PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter could be out for a month

djohn2oo8
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Vince Carter is considering having arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome left knee that could put him out for up to a month.

It makes sense. In Orlando where they were competing for an NBA title he didn't want to ruin the continuity of the team's starting lineup, compromise their chances for home court advantage, or (personally) lose his starting job to J.J. Redick. Now he has a chance to get his knee right heading into what will be an audition, since it is possible the Suns buy out his $4 million guarantee rather than paying him the full $18 million he is owed next season. The surgery isn't guaranteed right now, but Jared Dudley should be added in many situations with this news.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32300944/ns/sports-player_news/

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Smart move for him.
IF he has a chance to be a FA, this maybe his last chance to sign a decent deal. The suns uptemp style should suit his game ...he can make 3's and can score in transition.

Suns should be fine without him childress and dudley take those minutes ...and they are better defensively for it ...

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Vince just needs to let the Suns medical staff do whatever the fuck they want..

Darrin
12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Damn, my fantasy team is getting sick (carter, billups, kaman, cousins)

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32300944/ns/sports-player_news/

BTW jennifer -Love one of my first crushes ...her and Christina applegate ...always was a breast man even from a young age ...but as I have gotten a bit older I have started to appreciate a woman's booty more ...

dont care if they fake she has a great rack ...met her once, nice chick.

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Vince just needs to let the Suns medical staff do whatever the fuck they want..

Good point. they have performed miracles. Sure Ghill will tell him the same ...

Venti Quattro
12-21-2010, 12:17 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

LMCONTROLLINAO! Let us proceed!!!

pauls931
12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
awesome

rayjayjohnson
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I didn't know you needed arthroscopic surgery to fix a sandy vagina

mavs>spurs
12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
just some risk they should have presaged imo. it doesn't matter though since the suns have been out of the race already ever since they dealt out amare.

lefty
12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Magic just owned the Suns :rollin

history2b
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
True story....

My first big basketball debate on the internet was on the subject of Vince Carter versus Kobe Bryant.

Might seem absurd now but back in 1999, when Kobe was still young and Vince was being majorly hyped because of Nike and dunking ability it was a vicious battle. I scarred dozens of Raptor fans all of whom ultimate disappeared from the boards and none of whom ever wanted to talk about the subject again post 2004-ish.

crc21209
12-21-2010, 03:45 PM
:lol Suns....

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
True story....

My first big basketball debate on the internet was on the subject of Vince Carter versus Kobe Bryant.

Might seem absurd now but back in 1999, when Kobe was still young and Vince was being majorly hyped because of Nike and dunking ability it was a vicious battle. I scarred dozens of Raptor fans all of whom ultimate disappeared from the boards and none of whom ever wanted to talk about the subject again post 2004-ish.

Vince had the talent and ability to be better than Kobe, it was a legit discussion at the time..VC was a different player when he first entered the NBA..even though he was still an All-Star with the Nets, he wasn't the same ferocious player he was in his first 3 years in Toronto + his first season with the Nets..

The difference, other than injuries, was that Kobe has a legendary work ethic, while Vince doesn't have the mentality and love for basketball that great players have, obviously..

history2b
12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Bullshit.

The difference was basketball fundamentals. Apparent to those who knew the game, dismissed by those who get easily caught up in the aura of hype.

djohn2oo8
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Bullshit.

The difference was basketball fundamentals. Apparent to those who knew the game, dismissed by those who get easily caught up in the aura of hype.

That's where work ethic comes in

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Vince isn't Lebron, in the sense that he always relied strictly on athleticism..his athleticism was a huge part of his game, but he always had a solid post-up game, he always had good footwork, he could score in a variety of ways, he was always a good passer..the only reason people think he was "just a dunker" is because he's the best dunker of all-time, so his highlights obviously standout..

He wasn't a Kobe or Duncan from a fundamentals standpoint, but he certainly wasn't Lebron or Shaq..he could have kept working on his craft, improving his fundamentals and knowledge of the game, like most other greats, but he didn't, as he himself has admitted..

Bryant continued to work hard and improve his game, working with other greats, studying tape, being a gym rat, while Vince didn't add any significant improvements in his game, other than his jump shot after his 1st season(as he himself has admitted), played without motivation and desire on a regular basis, and was constantly hampered by injuries..

history2b
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
That's where work ethic comes in

No. Fundamentals are engrained in players during youth. You don't gain them when you come to the NBA, lol.

Did Kobe's work ethic help him improve every facet of his game? Sure. But the little things like ball handling, fundamental passing, court vision and most importantly defense, were all more evidence in the younger Bryant.

Raptor fans loved to ignore that other 50% of the game where a player has to illustrate an entirely different understanding of the game; how to stop an opponent.

Vince was and still is one the softest, pussified, weak-minded overrated cream puff way back in 2000. You just had to have the ability to look past awe-inspiring dunks.

Casual fans typically cannot do this.

Lebron's bball is approximately triple Carter's as well.

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I completely disagree..

While it's obviously easier to play and learn the game when you grow up with it and are taught at a young age, it's still definitely possible to develop better fundamentals with hard work and studying IMO, I don't see how you can dispute that..

Carter's defense was fine when he put his mind to it, he was a good defender when he tried, even in college(key game vs. Rip Hamilton comes to mind, IIRC), which has little to do with fundamentals, and more to do with effort..this was a pretty common opinion at the time..his defensive effort has always been questionable..

It should also be noted that while Bryant is obviously a much better defender, he also had much less offensive responsibility on his team, at the time, and Phil Jackson himself has said that Kobe was overrated defensively..Kobe's game has also benefited greatly from Phil Jackson's coaching, which he himself has said..

I don't disagree with Vince being soft, he clearly is, but it was more from a physical and effort standpoint IMO..particularly a low pain threshold and poor shot selection, falling in love with the 3, which was never shaken out of him..he was a different player from a mental standpoint, stepping up in the playoffs when his team needed him(particularly vs. Philly in 2001), which wasn't the case as his career unfolded..

In regards to Kobe's fundamentals, he has clearly "improved" them, so I disagree with your feelings that you can't improve them..living in NY and all, I remember plenty of talk around the "Jordan vs. Kobe" ASG where Kobe was being talked about as having "more flash than fundamentals" by analysts and the media..while this doesn't mean he didn't have the proper fundamentals at the time, it's clear that they have improved with time, as he is now regarded as having one of the top 3-5 best fundamental skill-sets in NBA history..

Also, while Kobe's fundamentals were clearly better, Carter's physical advantages had him beat by a pretty good margin, especially pre-injuries..there's a reason many people took Carter over him at the time, and there's a reason they finished with similar results in MVP/All-NBA voting and were compared at the time(those accolades aren't my argument, obviously MVP and all-NBA voting are tricky, but the fact that they were close obviously shows that they were comparable for a reason)..

history2b
12-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I completely disagree..

While it's obviously easier to play and learn the game when you grow up with it and are taught at a young age, it's still definitely possible to develop better fundamentals with hard work and studying IMO, I don't see how you can dispute that..

Carter's defense was fine when he put his mind to it, he was a good defender when he tried, even in college(key game vs. Rip Hamilton comes to mind, IIRC), which has little to do with fundamentals, and more to do with effort..this was a pretty common opinion at the time..his defensive effort has always been questionable..

It should also be noted that while Bryant is obviously a much better defender, he also had much less offensive responsibility on his team, at the time, and Phil Jackson himself has said that Kobe was overrated defensively..Kobe's game has also benefited greatly from Phil Jackson's coaching, which he himself has said..

I don't disagree with Vince being soft, he clearly is, but it was more from a physical and effort standpoint IMO..particularly a low pain threshold and poor shot selection, falling in love with the 3, which was never shaken out of him..he was a different player from a mental standpoint, stepping up in the playoffs when his team needed him(particularly vs. Philly in 2001), which wasn't the case as his career unfolded..

In regards to Kobe's fundamentals, he has clearly "improved" them, so I disagree with your feelings that you can't improve them..living in NY and all, I remember plenty of talk around the "Jordan vs. Kobe" ASG where Kobe was being talked about as having "more flash than fundamentals" by analysts and the media..while this doesn't mean he didn't have the proper fundamentals at the time, it's clear that they have improved with time, as he is now regarded as having one of the top 3-5 best fundamental skill-sets in NBA history..

Also, while Kobe's fundamentals were clearly better, Carter's physical advantages had him beat by a pretty good margin, especially pre-injuries..there's a reason many people took Carter over him at the time, and there's a reason they finished with similar results in MVP/All-NBA voting and were compared at the time(those accolades aren't my argument, obviously MVP and all-NBA voting are tricky, but the fact that they were close obviously shows that they were comparable for a reason)..

Lol, while I don't have the time to get into it right now, I absolutely disagree.

Fundamentals can be improved upon, sure, but fundamentals absent all together are something else. And Vince had fundamentals absent.

As it is, anyone who says Vince's defense was "fine" is pretty much disqualified from having my attention any further.

Mark in Austin
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Can they perform heart transplants?

:lol Nice.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Can they perform heart transplants?
:rollin

Lukor
12-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Atleast Suns fans know what to expect from Vince right away :toast

endrity
12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I never really believed that he was better than Kobe, though Harlem is right in that Vince's game was always more polished than what people stereotype about him.

I will admit though that for a moment there, around 2004, I thought TMac could have been better than Kobe. I truly admired his game, especially his ability to elevate in front of everyone and just nail jumpers from everywhere. Some say he also didn't have enough heart/courage/mental strength etc, but to me he seemed like he cared a lot more than Vince did. I just think his injuries became too much to overcome.