PDA

View Full Version : Reigning Black: Spurs have a big problem

duncan228
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Spurs have a big problem (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/2010/12/spurs-have-big-problem.html)
by Radoslav Komljenovic

Literally.

The Spurs are having serious trouble against front lines consisting of two big, bruising-types with skill. Milicic-Love, Gasol-Randolph. One can only imagine what it’ll be like against Bynum-Gasol-Odom—not that the latter two are bruisers, but they are big, long and highly skilled.

Specifically, Blair has serious trouble in these match-ups. He can't hold his own on the glass, can't adequately guard any of them and is an afterthought offensively, because the games are bound to be close when you're getting destroyed on the glass. And when the games are close, Blair is, rightly so, an afterthought offensively.

Pop's modus operandi in these match-ups is to (once the game proves to be tougher than initially thought, or at least hoped) play Blair sparingly, lean on Bonner heavily—presumably in the hopes that he can get hot from deep and negate the inevitable disadvantage in the paint and on the glass—and finally lean on McDyess heavily down the stretch.

But the Spurs shouldn't be in these situations consistently against the likes of a Memphis or Minnesota, not where they have to scramble and fight to survive against them. McDyess needs to start in these match-ups and Splitter needs to be inserted into the rotation, at the expense of Blair.

Keep Reading... (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/2010/12/spurs-have-big-problem.html)

rayray2k8
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I think a lot of spurs fans are already aware of this and why the Bonner hate is starting to grow.

TJastal
12-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Since when does Blair not hold his own on the glass? I thought that's all he did, like all Bonner does is shoot 3's.

Solid D
12-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Author left out the strategy of getting one of the opposing Bigs in foul trouble, then having Manu finish them off with an exaggerated recoil coming off a hard hedge.

jjktkk
12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
On paper it is alarming, the size advantage the Lakers have against the Spurs. We won't know how bad a diasadvantage the Spurs have against the Lakers until we play them this year. But what about the Spurs advantage in the backcourt? Yes I know about Kobe, but the Spurs, IMO, should be able to run circles around the Lakers, with Ginoboli, Parker, Hill, and Neal. Shouldn't this be brought up as well when discussing a Lakers vs. Spurs matchup?

TVI
12-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I think it's way too early to say Splitter doesn't rebound well. I'm not sure you can judge his averages to date since he's only getting spotty minutes, and he doesn't know the NBA game that well yet. 95% of rebounding is positioning, and he's a smart player so if/when he starts to get more play time, we'll no doubt see his rebounding numbers go up. I was impressed with his effort on the glass last night. He pulled down 9 boards in 21 minutes. That's pretty solid, IMHO.

DMC
12-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Everyone is predicting the demise of the leaders. It's never happened before....

How about at team that cannot beat the fucking Bucks at home (couple I can think of).

It is what it is, but let's at least wait for some losses before we assess why. Predictions from neophytes are annoying.

AlleyOopNazi
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
a big problem?
3 losses
scoreboard

SenorSpur
12-23-2010, 06:58 PM
The author makes some very valid points. Even though the Spurs have not yet played the Celtics and Fakers, we've already seen what happens when the Spurs go up against taller front lines of some of the more mediocre teams - and it aint pretty.

Obviously, the Spurs frontline deficiencies are a problem that many of us have complained about for the better part of 2 seasons. The fact that Duncan is continuously forced to try and "hold down the fort" at both ends, at this advanced age, is unacceptable. He needs help.

In the meantime, Pop seems hell-bent to try and beat "big with small", rather than attempting to beat "big with big". Everyone knows the Fakers have been the gold standard on the "tall frontline" concept. They ARE the 2-time, defending NBA champions. They are the team everyone needs to try and dethrone.

Obviously big men aren't growing on trees, which is why I still loathe the Spurs decision in allowing Mahinmi to walk - but we wont go there. The point is you cannot beat size with quickness and finesse. At some point, you have to match big with big. The Celtics had a tall frontline last year and have gotten even taller this year. Even the Mavs, have gotten the message and have upgraded their frontline accordingly.

This is why, as much as Pop wants to develop Splitter slowly, I truly believe, in spite of their fast start, that strategy will only serve to Duncan's detriment and a short playoff life. Splitter is cleary the only remedy the Spurs have to help combat these taller frontlines. We saw him contribute heavily versus the Nuggets and he'll only get better. He needs to play now, so he'll be ready come playoff time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I think Pop recognizes that the Splitter bullet will need to be added to the Spurs arsenal. I'm glad, though, that he's not sacrificing our seeding in order to do it. If the Spurs could hang onto the 1 seed this season they'll only face Dallas or LA, presuming those two will also be two of the top 3 seeds, rather than facing both. Beyond those two teams I don't see another Western team capable of beating the Spurs in a seven game series. Those two will be a challenge.

I'd bet we're going to start seeing more of Splitter, and by the end of the season he'll become a regular rotation player.

tdunk21
12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
The author makes some very valid points. Even though the Spurs have not yet played the Celtics and Fakers, we've already seen what happens when the Spurs go up against taller front lines of some of the more mediocre teams - and it aint pretty.

Obviously, the Spurs frontline deficiencies are a problem that many of us have complained about for the better part of 2 seasons. The fact that Duncan is continuously forced to try and "hold down the fort" at both ends, at this advanced age, is unacceptable. He needs help.

In the meantime, Pop seems hell-bent to try and beat "big with small", rather than attempting to beat "big with big". Everyone knows the Fakers have been the gold standard on the "tall frontline" concept. They ARE the 2-time, defending NBA champions. They are the team everyone needs to try and dethrone.

Obviously big men aren't growing on trees, which is why I still loathe the Spurs decision in allowing Mahinmi to walk - but we wont go there. The point is you cannot beat size with quickness and finesse. At some point, you have to match big with big. The Celtics had a tall frontline last year and have gotten even taller this year. Even the Mavs, have gotten the message and have upgraded their frontline accordingly.

This is why, as much as Pop wants to develop Splitter slowly, I truly believe, in spite of their fast start, that strategy will only serve to Duncan's detriment and a short playoff life. Splitter is cleary the only remedy the Spurs have to help combat these taller frontlines. We saw him contribute heavily versus the Nuggets and he'll only get better. He needs to play now, so he'll be ready come playoff time.

:toast

SenorSpur
12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
...and the frontline issue will only be magnified when Dice retires, at the end of the season.

Galileo
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
The Spurs have 5 quality big men. Pop can shift them in and out depending on how they are playing or depending on matchups.

tdunk21
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
...and the frontline issue will only be magnified when Dice retires, at the end of the season.

sorry for being ignorant...but we do have a 14th and 15th roster spot dont we? why cant we address that come feb deadline?

Blackjack
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
sorry for being ignorant...but we do have a 14th and 15th roster spot dont we? why cant we address that come feb deadline?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Read_my_lips.jpg

Read my lips: No. New. Taxes.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
sorry for being ignorant...but we do have a 14th and 15th roster spot dont we? why cant we address that come feb deadline?There are open roster spots and a little wiggle room for taking on more salary, but don't expect anything big. The Spurs big change this offseason was the offense, and an .893 win percentage results in less of an impetus to change the personnel that much.

L.I.T
12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Read_my_lips.jpg

Read my lips: No. New. Taxes.

Based on the outcome of that statement...bring on the trades. :toast

ChumpDumper
12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Bonner is not a small forward.

Muser
12-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Bonner at SF would make me puke.

Blackjack
12-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Based on the outcome of that statement...bring on the trades. :toast

Except Pop is anything but a politician, much less a Republican. :lol

TD 21
12-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Since when does Blair not hold his own on the glass? I thought that's all he did, like all Bonner does is shoot 3's.

Specifically, Blair has serious trouble in these match-ups. He can't hold his own on the glass, can't adequately guard any of them and is an afterthought offensively, because the games are bound to be close when you're getting destroyed on the glass. And when the games are close, Blair is, rightly so, an afterthought offensively.

Like I said about a month ago, I wouldn't be shopping Blair per se, but I'd definitely listen to offers. If this team can get a bigger, better fit at PF or a combo forward who's a better fit, I'd be open to trading him. But only if the player coming back was young as well.

I'm not down on him and it's nothing against him. I like him and in time, he'll obviously improve and presumably at least somewhat shore up his major weaknesses. But this team is built to win a championship now and he's not fit to help them contribute to doing so. His only value at the moment is to help eat up minutes during the grind of the regular season, so they don't wear Duncan and McDyess down. The problem with that is, he's starting, which means he plays regardless of match-up and it's killing the team.

angelbelow
12-23-2010, 11:00 PM
On paper it is alarming, the size advantage the Lakers have against the Spurs. We won't know how bad a diasadvantage the Spurs have against the Lakers until we play them this year. But what about the Spurs advantage in the backcourt? Yes I know about Kobe, but the Spurs, IMO, should be able to run circles around the Lakers, with Ginoboli, Parker, Hill, and Neal. Shouldn't this be brought up as well when discussing a Lakers vs. Spurs matchup?

While I agree that our back court is arguably better than theirs, its really not by much. They have capable role players.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2010, 11:05 PM
bonner n blair has no business being on the court at the same time.....its just asking for the other team to come inside and score at will

Sean Cagney
12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
We already knew this and have been over it, there is no way you can start either Bonner or Blair against LA and it's common sense.

BlairForceDejuan
12-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Pop's modus operandi in these match-ups is to (once the game proves to be tougher than initially thought, or at least hoped) play Blair sparingly, lean on Bonner heavily—presumably in the hopes that he can get hot from deep and negate the inevitable disadvantage in the paint and on the glass—and finally lean on McDyess heavily down the stretch.To the T.

S.A. reporters need to nut up and start pressing Pop on the mic.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
We already knew this and have been over it, there is no way you can start either Bonner or Blair against LA and it's common sense.

depends if bynum will be playin in the playoffs or calling early vacation

TJastal
12-24-2010, 08:19 AM
IMO Blair's a keeper, Bonner is not. Or in other words rebounding bigs > 3pt shooting bigs.

Horse
12-24-2010, 09:14 AM
True and I'm sick of hearing about bynum, if he even plays. I'd take love, or some of those other bigs over mr. glass.

Thompson
12-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Any chance we could add Bourousis next year, or does his contract prevent him from coming over this summer? I remember he said he would like to play for the Spurs when he comes over. Bourousis is more of a bruiser from what I understand. With him and Splitter at Center, we could be set for a little while.

xmas1997
12-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Without a consistent shut down defense, no team can win a championship, regardless of the potency of their offense. This has been proven year after year after year.
And the Spurs have not shown they have this quality yet.
They have shown the ability in a flash here and a flash there, but so have almost every team in the league.
The elite teams possess this defensive quality for the most part and are improving it everyday, whereas I cannot say this is the case with the Spurs this year.
They normally figure it out during their rodeo road trip, but show an ability to do it before then too. I honestly haven't see it this year yet.
I admit I am concerned despite the wins.
My hope is that the coaching staff and players will address this real soon, unless we just don't possess the personnel.
I don't care how many regular season wins you have, if you don't have consistent lock down defense, then you won't go far in the playoffs. It's that simple.

wunderkindepiphany
12-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Blair's horrible. Bonner's okay but makes a lot of mistakes defensively. It's going to have to be a steady diet of Tim/McDyess/Splitter against LA and BOS and if Bonner wants to play he needs to audition to play some small forward ball. Blair should be traded.

have you ever been on a team?

PublicOption
12-24-2010, 06:41 PM
the problem is too many non-calls.

fucking NBA.....still in control.

DMC
12-24-2010, 11:43 PM
To the T.

S.A. reporters need to nut up and start pressing Pop on the mic.

They tried that in the past, he had one barred from the sessions and that guy subsequently lost his job. Not a smart move.

DMC
12-24-2010, 11:47 PM
If Blair doesn't improve or if he doesn't get moved to a better position, he's going to likely be traded, or maybe just released? I am sure some teams would like to have him, but he's really a liability at the moment. You know, when you cheer a good move by him, you aren't used to seeing them. The new guys like Neal and Quinn are playing smart, not turning the ball over much and making Blair look like the rookie.

Surely the coaching staff knows he's a weakness by now. I like the guy a lot, I wish he would come off the bench instead, but Pop is what he is and I see Blair being gone by the trade deadline. I could be wrong. Usually am.

crc21209
12-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Love and Milicic have given everyone fits. And as long as Splitter continues to play more minutes as the season goes along we should be fine...

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Are you kidding? Blair's a horrible rebounder on both ends and is a loose ball foul champion.

:lol Not sure if serious...... If you are, you are fucking retarded.

Where do all these teenage grey named Spurs fans come from?

DMC
12-25-2010, 12:42 PM
:lol Not sure if serious...... If you are, you are fucking retarded.

Where do all these teenage grey named Spurs fans come from?

From they moms, they dads helped too, they were little bitty squirts.