PDA

View Full Version : Son Of A Mother, I Have To Dispose Of My Tree Myself?

PM5K
12-21-2010, 02:43 AM
Reading the SAWS newsletter and it says I now have to take my tree to a drop off location instead of them picking it up at the curb, WTF?

I don't want to put that thing back in my vehicle, there are going to be needles every-fucking-where. This type of thing is just going to invite illegal dumping, instead of recycling like the old program did.

Bitches.

Sisk
12-21-2010, 03:13 AM
That's why we have a fake tree for the first time this year.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 03:15 AM
That's why after Christmas you're going to see my tree in my neighbors yard this year.

Sisk
12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
That's why after Christmas you're going to see my tree in my neighbors yard this year.

:lol

I have a feeling your illegal dumping prediction will be true. Hopefully it is and they never pull this shit again.

Wild Cobra
12-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Would you expect tax payer dollar to buy you diapers for your babies too?

How about responsibilities for one's own actions. If you cannot take care of an issue you create, then don't do it. We all have an intelligence. Think ahead.

Leetonidas
12-21-2010, 08:24 AM

How about responsibilities for one's own actions. If you cannot take care of an issue you create, then don't do it. We all have an intelligence. Think ahead.
:rolleyes

Damn you make retarded ass analogies. A more appropriate one would've been "would you expect tax payer dollars to come pick up that smelly bag of shit stained diapers and throw it away for you too? You must take care of the issue you created!!!"

...which is stupid as fuck. Christmas tree after xmas = garbage. Hence, the garbage workers, hired by the city, should come pick that shit up.

Drachen
12-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Two things... Do you have a fire place? Then you have a tree disposal. Just be careful and don't use too much of the tree at one time (they burn fast and high). Secondly, next year when they roll out the green trash can, you will be able to dispose of it in there, presumably.

Tree hugger
12-21-2010, 08:43 AM
What a whining little bitch. Get a fake tree and STFU!!

jack sommerset
12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Burn it.

CommanderMcBragg
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Just drop the damn thing off and get over it.

METALMiKE
12-21-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.philosyphia.com/wp-content/uploads/wambulance.jpg

Bender
12-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Hence, the garbage workers, hired by the city, should come pick that shit up.
San antonio garbage service is getting worse all the time. They used to pick up bulky stuff (furniture,appliances, etc) twice a year (which wasn't even enough). Now they are going to only once a year.

Service drops, fees stay the same, or raise...

JoeChalupa
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
San antonio garbage service is getting worse all the time. They used to pick up bulky stuff (furniture,appliances, etc) twice a year (which wasn't even enough). Now they are going to only once a year.

We still have bulk pickup once a month and we've never used a real tree. Take it down and box it up and ready for next year.

mrsmaalox
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Yes once a year bulky pick up is absurd. The service is definitely getting worse. And now we're getting "green" cans? Where the heck am I supposed to keep these 3 gargantuan receptacles? Add to that the HOA Nazi spies in my neighborhood, and I may need to add on another garage just for trash receptacles.

And since I'm in bitch mode now.....how the heck do they not accept plastic bags in the recycling container?? And shredded paper? :cuss

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Find a junkie hooker, bring her home in the middle of the night, shoot her in your living room, and position the body in such a way that it appears she broke in and was stealing your tree. Now call the cops and tell them you were awoken in the middle of the night by a noise and killed the intruder. Suddenly that tree is no longer trash, but evidence and the good folks of the SAPD will take it off your hands for free. Couldn't get any easier than that. Worked like a charm when I didn't feel like handling some old Jack-o-Lanterns a couple years ago.

Bender
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
And shredded paper?
I knew about the plastic bags, but not about the shredded paper... hmmm seems stupid. If anything is perfect for recycling, its shredded paper.

I read that they don't take plastic bags because of the fact that the bags screw up their conveyor belts or something.

Marklar MM
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
im gessing they dont take shredded paper because they wouldn't be able to sort it as it would go all over.

Blake
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes once a year bulky pick up is absurd. The service is definitely getting worse. And now we're getting "green" cans? Where the heck am I supposed to keep these 3 gargantuan receptacles? Add to that the HOA Nazi spies in my neighborhood, and I may need to add on another garage just for trash receptacles.

And since I'm in bitch mode now.....how the heck do they not accept plastic bags in the recycling container?? And shredded paper? :cuss

No kidding.

If this is how it's going to go, then just outsource the service and let people pay whatever company they want.

bus driver
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
anywhere along 1604

BlairForceDejuan
12-21-2010, 12:30 PM
What a whining little bitch. Get a fake tree and STFU!!

lololololol

Doug Whiner
12-21-2010, 12:46 PM
:tu

Bender
12-21-2010, 12:50 PM
im gessing they dont take shredded paper because they wouldn't be able to sort it as it would go all over.
probably. when I toss my shredded paper, it's in plastic bags though.

Kori Ellis
12-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes once a year bulky pick up is absurd. The service is definitely getting worse...

In Hill Country Village, we have once a month bulky item pickup :tu The last Saturday of every month.

Bender
12-21-2010, 01:18 PM
In Hill Country Village, we have once a month bulky item pickup :tu The last Saturday of every month.
I'll bring my old mattress over.. what's your address?

leemajors
12-21-2010, 01:26 PM
we get bulk and bulk brush pickups 2-3 times a year in Austin.

mrsmaalox
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
probably. when I toss my shredded paper, it's in plastic bags though.

Yes! Double whammy :tu

Drachen
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I'll bring my old mattress over.. what's your address?

If they are not too bad, I know the St. Vincent De Paul Foundation at St. Matthews is looking for mattresses.

Drachen
12-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Also, shredded paper is compostable, just throw it in the ol' compost pile, mix it in and be done with it.

Also, if you are worried about the trees, go rent yourself a woodchipper, and invite everyone to bring their tree to your house. Chip the wood, mulch your gardens/flowerbeds, and if you have any extra, sell your neighbors their trees back.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I hadn't heard of this, green bins? I don't know what the fuck it's for but I don't have any more room for these fucking bins. The only thing I can think of is I'll put one of my three kids in each bin, and then have them randomly pop up while I smack them back down as quickly as I can.

It used to be more than twice a year, now it's twice a year, and you people are telling me they are going to once a year? WTF man? I don't remember any of my solid waste fees going down.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Also, if you are worried about the trees, go rent yourself a woodchipper, and invite everyone to bring their tree to your house. Chip the wood, mulch your gardens/flowerbeds, and if you have any extra, sell your neighbors their trees back.

Yeah I don't want to put a tree in my car and drive down to drop it off but you think I want to do all of that? Are you fucking crazy?

Drachen
12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah I don't want to put a tree in my car and drive down to drop it off but you think I want to do all of that? Are you fucking crazy?

Just trying to be enterprising here and make you some money (or save some as it were). You put the tree in your car and drove it to your house, why not put it in your tree and drive it from your house. They have like 15 drop off locations around the city. No big deal.

The green bins will begin to be distributed in August of next year and there will only be about 30k initially distributed, so you may not have to worry about it next year. They will be for compostable material (brush, leaves, clippings, food stuff, etc). This will likely alleviate your need for the semi annual brush pickup. Also, not sure if you know this but if I remember correctly you can request 1 bulk pickup for free per year (outside of their usual cycle).

Also, if you don't like it, cant you just go with a private trash company?

PM5K
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Just trying to be enterprising here and make you some money (or save some as it were). You put the tree in your car and drove it to your house, why not put it in your tree and drive it from your house. They have like 15 drop off locations around the city. No big deal.

The green bins will begin to be distributed in August of next year and there will only be about 30k initially distributed, so you may not have to worry about it next year. They will be for compostable material (brush, leaves, clippings, food stuff, etc). This will likely alleviate your need for the semi annual brush pickup. Also, not sure if you know this but if I remember correctly you can request 1 bulk pickup for free per year (outside of their usual cycle).

Also, if you don't like it, cant you just go with a private trash company?

The problem is, I didn't like putting it in my car in the first place, now I have to do it when it's all dried up and it will leave even more needles in my car, plus I have two :(

I already pay twenty bucks a month for city trash collection, you want me to pay someone else more?

TheSullyMonster
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
spend 10 minutes with a hacksaw, toss it in a trash bag.

Mulchie
12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Also, shredded paper is compostable, just throw it in the ol' compost pile, mix it in and be done with it.

:tu

Bender
12-21-2010, 04:05 PM
a hacksaw would take a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes...

Drachen
12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
The problem is, I didn't like putting it in my car in the first place, now I have to do it when it's all dried up and it will leave even more needles in my car, plus I have two :(

I already pay twenty bucks a month for city trash collection, you want me to pay someone else more?

I have no idea if it costs more with another trash company, but if you feel like you are not getting fair value, then maybe shop around. I wouldn't put a christmas tree inside either of my vehicles, dry or not. Like you said, the needles get everywhere. That is why I tie it to the top of said vehicles. Once again no big deal.

Also, I just found an article that states why they are not doing it. The link is here.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/No-city-Christmas-tree-pickup-907130.php

Highlights: The new garbage trucks are top loaders and it would be incredibly difficult to throw christmas trees into the top of one of those vehicles (previously we had back loaders).

There isnt really any more demand for tree pickup. It used to be that there were 40k trees to be picked up, we are down to around 13k in more recent years

Blake
12-21-2010, 04:16 PM

if you have the means, you can also cut the tree up, bag it and put it into the trash bin.

Blake
12-21-2010, 04:17 PM

ah. beat me to it.

45 with a hacksaw maybe.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Reciprocating saw FTW?

Blake
12-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Reciprocating saw FTW?

sounds good to me.

I've got a 12 year old artificial tree that I'm going to try to squeeze a solid 20 out of. The way to go, imo.

Drachen
12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
sounds good to me.

I've got a 12 year old artificial tree that I'm going to try to squeeze a solid 20 out of. The way to go, imo.

Do they really last that long? Did you buy one of the more expensive ones? I only ask because I would like to go with a fake one, but first I have to convince my wife to do so, but also I have to convince myself since they are very expensive. My MO over the last couple of years was to wait until a week before christmas. I can go to Lowes or Home Depot, they still have some great trees and just as an example we bought our 7 ft tree about 4 or 5 days ago for 13.94. If it makes fiscal sense then I can convince myself, then have an easier time convincing my wife, but at 225 a pop and not knowing how long they last, it is unclear to me if it would be worth a fake tree.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
sounds good to me.

I just can't do it. I can't get an artificial tree. I can't go to Bill Millers and order a turkey dinner, etc.

Drachen
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I just can't do it. I can't get an artificial tree. I can't go to Bill Millers and order a turkey dinner, etc.

My plan (if it makes sense to go this route) with the fake tree is to get those pine blocks every year so it still smells like there is a christmas tree in the room. Don't know if this helps or not.

JoeChalupa
12-21-2010, 05:18 PM
sounds good to me.

Same here. We are on year 8 of ours and still looks good.

PM5K
12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
My plan (if it makes sense to go this route) with the fake tree is to get those pine blocks every year so it still smells like there is a christmas tree in the room. Don't know if this helps or not.

For me it's also about the tradition of going out and buying a tree as well, part of that tradition also included throwing it out on the street after Christmas for the city to pick it up, but they fucked up that tradition, lol.

CosmicCowboy

Cut some cedar branches and put them in the box with the tree in the off season.

Blake

I don't blame you. From what I've read, unless you hold on to your artificial tree for at least 7 (?) years, it's environmentally better to get a real tree anyway.

For me, I got tired of tree sap, dead needles, and driving to get one.

the tree we have looks real enough, has three easy pieces to set up/take down and is(was) pre-lit.

Blake
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
part of that tradition also included throwing it out on the street after Christmas for the city to pick it up, but they fucked up that tradition, lol.

Tree hugger
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
How in the hell can cutting down all those trees for just a few weeks of display be environmentally better? Save a tree!!!

CubanSucks
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

10 minutes my ass. And are the trash bags you use made out of steel?

ploto
12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I think they sell giant tree bags for disposal that you could put the tree in to take it to drop off. Or use some giant lawn garbage bags from each end.

CubanSucks
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
IMO, a city doing a once a month big pickup is perfect and completely reasonable

Drachen
12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
How in the hell can cutting down all those trees for just a few weeks of display be environmentally better? Save a tree!!!

I am not sure if I this flies at all, but maybe the reason it would be environmentally better is that as less and less people buy real trees, there are fewer farms growing them. They will convert that land to some other use. Perhaps growing veggies, perhaps a parking lot, whatever. Anyway, trees convert more carbon to oxygen in their growing phase than they do when matured. Since these farms are constantly growing new trees, they use more carbon, than say a lettuce farm, or a parking lot would.

You can attack this if you will, it is not researched or anything, just off the top of my head.

Sisk
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM

What an epic fail.

Wild Cobra
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
:rolleyes

Damn you make retarded ass analogies. A more appropriate one would've been "would you expect tax payer dollars to come pick up that smelly bag of shit stained diapers and throw it away for you too? You must take care of the issue you created!!!"

...which is stupid as fuck. Christmas tree after xmas = garbage. Hence, the garbage workers, hired by the city, should come pick that shit up.
No, because of all cities working to be more green, there are certain things they do their best not to put in landfills. That's why you now have garbage, recyclables, and yard debris. The yard debris stuff goes to places that compost it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're a liberal. You should applaud such efforts of the city to do things right.

Wild Cobra
12-21-2010, 09:20 PM

How about responsibilities for one's own actions. If you cannot take care of an issue you create, then don't do it. We all have an intelligence. Think ahead. What an epic fail.
Why?

Because if a person can bring it home, I think they can take care of it also?

It's a service paid for separately from garbage in some locations. Rightly so if you ask me. Why should the cost to everyone pay for a service that maybe half or less of the households use?

As for the diaper analogy... Only those who love the nanny state expect others to do for them. Don't nanny's often change other peoples children diapers?

Sisk
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Why?

Because if a person can bring it home, I think they can take care of it also?

It's a service paid for separately from garbage in some locations. Rightly so if you ask me. Why should the cost to everyone pay for a service that maybe half or less of the households use?

As for the diaper analogy... Only those who love the nanny state expect others to do for them. Don't nanny's often change other peoples children diapers?

We're talking about trees. Not diapers - get over it.

It's a service that has been and should still be provided. Should people have to go find somewhere to dispose of all their trash? Should we pave our own roads? We pay for these services and should receive them. All that "going green" crap is a cop-out for the city to save a dime IMO.

Wild Cobra
12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

It's a service that has been and should still be provided. Should people have to go find somewhere to dispose of all their trash? Should we pave our own roads? We pay for these services and should receive them. All that "going green" crap is a cop-out for the city to save a dime IMO.
It's not trash. It's compostable material and is treated different, thanks to liberal green thinking policies. It should get collected like other lawn debris like cut grass.

Blake
12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Do they really last that long? Did you buy one of the more expensive ones? I only ask because I would like to go with a fake one, but first I have to convince my wife to do so, but also I have to convince myself since they are very expensive. My MO over the last couple of years was to wait until a week before christmas. I can go to Lowes or Home Depot, they still have some great trees and just as an example we bought our 7 ft tree about 4 or 5 days ago for 13.94. If it makes fiscal sense then I can convince myself, then have an easier time convincing my wife, but at 225 a pop and not knowing how long they last, it is unclear to me if it would be worth a fake tree.

$225 sounds high to me. I think I got my 6.5 footer after Christmas on sale for less than $100, with lights.

The only issue is that last year, some of the strands finally went out and it was a pain to try to find the bad bulbs. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it without the prelights.

Blake
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I am not sure if I this flies at all, but maybe the reason it would be environmentally better is that as less and less people buy real trees, there are fewer farms growing them. They will convert that land to some other use. Perhaps growing veggies, perhaps a parking lot, whatever. Anyway, trees convert more carbon to oxygen in their growing phase than they do when matured. Since these farms are constantly growing new trees, they use more carbon, than say a lettuce farm, or a parking lot would.

You can attack this if you will, it is not researched or anything, just off the top of my head.

You're on the right track according to this article.

and it loooks like I was wrong about 7 years.......you have to keep it for 20+.......

......“I’m very environmentally conscious,” Ms. Jones said. “I’ll keep it [artificial tree] for 10 years, and that’s 10 trees that won’t be cut down.”

But Ms. Jones and the millions of others buying fake trees might not be doing the environment any favors.

In the most definitive study of the perennial real vs. fake question, an environmental consulting firm in Montreal found that an artificial tree would have to be reused for more than 20 years to be greener than buying a fresh-cut tree annually. The calculations included greenhouse gas emissions, use of resources and human health impacts.

“The natural tree is a better option,” said Jean-Sebastien Trudel, founder of the firm, Ellipsos, that released the independent study last year. ........

more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/18/business/energy-environment/18tree.html

Blake
12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
IMO, a city doing a once a month big pickup is perfect and completely reasonable

in SA, starting in February, big items will be picked up separately once a year.

Brush piles will be picked up twice a year. If there are bulky items like appliances discarded out with the brush pile, they won't pick it up any more.

That seems reasonable to me.

Dr. Gonzo
12-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Burn the tree.

Bender
12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Brush piles will be picked up twice a year. If there are bulky items like appliances discarded out with the brush pile, they won't pick it up any more.

That seems reasonable to me.
so, next, when they decide to go to once every two years for bulky items, that will seem reasonable too?

Blake
12-22-2010, 12:18 PM
so, next, when they decide to go to once every two years for bulky items, that will seem reasonable too?

to me? no.

Hopefully it will seem unreasonable to the city manager as well.

mrsmaalox
12-22-2010, 12:24 PM

to me? no.

Hopefully it will seem unreasonable to the city manager as well.

I'm afraid at that point, the only thing that will seem reasonable to the city manager will be to impose huge fines on anyone with more than their share of bulky items.

Wild Cobra
12-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Welcome to the real world and budget crunches. Stop relying on the nanny state and rely on yourself.

Wild Cobra
12-22-2010, 12:55 PM

My understanding is cutting down a tree is environmentally neutral. It captures carbon dioxide as it grows, but as it decays, it releases it. Zero sum. The plastic trees, like all things plastic, use fossil fuel and depends on if you recycle it or throw it away.

Bender
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the real world and budget crunches. Stop relying on the nanny state and rely on yourself.
I think his complaint was that we pay a lot for these "services" but we get less and less services all the time.

Wild Cobra
12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I think his complaint was that we pay a lot for these "services" but we get less and less services all the time.
I don't disagree with that take. However, what is the solution? Money only goes so far, and government run/contracted services are so much less efficient than a free market approach. Who's going to pay for it?

Margaret Thatcher:
“socialism is a great idea till you run out of other people’s money.”

AmericanWoman
12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
If you have the room in your backyard, Christmas trees make excellent bird habitats. Remove all of the decorations. Make sure there is no tinsel or flocking. You can also attach a bird feeder.

Shelly
12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
While I'm not happy about the bulky items being picked up once a year--the city really doesn't end up picking up that much because I've never had anything I put out for pick up stay at the curb longer than a few hours. The scavengers get it before the city does!

Bender
12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
If you have the room in your backyard, Christmas trees make excellent bird habitats. Remove all of the decorations. Make sure there is no tinsel or flocking. You can also attach a bird feeder.
Heloise?

AmericanWoman
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Heloise?

mrsmaalox
12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Apparently they'll still be doing twice a year brush pick ups, so the longest you'd have to keep the tree in your backyard would be 6 months....

ploto
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Apparently they'll still be doing twice a year brush pick ups, so the longest you'd have to keep the tree in your backyard would be 6 months....

Good idea- save it for your next brush pick up time if you have somewhere to put it.

Blake
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
We need to revolt by throwing 10,000 trees, rocks, old mattresses, TVs and a bunch of other junk right at the SAWS main office. Maybe next time they won't fuck with a population of 1.4 million who already hates them for all the bullshit they've pulled over the years.

you going to jail for illegal dumping will surely teach SAWS a lesson

Sisk
12-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Yeah, the city fucking their citizens out of a yearly occurrence. We should just sit back and take it. :rolleyes

Johnson
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
^----- Question: do you think Cowbell Girl is like that in bed, or would she be wild and crazy?

ploto
12-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought of you today. Found tacked to my front door- a notice from a tree service offering to pick up my Christmas tree for $10.

Drachen
12-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought of you today. Found tacked to my front door- a notice from a tree service offering to pick up my Christmas tree for $10.

another great way to make some cash! real easy too.

Wild Cobra
12-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Some people know how to make money!

ChumpDumper
12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Aluminum poles are easier to store.

Happy Festivus, everybody.

Drachen
12-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Aluminum poles are easier to store.

Happy Festivus, everybody.

Well today is Dooleymas! That is, today is the day that the world celebrates the day of my birth.

Merry Dooleymas everyone!

Blake
12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
no

Illegal dumping = Fine
Vandalism = probation, possible short jail sentence

yes

Illegal dumping over 5 lbs in SA is a class B misdemeanor.

Sisk
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
^----- Question: do you think Cowbell Girl is like that in bed, or would she be wild and crazy?

She's blind tbh

She'd probably be great