PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger Power Rankings

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 06:43 AM
i know i know.. it's john hollinger.. but spurs ranked behind miami heat?

:rollin:rollin:rollin

i wish i were making this up...

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1858/20102011hollingerpowerr.png

AussieFanKurt
12-22-2010, 06:52 AM
lol at this

Darkwaters
12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey, when you play in the Leastern Conference all of your stats are going to be inflated. Look at the New York Knicks.

emanueldavidginobili
12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
thats fucking ridiculous, all of our stats are mainly the same that they show on there and their on a 1 game losing streak and were on a 9 game winning streak!.even thought the heat were on a 12 game winning streak doesnt really matter we should be in front of them mainly because we have the best record in the league and obviously number one in the west

Rummpd
12-22-2010, 07:24 AM
His system is biased based on SOS and point differential and it discounts winning percentage = it will all even out if Spurs do well next 8 games for what it is worth.

Texas Chili Dog
12-22-2010, 07:36 AM
The Spurs should be ahead of Miami. But the Mavs also should be. Mavs have already beaten the cHeat twice. Let's see...the Mavs are also 1-0 against the Celtics, 1-0 vs the Spurs, 2-0 vs the Jazz, 1-0 vs the Thunder. Overall Dallas is 7-0 against the other 6 teams that are in the top 7 record-wise in the league. And 12-3 against teams currently above .500.

Hollinger can use whatever idiotic formula he wants, but the real power teams thus far are Boston, SA, and Dallas. Pick your order.

Darkwaters
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
The Spurs should be ahead of Miami. But the Mavs also should be. Mavs have already beaten the cHeat twice. Let's see...the Mavs are also 1-0 against the Celtics, 1-0 vs the Spurs, 2-0 vs the Jazz, 1-0 vs the Thunder. Overall Dallas is 7-0 against the other 6 teams that are in the top 7 record-wise in the league. And 12-3 against teams currently above .500.

Hollinger can use whatever idiotic formula he wants, but the real power teams thus far are Boston, SA, and Dallas. Pick your order.

Granted. The Mavs are way too low.

Crytek
12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
His system is biased based on SOS and point differential and it discounts winning percentage.

Mostly Point Differential, if you check the formula.

HOLLINGER'S FORMULA
RATING = (((SOS-0.5)/0.037)*0.67) + (((SOSL10-0.5)/0.037)*0.33) + 100 + (0.67*(MARG+(((ROAD-HOME)*3.5)/(GAMES))) + (0.33*(MARGL10+(((ROAD10-HOME10)*3.5)/(10)))))

SOS = Season win/loss percentage of team's opponents, expressed as a decimal (e.g., .500)
SOSL10 = Season win/loss percentage of team's last 10 opponents, expressed as a decimal (e.g., .500)
MARG = Team's average scoring margin
MARGL10 = Team's average scoring margin over the last 10 games
HOME = Team's home games
HOMEL10 = Team's home games over the last 10 games
ROAD = Team's road games
ROADL10 = Team's road games over the last 10 games
GAMES = Team's total games I think i've read somewhere that Point Differential has a 74% accuracy in projecting future success. So, it's a good indicator.

However, Winning Percentage has a 77% accuracy, :rollin.

[/quite possibly totally made up]

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 09:01 AM
lol we can be 3rd.. i dont care.. if anything mavs are gettin' the most robbed..

if i did this.. i would say .. boston 1 / mavs 2 / spurs 3

spurspokesman
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Funny

Mr. Body
12-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Bulls above the Lakers?

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
lakers have had a cheesecake schedule.. by the way ppl have been talkin' about them.. they should be undefeated :lol:

Mr. Body
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I missed how they lost against the Bucks last night. Sheesh.

Sense
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
It's all based on HIS stats, chill the fuck out and stop crying about his retarded rankings.

spizzle_tronk
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
u mad
so mad

Cry Havoc
12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
It's good that we've never had a thread ridiculing Hollinger for his power rankings before. Definitely not about 30 times per season. Nope. This is a new topic.

jeebus
12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Bulls above the Lakers?
They won by like 50 points last night, it was bound to happen.

The Hype get ranked so high because of the fuzzy math by Trollinger.

fyatuk
12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Mostly Point Differential, if you check the formula.

I think i've read somewhere that Point Differential has a 74% accuracy in projecting future success. So, it's a good indicator.

However, Winning Percentage has a 77% accuracy, :rollin.

[/quite possibly totally made up]

Point differential is supposed to be an extremely good indicator for success in the playoffs.

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM
It's good that we've never had a thread ridiculing Hollinger for his power rankings before. Definitely not about 30 times per season. Nope. This is a new topic.

awesome.. look i added a pic too.. isn't that neat?

stnick2261
12-22-2010, 11:00 AM
His ranking are weighted for the last 10 games... we've had some buzzer beaters and barely scraped by a bit... and we're still one of the best.

Yeah, Miami just lost... but over the past 10 games, they've been slightly better...... slightly

doldrums
12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I actually agree with it. When Dallas had the best record in the NBA and proceeded to lose in the first round to Golden State, their fans were up in arms that the Hollinger model had them ranked third.coming into the playoffs.

K-State Spur
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I actually agree with it. When Dallas had the best record in the NBA and proceeded to lose in the first round to Golden State, their fans were up in arms that the Hollinger model had them ranked third.coming into the playoffs.

Which was still well ahead of Golden State...so what's your point?

BlairForceDejuan
12-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Stats are for losers.

gospursgojas
12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Do we really need 2 threads a day about how Hollinger's rankings are a joke?

This is not news.

SpursDynasty85
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Do we really need 2 threads a day about how Hollinger's rankings are a joke?

Hollinger's rankings actually have been a very good indicator of playoff success in recent years.

I agree that the Heat should be ranked high. Rankings are supposed to be about who the better team is, not who had the best season. You guys can disagree because the rankings are based on the whole season, but Miami has played the most dominant basketball the past few weeks.

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I love these threads because I know who I can ignore from now on by virtue of utter ignorance.

"HERP DERP LOLLINGER GOSH DERN THINKS THE HEAT R BETTER THAN US WASSUP WIT DAT YO?"

"OH LOL ITS HOLLINGER THAT MEENS AUTOMATICULY IGNOR HIM BECUZ HES JUST STOOOOPID LOL"

It's a god damned formula you insignificant plebes. It's a formula that was never touted to be perfect (because that's literally/humanly impossible). It's a formula that stresses correct variables based on historical fact.

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I love these threads because I know who I can ignore from now on by virtue of utter ignorance.

"HERP DERP LOLLINGER GOSH DERN THINKS THE HEAT R BETTER THAN US WASSUP WIT DAT YO?"

"OH LOL ITS HOLLINGER THAT MEENS AUTOMATICULY IGNOR HIM BECUZ HES JUST STOOOOPID LOL"

It's a god damned formula you insignificant plebes. It's a formula that was never touted to be perfect (because that's literally/humanly impossible). It's a formula that stresses correct variables based on historical fact.

i love these posts because i know who i can ignore from now on by virtue of utter ignorance.

what happened to OH LOL DERP IT'S A THREAD TO DISCUSS ABOUT THE VALIDITY WHY OR WHY NOT WE THINK IT'S ODD THAT WE'RE RANKED BEHIND MIAMI?

i always thought discussion about topics was what a forum is for and that's why i posted the latest power rankings.. to discuss them.. especially why we're behind miami. i guess it's too bad im not like some ppl who like to circle jerk around same old boring agreement

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
i love these posts because i know who i can ignore from now on by virtue of utter ignorance.

what happened to OH LOL DERP IT'S A THREAD TO DISCUSS ABOUT THE VALIDITY WHY OR WHY NOT WE THINK IT'S ODD THAT WE'RE RANKED BEHIND MIAMI?

i always thought discussion about topics was what a forum is for and that's why i posted the latest power rankings.. to discuss them.. especially why we're behind miami. i guess it's too bad im not like some ppl who like to circle jerk around same old boring agreement

It's not odd you insignificant zero, and you'd easily understand that if you took 2 seconds to actually read Hollinger's explanation on how the formula works.

Miami has a higher overall scoring margin, a higher recent (last 10 games) scoring margin, and an overall strength of schedule equal to that of the spurs, a slightly tougher recent strength of schedule (last 10 games), and they've played 4 more games on the road than the spurs.

It makes sense to argue about inherently subjective rankings (Stein's, nba power rankings, cbs power rankings, etc.). It makes little sense to question the placement of teams on a ranking system that is entirely automated because it's a formula that spits out a number. That's the fundamental difference here.

The fact that you're incapable of going to the site, reading his explanation, and then figuring out why Miami is ranked above the spurs is just laughable. It's fucking obvious you idiot. Look at the rankings, read up as to how they are formulated (as well as the rationale for placing as much emphasis on certain variables as Hollinger does) and figure it out yourself.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Rankings-Intro&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dRankings-Intro

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
It's not odd you insignificant zero, and you'd easily understand that if you took 2 seconds to actually read Hollinger's explanation on how the formula works.

Miami has a higher overall scoring margin, a higher recent (last 10 games) scoring margin, and an overall strength of schedule equal to that of the spurs, a slightly tougher recent strength of schedule (last 10 games), and they've played 4 more games on the road than the spurs.

It makes sense to argue about inherently subjective rankings (Stein's, nba power rankings, cbs power rankings, etc.). It makes little sense to question the placement of teams on a ranking system that is entirely automated because it's a formula that spits out a number. That's the fundamental difference here.

The fact that you're incapable of going to the site, reading his explanation, and then figuring out why Miami is ranked above the spurs is just laughable. It's fucking obvious you idiot. Look at the rankings, read up as to how they are formulated (as well as the rationale for placing as much emphasis on certain variables as Hollinger does) and figure it out yourself.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Rankings-Intro&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dRankings-Intro

lol it's clear you're some castrated hipster who has nothing better to do than call people names online and act like you're some kind of e-thug.. so lemme save you sometime by saying i could give 2 shits about what you think..

contrary to popular belief, i do know hollinger doesn't just throw darts at his dartboard and pick whatever team it lands on.. i could already see why he put miami so high.. it shows right there on the chart.. strength of schedule, winning pct, etc.. i just don't agree with it and i already posted my stance on that.. what i expect people to do is agree or disagree as to his latest power rankings and post why they do so.. not whine like little bitches over a thread because unlike you we don't accept his formula and swallow it.

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 02:00 PM
lol it's clear you're some castrated hipster who has nothing better to do than call people names online and act like you're some kind of e-thug.. so lemme save you sometime by saying i could give 2 shits about what you think..

contrary to popular belief, i do know hollinger doesn't just throw darts at his dartboard and pick whatever team it lands on.. i could already see why he put miami so high.. it shows right there on the chart.. strength of schedule, winning pct, etc.. i just don't agree with it and i already posted my stance on that.. what i expect people to do is agree or disagree as to his latest power rankings and post why they do so.. not whine like little bitches over a thread because unlike you we don't accept his formula and swallow it.

You're literally disagreeing with a formula that nobody claimed was perfect from the get go, and that's why you look fucking retarded right now.

If you want to disagree with Hollinger's rankings in a sensible way, you'd realize that you should offer either modifications to the formula (along with your rationale), or offer up an entirely new (quantitative) formula, or offer up some key statistic that you think is being ignored that shouldn't be ignored.

You didn't do any of this. You posted the rankings, downplayed his name as if that has any bearing on the argument ("I know...it's john hollinger") and called it a day. You're a fucking turbo-chode and you didn't provide an interesting or useful take on the issue. Get over it.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
How are the Bulls in front of the Mavericks? Easily one of the worst Power Rankings I've ever seen.

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
You're literally disagreeing with a formula that nobody claimed was perfect from the get go, and that's why you look fucking retarded right now.

If you want to disagree with Hollinger's rankings in a sensible way, you'd realize that you should offer either modifications to the formula (along with your rationale), or offer up an entirely new (quantitative) formula, or offer up some key statistic that you think is being ignored that shouldn't be ignored.

You didn't do any of this. You posted the rankings, downplayed his name as if that has any bearing on the argument ("I know...it's john hollinger") and called it a day. You're a fucking turbo-chode and you didn't provide an interesting or useful take on the issue. Get over it.

lol i'm literally disagreeing with a formula because i can and you're the one getting butthurt over my ability to think form an opinion and discuss about it on an online forum meant for discussion.

first of all did i say it was perfect? no.. so please don't put words in my mouth, it's a power ranking system designed by john hollinger. and by your logic then, if i created some formula for my power ranking system and posted it online, showing that the orlando magic are #1.. will people who read it become stupid for disagreeing with it and discussing why? and who are you to say i should offer some better formula when all you've done to side with him is just sit there and make up names like turbo-chode? let me guess, you probably also think those people who post comments on espn about the power rankings are turbo-chodes too huh?

well.. since you can't comprehend the intent behind my first post then i'll spell it out for you.. i think it's fuckin ridiculous to rank miami ahead of san antonio and dallas right now.. what you're saying is im disagreeing with a formula.. well? how'd that formula get there? someone made it up dude.. it doesn't prove anything factual.. even though he predicts playoff teams or whatever i had an opinion and i stated it.. you agree or disagree.. and yet you still go on and skirt around the issue like it's un-debatable.. i know you either have brain damage or have no opinion on the power rankings itself since you're apparently used to taking everything handed to you like a chump. i can already see you're the catcher in your relationship..

but i have a little suggestion for you as i do this myself.. if you have no interest in the thread.. it's quite simple.. don't post in it.. you're the one lookin' like a fuckin retard right now.. oh look another opinion.. are you going to debate that one too or fuckin' accept it? bitch?

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
How are the Bulls in front of the Mavericks? Easily one of the worst Power Rankings I've ever seen.

careful.. you're not allowed to disagree.. it's someones formula.. just accept it.. or big bad jestersmash will come for you too :(

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
lol i'm literally disagreeing with a formula because i can and you're the one getting butthurt over my ability to think form an opinion and discuss about it on an online forum meant for discussion.

first of all did i say it was perfect? no.. so please don't put words in my mouth, it's a power ranking system designed by john hollinger. and by your logic then, if i created some formula for my power ranking system and posted it online, showing that the orlando magic are #1.. will people who read it become stupid for disagreeing with it and discussing why? and who are you to say i should offer some better formula when all you've done to side with him is just sit there and make up names like turbo-chode? let me guess, you probably also think those people who post comments on espn about the power rankings are turbo-chodes too huh?

well.. since you can't comprehend the intent behind my first post then i'll spell it out for you.. i think it's fuckin ridiculous to rank miami ahead of san antonio and dallas right now.. what you're saying is im disagreeing with a formula.. well? how'd that formula get there? someone made it up dude.. it doesn't prove anything factual.. even though he predicts playoff teams or whatever i had an opinion and i stated it.. you agree or disagree.. and yet you still go on and skirt around the issue like it's un-debatable.. i know you either have brain damage or have no opinion on the power rankings itself since you're apparently used to taking everything handed to you like a chump. i can already see you're the catcher in your relationship..

but i have a little suggestion for you as i do this myself.. if you have no interest in the thread.. it's quite simple.. don't post in it.. you're the one lookin' like a fuckin retard right now.. oh look another opinion.. are you going to debate that one too or fuckin' accept it? bitch?

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5742/umadl.gif

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
how'd that formula get there? someone made it up dude..

Dear fucking lord the level of idiocy and ignorance here is just. Wow.

Yeah he just made it up out of thin air.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

WeNeedLength
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Guys come on...

http://i.imgur.com/cer2x.jpg

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Dear fucking lord the level of idiocy and ignorance here is just. Wow.

Yeah he just made it up out of thin air.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
wow... just wow... omg you're right what was i thinking.. he didn't just make the formula.. it was actually there all along and he just slaps his name on top of it and calls it his..

now im speaking your language eh?

lol @ umad.gif strategy.. u got nothin' else to say? u can call me turbo chode again if u want brah :(

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
wow... just wow... omg you're right what was i thinking.. he didn't just make the formula.. it was actually there all along and he just slaps his name on top of it and calls it his..

now im speaking your language eh?

lol @ umad.gif strategy.. u got nothin' else to say? u can call me turbo chode again if u want brah :(

I have no interest in bringing some clueless help desk rep up to speed on concepts of mathematical models, their limitations, and sensible/meaningful/intelligent ways to criticize them, especially when the totality of your argument is that you disagree because "it's fuckin' ridiculous."

We sure learned a lot there. "It's fuckin' ridiculous?" Wow! You don't say? It's fuckin' ridiculous for Miami to be above Spurs? Oh, it's Hollinger who created the rankings? Excellent fucking rebuttal.

Someone get this chode a job with ESPN and fire Hollinger ASAP. With brilliant takes like "it's fuckin' ridiculous" I can't believe we didn't see his genius sooner.

jimo2305
12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I have no interest in bringing some clueless help desk rep up to speed on concepts of mathematical models, their limitations, and sensible/meaningful/intelligent ways to criticize them, especially when the totality of your argument is that you disagree because "it's fuckin' ridiculous."

We sure learned a lot there. "It's fuckin' ridiculous?" Wow! You don't say? It's fuckin' ridiculous for Miami to be above Spurs? Oh, it's Hollinger who created the rankings? Excellent fucking rebuttal.

Someone get this chode a job with ESPN and fire Hollinger ASAP. With brilliant takes like "it's fuckin' ridiculous" I can't believe we didn't see his genius sooner.
lmao whatta fuckin nerd.. btw.. u and weneedlength must be real cool after u just let him post your pic.. like i said.. it IS fuckin ridiculous.. i know that makes no sense to you because you don't probably don't watch the games and with your help, we've already proven you're incapable of forming nor even understanding what an opinion is.. so anyway i'm curious.. what else you do on your free time besides make up words like turbochode?

Spurologist
12-22-2010, 03:13 PM
It's all based on HIS stats, chill the fuck out and stop crying about his retarded rankings.

exactly....:tu for sense

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
lmao whatta fuckin nerd.. btw.. u and weneedlength must be real cool after u just let him post your pic.. like i said.. it IS fuckin ridiculous.. i know that makes no sense to you because you don't probably don't watch the games and with your help, we've already proven you're incapable of forming nor even understanding what an opinion is.. so anyway i'm curious.. what else you do on your free time besides make up words like turbochode?

Please continue...