PDA

View Full Version : PER ESPN crawler, Joe Johnson to start game 3

T Park
05-27-2005, 03:23 PM
like I said, per ESPN crawler on the bottom on ESPN2.

boutons
05-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Wgaf

3 Ring Timmy
05-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Joe who?http://www.originalimage.org/Gallery017/

spurschick
05-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I really don't think it's going to make a big difference. He has to get used to playing with the mask and it's still going to hurt anytime he gets bumped, which will be plenty. I think he will be mentally tentative.

MadDog73
05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
You jest, but JJ will help the Suns. He'll relieve Nash and help keep him fresh for the end.

Plus, he's better defensively than Amare and Nash. Luckily, he should have trouble adjusting, the Spurs have homecourt, and the basketball gods are with us.

ALVAREZ6
05-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Not worried at all.

spurschick
05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
You jest, but JJ will help the Suns. He'll relieve Nash and help keep him fresh for the end.

Plus, he's better defensively than Amare and Nash. Luckily, he should have trouble adjusting, the Spurs have homecourt, and the basketball gods are with us.

I do agree with you... I just think that he MAY be a little timid. That was a nasty injury and would cause anyone to be cautious on the floor. He will be able to give Nash a rest though. Hopefully, Beno can handle him.

bigzak25
05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
good, bring it on, no excuses. :smokin

Kori Ellis
05-27-2005, 03:51 PM
He'll fill in at backup point guard, he'll take the primary assignment of defending Parker away from Nash, and he'll hit some 3's -- IF he adjusts to the mask. Some players (i.e. LeBron) do so right away. We'll see.

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I guess that if Nash slides off of Parker, he'll get Bowen and Barry in spots. It makes you wish that Devin was healthy; Pop could really exploit Nash's defensive liabilities by sending Parker, Ginobili, Brown, Duncan, and Mohammed/Horry out -- who on Earth would Nash guard in that scenario?

I still think the idea of stopping Parker, while a step in the right direction, is the wrong move for D'Antoni to make. The Suns took away Parker in that second game and still lost because they couldn't deal with Manu and Timmy. And in that 3rd game, Parker went nuts for 3 quarters, even without Manu and Timmy.

MadDog73
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I do agree with you... I just think that he MAY be a little timid. That was a nasty injury and would cause anyone to be cautious on the floor. He will be able to give Nash a rest though. Hopefully, Beno can handle him.

eh, sorry Spurschick, I was actually responding to 3 ring Timmy's post (Joe who?), not yours. Should have quoted his!

I actually agree with you. He will not be the Manu Ginobili that Suns fans seem to expect.

Any points he makes will just be less for Amare and Nash - Suns aren't going to score much more than they have against the Spurs so far.

I'm more worried about his defensive presence, and Nash's extra energy.

But, I suspect the Spurs have a plan after 3 days rest...

spurschick
05-27-2005, 03:59 PM
It makes you wish that Devin was healthy

I think that's the understatement of the playoffs. I know the Spurs have gotten this far, but it would've been nice to see how Devin could've contributed.

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2005, 04:03 PM
I think that's the understatement of the playoffs. I know the Spurs have gotten this far, but it would've been nice to see how Devin could've contributed.

I just think that Devin would create severe matchup problems for the Suns, particularly when paired with Manu on the wings. In that 2nd game, Pop used Devin, in essence as the 4, matching him with Manu, Barry, and Beno in crunch time, which gave the Spurs 2 legitimate penetrators, and 4 guys who could hit the 3 legitimately. It would have been interesting to see how Phoenix would deal with a Spurs team that could go small and match them athlete-for-athlete.

I also wonder if Pop isn't considering forcing some matchups this weekend by seeing what Big Dog can do, playing a group like Duncan-Horry-Robinson-Ginobili-Parker. Nash can't slide off of Parker in that set, because unlike Barry and Bowen, Robinson would take his skinny ass to the post and abuse him. I think it's an interesing idea at least.

spurschick
05-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I also wonder if Pop isn't considering forcing some matchups this weekend by seeing what Big Dog can do, playing a group like Duncan-Horry-Robinson-Ginobili-Parker. Nash can't slide off of Parker in that set, because unlike Barry and Bowen, Robinson would take his skinny ass to the post and abuse him. I think it's an interesing idea at least.

If Big Dog's shots start falling, it could definitely be an interesting matchup. He was bit cold in that last Sonics game.

Maybe Devin should go against JJ - they're injuries would make them cancel each other out. NAH! Just kidding. That ain't gonna happen.
:lol

timvp
05-27-2005, 04:12 PM
I guess that if Nash slides off of Parker, he'll get Bowen and Barry in spots. It makes you wish that Devin was healthy; Pop could really exploit Nash's defensive liabilities by sending Parker, Ginobili, Brown, Duncan, and Mohammed/Horry out -- who on Earth would Nash guard in that scenario?

I was thinking the exact same thing. If Devin was healthy, this would be the time to use him. Nash can hide on Bowen and Barry. Neither one of those players is going to post him up or take him off the dribble. You put Devin in for Bowen and you force Nash to guard Parker.

Joe Johnson starting is huge for the Suns. I don't know why Spurs fans don't want to admit it. He's probably the team's best shooter and best perimeter defender. The fact that Nash can spend most of the game resting on defense should be enough to make a Spurs fan worry.

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. If Devin was healthy, this would be the time to use him. Nash can hide on Bowen and Barry. Neither one of those players is going to post him up or take him off the dribble. You put Devin in for Bowen and you force Nash to guard Parker.

And with Devin and Manu, you don't lose THAT much defensively, which is the best part of that scenario. It's why using Devin in that fashion would be preferable, IMO, to using Big Dog. I still think, though, that Pop can force some mismatches or modifications of the Suns intent to stop Parker if he can get some offense from Robinson at some point over the weekend.

The onus will be on Parker to attack Johnson as much as possible and create opportunities for other guys, not just for himself. And if Pop goes with Barry, and Phoenix uses Nash on him, I'd like to see some glipses of the Brent Barry who slashed and finished while with the Clippers and Sonics. He's shown some of it occasionally this season; now would be a great time to bring that back.

ducks
05-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I hope big dog is back!

spurschick
05-27-2005, 04:26 PM
The onus will be on Parker to attack Johnson as much as possible and create opportunities for other guys, not just for himself. And if Pop goes with Barry, and Phoenix uses Nash on him, I'd like to see some glipses of the Brent Barry who slashed and finished while with the Clippers and Sonics. He's shown some of it occasionally this season; now would be a great time to bring that back.

I feel a vBookie thread coming on...