PDA

View Full Version : Assessing Blair

DMC
12-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Is Blair a turnover machine? I love how he takes the ball away from bigger defenders, and he just seems to create possessions out of nothing, but Blair giveth and Blair taketh away... he seems to turn the ball over a lot, especially tonight against the Suns.

I suppose he's not in a good position 8' from the rim when he catches the ball, because it forces him to put the ball on the floor and that leads to a turnover quite often.

I think he's still trying to find his game. I don't know if he will, but he brings things to the team that seem valuable enough to keep him in the game. I cannot imagine sitting him for a few games would improve his psyche or confidence.

I don't know though, it's hard to say. Last year he seemed to be quicker and in the right spot all the time, but maybe we didn't have the same expectations then. Maybe because he was a "steal" out of the draft, we were so enthusiastic about this kid's aggressive play that we just assumed he would level up this year. Maybe he has in some ways, and maybe his role is still undefined, I just hope he does well for the rest of the season and doesn't get injured. He seems to be frustrated at times, almost like he's embarrassed to be out there after a turnover.

At one point tonight I thought it looked like someone had their retarded kid out there and the team was just trying to get him involved. Maybe there's method to it, there must be, right?

Bender
12-20-2010, 11:33 PM
out of control a couple of times.... and a couple of bonehead plays... but some great stuff too. That 1st qtr bounce pass to duncan right thru the middle of everyone was pretty great.

DMC
12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
He's got some great passes. There was a full court save from out of bounds that I thought was going to go through the wall on the other end of the court. That guy is a powerhouse and the Spurs will find ways to use that passing strength. He's got good court vision.

I don't know what's missing. Maybe he's just not tall enough to play center and be effective on offense.

EricD
12-20-2010, 11:38 PM
No one cares about your basketball takes.

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:40 PM
this is the first year he is playing against starters

ElNono
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Gentry tried to close down on everybody else and make Dejuan the scorer and I thought he was successful at times doing that. Something to keep in mind. That's what good teams do, try to make you beat them with your weakest link.

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:43 PM
that would be ime not blair

TE
12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Blair needs to use his body. Period.

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:47 PM
he does

on his girlfriend

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:47 PM
he does

on his girlfriend

DMC
12-20-2010, 11:49 PM

You obviously do, you opened the thread.

:lmao

Butt hurt much?

DMC
12-20-2010, 11:50 PM
this is the first year he is playing against starters

Not a bad point actually...

Fabbs
12-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Is Blair a turnover machine? I love how he takes the ball away from bigger defenders, and he just seems to create possessions out of nothing, but Blair giveth and Blair taketh away... he seems to turn the ball over a lot, especially tonight against the Suns.
Short answer is yes, Blair turns the ball over too much. Turnover machine? Not even. But Blair is 52nd among 227 qualified NBA players for turns per 48.
Not good, in the bottom 25% and he is not a point guard who handles constantly.
So he needs to improve.

You already answered in part. Blair giveth:
Steals? Flippin 7th in the NBA per 48.
Boards per minute? Grizzly continues to swat salmon at or near a top 10 pace.
Energy? This is something that can't be measured by exact stats. In addition to the whole team benefitting from Blairs energy, you can see Timmy Duncans revitalization knowing another pair of nutts are in the paint.
So these +'s far outweigh his turns but yes, Grizz needs to cut down.

Hopefully they are reviewing film to see if a pattern of his turns is evident.
Good thread, lets see if anyone else sees a pattern.

ducks
12-20-2010, 11:57 PM
duncan had turnover problem in year 2

barbacoataco
12-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Blair is the the same age as James Anderson - 21. He is improving this season and I though he had some great moments tonight.

arakkus
12-21-2010, 02:03 AM
I can't help dwelling on the bad plays more probably because I want Tiago going through the growing pains instead of Blair. If he rebounded like Rodman then maybe I could bare it but this is really one of the few times this year that he has come through.

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2010, 02:11 AM
blair needs to know his role jabroni

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 02:16 AM
He needs to learn patience as well.

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Not a bad point actually...
Dont agree with him. It becomes bigger & stronger that way....

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2010, 02:31 AM
blairs potential is looming....malik rose

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Malik had a solid 13-17 footer and quicker moves.

u forgot the double pump holding the ball under the rim longer then he had to = TURNOVER MACHINE

something blair is starting become a turnover machine

The Truth #6
12-21-2010, 03:22 AM
He tries to outquick other players when he should just use his girth to knock people off balance. As a result he gets his shot blocked a lot. Not sure if that's a stat that is kept, but he would probably be top ten.

Spurs Brazil
12-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Blair sometimes make some really stupid decisions, but we need to remember he's very young. I think he'll learn and get better with time

benefactor
12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
I lol'ed.

SpursFanInAustin
12-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Malik had a solid 13-17 footer and quicker moves.

Malik didn't start developing that jumper until like his 4th or 5th year in the NBA, like around 2001. In 1999, Malik's range was only under the basket. Give Blair a couple of seasons, and he too may very well develop a reliable 13-17 footer. Just hope he doesn't fall in love with it like Malik did in 2003-04 which led to his benching and eventual exile from San Antonio.

igruex
12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
His flaws are workable, he makes a couple of bonehead plays per game, it's his 2nd year. On the other hand, you cannot teach to "want it". That's why I think Pop keeps him in the starting lineup.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Blair is very, very raw but I smile every time I see him making a strong move to the basket or do his work down low for rebounds. He is very young, he has serious elevations issues due to his well documented knee issues, he is seriously undersized for his position (and I tend to feel, after seeing him recently, that he has let some of his much vaunted pre-season conditioning go a bit as the season has progressed) but he has the 'it' factor that you cannot teach.

Give it a few years, Blair is the kind of guy that will need to play to figure out how to compensate for his body/position in the NBA. But you can see that this kid will be a special player one day, he has a high bball IQ, he is nothing but effort, he has the PERFECT coaching staff to craft his game, and he has the luxury of playing next to Tim Duncan and picking up some of the old dog's tricks down low. I think you will find that Blair will develop into a Kevin Love type player who bring a real physical element to the game and real defensive tenacity to the team in his prime, he just has to figure out how to get there. You can see, however, that he is hungry and has confidence--these two things are key to making a star in the NBA.

I was thinking to myself last night that he is a Shaq clone in Sir Charles's body--interesting combo, but this kid did not get to where he is today at his height and with his knees (which I don't think will be much of a problem really, his lower body is sooooo strong that I think the only thing that will happen is that he will never have the lift he could have had with ACLs) without knowing how to play.

boutons_deux
12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
"elevations issues due to his well documented knee issues"

issues, issues everywhere, but nary a problem anywhere.

So you can diagnose via TV a player's "elevation" limitations like Frist can diagnose via TV a brain-dead girl?

DJB is carrying a lot of dead weight, aka fat, which is great for holding a block out position, or for a football interior lineman, but counter-productive for jumping.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-21-2010, 10:38 AM
"elevations issues due to his well documented knee issues"

issues, issues everywhere, but nary a problem anywhere.

So you can diagnose via TV a player's "elevation" limitations like Frist can diagnose via TV a brain-dead girl?

DJB is carrying a lot of dead weight, aka fat, which is great for holding a block out position, or for a football interior lineman, but counter-productive for jumping.

Ok Beutons, you're right I should just agree with everyone else in this thread and declare him to be a waste of space.

You need to get laid man, I have never read a single positive thing from you

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, a couple measly turnovers, but he's been looking pretty good inside the paint and rebounding this year. I wouldn't worry about it....

DMC
12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
There were only a couple of "measely turnovers" because he gets yanked early on. I would like to see him become more poised in the heat of the moment. I know it's a hard comparison, probably not even close to fair, but even in those all out slugfests when the Spurs are on a tear, Manu seems to make brilliant decisions while many others seem to just want to go faster and faster, like they are going to win the game before the 4th quarter even starts.

Take last night for example. I think the Spurs could have been up by 30 when they went on that 3rd quarter tear had they not gotten sloppy after being up by 19. Some of that is on Pop for calling a timeout just because Nash made a hook shot. Pop has great timing, but that one, I think, killed the Spurs' momentum (if there is such a thing, there seems to be). However, that one point when Blair turned the ball over on a carry, after hitting the floor.. that was more like streetball than anything in the NBA. Why does it get that way? It seems that the energy level overcomes the decision making process and everyone wants to do it themselves. Blair had that ball, he should have pulled it back and allowed a play to develop. Forcing things can lead to points, but it can lead to turnovers as well. You don't have to force things on the Suns.

Ok, I know the Spurs won that game just fine, and I know the Suns can put 40 on you in the blink of an eye, but someone here said earlier in a different thread that the Spurs play down to their opponent. I think that parts of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th the Spurs were doing just that, trying to out 7 second offense the Suns.

I didn't like that fast break by Blair either, when he missed an easy layup because he was watching his back. Again, those are correctable things. Based on how he corrected his FT shot, something many HOFers haven't been able to do, I think he will overcome it.

I don't want to see Blair on the trade block.

Agloco
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Short answer is yes, Blair turns the ball over too much. Turnover machine? Not even. But Blair is 52nd among 227 qualified NBA players for turns per 48.
Not good, in the bottom 25% and he is not a point guard who handles constantly.
So he needs to improve.

You already answered in part. Blair giveth:
Steals? Flippin 7th in the NBA per 48.
Boards per minute? Grizzly continues to swat salmon at or near a top 10 pace.
Energy? This is something that can't be measured by exact stats. In addition to the whole team benefitting from Blairs energy, you can see Timmy Duncans revitalization knowing another pair of nutts are in the paint.
So these +'s far outweigh his turns but yes, Grizz needs to cut down.

Hopefully they are reviewing film to see if a pattern of his turns is evident.
Good thread, lets see if anyone else sees a pattern.

Wow Flabbs......

Has someone hijacked your account? That's actually a cogent post without a lot of the melodrama that you usually bring to the table.

Is this an early Christmas gift to SpursTalk? :toast

tp2021
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
My only problem is when he tries to finesse an up-and-under finger roll around the basket instead of dunking it. Seriously, that move is great to sneak a shot past the defense, but its like his go-to move around the basket now. Play like a bigman DeJuan and throw it down around the basket! Own the area around the rim on offense and defense!

duncan228
12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Blair’s vision, awareness make up for lack of scoring (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/21/blairs-vision-awareness-make-up-for-lack-of-scoring/)
Jeff McDonald

...Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has been pleased Blair has found other ways to contribute, even as he has struggled with scoring.

“While he’s learning how to shoot the ball and score the ball, it’s great he can catch and pass the way he does,” Popovich said, “because he can do some other things besides shoot to help us score.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/21/blairs-vision-awareness-make-up-for-lack-of-scoring/

cherylsteele
12-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Malik had a solid 13-17 footer and quicker moves.Yes, but that wasn't until several years in the league.

Blair has improved vastly in one aspect of his game....that is FT%, it is like 20points higher or something compared to last year.

UnWantedTheory
12-22-2010, 04:36 AM
He will be fine. Give him time to develop an outside game & patience.

DMC
01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I am wondering why no one has mentioned Blair's 1-7 contribution against the Celtics. He took some crazy fucking shots, bricks all of them. Who told this guy he could shoot outside shots?

Blair cannot play against big front courts. That's known by most people here except the homers and even they are starting to realize it.

Just wondering why Hill gets all the shit when Blair laid an egg pretty much. He had a couple hustle plays, but only after coughing up the ball.

greyforest
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I am wondering why no one has mentioned Blair's 1-7 contribution against the Celtics. He took some crazy fucking shots, bricks all of them. Who told this guy he could shoot outside shots?

Blair cannot play against big front courts. That's known by most people here except the homers and even they are starting to realize it.

Blair beasted all over Lakers a week ago and Boston last season. The problem with Blair is inconsistency.

DMC
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Blair is an opportunist. He doesn't necessarily create opportunities (hear me out) as much as he finds them. He needs to create opportunities (not just rebounds) by moving without the ball instead of just posting 8' outside the paint and readying for the pass.

He needs to save his offensive attempts for fast breaks and those sudden bursts to the rim.

He one hands rebounds better than anyone I've seen in a long time, and I saw RJ try that a few times last night and Pop ripped his ass. So Blair has a ton of talent, if he had 5 more inches he would be a beast, but then so would I :)

UnWantedTheory
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Blair beasted all over Lakers a week ago and Boston last season. The problem with Blair is inconsistency.

angelbelow
01-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Just wondering why Hill gets all the shit when Blair laid an egg pretty much. He had a couple hustle plays, but only after coughing up the ball.

Blair played 11 minutes while Hill played 33. Therefore, its not hard to imagine why Hill was criticized more.

DMC
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Well, to go 1-7 in 11 minutes (some of those maybe tips) means he was yanked early for a reason.

Is it time for Pop to go with an alternate lineup? Blair against smaller front courts and maybe Dice with either Duncan or Splitter for the bigger ones? No one is bigger than Shaq, but Blair was shooting right into the guy and Shaq didn't even have to jump to block his shot. At least Dice knows better and Splitter is good at drawing charges, something Blair hasn't mastered.

There is a reason Blair is inconsistent. It's not lack of effort. He's doing the same things every game. Sometimes those opportunities aren't presented for him, which is why I think he needs to be put into a position where he can flourish, like against the second squad or against weaker front courts.

We should use Blair's rebounding skills to get us more open looks, but we need to know when those skills will work in the paint. He cannot beast on big front courts with great rebounding centers. In those situations, we need to have someone in who can at least contest the putback or draw a charge.

Tiago though.. that ugly ass FT..... he needs to work on that.

Trill Clinton
01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Naw, Ginobili is the turnover machine.

DMC
01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Ginobili does turn the ball over a lot, but he handles it a lot. Those guys who only touch it a few times and still turn it over, that's bad. Duncan seems to be one of the biggest culprits (nevermind the few touches part) but he's always had a weakness where he gets stripped in the paint after bring the ball down. He's compensated by being a fucking domination abomination everywhere else. His D is still pretty damn good.

Trill Clinton
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Ginobili does turn the ball over a lot, but he handles it a lot. Those guys who only touch it a few times and still turn it over, that's bad. Duncan seems to be one of the biggest culprits (nevermind the few touches part) but he's always had a weakness where he gets stripped in the paint after bring the ball down. He's compensated by being a fucking domination abomination everywhere else. His D is still pretty damn good.

Yea well TD struggles getting rid of the ball when double teamed. That is probably the only flaw to his game. I think Blair will get better with time...he's still very much raw.

He reminds me of Glen Davis when he first came into the league. If Blair can develop a solid jumper I think that will help his TO problem( sorta)

DMC
01-06-2011, 11:07 PM
If Blair had Davis' jumper.. wow..

Capt Bringdown
01-06-2011, 11:21 PM
I think it's less a matter of Blair's inconsistency and developmental miscues, but rather that he is only useful in certain situations. In other words, he's a role player. I don't ever see him becoming a special player, he's simply outclassed most of the time. He's a good second-unit role player-that's it.

If they gave out merit badges for desire, he'd likely be the Spurs leader. But desire and corporate knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to accomplishment. I'm sure Finley thought he belonged on the court at all times.

DMC
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I was pleased at Blair's outside shot tonight. He hit one from near the top of the key. I've never seen him hit that far out before. I didn't like that line drive shot or the flip up backwards on the offensive board earlier in the game. I would like to see him secure the board and if it's there, take it to the rim, not tap it back up or flip it up like the clock is expiring.

Overall, he did ok tonight against the Mavs, not great, but better.

Manufan909
01-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Dude, how is 18/13/4 (I know he also had 4 fouls and 3 TOs) not superb for a vastly undersized, sophomore center?

WalterBenitez
01-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Is he 21? come on, call me again when he were 23

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Blair played one of the best offensive games of the season yesterday. He made smart passes and his J was going but he keeps doing the same mistakes on D. Reaching a lot, trying to steal when he needs to back off and missing rotations.

Dice and Blair arrived together last season and in the beginning we could see them missing rotation after rotation. After the All Star game Dice got better and Blair keep missing rotations.

This season we rarely see Dice miss his assignment on D and Blair looks exactly like the 1st game of the rookie season, missing rotation after rotation, no improvement at all

DMC
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Dude, how is 18/13/4 (I know he also had 4 fouls and 3 TOs) not superb for a vastly undersized, sophomore center?

Partly because of the caveat you mentioned. 4 fouls and 3 turnovers.

I don't judge him based on his tenure in the league. He still had several boneheaded plays and he missed too many assignments on defense. He gets in too much of a hurry. This isn't college. However that outside shot looked pretty damn good. I hope he starts using it more, that will open up the middle for him and he will see more minutes that way.

Manufan909
01-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Partly because of the caveat you mentioned. 4 fouls and 3 turnovers.

I don't judge him based on his tenure in the league. He still had several boneheaded plays and he missed too many assignments on defense. He gets in too much of a hurry. This isn't college. However that outside shot looked pretty damn good. I hope he starts using it more, that will open up the middle for him and he will see more minutes that way.

Why not? Won't you have higher expectations once he's a 5 year vet, and this exact same game would be just ok, but this year it's great (I know you thought the negatives almost equaled the positives, so this analogy obviously wouldn't work for you even if you did factor in tenor)? I'm basing everything off of his stat line, CryHavoc, and a couple other posters, so that's how I formulated my got my opinion.

I hope the person saying Blair's rotations last night were exactly the same as his first game in the silver and black was using hyperbole, or just plain over critical. Before I found a job a month ago, he still watched people make layups over him way too often without any resistance, is that still going on?

Anyone know his js% (or the site I can use to find out)? He seems to be hitting them at a good clip, even if he's only taken a dozen.

DMC
01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Why not? Won't you have higher expectations once he's a 5 year vet, and this exact same game would be just ok, but this year it's great (I know you thought the negatives almost equaled the positives, so this analogy obviously wouldn't work for you even if you did factor in tenor)?
I think you mean "tenure", and to answer your question, no, I would not have more expectations of him. I would be pleased if he matured into a stronger player, but I don't expect it. I didn't expect Hill be be as good as he is, and I don't expect him to be more than a role player next year.

I'm basing everything off of his stat line, CryHavoc, and a couple other posters, so that's how I formulated my got my opinion.
That's fine. I watched him at both ends and stat lines rarely if ever tell the whole story (especially on defense).

I hope the person saying Blair's rotations last night were exactly the same as his first game in the silver and black was using hyperbole, or just plain over critical. Before I found a job a month ago, he still watched people make layups over him way too often without any resistance, is that still going on?
Somewhat. It's not that he's not providing resistance, but that he's not there to provide it. He's generally putting the guy at the line with an and-1 opportunity because he didn't stop the drive, just took a last second swipe at the ball.

Anyone know his js% (or the site I can use to find out)? He seems to be hitting them at a good clip, even if he's only taken a dozen.He doesn't really have a jump shot. He has a set shot that he's used sparingly, and at times he's just wildly flung the ball in the direction of the rim.

Once he gets confidence in his shot, he will be much better.

DMC
03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Is he 21? come on, call me again when he were 23

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg gg

sventhedog
03-28-2013, 08:09 AM
tough to measure a player's abilities if he doesn't get consistent minutes. so i'd stop trying.

DMC
06-02-2013, 02:04 AM
Blair is a shit sandwich that a lot of homer Spur fans are choking on. They all want him gone now, but when I started this thread, it was all roses and "we got a steal" type stuff.

One day you folks will learn to walk on your own and when you do, you'll thank me.

Ok probably not. Here's to 5.