PDA

View Full Version : I love Coinstar

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Cashed in all the change I've accrued since April, with a final tally of $213.47.

Feels great, especially since I don't really look at change as tangible money.

They take out 9.8 cents per dollar, but it's worth it unless you wanna be rolling coins all day.

I'm a fan...I recommend b/c you always end up having more money than you think. :tu

johnsmith
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Many banks will put the money in a machine and it counts it for you.......they charge you nothing.

balli
12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I used to go to coinstar, then I realized my credit union has a similar machine that doesn't take 10%.

Nevertheless, you're playing with house money; it's always nice to turn your pocket change into something real.

B-Hath
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Coinstar is great, but I always use the gift certificate option. They don't take out the 9.8% service fee, and you get a nice shopping spree at Amazon or Starbucks.

balli
12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
I wonder what percentage of people choose the 'donate' option? And whether coinstar actually donates anything to anyone other than their stockholders.

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
so you lost 20 bucks scroh?

nice

Best $20 I've ever lost then, tbh.

Many banks will put the money in a machine and it counts it for you.......they charge you nothing.

Did not know that, haven't brought change into a bank in literally years, and back then you would have to roll it up yourself and write your account # on each one.

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I wonder what percentage of people choose the 'donate' option? And whether coinstar actually donates anything to anyone other than their stockholders.

I saw that as well...looked sketchy, imo.

Frenzy
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Best $20 I've ever lost then, tbh.

Did not know that, haven't brought change into a bank in literally years, and back then you would have to roll it up yourself and write your account # on each one.

I did that like 3 yrs ago had like 50 rolls of misc coins. Then the lady took them and went to the back just to rip them up.:depressed

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I did that like 3 yrs ago had like 50 rolls of misc coins. Then the lady took them and went to the back just to rip them up.:depressed

That used to suck, it was like they were destroying all your hard work right in front of you:lol

People put washers in with the quarters though, so the rest of us suffered.

CosmicCowboy
12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
My bank just does it for free. They fuck me enough with other charges.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I have a huge jar of change but i'm afraid of taking it to one of those coinstar deals. I'm afraid a collectible coin would be in there and I'd get screwed out of the value. Oh well. I guess out of sight out of mind. DD, did you go through your coins first?

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I have a huge jar of change but i'm afraid of taking it to one of those coinstar deals. I'm afraid a collectible coin would be in there and I'd get screwed out of the value. Oh well. I guess out of sight out of mind. DD, did you go through your coins first?

I did not, although I doubt there were any 1909 pennies in there:lol

The only things the machine spit out were a couple parking tokens and a 1947 nickel...may have been made with a different metal that year, not sure.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I did not, although I doubt there were any 1909 pennies in there:lol

you never know.

Dex
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Coinstar is awesome, but I hate that it takes a percentage.

Some banks have free coin-star like systems. I need to find me one of them. Mine makes you roll it up into those stupid little rolls....meaning I have a giant Spurs novelty beer bottle that is a quarter full of change.

CubanMustGo
12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Funny, around here not only is coinstar offering to do it free (if you elect to get a gift card instead of money) but for Amazon.com they are offering $50 for $40 in change. Since we constantly buy stuff from amazon that's a big WIN.

When we want cash, I go to our credit union which does it for free.

Dex
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Funny, around here not only is coinstar offering to do it free (if you elect to get a gift card instead of money) but for Amazon.com they are offering $50 for $40 in change. Since we constantly buy stuff from amazon that's a big WIN.

When we want cash, I go to our credit union which does it for free.

Yeah the only bank I've seen that has the change-sorter is SACU. Maybe it's a credit union thing....or maybe just BoA and Chase are cheap bastards. :blah

Drachen
12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Coinstar is awesome, but I hate that it takes a percentage.

Some banks have free coin-star like systems. I need to find me one of them. Mine makes you roll it up into those stupid little rolls....meaning I have a giant Spurs novelty beer bottle that is a quarter full of change.

I know my credit union has one, Firstmark on Bandera. It is free for members to use. If you aren't a member then open an account. LOL

Wild Cobra
12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
No shit.

They do it for free!

Sisk
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.comparenow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/credit-card.jpg

DMX7
12-24-2010, 03:02 AM
They charge 10%??? Good god, they're worse then those cash checking places. I would have taken the gift certs if they're free to exchange for.

Kamala
12-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I've thrown in pesos and car wash tokens by accident.

Whenever I cash my coins in I'm usually happy as a runaway slave.:downspin:

ChuckD
12-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah the only bank I've seen that has the change-sorter is SACU. Maybe it's a credit union thing....or maybe just BoA and Chase are cheap bastards. :blah

RBFCU and USAA also do it without taking a cut.

I think the whole rolling your own coin thing has been over for a while. USAA began telling me NOT to roll my coins, probably around 2000, but then again, they're ahead of the curve on a number of things.

Nathan Explosion
12-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I never had to roll my coins with Firstmark and I've been a member since 2000 when they were San Antonio Teachers Credit Union. The teller would put the coins in the machine for you after you waited in line.

Now they have the machines outside for the people to use. I don't think the Donaldson branch has one but I rarely go there. I know for a fact that the Culebra branch, the one off of Isom and the Huebner branch all have a machine.

The one thing I notice from everyone is that the listed banks that have the machines are actually credit unions.

ChuckD
12-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I never had to roll my coins with Firstmark and I've been a member since 2000 when they were San Antonio Teachers Credit Union. The teller would put the coins in the machine for you after you waited in line.

Now they have the machines outside for the people to use. I don't think the Donaldson branch has one but I rarely go there. I know for a fact that the Culebra branch, the one off of Isom and the Huebner branch all have a machine.

The one thing I notice from everyone is that the listed banks that have the machines are actually credit unions.

USAA is a bank. Their machine is cool. It looks like an ATM, but you put the coins in, and it gives you the option to deposit it directly, or get a slip to take to the teller for cash.

Nathan Explosion
12-26-2010, 11:52 AM
USAA is a bank. Their machine is cool. It looks like an ATM, but you put the coins in, and it gives you the option to deposit it directly, or get a slip to take to the teller for cash.

Yep, I think they all do that.

I didn't realize that USAA was a bank. Even their website makes it sound like a credit union. In fact, the only reason I figured it was a bank is because it said it's not like OTHER banks.

Das Texan
12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Ya but USAA isnt a national bank and is chartered under something totally different being a federal thrift.

So you really cant compare what USAA does to the big banks like Bank of America, Chase et al.

Nathan Explosion
12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Ya but USAA isnt a national bank and is chartered under something totally different being a federal thrift.

So you really cant compare what USAA does to the big banks like Bank of America, Chase et al.

I believe they're a bank. I even said I figured they were a bank. What I was saying is that they sound like a credit union on the website.

ChuckD
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM
My stuff all says USAA Federal Savings Bank. I think they still do have a Thrift, but it's for employees only. The bank is available nationwide to members, but I agree that they do things different than the Big Bloated Banks.

Honestly, if it weren't for USAA, I'd be with a Thrift or Credit Union. RBFCU offers the same remote deposit service via PDA app that USAA does, but strangely, most of the big banks don't.

Drachen
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
My stuff all says USAA Federal Savings Bank. I think they still do have a Thrift, but it's for employees only. The bank is available nationwide to members, but I agree that they do things different than the Big Bloated Banks.

Honestly, if it weren't for USAA, I'd be with a Thrift or Credit Union. RBFCU offers the same remote deposit service via PDA app that USAA does, but strangely, most of the big banks don't.

United SA FCU is the old USAA Federal Credit Union (that I had access to when I was an employee). Don't know if this helps the conversation.

sa_butta
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
United SA FCU is the old USAA Federal Credit Union (that I had access to when I was an employee). Don't know if this helps the conversation.
I have been with United SA since it was USAA FCU...and I believe they do have a coin counting machine as well.

TheSullyMonster
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Wells Fargo counts for free too.

Das Texan
12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I believe they're a bank. I even said I figured they were a bank. What I was saying is that they sound like a credit union on the website.

They are a bank, but not of the same ilk as the big national banks as they are different animals essentially.

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
$158 and change from my most recent trip. Love it. :tu

mrsmaalox
06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
It's very convenient. We have a rule at my house that any money that comes out in the laundry is mine; last year after a Coinstar visit I got a kickass ipod dock/speaker for my laundry room ;)

We also have a rule that if anyone's bedroom gets nasty enough for me to have to enter and take charge, I get any money that isn't in a designated money holder---so after a foray into my 13 yr old's room today, I'm heading to Coinstar then for a nice pedicure :toast

Fdawg07
06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Wells Fargo counts for free too.

Wells Fargo just recently starting charging 2% if its MORE THAN $100 in coins. Kinda whack. But you could always split it in two and just go on different days. Beating the system :ihit

Frenzy
06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Wells Fargo just recently starting charging 2% if its MORE THAN $100 in coins. Kinda whack. But you could always split it in two and just go on different days. Beating the system :ihit

Wtf..

They even wanna nickel and dime your actual nickel and dimes.

Nathan Explosion
06-28-2011, 07:46 PM

You shouldn't have to beat the system if you're depositing money though. Firstmark only charges if you're cashing in your change for paper money. But if you're depositing, it's free.

That's fucked up on Wells Fargo's part.

thispego
06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Lol what a shmuck, paying to have your change counted lol. Paying 10% to have your change counted lololololol

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
A thread's not officially validated till Pego's smack-addicted ass scoffs it...thx scro :tu

thispego
06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
A thread's not officially validated till Pego's smack-addicted ass scoffs it...thx scro :tu

:lmao you're right on one account but I could also concur and it'd be validated as well. Im just here to let y'all know who's right and who's wrong. You're lucky to have me tbh, you should have asked me before you threw away $20

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
:lmao you're right on one account but I could also concur and it'd be validated as well. Im just here to let y'all know who's right and who's wrong. You're lucky to have me tbh, you should have asked me before you threw away $20

It's a lazy tax:lol...tbh rolling them myself would take time. Time is money. All works out in the end.

you're alright, pego...in another life I might even share needles with you

thispego
06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Like others have said, your bank has machines that will change your change for free.

and I don't share needles, or use them, tbh.

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Like others have said, your bank has machines that will change your change for free.

No thanks, I enjoy the fiscal irresponsibility. Besides, if I saved the $20 then I wouldn't have the pleasure of scoffing the homeless man outside the grocery store.

and I don't share needles, or use them, tbh.

Right, and you also didn't ask for painkillers over the internet. Embrace your addiction, brah...have fun with it

mrsmaalox
06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
USAA is a 30 min drive from my house. HEB's Coinstar is a 2 min drive from my house. 10% service fee is less than a gallon of gasoline. Thank you Coinstar :toast

lil'mo
06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
No thanks, I enjoy the fiscal irresponsibility. Besides, if I saved the $20 then I wouldn't have the pleasure of scoffing the homeless man outside the grocery store.

Right, and you also didn't ask for painkillers over the internet. Embrace your addiction, brah...have fun with it

dets cool, i like money, but thats just me.

hey, jt begged us to let him hook us up with drugs, that's the only thing I could think of that I could have used at the time. Was he able to actually hook us up? hell no :lol, he probably got them and then took it himself before he could hook us up lolololol now DETS an addict

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2011, 09:34 PM
USAA is a 30 min drive from my house. HEB's Coinstar is a 2 min drive from my house. 10% service fee is less than a gallon of gasoline. Thank you Coinstar :toast

:tu

In all honesty I haven't inquired if my bank offers that service or not. I really just don't feel comfortable showing up at the teller counter and giving the girl a bowl of my change...just seems low-class. We're all low-class at a grocery-store though, and only the machine will judge you there:lol

dets cool, i like money, but thats just me.

Maybe so...next time you save another $20 you should splurge on dinner and treat the wife to some boxed wine and a DiGiorno.

hey, jt begged us to let him hook us up with drugs, that's the only thing I could think of that I could have used at the time. Was he able to actually hook us up? hell no :lol, he probably got them and then took it himself before he could hook us up lolololol now DETS an addict

Where is he these days? I heard 'teengs'...

lil'mo
06-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Maybe so...next time you save another $20 you should splurge on dinner and treat the wife to some boxed wine and a DiGiorno.

Where is he these days? I heard rumors but don't know if there true, tbh.

ppffffttt, i tip $20 to the digiornos delivery guy, thats not the point. It's wasting money on something you can/should get for free. but whatevs, enjoy yoself

yeah i heard jt was dead, laughed, then doubted

Wild Cobra
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
$158 and change from my most recent trip. Love it. :tu
Would have been $175 without the 9.8% fee.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I'll bet you feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO smart after solving that extremely complicated math problem!

lil'mo
06-28-2011, 09:54 PM

:lmao

scarf!

Wild Cobra
06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I'll bet you feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO smart after solving that extremely complicated math problem!
Not at all.

I just can't believe so many people use coinstar.

ChuckD
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks, 99.9

Wild Cobra's Surgeon
06-28-2011, 10:06 PM

Good point. That extra $17 a month could be the difference between an HMO with limited surgeon choices and a PPO--with a surgeon you can hand pick.

Such matters should not be dealt with casually.

4>0rings
06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
:lmao He's black

DMX7
06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Good point. That extra $17 a month could be the difference between an HMO with limited surgeon choices and a PPO--with a surgeon you can hand pick.

Such matters should not be dealt with casually.

LOL. :lol WC's not a fan of yours.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I swear that fucking troll makes me laugh every fucking time. :lmao

Also, how do you guys get so much change. I pretty much only use my debit card.

Wild Cobra
06-29-2011, 01:37 AM
I swear that fucking troll makes me laugh every fucking time. :lmao

Also, how do you guys get so much change. I pretty much only use my debit card.
I could never figure out how people do it myself. I get rid of it as fast as I can.