PDA

View Full Version : Luke on the Riverwalk...anyone eaten there?

CosmicCowboy
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone been to Luke on the Riverwalk yet? It's John Besh's new restaurant that just opened a couple of weeks ago.. I'm taking a bunch of people down there tomorrow night...sounds really good...anyone else checked it out?

http://www.lukesanantonio.com/

lefty
12-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Richard Jefferson is a regular there

Pick of Destiny
12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
No, but I'm sure your recipes would win hands down.

CosmicCowboy
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
No, but I'm sure your recipes would win hands down.

Yeah, I'm sure I would win in a throwdown but occasionally it's nice to go out...:lol

I'm doing fish and shrimp tacos with asian coleslaw, spicy black beans and rice tonight...

Pick of Destiny
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I'm sure I would win in a throwdown but occasionally it's nice to go out...:lol

:tu It does sound like a great place and I'll check it out as soon as I can get a loan to afford it.

scott
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
They've supposedly got a great beer selection, filled with local brews. So it has my approval (which, coupled with a nickel will get you something that costs a nickel).

clambake
12-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Richard Jefferson is a regular there

i guess that means no sushi!

ididnotnothat
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I've seen this guy on Iron Chef and I think on Top Chef before as well.

JoeChalupa
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Didn't know this place was open. I'll be taking the wife. I wonder if I can find a coupon?

Jason R
12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
The drinks are great and its upscale without being snobby. Good location and excellent service. We dined there when the head chief was around and he was super attentive to everyone. Great place to go, and the drinks are great.

CosmicCowboy
12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Report:

Wow...this place is GREAT!
Immaculate and personal service without being snobby. All the staff were extremely friendly. We even had two babies (14 months and 3.5) and they "custom made" dishes for kids...even threw together a big bowl of (extremely good) mac and cheese. No snobbery at all.

Drinks were great. Several commented that they were possible best ever (mojito) and they have a large local/Texas beer selection.

Appetizers were good. Quail was perfectly cooked (unusual in a restaurant) and the shrimp in a cup is outstanding.

All the entrees looked and tasted great. Portions aren't huge, but totally adequate. Presentation is simple but effective...

Desserts were really good. bread pudding (normally not a particular favorite because of texture) was absolutely amazing best ever...cooked individually in a cast iron bowl so it had a lot of "crisp but not burned" on the edges...

All in all a spectacular treat. Total with drinks, appetizers, desserts, and tip came to around $50 a head (not counting the kids) which is extremely reasonable for service/atmosphere/food quality like this.

Top it off with a .2 mile hike to the river barge station at the Aztec and take a 30 minute boat tour with the Christmas lights while the food settles.

You can Valet park at the Embassy Suites for $7 if you tell them you are going to Lukes.

All in all, CosmicCowboy gives them 5 stars. All the plusses of a full blown gourmet destination restaurant without any of the pretentious bullshit.

Soul_Patch
12-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Report:

Wow...this place is GREAT!
Immaculate and personal service without being snobby. All the staff were extremely friendly. We even had two babies (14 months and 3.5) and they "custom made" dishes for kids...even threw together a big bowl of (extremely good) mac and cheese. No snobbery at all.

Drinks were great. Several commented that they were possible best ever (mojito) and they have a large local/Texas beer selection.

Appetizers were good. Quail was perfectly cooked (unusual in a restaurant) and the shrimp in a cup is outstanding.

All the entrees looked and tasted great. Portions aren't huge, but totally adequate. Presentation is simple but effective...

Desserts were really good. bread pudding (normally not a particular favorite because of texture) was absolutely amazing best ever...cooked individually in a cast iron bowl so it had a lot of "crisp but not burned" on the edges...

All in all a spectacular treat. Total with drinks, appetizers, desserts, and tip came to around $50 a head (not counting the kids) which is extremely reasonable for service/atmosphere/food quality like this.

Top it off with a .2 mile hike to the river barge station at the Aztec and take a 30 minute boat tour with the Christmas lights while the food settles.

You can Valet park at the Embassy Suites for $7 if you tell them you are going to Lukes.

All in all, CosmicCowboy gives them 5 stars. All the plusses of a full blown gourmet destination restaurant without any of the pretentious bullshit.

May have to take the wife down there on our next special occasion. What price range are we looking at? like 20 - 30 dollars a plate? More? Reservations needed?

CosmicCowboy
12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
May have to take the wife down there on our next special occasion. What price range are we looking at? like 20 - 30 dollars a plate? More? Reservations needed?

With bar drinks, appetizers, entrees, desserts, after dinner coffee, tip, etc. it averaged out about $50-$60 per adult. As I remember entrees were between $15 and $30. We made reservations a couple of days ahead of time.

Jason R
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Their wine is great too. But yes drinks all around are amazing.

JoeChalupa
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
$50 bucks a head!? Well, I don't do bar drinks, desserts and after dinner coffee so maybe I can bring that down a bit.

DMX7
12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Looks fucking good judging by the pictures.... which isn't smart to do by the way. But I'll probably end up giving it a try.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2011, 01:03 AM
The wife and I will be going on Friday. Made reservations online. My critique to come.