PDA

View Full Version : Takeaways from this win..

Spursfanfromafar
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
The Glass-half-full story is that the San Antonio bench is far better than last year's and has cojones. Tiago Splitter is skilled, fearless and can be a force on either end, despite limitations and has a great future ahead of him. Gary Neal is dynamite on the offensive end. And in Chris Quinn, the Spurs have a mistake-free point guard who is safe insurance.

The Glass-half-empty story is that the Spurs in their attempt to transmogrify themselves have lost a bit of their own USP. The defensive abilities of the personnel are quite lacking - interior defense marshalled by Tim Duncan is weaker than ever and perimeter defense is almost non-existent. What the Spurs show is a lot of hustle and canniness. They would need more than that to win No. 5.

I think though that the Glass is three quarters full. The team's veterans have great IQ and drive to win and the rookie bunch helping them out apart from the support cast are matching them in those intangibles. As the season progresses, if the Spurs continue to emphasize fundamentals on defense, they can get better and lessen the odds against them for a championship. With many early wins, the pressure to adjust on the fly as the season progresses will be far lesser and that is the best thing about the superb start to the season.

It is good times again for a Spurs fan.

Merry X'Mas.

TampaDude
12-22-2010, 11:37 PM
25-3

'nuff said!

DMC
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
The Glass-half-full story is that the San Antonio bench is far better than last year's and has cojones. Tiago Splitter is skilled, fearless and can be a force on either end, despite limitations and has a great future ahead of him. Gary Neal is dynamite on the offensive end. And in Chris Quinn, the Spurs have a mistake-free point guard who is safe insurance.

The Glass-half-empty story is that the Spurs in their attempt to transmogrify themselves have lost a bit of their own USP. The defensive abilities of the personnel are quite lacking - interior defense marshalled by Tim Duncan is weaker than ever and perimeter defense is almost non-existent. What the Spurs show is a lot of hustle and canniness. They would need more than that to win No. 5.

I think though that the Glass is three quarters full. The team's veterans have great IQ and drive to win and the rookie bunch helping them out apart from the support cast are matching them in those intangibles. As the season progresses, if the Spurs continue to emphasize fundamentals on defense, they can get better and lessen the odds against them for a championship. With many early wins, the pressure to adjust on the fly as the season progresses will be far lesser and that is the best thing about the superb start to the season.

It is good times again for a Spurs fan.

Merry X'Mas.

The glass is twice as big as it needs to be... tell that story.

DMC
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Fans hate gambling on defense unless it creates turnovers. No one bitches when Manu comes from the weak side to steal, but they hate it when someone steps out and goes for a steal and doesn't get it.

There's no risk-free aggression. You either play aggressively or you do not.

Sean Cagney
12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
25-3

'nuff said!

I hope they can keep up 75% of this pace all year, I know they will lose their games and even get blown out again from time to time, but this record still has me flat out shocked at this point.

TampaDude
12-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I hope they can keep up 75% of this pace all year, I know they will lose their games and even get blown out again from time to time, but this record still has me flat out shocked at this point.

If they can just win 2 of 3 on average, I'll be happy.

Winning 2 of 3 in the playoffs gets you the :lobt2:

Spursfanfromafar
12-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Fans hate gambling on defense unless it creates turnovers. No one bitches when Manu comes from the weak side to steal, but they hate it when someone steps out and goes for a steal and doesn't get it.

There's no risk-free aggression. You either play aggressively or you do not.

That is not fail-safe defense. That is gambling, which succeeds with a lower percentage of success. Spurs are not known to gamble, but to play perimeter defense that makes it tough for the opponent to score 3s and closes interior lanes.. forcing them to take low percentage shots. Thats what the Spurs have been known for, all along. Granted, the personnel have changed and Spurs don't have a Bowen anymore. But they can't win a championship through gambling and scrambling on defense. And I am sure every Spurs fan who has watched this team for sometime knows it.

Cessation
12-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Spurs won this game without George Hill, and James Anderson.

DMC
12-23-2010, 12:03 AM
That is not fail-safe defense. That is gambling, which succeeds with a lower percentage of success. Spurs are not known to gamble, but to play perimeter defense that makes it tough for the opponent to score 3s and closes interior lanes.. forcing them to take low percentage shots. Thats what the Spurs have been known for, all along. Granted, the personnel have changed and Spurs don't have a Bowen anymore. But they can't win a championship through gambling and scrambling on defense. And I am sure every Spurs fan who has watched this team for sometime knows it.

Anytime you see Parker or Ginobili or even RJ or Hill steal the ball up top, it's a result of a gamble on defense. Sometimes gamblers lose. They won tonight but not because of their gambling.

Regardless, the Nuggets were doing just fine even when the defenders stayed at home on the perimeter guys. Denver was doing fine until they just shit the bed in the 4th, thanks to some success on offense from a deep and talented bench and in no small part to a zone that caught Denver by surprise.

Fans who have watched this team for some time (like me) also know that the Spurs always predicated their game on defense and dumping the ball down low in crunch time. This year it's different, and the results look good so far.

DMC
12-23-2010, 12:06 AM

That is NOT true. Both were in attendance.

SpursDynasty85
12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
The defensive abilities of the personnel are quite lacking - interior defense marshalled by Tim Duncan is weaker than ever and perimeter defense is almost non-existent.

George Hill is by far our most consistent perimeter defender. When JR was going off, George would have had the duty to gaurd him. Neal struggled with him a lot.

On the other hand. I don't think our perimeter defense is that bad. Were solid, but we just don't appear that way because the spurs have upped the pace considerably. You cannot expect to stop a team like they did in past years when we play at this pace.

itzsoweezee
12-23-2010, 12:08 AM
The thing I hate the most is the gambling on defense. And it's mostly Tony's fault, sadly.

I disagree. That gambling is creating easy points and compensating for some of the Spurs' individual defensive shortcomings.

DMC
12-23-2010, 12:29 AM
One take away, for sure, is that highlight moves do no equate to wins... otherwise Vince would have more rings than MJ.

BOHOLANO#21
12-23-2010, 12:44 AM
25-3

'nuff said!

:toast

jjktkk
12-23-2010, 12:52 AM
I think the worry warts on here have to realize, like Pop has, that this current group of Spurs are not the defensive oriented bunch of a few years ago. They no longer possess the talent, due to Bowen's retirement, Duncan's age, etc... This Spurs team's strength lies in their offensive firepower, namely thier perimeter shooting, and their guards ability to drive and kick. On defense, the Spurs are pressuring the ball more, becoming more aggressive in steal attempts, because of their lack of front court defense, with Timmy, being the only true shotblocker to protect the rim. Since this group doesn't possess the ability to shut an oppenent down defensively, the only option is to open up the offense, with the hope that this current group of Spurs will improve defensively as the season goes on. You should also know that Pop will continue to get on this team to work and compete on the defensive end.

ALVAREZ6
12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
The Nuggets without Carmelo Anthony almost beat the Spurs...that in itself scares me. I thought Carmelo Anthony was the only player on the Nuggets roster, but I guess they have the players necessary to keep up with the Spurs.

Seriously though, WTF???!!!! The Sprs keep winning, sure, but now they're barely getting by teams that need to be blown out, especially when Melo is out. This is like beating the early decade Sixers, without Allen Iverson (so basically no one), by a slim margin.

99-03-05-07
12-23-2010, 01:45 AM
If they can just win 2 of 3 on average, I'll be happy.

Winning 2 of 3 in the playoffs gets you the :lobt2:
as long as we are winning when the playoffs come, there shouldn't be much complaining...:lobt2:

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 05:39 AM
The Nuggets without Carmelo Anthony almost beat the Spurs...that in itself scares me. I thought Carmelo Anthony was the only player on the Nuggets roster, but I guess they have the players necessary to keep up with the Spurs.

Seriously though, WTF???!!!! The Sprs keep winning, sure, but now they're barely getting by teams that need to be blown out, especially when Melo is out. This is like beating the early decade Sixers, without Allen Iverson (so basically no one), by a slim margin.
Thats a bit unfair. It isn't like the Nugg's are a bunch of scrubs. They have quite a bit of talent offensively.

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Also, the Nugg's with Melo almost beat the Spurs, except they didn't have Billups, K Mart & who else? Was it Birdman? Point being, is that they are still a tough team with alot of offensive talent. Do not underestimate a team like that. They put up a pretty good fight & had a decent chance against the Lakers just 2 years ago.

Crickets
12-23-2010, 05:42 AM

wtf is james Anderson??
anyone ??

Pathetic fucks!

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 05:45 AM
and giving up twice as many baskets to the other team...
Since we are not the defensive stalwart team of the past, those gambles also translate into buckets when they pay off. Just saying.

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Also, one last thing, if we can not iron out the kinks on D, we may have no choice but to keep gambling. Now this will suck, but we are winning, so lets just let it unfold how it will.

Calavera
12-23-2010, 05:49 AM
wtf is james Anderson??
anyone ??

Pathetic fucks!

hahhaa, you'll get to know him, don't worry :hat

Crickets
12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
hahhaa, you'll get to know him, don't worry :hat

oh no im not worried about pathetic worthless unproven injury prone rookies

Calavera
12-23-2010, 05:56 AM
OH, then just log in the right forum, obviously you took the wrong buss :)

Crickets
12-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Keep dreaming spurt fan!

Late december and the new year will expose your pathetic ass team

rayray2k8
12-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Keep dreaming spurt fan!

Late december and the new year will expose your pathetic ass team

:spin

ChumpDumper
12-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Keep dreaming spurt fan!

Late december and the new year will expose your pathetic ass teamWhy do you care?

Crickets
12-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I REALLY DON'T CARE i JUST LIKE TO PUT YOU WHERE YOU FUCKS BELONG...DOWN TO EARTH

ChumpDumper
12-23-2010, 06:03 AM
I REALLY DON'T CARE i JUST LIKE TO PUT YOU WHERE YOU FUCKS BELONG...DOWN TO EARTHNo need to get mad and shout.

We are on the Earth.

Where did you think we were?

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-23-2010, 06:03 AM
I REALLY DON'T CARE i JUST LIKE TO PUT YOU WHERE YOU FUCKS BELONG...DOWN TO EARTH

OK Louis. Why u mad, tho?

Crickets
12-23-2010, 06:07 AM
sorry caps locked

lol

Crickets
12-23-2010, 06:08 AM
No need to get mad and shout.

We are on the Earth.

Where did you think we were?

well the way you idiots act seems like you think you are on the moon or something
lol

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 06:22 AM
well the way you idiots act seems like you think you are on the moon or something
lol
Miami?

L.I.T
12-23-2010, 06:43 AM
I just realized the Spurs have already won half as many games as they won all last year. Crazy, considering their eminently correctable flaws.

Buddy Holly
12-23-2010, 06:58 AM

Dude whatever. The Lakers just lost to the Bucks who were without Brandon Jennings.

Losing to or playing teams close when their superstar player is out isn't very uncommon. Spurs have lost games where the superstar is out. Hell, we've beaten teams when Tim or Manu or Tony or even a combination of those three were sitting out.

Again, not uncommon.

What is scary, for other teams, is how the Spurs always seem to manage and come back and when games they would have lost last season or the season before. We're not only winning close games, but games where we're down double digits in the second half. :wow

pookenstein
12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Dude whatever. The Lakers just lost to the Bucks who were without Brandon Jennings.

Losing to or playing teams close when their superstar player is out isn't very uncommon. Spurs have lost games where the superstar is out. Hell, we've beaten teams when Tim or Manu or Tony or even a combination of those three were sitting out.

Again, not uncommon.

What is scary, for other teams, is how the Spurs always seem to manage and come back and when games they would have lost last season or the season before. We're not only winning close games, but games where we're down double digits in the second half. :wow

+1
:toast

TJastal
12-23-2010, 07:29 AM
lol

or in other words:

I'm so jealous of you assholes right now, I had to log into my troll account and come up here and act a bitch. WTF when are you going to start losing like the nba and affliliates want? Fucksake just stop already! I hate reading all your happy horseshit but I find myself unable to break away from all the jizzing going on, like a deer caught in the headlights. I must read.. more!

DMC
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM
and giving up twice as many baskets to the other team...
Not true.

You seem to have a loose idea of what constitutes a gamble on defense. Staying in front of a defender can also be a gamble. Not going for a steal can reduce your points off turnovers, and that's a gamble.

It's a complex system. Not as black and white (no pun intended) as you seem to think.

DMC
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
sorry caps locked

lol

no u mad :nope

EricB
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Name me a December when their defense was at it's best.