PDA

View Full Version : couple loses $800,000 on a game show, despite being right

Phillip
12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/million-dollar-money-drop-contestants-get-penalized-for-a-wrong-answer-that-turned-out-to-be-right--2022

what a bunch of horseshit, that they couldn't even get their facts straight, or at least as the question in a way that backed their claim as to why the answer was right, and fuck these people out of a chance at rightfully winning the money

fuck that show

and that girl is pretty

Wild Cobra
12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Well now...

Free samples in the late 70's vs. not being sold till 1980?

The question keyword "sold" indicates they didn't answer correctly.

DMX7
12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
You probably won't hear about this on Fox News with the War on Christmas picking up steam... and because they're black.

Wild Cobra
12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
You probably won't hear about this on Fox News with the War on Christmas picking up steam... and because they're black.
That's right. Jump to conclusions with your prejudiced mind.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-22-2010, 08:05 PM

What does this have to do with Fox News?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Well now...

Free samples in the late 70's vs. not being sold till 1980?

The question keyword "sold" indicates they didn't answer correctly.

From the times article:

Notepads produced for internal use at 3M were a hit, but when they were tested in four markets in 1977, shoppers showed little interest.

That makes it seem like they were indeed for sale in those four markets.

The next year the company descended upon Boise, Idaho, for what was known internally as the Boise Blitz. Free samples were widely distributed to offices

Sounds like the free samples didn't come until 1978, no?

SpursDynasty85
12-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Yea. Really really sucks for that guy. You just felt so bad for them when they continued to put more and more of the money in the losing area. T.T

Spurminator
12-22-2010, 09:02 PM
What does this have to do with Fox News?

This is bullshit, and Fox News is bullshit. So it's KIND OF the same...

Blake
12-22-2010, 09:04 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/million-dollar-money-drop-contestants-get-penalized-for-a-wrong-answer-that-turned-out-to-be-right--2022

what a bunch of horseshit, that they couldn't even get their facts straight, or at least as the question in a way that backed their claim as to why the answer was right, and fuck these people out of a chance at rightfully winning the money

fuck that show

and that girl is pretty

if there is evidence of even one post-it note being sold first, I'm getting a lawyer to get my $800,000.

I might even settle for a fraction.

Wild Cobra
12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
From the times article:

That makes it seem like they were indeed for sale in those four markets.

Sounds like the free samples didn't come until 1978, no?
My take was the all the post-its prior to 1980 were free. the test market could have been free samples to customers as well, either way, even if customers paid for it, the lots were free by 3M.

I think this would be too hard to decifer withour seeing the actual documentation. 3M says 1980. Unless you can prove otherwise, the correct answer is 1980.

PM5K
12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
even if customers paid for it, the lots were free by 3M.

What does that mean?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM
My take was the all the post-its prior to 1980 were free. the test market could have been free samples to customers as well, either way, even if customers paid for it, the lots were free by 3M.

I didn't read it that way. Sounds like they tried to sell it in four markets and people didn't want to pay for it. When the product was given away, people took to it because they actually had it in their possession and found uses for it.

This is on 3M, not Fox. They are the only ones with the documentation one way or the other.

If it were me, then I might hire someone to dig a little deeper rather than just taking 3M's word. From the info out there, it sounds sketchy at best.

It'd be a shot in the dark, but one that might be worth pursuing.

jimo2305
12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
what i got was.. 3m was sold NATIONALLY in the 80s..

the question wasn't which product was first sold NATIONALLY but rather which product was first sold..

as long as 3m backs it up that they first sold their post it note in 79 before the other products.. that couple deserves their money..

but who knows.. there's probably some fine print somewhere that protects the show from stuff like this.. o well

Gutter92
12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Probably made this question like that on purpose tbh.

Sisk
12-23-2010, 06:00 PM
That's fucked up...

CubanMustGo
12-23-2010, 07:09 PM
They backed down a little, admitted they were wrong, and will give the couple another shot on the show.

mavs>spurs
12-23-2010, 07:23 PM
u seen some other people winning the money on this show before? just a sham to start with.