date. Rudy runs a badass class. anyway, we rolled for the last ten minutes or so and i locked in a komora!! of course seconds after i got it , the class ended so i didnt get a tap, but i was still pretty stoked. it just felt right....

Hell yes on the arm lock, nice work! I remember my first sub in practice -- also a Kimora. Keep posting this stuff man, it's getting me all riled up to start going back to the gym. (which I probably won't, because I'm poor and fat)

8FOR!3
01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I haven't trained in ten days, sprained my ankle last class in Muay Thai on New Year's Day. The good news is I was still able to roll a little bit that night and I was able to tap a kid with a calve cutter with my sprained ankle and all lol! I train Jiu-Jitsu under a Relson Gracie affiliate here in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Legion MMA

Soul_Patch
01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
So after a bout with allergies that turned into bronchitis, i was back at it yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks.

Made it through half the class, when we started pummeling and trying body lock techniques. We were to body lock, then the locked person would try and drive the person to the cage to use the cage and peel the person off. As i did this, i planted and got the individual off balance. As i pushed, my knee popped inside, and i lost all power and collapsed.

Not sure what is up, it is fairly sore today. I cant extend it fully without a lot of pain. And i have only very small lateral movement.

Always something..........

Soul_Patch
01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
So I have no ACL in my right knee (where did it go??) that lead to my knee being weak and when i pushed off, tore my meniscus.

Im scheduled for surgery in about a month. Recovery for about 6 months.

looks like my MMA career isnt gonna get off the ground........

The TroutBum
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
So I have no ACL in my right knee (where did it go??) that lead to my knee being weak and when i pushed off, tore my meniscus.

Im scheduled for surgery in about a month. Recovery for about 6 months.

looks like my MMA career isnt gonna get off the ground........

Man, that fucking sucks. Good luck on the recovery.