PDA

View Full Version : Nets structuring new deal for Anthony

crc21209
12-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Nets structuring new deal for Anthony

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
11 hours, 38 minutes ago

The Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets are advancing on another complicated multiteam trade proposal that would likely fit Carmelo Anthony’s criteria for signing a contract extension with the Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony is inclined to accept a trade and contract extension with New Jersey over his preferred choice of New York only if the Nets are able to bring back a package of significant talent with him, league sources involved in the talks said on Monday.

So far, there are trade scenarios that include a combination of Anthony’s Denver teammates – including forward Al Harrington– and other league players coming to the Nets.

“The way this is structured now, the Nets will significantly upgrade their team,” said one NBA executive involved in the talks.

Said a Western Conference executive whose team has pursued Anthony: “ ’Melo wants something similar to the Orlando deal, where he won’t have to go into New Jersey – or anywhere he’s going – without some help right away.”

Denver’s and New Jersey’s trade partners are still unclear, but league executives said the Nets and Nuggets are tweaking several possible proposals with multiple teams. For now, New Jersey general manager Billy King is preparing to send rookie forward Derrick Favors, the expiring contract of Troy Murphy, two or three future first-round draft picks and $3 million to Denver for minimally Anthony and Harrington. More Nuggets and Nets would likely be on the move, too.

Center Brook Lopez is the only Nets player not involved in any of the proposals, sources said.

The Nuggets’ sudden urgency to move the unhappy Anthony is the reason more teams have been calling lately, including two contenders who are willing to chase a championship with Anthony as a rental player, a league source said. The Nuggets could do those deals without consulting Anthony, because those teams aren’t requiring a contract extension with Anthony to make the trade.

Several executives involved in the talks believe a deal will come sooner than later. Denver has made clear to teams the bidding process will culminate long before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

No deal is imminent, but sources involved in the talks believe that early January is a realistic target. The New York Knicks are still Anthony’s preferred destination, but so far there are no trade packages involving the Knicks that interest Denver. Knicks GM Donnie Walsh and Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri have been talking more in the past couple weeks, but sources said Denver officials still prefer the Nets’ multiple picks and Favors.

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke and Ujiri haven’t spoken in two weeks with Anthony about the approval process on a trade, a source said, but they’ve proceeded with an understanding that fattening a package for the Nets will go a long way toward getting him to sign an extension. When the time comes, the Nets are planning to have owner Mikhail Prokhorov personally sell Anthony on the Nets’ future in Brooklyn beyond 2012.

There are no teams involved in the pursuit of Anthony, including the Knicks, who believe Anthony is willing to pass on a contract extension before the trade deadline. With the owners determined to make sharp cuts into player salaries with a new collective bargaining agreement, Anthony’s willingness to accept a compromise sign-and-trade to get his three-year, $64 million extension illustrates his reluctance to enter free agency under a more restrictive salary structure.

The Nets would need to trade point guard Devin Harris to a third team to help bring back more talent, and somehow they have to come out of this trade with a veteran replacement. Chauncey Billups is a possibility, but there are questions about how much longer he can perform at an elevated level. Another player the Nuggets will likely move is shooting guard J.R. Smith, who has drawn interest from the Chicago Bulls. Smith is making $6 million in the final year of his contract, and would love to end up with the Bulls, sources said. So far, Denver has resisted Chicago’s overtures on Smith because it may need to include him in a larger deal with Anthony. Bulls GM Gar Forman has been calling league personnel to do more research on the temperamental Smith, sources said.

The Nuggets and Nets had the framework of a four-team trade with Utah and Charlotte in October, but the deal ultimately fell apart. As involved as that scenario was, one executive involved in the past and present discussions described these as “a more complex, even bigger deal.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsrPi70wKpMkQiAKttfJ_UW8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonytalks122110

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
What the hell is Denver gonna do now without Anthony??
A team that had promise a couple years back has fallen off the earth it seems.

TimmehC
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
The Nuggets’ sudden urgency to move the unhappy Anthony is the reason more teams have been calling lately, including two contenders who are willing to chase a championship with Anthony as a rental player, a league source said. The Nuggets could do those deals without consulting Anthony, because those teams aren’t requiring a contract extension with Anthony to make the trade.

You just know the Mavs are one of those. A clear #2 option next to Dirk. Curious as to who the other "contender" is, though.

noob cake
12-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Nets are about to get fleeced. Melo is not a franchise player.

Can't believe they are going to sell house for Melo.

Killakobe81
12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
what could Mavs offer back? Roddy, Caron and haywood? Would the nuggs even want Haywood's salary? I would prefer Tyson, roddy and Caron..if I am nuggs ...cheaper, better player better fit.

PG Chuancey
SG Afflalo
SF Caron
PF Nene
C Chandler

now, that would be a real good team (no title, but still) with Smith, Harrington roddy Birdman and Lawson on the bench (Maybe You trade smith for a SF or PF)

baseline bum
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Al Harrington is the significant talent for Melo to take with him to NJ? :lmao

Darthkiller
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
too be fair, harington is better than any player on the nets. that's how shitty nets roster is . lmao their center is shooting under40%

8FOR!3
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
PG Devin Harris | Jordan Farmar | Ben Uzoh
SG Anthony Morrow | Sasha Vujacic | Quinton Ross
SF Carmelo Anthony | Travis Outlaw | Damion James | Stephen Graham
PF Al Harrington | Kris Humphries
C Brook Lopez | Johan Petro

their big situation would be pretty average, Al Harrington and Brook Lopez would probably rock together and Kris Humphries is a decent big off the bench, but not a great first one and there's little depth there as of right now. It wouldn't be as good as it is right now, where they have their two bigs of the future and Troy Murphy as the 3rd big.

SF would obviously have a lot of depth and size. Melo is Melo and Travis Outlaw and Damion James could provide some defense to make up for Carmelo Anthony. Might be the best overall depth at that position in the league if that's how it worked out.

There's a big difference between point guards and shooting guards. PG is decent, has a capable but not great backup and a good starter. Plus a future prospect in Uzoh. SG on the other hand absolutely sucks. Anthony Morrow is a lights out shooter, but I think he'd be better as a role player coming off the bench. Sasha and Ross aren't really starting material and both are even questionable backups imo. They'd have to do something about this position in the future. I doubt they could get Landry Fields out of the trade but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Either way, Devin Harris, Melo, and Brook Lopez is an interesting triple threat and it'd be pretty cool to watch. I'd say it's a playoff caliber team but they wouldn't make any noise even in a weak Eastern Conference.

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2010, 05:47 PM
That would be one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history:lol..

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
he might as well stay in denver

nets are nowhere near contending for a ring

Basketballgirl25
12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
someone actually wake me up when I trade happens, it's been talked about since summer Melo would be traded to the Nets, has it happened yet, nope, will it happen? I don't know and I getting sick and tired of all this Melo crap. I say keep favors and save us from hearing about Melo

Basketballgirl25
12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
You just know the Mavs are one of those. A clear #2 option next to Dirk. Curious as to who the other "contender" is, though.

when I read contenders, first team to come to mind Mavs, I wouldn't be shocked if it was them and they gave up half the good players for him:lol