PDA

View Full Version : Dirk to pass Larry Legend tomorrow in Orlando

Texas Chili Dog
12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Dirk needs 11 points to jump Bird on the all-time scoring list. I am in no means comparing the two, as I would take a prime Bird over a prime Dirk 8 days out of the week. But it's a cool milestone.

Ghazi
12-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Dirk staaaaaaaaaaaaacked

rayjayjohnson
12-20-2010, 10:21 PM
All Dirk Noringski jokes aside, good on the big German.

Baller tbh

hater
12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
8-21 for a scary 38%

Larry would not have choked this bad tonight

u4lakers14
12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
if he played all those years like hes played this year it makes you wonder if he might have jewelry

Ghazi
12-20-2010, 10:24 PM
:lol @ hater's ass pains

u mad bro?

rayjayjohnson
12-20-2010, 10:24 PM
if he played all those years like hes played this year it makes you wonder if he might have jewelry

How many MVP awards did Erik get? 1 or 2? Can't remember

hater
12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
:lol @ hater's ass pains

u mad bro?

nah man. I was rooting for the mavs and Dirk gone piss me off :bang

admiralsnackbar
12-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Dirk needs 11 points to jump Bird on the all-time scoring list. I am in no means comparing the two, as I would take a prime Bird over a prime Dirk 8 days out of the week. But it's a cool milestone.

Agreed on both counts. Must be surreal to bury a legend (particularly one you've been compared to forever, whether correctly or otherwise) like Bird's numbers when you yourself appear to have so much left in the tank. Anyway, good on him.

Nahtanoj
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Top 10 Shooting Guard All-Time.

Zelophehad
12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Dirk Nowitzki is not as good as Larry Bird. Not even close tbh.

Bird's also better than Kobe though, so laker fan can calm down.

TE
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Dirk Nowitzki is not as good as Larry Bird. Not even close tbh.

Bird's also better than Kobe though, so laker fan can calm down.

I actually agree.

Bird is better than Kobe.

Hooks
12-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Top 10 Shooting Guard All-Time.

This.

scottspurs
12-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Congrats to Dirk

crc21209
12-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Larry has bling, Dirk does not. So until then....Bird>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dirk.

Texas Chili Dog
12-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Larry has bling, Dirk does not. So until then....Bird>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dirk.

Again, I wasn't comparing the two. I'm trying to keep the Dirk vs Bird who's better "debate" out of the thread. It was just about Dirk passing him on the scoring list, that's all. :toast

dude1394
12-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Basketball is not a one man game...

admiralsnackbar
12-21-2010, 12:34 AM
For the sake of perspective, it's worth mentioning that Dirk didn't log a triple double until 2008, after 10 yrs in the league. Bird is 5th all-time with 56, behind Wilt, Kidd, Magic, and Oscar Robertson, in that order.

And yeah, I guess there is the issue of the rings.

Greg Oden
12-21-2010, 12:39 AM
:lmao there's some mad people over this for some odd reason.

poop
12-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Agreed on both counts. Must be surreal to bury a legend (particularly one you've been compared to forever, whether correctly or otherwise) like Bird's numbers when you yourself appear to have so much left in the tank. Anyway, good on him.

people forget Bird had a relatively short run, like maybe 10 or so big seasons and retired after only 13.

Dirt is already in his 13th of which 11 were big scoring and due to the nature of his game probably has a good 3 solid scoring years left.

phyzik
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I'd take Dirk over Larry.

As much as I hate the Maverdicks owner, and a few players like the failplane douchebag Terry, Dirk is a class act and a hell of a player. I'd actually have to ponder it for quite some time if there was an opportunity to trade Duncan for Dirk straight up at this point. Dirk is a great scorer but Tim still whoops that ass in the all around game.

ezau
12-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Bird is heads and shoulders a better competitor than Dirk. However, you also have to remember that Bird played with McHale and Parish.

Greg Oden
12-21-2010, 01:11 AM

As much as I hate the Maverdicks owner, and a few players like the failplane douchebag Terry, Dirk is a class act and a hell of a player. I'd actually have to ponder it for quite some time if there was an opportunity to trade Duncan for Dirk straight up at this point. Dirk is a great scorer but Tim still whoops that ass in the all around game.

i doubt mavfans want your backhanded compliments or your overload of calories, tbh.

Darthkiller
12-21-2010, 01:19 AM
lmao comparing dirk to someone who averaged a tripple double in the finals

Greg Oden
12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
lol pistonfan

Roddy Beaubois
12-21-2010, 04:32 AM
lol spurs fans

BUMP
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

SpurFan is permanently scarred by the beatings they've taken from MavFan over the years, that even Texas Chili Dog, who is probably the least confrontational, and obnoxious MavFan, still delivers a page full of asshurt even when he specifically said that he thought Bird>Dirk.

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Bird>Larry

But those that act like Dirk cant even been mentioned in the same breath, underrate dirk.

Look im a big fan of what Magic and Bird both did for the league ...Magic is my all time favorite player of ANY sport ...but just because they saved the NBA ... when you are just speaking about basketball on the court Dirk favors comparably with Bird.

Now as someone said earlier ... bird put up triple double type numbers inthe NBA finals ...(though scoring was higher then) ...

But because Bird has 3 rings and Dirk has none of course he is the greater player in my book. I ALWAYS use rings as the deciding factors when two SIMILAR players are being compared.

Reguar season? I'd give the Bird the edge still ...but it's closer than yall make it out to be.

Doug Whiner
12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I hate it when crap like this happens.

Venti Quattro
12-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Bird>Larry

lefty
12-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Bird is heads and shoulders a better competitor than Dirk. However, you also have to remember that Bird played with McHale and Parish.
And Bird was a much better passer, a better defensive player, and obviously a clutch player

The McHale-Parrish argument is BS; Bird was much much better than Dirk

history2b
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
When Dirk passes Larry I imagine this is when Cuban informs us all that he has officially passed Bird on the all time greats list at the same time.

lefty
12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
When Dirk passes Larry I imagine this is when Cuban informs us all that he has officially passed Bird on the all time greats list at the same time.
lol

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Congrats Dirty, a HELL of an accomplishment :toast
Continue to cement your legacy as one of the best to ever play the game

mavs>spurs
12-21-2010, 03:09 PM
bird plays D, bird wins rings... enough differences than irk noringski

lefty
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Nowitzki is a white Larry Bird

history2b
12-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Lol, outside of shooting ability, the 2 players have absolutely nothing in common.

Bird was light years ahead as a rebounder, passer, basketball IQ, toughness, hustle... everything. Every single facet of the game he is superior to Dirk. If people want to debate who is the better shooter, cool, knock yourself out.

But the 2 shouldn't be compared simply because they are 2 great shooting white forwards.

JayTheClown
12-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Congrats to Dirk :toast
And for those arguing who was a better all-around player. You you guys are idiots. Straight up idiots. Everyone on this board is aware Bird was a better all-around player, and if you feel you have to remind us of that it probably means your an idiot. We are all aware that Bird has more rings than Dirk. Bird played with 3 other hall of famers in Robert Parish, Kevin Mchale, and Dennis Johnson. Yes, when your a team with 4 hall of fame caliber players on it your naturally going to be one of the greatest teams in the history of the NBA. Dirk is passing Bird in scoring. It doesn't mean Dirk is better than Bird. It just means Dirk is a great player passing another great player on the scoring list. :toast

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Back to the OP again like I said last week you have Dirk, Kobe and duncan making some serious head-way on the all-time scoring list. All of these guys deserve props.

Kobe is NOT better than MJ
Dirk is NOT greater than bird
Duncan may not be better than Bird either

But by passing these legends they are in the conversation ... and considering the guys they are being compared to ...it tells you how lucky we are to be fans of the NBA right now ...Also KG, Ray Allen and Shaq are all in the top 30 all-time in scoring ...pretty impressive.

Tp9gospursgo
12-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Kobe shits on Bird any day of the week.

lol

Texas Chili Dog
12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
With a three pointer early in the 4th Q, Dirk has now moved ahead of Bird.

ElNono
12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Congrats Diggler

Texas Chili Dog
12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Next up: Gary Payton. 20 points away from that.

Pero
12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
But but but Manu is better than Dirk. :depressed

duncan228
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Hit the link for the video.

Larry Bird congratulates Dirk Nowitzki for passing him on all-time scoring list (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/22/larry-bird-congratulates-dirk-nowitzki-for-passing-him-on-all-time-scoring-list/)
Kurt Helin

When Dirk Nowitzki entered the league as a skinny German kid he became a bit of a sensation for the reasons he is a legend now — the guy can flat out shoot the rock and is 7-feet tall.

But if you said he’d end up scoring more points than the Larry Bird you would have been laughed out of the room. Except in Boston where you would have been dragged out into the alley.

But it happened. Monday night in Orlando Nowitzki knocked down a spot-up three in transition that gave him 21,792 career points, passing Larry the Legend for 25th on the NBA’s all time scoring list.

Tuesday Nowitzki felt his phone vibrate while on the team bus, according to the Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/12221dnspomavericksbird.3ada5889.html). It was a text from Bird congratulating him.

“It’s obviously an unbelievable accomplishment to be in the top 25 scorers in this amazing league with so many amazing players,” Nowitzki said. “But it’s going to mean more to me when my career’s done. When I’m 15 or 20 years from now, I can look back and it’s something I’ll be proud of. But as of now, I’m still chasing the dream and trying to win a championship. But it’ll be a sweet one in 20 years.”

Right now, Nowitzki may be higher on the Maverick’s sweep through Florida. But this is still something to be celebrated.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/22/larry-bird-congratulates-dirk-nowitzki-for-passing-him-on-all-time-scoring-list/

Shank
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Who says one player is better than another by passing them on the scoring list? Dipshits.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 05:22 PM

I got pulled over almost 2 years ago for reckless driving.... It was just after I got my G8 GT. I was leaving "wendy's" off of Fredricksburg across from Crossroads mall.... I got stopped at Fredricksburg and 410. I will admit, I was having "fun" with my vehicle.

Let me not get ahead of things though.....

Game 3, Spurs vs Mavs, 2009 finals.

I went to a friend of a friends house. Turns out this guy was a dealer. I dont give a fuck, I feel safe enough with my friend and they aint giving me shit about refusing stuff... So we are there partying and we are almost out of beer.....

Now, I was proud about my car when I bought it, probably too proud.... My car was in the back of everyone else, and Im pretty drunk at this point, so I say "Take my car, just be carefull and you will fucking take over payments if you fuck it up!"

Everyone laughs.

So I give the guy my wallet, which containts my license and insurance if he gets pulled over. Nothing happens. He comes back with the beer and everything is cool....

Fast Forward 3 weeks.

So, I got pulled over after leaving "Wendys" and think nothing of it.... Cop asks for my insurance which is in my wallet.... No problem.... They ask to search my vehicle... no problem I say... What do they find? a baggy less than 1 gram on my floor board.

Fast forward almost 1 1/2 years later, I go to court tomorrow for something that wasnt mine.... Had to shell out $4000 for an attourney because I make "too much money" for a court appointed.

The guys house that I was at? It got raided almost 8 months ago.

Now, dont get me wrong, I have done some shit... used to smoke daily during the summer when I was in school, Used to do Acid and yes, I used to do coke... I NEVER got into that shit... That was back in highschool, 12 years ago, and have never done it since....

Tomorrow, I face a charge that so far has cost me $4000 for my attourney and we will see how bad I get screwed for something that wasnt even mine.

Ace
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Seriously, I thought this guy was good at trolling but now he's just another ignorant fuck who posts images of dinosaurs and long pointless and endless threads that contain nothing but gibberish. If you're reading this BUMP and I know you are, you should really start to step your game up you sorry bastard.

Phillip
12-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Bird>Larry

But those that act like Dirk cant even been mentioned in the same breath, underrate dirk.

Look im a big fan of what Magic and Bird both did for the league ...Magic is my all time favorite player of ANY sport ...but just because they saved the NBA ... when you are just speaking about basketball on the court Dirk favors comparably with Bird.

Now as someone said earlier ... bird put up triple double type numbers inthe NBA finals ...(though scoring was higher then) ...

But because Bird has 3 rings and Dirk has none of course he is the greater player in my book. I ALWAYS use rings as the deciding factors when two SIMILAR players are being compared.

Reguar season? I'd give the Bird the edge still ...but it's closer than yall make it out to be.

+1

i was about to pretty much post the exact same thing. the fact that there were quite a few more posessions every game in the 80s, padded a lot of players stats in comparison to players stats today