PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Mavs poised to enter Melo chase

duncan228
12-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Sources: Mavs poised to enter Melo chase (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26583993)
Ken Berger
CBS Sports

The Dallas Mavericks are plotting an aggressive push to acquire Carmelo Anthony, even if they don’t get assurances that the three-time All-Star would agree to a contract extension as part of the trade, league sources told CBSSports.com.

Despite his team’s emergence as one of the powers of the Western Conference -- and, as Dallas proved Monday night in Miami, the whole league -- owner Mark Cuban is said to be not only willing to take a chance on Anthony, but eager to steal him from the Nets, who are owned by his billionaire rival, Mikhail Prokhorov. In a deal that would provide Denver with little more than future savings, the Mavs are planning what one rival executive described as a “hard” push.

The Mavs’ interest has yet to take the form of a concrete offer, as one person connected to the Anthony drama told CBSSports.com Tuesday that Dallas had yet to present one. Any prospects the Mavs might have to pull off such a coup would be contingent on Anthony declining to sign an extension with New Jersey. With a signed extension as part of the deal, the Nets still possess by far the most attractive assets to Denver -- Derrick Favors, the expiring contract of Troy Murphy, and multiple first-round picks.

But that is the question that the Anthony saga has hinged on for months. Part of Dallas’ strategy, according to sources, is to shift the Anthony discussions to what Cuban recently called the “rent-a-player” phase, which would drive down the price and encourage other teams to present offers without assurances that Anthony would stay put for five years -- the two he has remaining (including the early-termination option for 2011-12) plus the extension.

Such potential suitors, including the Mavs, do not have enough of what Denver is looking for to compete with New Jersey’s best offer. But if Dallas is successful in shifting Denver’s focus to “rental” deals, the Nets would then have to decide how much they are willing to give up to acquire a franchise cornerstone for their move to Brooklyn -- even if Anthony could leave them in the dust as a free agent before the team even got there.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets remain in a patient posture and are not in any apparent rush to push a New Jersey trade to fruition. And after acquiring two more first-round picks in a three-team trade with the Lakers and Rockets last week, Nets executives are continuing their ongoing efforts to sweeten the deal for Anthony by acquiring a veteran he’d want to play with in Newark, N.J., for a year-and-a-half. Such inducements could come in the form of Al Harrington and/or Chauncey Billups, whom Anthony might be comfortable having on board. The other scenarios, according to one executive familiar with them, are numerous and “beyond challenging” because multiple teams would be needed.

Among the contending teams with the deep pockets and championship core to take a risk like trading for Anthony without a signed extension as part of the deal, Dallas has the most expiring money to make it worth the Nuggets’ while. Any Dallas proposal would have to include the expiring contracts of Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson. More money would need to be added -- Tyson Chandler? -- or a third team would need to be recruited in order to take Harrington and/or Billups off Denver’s hands.

The notion of Anthony going to a contender -- or to the Nets, for that matter -- without signing his three-year, $65 million extension is exactly what New York Knicks officials are hoping for. Sources say the Knicks continue to believe that the longer the Anthony situation plays out, the better their chances of landing him through a trade, or more likely, as a free agent after the season and anticipated lockout. New York has been Anthony’s preferred destination since his operatives began pushing for a trade in September, and a person directly involved in Anthony’s decision-making process told CBSSports.com earlier this month that he’d become more entrenched in his desire to agree to an extend-and-trade only if he would up with the Knicks. CBSSports.com also reported that Anthony has not shared his position with Nuggets officials, and that Nets officials have been told differently by Anthony’s camp.

Another team that various team executives believe is very much in the mix -- either to make a push to land Melo as a rental or become involved as a third-team facilitator -- is the Rockets. Houston fully expects to receive a disabled-player exception for Yao Ming totaling $5.8 million and already has a $6.3 million exception from the Trevor Ariza trade. Such exceptions can’t be combined, but individually they could be used to absorb a contract -- such as, for example, the Nuggets’ J.R. Smith’s or Harrington’s -- without sending equal money back. In return, the Rockets would either have to get a player they want or be compensated accordingly with draft picks or other assets. The Rockets also are flush with the expiring contracts of Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries, and even Yao, whose contract is insured due to his season-ending foot injury.

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has a history of bold moves, and has placed few restrictions on his front office, led by GM Daryl Morey, to spend money in order to win. The Rockets, for example, are currently a tax-paying team and are under no mandate from ownership to shed salary even though they are off to a slow start and have lost Yao for the season -- and maybe for good.

A dark horse in all of this? The Mavs’ opponent Tuesday night, Orlando. The Magic have a little more than two months before the Feb. 24 trade deadline to see if their revamped roster will be good enough to contend for a title after this week’s blockbuster trades with Phoenix and Washington. But the only piece that is likely to be available and enticing to Denver is Jason Richardson, whose $14.4 million contract expires after the season. Richardson cannot be combined with other players in a trade for 60 days, which would leave just enough time before the trade deadline to involve him in the Anthony discussions.

If -- and this is a big if -- Anthony is still a Nugget by then.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26583993

TE
12-22-2010, 01:44 AM
:blah
all talk

Roddy Beaubois
12-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Fuck fear, Drink Beer

BUMP
12-22-2010, 01:51 AM
If the Mavs get a second scorer they're gonna be title contenders for sure.

:lmaotoo bad they won't get one!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Oh please do it Cuban! This will just wreck their chemistry and make them worse! LOL Cuban always trying to buy championships!:rollin:rollin

ElNono
12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
tbh, if Mavs get Melo and don't win it all, you just gotta call it quits.

Would be an impressive move if Cubes pulls it out. We staaaaaacked wouldn't do that team justice.

weebo
12-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Dallas doesn't have anything Denver would want, aside from expiring contracts.

j.dizzle
12-22-2010, 02:00 AM
I think Cuban looked at his most recent bank statements & thought to himself.."Sheeeet ,i'm richhhh bitchhhhhh" hahaha gotta go all out while you have Dirk.

TE
12-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Fuck fear, Drink Beer

:toast

Fpoonsie
12-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Dallas doesn't have anything Denver would want, aside from expiring contracts.

...didjoo READ the article?

RedsLakers24
12-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Lakers are trading Bynum + Artest for Melo and Nene.

rayray2k8
12-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Somehow I see Chandler being included in this trade if Melo were to go to Dallas. Wouldn't be a bad deal since Chandler has been injury prone. Bounce Butler, Chandler and Haywood for Nene and Melo.

rayray2k8
12-22-2010, 05:07 AM
It worked.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=295vd56

sribb43
12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Like it was said earlier, mavs don't have enough of what Denver is looking for. Other than Beaubois, Mavs can't offer anymore young talent that is A-level and their 1st round picks would be basically 2nd rounders. Nuggets would want more from mavs bc they are in the west.

buttsR4rebounding
12-22-2010, 06:45 AM
If Dallas had to include Chandler in the trade they would lose as much on the defensive end as they gain on the offensive end. Melo is one of the best scorers in the league, but Chandler IMO makes the Dallas defense formidable. I guess you don't want to pass on the opportunity to pick up a Top 10 NBA player, but Dallas has got something really good working this year and if they do this trade and lose to the Spurs or Lakers anyway Cuban would never hear the end of it.

Basketballgirl25
12-22-2010, 08:22 AM
from what I read and heard, would Dallas really want to trade players helping them so far for Melo and ruin all the chemistery?

urunobili
12-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Butler, Marion and Beaubois and whatever for Melodrama

sefant77
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
No way they throw Chandler in a Anthony rental.

Butler/Stevenson/Roddy/Ajinca for Anthony/Anderson. Maybe add useless Balkman for a TE. Add maybe picks/Dojo and 3 million in cash for a Stevenson buyout. Then re-sign him after a month.

That should be the maximum offer and Anthony keep on playing hardball and declining the "Nets with extension" i see Denver going for such trades. Dumping salary and adding at least some talents and picks.

Kidd/Barea
Stevenson/Terry
Anthony/Marion
Dirk/Marion/Birdman
Chandler/Haywood/Birdman

Damn lol

cheguevara
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
it's sad that mavericks organization still doesnt think they have a contender in their hands.

DPG21920
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Don't think in the box. Other teams would be involved to add talent to the deal if this were to happen. I honestly don't see it though. Melo, for all of his perceived posturing, is not going to decline an extension. If that's the case, the mavs are likely out.

weebo
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
...didjoo READ the article?

Don't have too. No reason for Denver to trade Melo to Dallas for role players, expiring contracts, or late first round picks, when they can get more from the Nets.

Phillip
12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Dallas doesn't need him. They have great chemistry. No need to mess with that. The return of Roddy may fill the biggest hole that this team has, which is a guy that can penetrate and score easy buckets when shots aren't falling for everyone else. If he can at least play at the level he played at last year, the Mavs will be just fine. I mean he is their second most skilled scorer, he hasn't played a game, and they are still 23-5. Barring injury, things can only go up from here with the return of Roddy. H e needs about 20-25 minutes a game, which should easily be providable, by taking away some minutes from Kidd, Terry, and Barea. Dirk needs to have his minutes reduced a bit too, which would be much more doable with Roddy's return as when Dirk leaves the court, they have another legit scoring threat, so then they can play Marion a little more at the 4, either have Butler playing the 3, or slide Stevenson to the 3, with Roddy and one of the other three guards (Kidd, Barea, Terry) out there.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I'd jizz my pants if it happened, but it won't happen. and it still isn't a guarantee they'll beat SA/LA/BOS with Carmelo.

SpursDynasty85
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Mark Cuban trying to buy more championships. This really is sad..

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM

More? What do you mean more??? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao because they don't even have one yet :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, it's nothing but a typical Mark Cuban.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Why is gray spurfan getting all preemptively asshurt over this? The Mavs have no shot at getting Carmelo.

yeah just like they have no shot at a title ever!!!!!! :lmao :lmao :lmao

Nick Manning
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Not going to happen. Non-issue

Blake
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
yeah just like they have no shot at a title ever!!!!!!

+1

JamStone
12-22-2010, 12:27 PM
A Melo rental would be worth it for the Mavs, but as many have mentioned the Mavs don't exactly have much to offer the Nuggets. Melo fits with Dirk since Melo can work the midpost to Dirk out on the perimeter for a really impressive 2 man game on offense. I don't think the defense suffers that much and the pros on offense outweigh the fact that Melo isn't a great defender. Beaubois isn't that much of a trade asset for the Nuggets imo because the Nuggets would likely rather get young talent in the front court. With Lawson and Afflalo, the need for an undersized shooting guard isn't really there. And Dallas doesn't have high draft picks to entice a deal to work. But if the Mavs could work out a deal, I think they should definitely do it even though they're playing really well so far. Adding Melo definitely helps their chances.

Greg Oden
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
the overflow of gray spurfans so far this season is vomit inducing.

BUMP
12-22-2010, 12:39 PM

TBH, this is a great take, imho

Phillip
12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
if they do it, three guys that needs to be off limits for this trade are Dirk, Chandler, and Kidd. Dirk and Kidd are pretty much not going to be touched obviously, but I'd be really pissed if they included Chandler in the deal, unless we got Nene back, but even then, I'd rather have Chandler. His effect on the team on both sides of the ball is worth an awful lot. If they could pull the trade off for Butler, Roddy, picks/filler/cash, or something along those lines (obviously NOT going to happen) then I'd be happy.

Basketball Jones
12-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Won't matter. Dirk will still choke.

Roddy Beaubois
12-22-2010, 02:26 PM
it's sad that mavericks organization still doesnt think they have a contender in their hands.

Do you think they do?

Fpoonsie
12-22-2010, 02:44 PM
I really can't see them sending Chandler away. It's obvious to even the most casual GNSF that Tyson has been the difference for them this year. They've never had such a dominant presence inside, especially one w/ such athleticism (sans Ian "Chamberlain" Mahinmi).

Stephenson has been playin his ass off this year, so his addition in a trade might make things interesting...

JamStone
12-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Would be pointless for the Nuggets to demand Chandler. He's an expiring and almost certainly wouldn't want to stay in Denver especially with Melo gone. And if it's about the "expiring contract," the Mavs have other expirings in Butler and Stevenson to do the same thing. The Mavs don't have the pieces, but if they were somehow able to strike a deal, I don't think they would need to part with Chandler.

toki9
12-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Sometimes I think Cuban is his own worst enemy...

Cane
12-22-2010, 03:09 PM
The Mavs are seemingly always poised to enter in huge trades which shows ya how flexible that organization is. I'd love to see a scoring talent like Melo get set up by Jason Kidd and double teams on Dirk except when they're playing against the Spurs...with Melo on board the Mavs would be the best team in the league especially if they can somehow keep both Haywood and Chandler too.

Shank
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

They should tank for the #1 pick. That's so much more respectable.

Phillip
12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
The Mavs are seemingly always poised to enter in huge trades which shows ya how flexible that organization is. I'd love to see a scoring talent like Melo get set up by Jason Kidd and double teams on Dirk except when they're playing against the Spurs...with Melo on board the Mavs would be the best team in the league especially if they can somehow keep both Haywood and Chandler too.

If they pulled off a trade where they keep Kidd, Dirk, Chandler, and Haywood, I would then jizz my pants.

Fpoonsie
12-22-2010, 03:21 PM
If they pulled off a trade where they keep Kidd, Dirk, Chandler, and Haywood, I would then jizz my pants.

You wanna KEEP Haywood? I thought he was DAL's favorite whipping boy this season...? (of course, whipping him WITH the lifeless body of JJ)

Phillip
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
You wanna KEEP Haywood? I thought he was DAL's favorite whipping boy this season...? (of course, whipping him WITH the lifeless body of JJ)

Truth is, not many teams have a pair of starting-caliber centers. Haywood's issue is simply that he feels slighted that he didn't get the starting job. But there is no questioning that he has ability and is a quality center in the NBA. It's hard enough getting one, much less two. For there to be an issue over centers, the issue being that you have two starting caliber centers is a pretty nice issue to have.

Phillip
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
But I do like Mahinimi at the same time. He always produces when on the floor, even in non-garbage time minutes. If they lost Haywood, I am confident that Mahinimi can still give quality backup center minutes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Mahinmi-Dirk-Anthony = frontcourt domination.

BUMP
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM

In order to beat LA, you need a formidable lineup down low, and that is why Haywood is so valuable. He does play pretty good post defense and that's all the Mavs really need from him.

Findog
12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think the Mavs should mess with what they have. I hate to be like Charlie Brown kicking a football, but the Mavs look like a legitimate championship contender at this point.

Phillip
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think the Mavs should mess with what they have. I hate to be like Charlie Brown kicking a football, but the Mavs look like a legitimate championship contender at this point.

I agree. I think adding Roddy would bring the #1 missing element, which is a guy who can penetrate and hit open jumpers consistently to relieve offensive pressure from Dirk throughout the game, especially while Dirk is out.

clambake
12-22-2010, 03:51 PM

its all over when terry can't hit jumpers......and we know that time is coming.

Fpoonsie
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
But I do like Mahinimi at the same time. He always produces when on the floor, even in non-garbage time minutes. If they lost Haywood, I am confident that Mahinimi can still give quality backup center minutes.

Watchin Ian on the sidelines last night leading the cheering section on the bench, you could tell he's much happier there. That energy and enthusiasm (something he understandably lacked in SA) can only benefit him on the court...

:depressed

bostonguy
12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Roddy is being relied on too much.To just expect him to be the clear cut #2 guy on a nightly basis is expecting way too much. If the Mavs just stand pat, they will be good enough to compete but not seriously contend. They have the D and the superstar, but they lack that #2 guy.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
its all over when terry can't hit jumpers......and we know that time is coming.

Exactly. Just look at the turds Terry/Butler/everyone but Dirk dropped last season. If you go into this postseason expecting anything different, you're a fool.

The Mavericks absolutely have to have another guaranteed 20+ pt scorer alongside Dirk in the playoffs. Can Roddy be that guy? Nobody knows. Carmelo is a sure thing.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 04:36 PM
This is such a no-brainer it's not even funny. I trade Roddy in a heartbeat for Carmelo. Even if Carmelo doesn't re-sign, it's worth it. Fuck the future, go for it right now.

DeadlyDynasty
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
This is such a no-brainer it's not even funny. I trade Roddy in a heartbeat for Carmelo. Even if Carmelo doesn't re-sign, it's worth it. Fuck the future, go for it right now.

Desperate much?

DPG21920
12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
You don't have to be desperate to state the obvious. If you can get Melo you do it. The Mavs future isn't really that bright, so there is not much sacrifice in that regard. It's not like they have stock piled legit young NBA players. They are in win now mode.

Melo would be a huge upgrade and it would finally give them two legit "1.5" options. They need another perimeter play maker who can create for himself and others. Melo easily fits that bill.

I would be extremely worried if the Mavs pulled this trade off while keeping Dirk/Kidd/Chandler

DeadlyDynasty
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
You don't have to be desperate to state the obvious. If you can get Melo you do it. The Mavs future isn't really that bright, so there is not much sacrifice in that regard. It's not like they have stock piled legit young NBA players. They are in win now mode.

Melo would be a huge upgrade and it would finally give them two legit "1.5" options. They need another perimeter play maker who can create for himself and others. Melo easily fits that bill.

I would be extremely worried if the Mavs pulled this trade off while keeping Dirk/Kidd/Chandler

It is obvious, I was referring to the possibility of mortgaging the future for one real shot at it

DPG21920
12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
What future? Like I said, it's not like they have a young Big 3 they would have to blow up in order to do this and the only conceivable young talent they would have to give up is Roddy. That does nothing to their future.

BRHornet45
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Sons Melo doesn't want to play for Cubes white boy team

Chillen
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Why would Denver want to trade Melo to a Western Conference team? Really, why would they want to make Dallas better. If the Lakers offered a package for Melo why would they want to make any team out West better. Look what happened with the Gasol trade, you trade a talented player to your own conference and it could impact you more than it helps. If he get's traded it's to the Eastern Conference, so I don't see it happening unless the Lakers offered Kobe or the Mavericks offered Dirk for Melo. Or Bynum/Artest for Melo or something like that, really Denver should just keep him and trade him out East at the deadline if he won't resign next year.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Desperate much?

Not every team can offer table scraps and get back Pau Gasol. We'll actually have to give up something decent for a great player.

Findog
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM

yeah it all depends on keeping the core that has gotten them to this point. I never thought Tyson Chandler would have this kind of impact, but a guy who can protect the rim like that really covers a lot of deficiencies. Plus they are well-coached and the zone is well-executed. The three guys you mentioned would definitely be off-limits.

DeadlyDynasty
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Not every team can offer table scraps and get back Pau Gasol. We'll actually have to give up something decent for a great player.

Cubes is a crafty businessman...I'm sure he could finagle a sketchy trade.

Dark Gable
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Mavs will still not win a championship.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Cubes is a crafty businessman...I'm sure he could finagle a sketchy trade.

Last I checked Rolando Blackman wasn't running the show in Denver, so it's doubtful.

DPG21920
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
yeah it all depends on keeping the core that has gotten them to this point. I never thought Tyson Chandler would have this kind of impact, but a guy who can protect the rim like that really covers a lot of deficiencies. Plus they are well-coached and the zone is well-executed. The three guys you mentioned would definitely be off-limits.

It is amazing what being healthy can do for a player. Chandler looked done. No one expected him to look this good. He is a perfect piece to move the Mavs in the right direction.

Imagine if OKC would have completed that trade and was patient. Imagine if this Chandler was on OKC. That would be scary.

monosylab1k
12-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Imagine if OKC would have completed that trade and was patient. Imagine if this Chandler was on OKC. That would be scary.

:wow I forgot all about that.

DeadlyDynasty
12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Last I checked Rolando Blackman wasn't running the show in Denver, so it's doubtful.

True, never underestimate the value of networking.

http://www.educationalliance.org/Images/Jerry-West.jpg

mavs>spurs
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
melo plays no D. he would be a reliable #2 scoring option surely but that would be well negated by his poor defense. why add another defensive liability when you already have a number of them?

Phillip
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Roddy is being relied on too much.To just expect him to be the clear cut #2 guy on a nightly basis is expecting way too much. If the Mavs just stand pat, they will be good enough to compete but not seriously contend. They have the D and the superstar, but they lack that #2 guy.

No one is expecting him to immediately be the #2 guy. Just another guy to take some of the offensive load off of Dirk. He most definitely is the 2nd most skilled offensive player on the team though, and has shown he can score points in basically every way except posting up (which isn't expected from small guards like him). Dude can penetrate at will, finish extremely well, shoot set up shots from any spot on the court, shoot quick pullups, shoot fadeaways, shoot while being contested... the dude has a very nice offensive arsenal.

mavs>spurs
12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
joe johnson & iggy would be more practical targets imo.

Ace
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM

MiamiHeat
12-22-2010, 07:07 PM
if I was a Mavs fan, I would be on Cuban's blogs or e-mail or whatever, and beg the fucker to do this

Muser
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Mav-elous Man
12-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Dirk has never had another player the cliber of Carmello to play with. Dirk gets alot of unfair criticism but he hasn't had that other go to guy that all championship teams have. It would be interesting to see how that works although I'm not sure Melo is the right fit for this team.

HeavyWeight
12-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Are you ----ing kidding me?

u4lakers14
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Yup, he and Dirk can take turns running iso's all day..while our new backcourt of jjb and jet get run train on, letting their man blow past them and racking up fouls on myself :lol

actually, im pretty sure you are cubans currency to land a great player like melo.

(you, butler, and roddy, for melo)

you could be the great hershal walker trade of the dallas mavericks

Harry Callahan
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
George Karl is not sending Carmelo to a Western Conference team for flotsam and jetsam. Expiring contracts without anything of substance is not exactly a good deal.

If dallas truly wants to blow up a pretty good team right now for a team cancer like Carmelo Anthony, go for it.

Mark Cuban's impatience would once again get the best of him. Look at all of the blockbuster deals bringing in "Big" names. Antoine Walker, Jamison, Caron Butler, Jason Kidd for the second time, on and on. These deals destroy chemistry and in the end set you back.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Harry Callahan
12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Denver would probably need to get Roddy B in any Mavie-Nugget deal so he could be Ty Lawson's backup at the point.