PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki: '...For some reason, the Spurs just always win'

duncan228
12-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Keeping pace with Spurs, Mavs hit road (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4672590/4672590)
By Jeff Caplan
ESPN Dallas

...With a record of 21-5 (13-4 at home), which included a 12-game win streak, much has gone right. Yet, the Mavs have yet to spend a day alone in first place in the Southwest Division, and after going 14-1 over their last 15 games, they’ve barely scratched a couple of games off the San Antonio Spurs’ lead.

“Not even that,” said Dirk Nowitzki, noting the Mavs have moved from three games back to two entering Monday's games. “They’re playing well. They’ve been fortunate on a couple games. Obviously, we’ve been following them and they snuck out in overtime again (Saturday night against Memphis). It almost seems like they’ve changed their philosophy around a little bit. They’re playing a lot more offense and they’re giving up more points.

“But, for some reason, the Spurs just always win. It doesn’t matter. They used to win 75-74 and now they win 110-109.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4672590/4672590

Kamnik
12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Hehe, got to love Dirk! :D

Tp9gospursgo
12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
That shows that hes got a lot of respect from the Spurs, no matter how much i hate dirk when we play against him i respect him a lot.

boutons_deux
12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Dirk speaks his truth, not some fake ghetto macho tatooed balla bullshit.

Definitely a HoFer, if I were voting.

I'm looking forward to kicking his ass at least 3 more games this season. :lol

MavDynasty
12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
So fuckin classy :cry

lefty
12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Dirk is one of the nicest guys around

Although he is overrated (here we go), he still deserves a ring

polandprzem
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
i've changed my mind - Dirk is better then Manu

DesignatedT
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
now were going to lose tonight.

Crickets
12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Well Dirk that is going to change this week, you can now have the lead in the SW Division by this weekend!

JR21
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
much respect :toast

lefty
12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
:lol

The_Worlds_finest
12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
dirk is a badass. Its just to bad the owner of his team surrounds him with trash prima donnas like.

Erik Dampier
Devin Harris,
Jason Terry,
Jason Kidd
Caron Butler
JJ Bera
shwan marion

etc etc etc

crc21209
12-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Gotta admit that Dirk is a good player, he just annoys the hell out of me with the stupid faces he makes when he makes a big time shot...:lol

WildcardManu
12-20-2010, 03:17 PM
He should just send him down south 35 and let him win a ring this year with Timmy. Then he can go back.

Mr.Robinson
12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Fuck the Mavs and fuck Dirk.
Bunch of pussies around here. Oh, Dirk said something nice about my Spurs. Now I love him. Fuck you guys too. I respect his game. Fuck him, though.

BlackSwordsMan
12-20-2010, 03:34 PM
He shoulda signed here if he likes the spurs so much

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Fuck the Mavs and fuck Dirk.
Bunch of pussies around here. Oh, Dirk said something nice about my Spurs. Now I love him. Fuck you guys too. I respect his game. Fuck him, though.

This.

Bukefal
12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Dirk is one of the nicest guys around

+1

It's not because he said this, but he is just a very good guy and always has been, maybe a bit too nice.

bigbendbruisebrother
12-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Ring count please.

duncan228
12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Another take on it.

It's role reversal for the Mavs and Spurs (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mavs/2010/12/its-role-reversal-for-the-mavs-and-spurs.html)
Dwain Price

DALLAS _From the department of unbelievability, the Dallas Mavericks have suddenly turned into the San Antonio Spurs, while the Spurs have turned into the Mavs.

Say what?

For years, a weekly check of the NBA stats would always find the offensive-minded Mavs near the top of the league in scoring, while the defensive-minded Spurs would always be near the top in fewest points allowed. Now, those roles have been reversed.

Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said: "Now we're winning (games) 84-83.''

The Spurs used to be the masters of the halfcourt game, but now they're fourth in the NBA in scoring at a NASCAR-like 106.3 points per game. Owners of the best record in the league at 23-3, the fastbreaking Spurs have scored 100 or more points a Mavericks-like 18 times this year.

By contrast, the Mavs are just 16th in the NBA in scoring with a Spurs-like 99.2 points per game, and have scored 100 points just 14 times in their 26 games.

"It almost seems like (the Spurs) changed their philosophy around a little bit,'' Nowitzki said. "They’re playing a lot more offense, they’re scoring more, they’re giving up more points, but for some reason the Spurs always win.''

The big switch for the Mavs (21-5) and Spurs is also occurring on defense. Believe it or not, the Mavs -- they used to be real soft -- are tied for fifth in the league in fewest points allowed with a Spurs-like 93.2 points per game.

Meanwhile, the Spurs are tied for 13th in points allowed with a Mavs-like 97.2 points per game.The Spurs have allowed eight teams to score at least 100 points against them this year, while that has happened to the Mavs only four times.

Who would have thought the day would come when this conversation would be taking place? This must be the NBA's version of El Nino.

"They used to win 75-74 and now they win 110-109,'' Nowitzki said. "But they, for some reason, always win.

"So it’s a credit to the group of guys they've got, and obviously they've got one of the best coaches in the league (in Gregg Popovich).''

By the way, the Spurs' newfound high-powered offense has kept the Mavs at bay. Since Nov. 19, the Mavs have compiled an impressive 14-1 record.

But they've been able to gain just one game on the Spurs, who are 13-2 since that time.

"Obviously we've been following them,'' Nowitzki said. "You've got to give them credit. They find ways to win.''

Even with their new offense. And new defense.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mavs/2010/12/its-role-reversal-for-the-mavs-and-spurs.html

it's me
12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Dork would kill to get one of the Spurs rings..... wrong team he's at.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Dirk telling it like it is. I still hate him, though.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Gotta admit that Dirk is a good player, he just annoys the hell out of me with the stupid faces he makes when he makes a big time shot...:lol

Heh, in Dirk's defense, if I had those kind of offensive skills, I'm sure I'd make a face or two at the guy trying hopelessly to defend me.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Meanwhile, the Spurs are tied for 13th in points allowed with a Mavs-like 97.2 points per game.The Spurs have allowed eight teams to score at least 100 points against them this year, while that has happened to the Mavs only four times.

If we turned our pace down to match, we'd be giving up ~90 points per game. We score more, and faster, so the other team gets more shot opportunities. We're still playing good D for the most part, we just have to gel a little more with our younger guys and get better on rotating to 3s. If we can start shutting the 3 ball down, it would increase our defensive rating appreciably.

Teams are currently averaging 6.1 3 makes per game against us, and we are now dead last in the NBA in giving up treys.

However, a huge part of this IMO is that teams are getting up to play us and they're on their best game. Their shooters are full of adrenaline with the thought of knocking us off, so they play harder, and they get a bigger surge of momentum when they hit a 3.

If we can rotate a little better and cut down our opponents to just 4-5 treys made per game, it should increase our defense significantly.

The fact is, we're taking everyone's best punch right now, and since the 2nd game of the season, we're 22 and 2. That says a lot about this team's ability to handle it.

sandman
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
If we turned our pace down to match, we'd be giving up ~90 points per game. We score more, and faster, so the other team gets more shot opportunities. We're still playing good D for the most part, we just have to gel a little more with our younger guys and get better on rotating to 3s. If we can start shutting the 3 ball down, it would increase our defensive rating appreciably.

Teams are currently averaging 6.1 3 makes per game against us, and we are now dead last in the NBA in giving up treys.

However, a huge part of this IMO is that teams are getting up to play us and they're on their best game. Their shooters are full of adrenaline with the thought of knocking us off, so they play harder, and they get a bigger surge of momentum when they hit a 3.

If we can rotate a little better and cut down our opponents to just 4-5 treys made per game, it should increase our defense significantly.

The fact is, we're taking everyone's best punch right now, and since the 2nd game of the season, we're 22 and 2. That says a lot about this team's ability to handle it.

The points allowed is a bit misleading as well. In their first 9 games, they gave up 100 points 4 times and 99 to the Hornets.

In the last 17 games, including the last two high scoring close ones, they have only given up 100 points 5 times. In those same 17 games, they have given up between 95-99 points only three times. That is more than half of their games with opponents held below 95 points.

5 of the last 7 Mavs opponents have scored at least 97 points.

It may currently be the same statistical outcome at this juncture in the season, but in reality, the numbers state that the teams are moving in different directions.

UnWantedTheory
12-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Dirk telling it like it is. I still hate him, though.

GoSpurs99
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
That's hilarious to read, I hope he never wins a title, at least not in the West.

He is a better player than Manu, hands down, but Manu is having a far better career.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2010, 05:03 PM
The points allowed is a bit misleading as well. In their first 9 games, they gave up 100 points 4 times and 99 to the Hornets.

In the last 17 games, including the last two high scoring close ones, they have only given up 100 points 5 times. In those same 17 games, they have given up between 95-99 points only three times. That is more than half of their games with opponents held below 95 points.

5 of the last 7 Mavs opponents have scored at least 97 points.

It may currently be the same statistical outcome at this juncture in the season, but in reality, the numbers state that the teams are moving in different directions.

Pop tightening the screws on D, as usual.

Budkin
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Dirk usually kills us matchup wise.

kobyz
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
fuck him! Now he only cause me to miss those days of the 75-74 wins

lefty
12-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Dirk usually kills us matchup wise.
True true...

But I want to see more Dice on Dirk.

I think he did a decent job last season on Dirk in the latest playoffs - (and on Odom in the regular season)

However, I didnt watch the 1st meeting between Spurs-Mavs this season, so I can't tell if it was a fluke or not

greyforest
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Dirk is a fucking baller, he just has a douchey owner and team

Crickets
12-20-2010, 06:06 PM
and they (Mavs) are still the best team in Texas..
Eat it biatches!

Agloco
12-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Eat it biatches!

Chuck fail.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Dirk does seem pretty nice. He should get his ass off the Mavericks.

DMC
now were going to lose tonight.
That's been said before every game this year, and quite often in the 4th quarter.

DieHardSpursFan1537
Eat it biatches!
Howdy

DMC
12-20-2010, 06:26 PM
If you've listened to Dirk's post game interviews, he's very pragmatic and his basketball IQ is through the roof. He doesn't mince words and he says as much as possible with the fewest words, not easy for a second language guy. He needs to play in San Antonio. I can tell you that right now.

DMC
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Eat it biatches!

Koolaid meet drinker

temujin
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Dirk in Wonderland.

Nowitski is perfectly happy where he is: big salary, long term renewal (the guy gets old and needs to think about his pension), big numbers, points, goto guy and everything.
Most importantly, crucially, I would say, no responsability, nobody expects him to win anything, seriously.
Aside from the inevitable mantras of Dallas "competing" and being a "contender", the matter is far simpler: early exits in PO, long vacations.

Easy life.

He also gets to know a lot of players, teammates changing all the time, partying and happy to be payed to the tune of the second highest payroll in the NBA.
It's called (un)equal wealth redistribution.
This particular bunch ia actually aging well together, well >30 years old, they have common interests.
No disturbing youngsters.

They are also "winning", as usual. Whatever that means to them.

Everyone lives in the most perfect of the worlds in Dallas.

Why on earth would the Spurs disturb this wonderful atmosphere????

Cessation
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Dirk in Wonderland.

Nowitski is perfectly happy where he is: big salary, long term renewal (the guy gets old and needs to think about his pension), big numbers, points, goto guy and everything.
Most importantly, crucially, I would say, no responsability, nobody expects him to win anything, seriously.
Aside from the inevitable mantras of Dallas "competing" and being a "contender", the matter is far simpler: early exits in PO, long vacations.

Easy life.

He also gets to know a lot of players, teammates changing all the time, partying and happy to be payed to the tune of the second highest payroll in the NBA.
This particular bunch ia actually aging well together, well >30 years old, they have common interests.

lol great take! :toast

DMC
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Dirk in Wonderland.

Easy life.

Because it's in us to disturb.

pgardn
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
After the Miami finals Dirk and the Mavs have enough humble, or is that humiliation, to serve to us...?

Politely decline.

spurs10
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Dirk speaks his truth, not some fake ghetto macho tatooed balla bullshit.

Definitely a HoFer, if I were voting.

I'm looking forward to kicking his ass at least 3 more games this season. :lol
Ja vol!:flag:

TampaDude
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Dirk is a fucking baller, he just has a douchey owner and team

^ this

Rummpd
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice win by his Mavs over the Heat tonight - props to the other strong TX team this year.

oski1000
12-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Overrated and defenseless player!!!

bigfan
12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I got nothing personal against Dirk, he's a great player and a good guy. He's just on a team I hate with an owner that is a turd.

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Ring count please.

so if you have a ring it makes you better

so all the players on the lakers including their 15 player on the bench is better then dirk ok

DMC
12-20-2010, 11:45 PM
so if you have a ring it makes you better

No, only a low BB IQ fucktard would think that. Being better makes you have the ring...

so all the players on the lakers including their 15 player on the bench is better then dirk ok
More successful in a basketball sense, yes. Being good doesn't just mean you are a good player. It means you want to win, and if that means holding your contract over the heads of your owner and GM for better players, you do that. The league is full of really good players on really shitty teams, but only the greats do what they have to in order to get a championship. That doesn't mean all those on championship teams are great, but you definitely know who the great ones are.

Put it this way, Luke Walton will never cause the Lakers to make under the table trades, and if he threatens to quit, no one will care. Still, he's got rings.

I think you know this already.

ceperez
12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Spurs as of late have been blowing away teams in the 3rd quarter.

A good sign. Not like previous seasons where you expect a shooting drought in the 3rd quarter.

Sausage
12-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Ub14_iNzt9w

MAxEric
12-21-2010, 02:52 AM
i still hate him,JT,J Kidd,Shawn Marion,T.Chandler,C.Bulter and J.J Barea though!

Hope we can take revenge on them at the end of December!!

TE
12-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Mavs were exposed in the playoffs by the Spurs.

No need to worry.

G-Dawgg
12-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Not worrying at all, the Mavs are still the only NBA team in Texas that still hasn't produced a championship ring, all the added pressure to stack-up to the rest of the Texas triangle's tradition is on their shoulders..not ours.