PDA

View Full Version : Which young NBA stars do you think will fall off?

Trill Clinton
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
There is a lot of talent in the NBA but with all the Jordan's and Duncan's there will always be players like Derrick Coleman and T Mac. Who do you think will fall off due to injury or laziness?

I'd have to go with Brandon Roy and Demarcus Cousins. Roy has the bad knee and Cousins is Derrick Coleman 2.0.

JamStone
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Don't consider DeMarcus Cousins a young "star" yet. He has to actually make his mark as a quality NBA player before he "falls off." Otherwise it's more like Eddy Curry than Derrick Coleman.

I'd say I think Brandon Jennings will end up more like TJ Ford than Kenny Anderson. His rookie season was pretty impressive considering expectations, but he's a three point chucker and while he's a pretty good playmaker, I don't think his style is conducive to helping his team consistently win games. That team is built around Bogut but I can see Jennings trying to be a superstar and hurting the team more than helping.

I'd also say Rudy Gay. All the talent in the world but doesn't seem to be the type of personality who is engaged and determined to maximize his talent to be really great. He does get lost in Memphis and because he's there for another 5-6 years, I think his motivation will wane and he'll just be another athletic wing player who is just good enough to be a borderline all star but never in the neighborhood of perennially great players in the league.

Lastly, Brook Lopez. We're seeing it already. Had a lot of hype in his rookie season for his ability to score and emerge as a really up and coming big man in the league. He's averaging like 6 rebounds a game despite playing 35 minutes a game. And he's shooting 45% from the field. He's like Jermaine O'Neal once injuries caught up to him, minus the defense. I thought he was overhyped as a rookie but people convinced me he was going to be good. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now I think I may have been right thinking he wasn't as good as people thought he was going to be. When you're a dominant big man, someone capable of putting up 20/10, your team shouldn't be bad, much less be one of the worst teams in the history of the game like the Nets were last year. I think his star has definitely lost some shine.

Glenn Holland
12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
http://skeptisys.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/gregoden2.jpg

Trill Clinton
12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Don't consider DeMarcus Cousins a young "star" yet. He has to actually make his mark as a quality NBA player before he "falls off." Otherwise it's more like Eddy Curry than Derrick Coleman.

I'd say I think Brandon Jennings will end up more like TJ Ford than Kenny Anderson. His rookie season was pretty impressive considering expectations, but he's a three point chucker and while he's a pretty good playmaker, I don't think his style is conducive to helping his team consistently win games. That team is built around Bogut but I can see Jennings trying to be a superstar and hurting the team more than helping.

I'd also say Rudy Gay. All the talent in the world but doesn't seem to be the type of personality who is engaged and determined to maximize his talent to be really great. He does get lost in Memphis and because he's there for another 5-6 years, I think his motivation will wane and he'll just be another athletic wing player who is just good enough to be a borderline all star but never in the neighborhood of perennially great players in the league.

Lastly, Brook Lopez. We're seeing it already. Had a lot of hype in his rookie season for his ability to score and emerge as a really up and coming big man in the league. He's averaging like 6 rebounds a game despite playing 35 minutes a game. And he's shooting 45% from the field. He's like Jermaine O'Neal once injuries caught up to him, minus the defense. I thought he was overhyped as a rookie but people convinced me he was going to be good. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now I think I may have been right thinking he wasn't as good as people thought he was going to be. When you're a dominant big man, someone capable of putting up 20/10, your team shouldn't be bad, much less be one of the worst teams in the history of the game like the Nets were last year. I think his star has definitely lost some shine.

I agree with Jennings. It would help if he had a veteran there to teach him the position, but like you said he's a chucker. That's all he knows, he hasn't learned how to be a true pg yet.

Oh and I have to throw John Wall in this discussion as well.

WeNeedLength
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kobe-Bryant-White-Photoshoot-LA-Times.jpg

Venti Quattro
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kobe-Bryant-White-Photoshoot-LA-Times.jpg

lol grey spurfan with an intelligent, classy reply to the topic.

so typical :cry

jestersmash
12-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Tyreke Evans. He's turning into the volume shooting chucker, and he's doing it on a terrible team with no playoff hopes. Imagine how poorly he might perform if he actually felt any semblance of pressure.

BlackSwordsMan
12-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Tiago splitter

LnGrrrR
12-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Tyreke Evans. He's turning into the volume shooting chucker, and he's doing it on a terrible team with no playoff hopes. Imagine how poorly he might perform if he actually felt any semblance of pressure.

Good catch.

WeNeedLength
12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
lol grey spurfan with an intelligent, classy reply to the topic.

so typical :cry

And your spamming for the past hour can be considered classy and intelligent? Nigga, please....

Cane
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Lopez isn't much of a star but here ya go:

Robin Lopez - A young big man that already has back issues? Things aren't looking good.

Dwight Howard - Call me crazy but I think this guy has a huge decline in store. Kind of an underrated headcase too - he grabs too many personal fouls, technicals, and he gets emotionally upset and frustrated easily. He'll call out the headcoach, teammates, refs (even on his blog lol) etc. despite having some serious flaws himself. Already he can be single-covered and he lacks fundamental skills across the board whether its passing, scoring (no consistent jumper, FT shot, or double teams= fail for a superstar) and just doesn't seem to have an elite feel of the game.

Also agreed with Jennings, Roy, Evans, and Cousins.

Killakobe81
12-22-2010, 03:39 PM
There is a lot of talent in the NBA but with all the Jordan's and Duncan's there will always be players like Derrick Coleman and T Mac. Who do you think will fall off due to injury or laziness?

I'd have to go with Brandon Roy and Demarcus Cousins. Roy has the bad knee and Cousins is Derrick Coleman 2.0.

Way to go out on a limb ... i pick Yao ming!!!

Just teasing.

My vote? Chris Paul. not because he still wont be effective and not that I think he is done by any stretch. But many on here were STILL arguing he was the best PG (as recent as a few weeks ago) because of his high assist totals and PER ...even though you could watch the 4th quarter of 75% of the games he has played the past two years and can SEE he does not dominate like best NBA point guard MVP candidate should ...Even i thought this season he would be back near the top with Dwill ...but right now Rose has passed him. I still would give him the edge over Parker, Nash rondo and westbrook but i dont know for how much longer. he really needs to step up.

I dont think he will fall-off the map but all those on the Paul is the best PG bar none, nbandwagon will be wayyy off base. I think he has a fight on his hands to remain in the top 5 ...

Killakobe81
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM
BTW I do think he is hurt or less than 100% ....but not saying it.
but if you are playing ...no excuses.

WeNeedLength
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Completely agree about Paul. He has deferred so much that they have actually lost a bunch of games because some of the scrubs he has been passing to on his team can't shoot ::cough:: ARIZA ::cough::. They would definitely have a better record if CP3 nutted up and took this team on his shoulders in the 4th.

history2b
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Derrick Rose

Cry Havoc
Good posts so far in this thread.

Cry Havoc
Derrick Rose

Until that one. :lmao

Trill Clinton
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Way to go out on a limb ... i pick Yao ming!!!

Just teasing.

My vote? Chris Paul. not because he still wont be effective and not that I think he is done by any stretch. But many on here were STILL arguing he was the best PG (as recent as a few weeks ago) because of his high assist totals and PER ...even though you could watch the 4th quarter of 75% of the games he has played the past two years and can SEE he does not dominate like best NBA point guard MVP candidate should ...Even i thought this season he would be back near the top with Dwill ...but right now Rose has passed him. I still would give him the edge over Parker, Nash rondo and westbrook but i dont know for how much longer. he really needs to step up.

I dont think he will fall-off the map but all those on the Paul is the best PG bar none, nbandwagon will be wayyy off base. I think he has a fight on his hands to remain in the top 5 ...

I had to say Roy, he inspired this thread:toast:lol

Interesting you say CP3, but you make some valid points. IA that Rose is better, I picked Rose to win MVP this year. I like Paul's game but I never got on the CP3 bandwagon. I do see a Jason Kidd-type career in is future though.

z0sa
12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Derrick Rose

:rollin

history2b
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Bookmark the thread and bump it in 6-7 years.

I think Derrick is awesome but I see a lack of fundamental point guard skill and an over reliance on unparalleled speed that is entirely based on youth.

Once he loses that, his game will suffer quite a bit just like it did to Marbury, Francis and Iverson before him.

But in the meantime, I love watching that kid play.

tdunk21
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
andrew bum, tyreke evans, demarcus cousins

Rip-Hamilton32
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
John Wall

tdunk21
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM
John Wall

+1....overhyped

Kai
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Players that rely too heavily on athleticism and attacking the rim. Ray Allens last a lot longer in this league than T-Macs. Kobe did a good job adjusting his game when his body started to get older. It's gonna be interesting to see what type of Player LeBron becomes when he gets a little more mileage on those legs.

history2b
12-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Players that rely too heavily on athleticism and attacking the rim. Ray Allens last a lot longer in this league than T-Macs. Kobe did a good job adjusting his game when his body started to get older. It's gonna be interesting to see what type of Player LeBron becomes when he gets a little more mileage on those legs.

Exactly.

Brandon Roy is only falling off due to injury, that is not difficult to project nor did it take much thought. Just like posting a picture of Greg Oden.

Spurs fans are so focused on the short sighted obvious it's borderline retarded.

djohn2oo8
12-22-2010, 05:27 PM
andrew bum, tyreke evans, demarcus cousins

Bynum fell off when he stepped onto the court

Trill Clinton
12-22-2010, 05:31 PM

I think Derrick is awesome but I see a lack of fundamental point guard skill and an over reliance on unparalleled speed that is entirely based on youth.

Once he loses that, his game will suffer quite a bit just like it did to Marbury, Francis and Iverson before him.

But in the meantime, I love watching that kid play.

dude is a BEAST. I've seen a vast improvement in his game so I don't think he'll fall into the Francis/Iverson category. His jumper has come a long way and he is a decent 3 point shooter for a pg.

Even Kobe said something along the lines of being impressed with his work ethic off the court.

@kaizoku, I can't help but to think of Blake Griffin after reading your post. I hope he works on his inside-out game over the summer because he has the potential to be one of the greats. Him playing for a better team would help as well.

z0sa
12-22-2010, 05:39 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

mavs>spurs
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM

t-mac got jinxed that's why he failed to live up to his talents, not because of laziness or etc... injury had always been an issue throughout his career but he could still attend legit numbers of games and crank out consistent products. 2 times scoring champion...