PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson vs. Larry Brown vs. Pat Riley

monosylab1k
12-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Who is the best coach?

I personally think that all three are great, legendary head coaches. But they do have their flaws (no offense to them). Phil is terrific but he's always had superstar talent. Larry Brown is a great coach but he seems to get bored/frustrated easily and quits on his guys. Pat Riley has terrific hair (lol).

So who do you go with?

monosylab1k
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Didn't mess up the poll this time. Yes! :king:tongue

Rummpd
12-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Pop over any of them smart as any of them and not as full of himself

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Pat was good but he is no longer coaching (for now)

Larry is probably the best pure coach out of the 3 as far as maximizing talent.

Brown's probably the most respected in his circles, but he burns too many bridges and his schtick is getting old. Also, he seems burned out from an unhappy and bitter life while being stuck in a sexless marriage.

I'll go with Phil :tu

monosylab1k
Pop over any of them

Oooh! Good one! I forgot about Popovich! He should definitely be in the poll too. Grrrrrr it's probably cuz I'm a Mavs fan and I don't like the Spurs! ha ha!

Texas_Ranger
Pop. Don't have time to explain, cause the game is on, but I'm sure some guys will tell why he's the best.

Muser
12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Phil easily.

DPG21920
12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Mono melting down faster than the vanilla posts tbh...

monosylab1k
12-23-2010, 09:24 PM

:rolleyes Why is it that I can't just start a nice, safe thread discussing basketball without trolls coming in here and ruining it? Stop thinking you're so cool, with your "krew" and running around acting like an E-Thug!

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 09:25 PM

not really, he just took a shitty joke on my part too literally.

It'll blow over, life goes on.

8FOR!3
12-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Larry Brown is the best coach in the history of the NBA. He's taken less and made more out of it.

Rummpd
12-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Larry Brown is the best coach in the history of the NBA. He's taken less and made more out of it.

While ruining the confidence of many players - Brown is over-ranked with mulitple disaster coaching episodes and lived off a few successes.

DPG21920
12-23-2010, 09:31 PM
not really, he just took a shitty joke on my part too literally.

It'll blow over, life goes on.

Guy, I know these things. My patience is wearing out.

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Guy, I know these things. My patience is wearing out.

When he calms down I'll take him for some ice cream and everything will be kosher again.

I promise.

DPG21920
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Patience almost on "E"

LkrFan
12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
1. Phil Jackson
2. Pop
3. Riles
4. LB

monosylab1k
12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
:rolleyes See, this is why the NBA Forum is so terrible now! All these trolls derailing legitimate basketball discussions! Stop acting like cool E-thugs in a "krew" and talk basketball, please.

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes See, this is why the NBA Forum is so terrible now! All these trolls derailing legitimate basketball discussions! Stop acting like cool E-thugs in a "krew" and talk basketball, please.

Don't cry, Bastian. It's all part of the Neverending Story.

u4lakers14
12-23-2010, 10:42 PM
dude?

more rings that fingers?

ya, hes had some elite talent, but there are other coaches who have had elite talent basically their entire head coaching careers that have not even come close.

mavs>spurs
12-23-2010, 11:04 PM
RC seems the best of all now.

namlook
12-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Larry Brown is the best teacher and coach for a young team. He can do great things with young players but everyone eventually gets burned out dealing with his personality.

Phil is the best coach for a veteran team with talent. He doesn't micromanage like Larry does and he knows how to handle superstars. Larry would not have had the team success Phil had managing strong personalities like Jordan, Kobe and Shaq.

If you want the best coach for a young team you go with Larry Brown. If you have a veteran team you want to win championships with you go with Phil.

Pat Riley is a very good coach but he's not the teacher Larry is and he doesn't have Phil's player management skills. Pat has some of the anal retentive Larry Brown personality in him that wears on veterans. Riley and Shaq almost came to blows in Miami and Wade does not want Riley back as the Heat coach.

DMC
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Larry Brown copied Dean Smith's highly structured system. It doesn't work these days. Larry Brown is a tenured coach, and he's taken different teams to the show WITHOUT superstars (Iverson was never a real deal superstar).

Phil Jackson has ridden on the coattails of great players and good ownership/management.

The same can be said of Riley.

Pop is better than all of these. He's made brilliant moves during games that stumps the opponents and cancels their advantages many times. Phil just sits there and stares, Sloan does the same, Larry Brown begs and Pat Riley just takes notes.

DMC
12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Funny though coaches are almost always judged by these great turn arounds. Want a CotY award? Get a 1st overall pick and acquire some help... huge turnaround, CotY guaranteed. Avery Johnson is a prime example. Actually there are many good examples, Mike Brown is another.

namlook
12-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Larry Brown copied Dean Smith's highly structured system. It doesn't work these days. Larry Brown is a tenured coach, and he's taken different teams to the show WITHOUT superstars (Iverson was never a real deal superstar).

Phil Jackson has ridden on the coattails of great players and good ownership/management.

The same can be said of Riley.

Pop is better than all of these. He's made brilliant moves during games that stumps the opponents and cancels their advantages many times. Phil just sits there and stares, Sloan does the same, Larry Brown begs and Pat Riley just takes notes.

Total lack of insight here. Phil just sits there and stares? :lmao

Phil owns Pop in the playoffs.

u4lakers14
12-24-2010, 01:31 AM

you mean great players like tim duncan, manu ginobli, and tony parker?
name the big three in l.a. that have all been together as long as those 3?

if phil coached here with those players for ten straight years the spurs wouldnt have 4.

they would have 8.

LnGrrrR
12-24-2010, 03:19 AM
The rings say it all. It's Phil.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
All great coaches, and you should probably add Pop on that list as well.