PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Starters ALL under 30 mins expt RJ..was that the story?did POP tanked the game?

duncanCOSTARICA
12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
its early in the season did pop tanked?
thoughts?:wakeup

spurs1990
12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Back to back game.

The whole team was fatigued.

25-4 looks good nonetheless.

Refocus
12-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Pretty obvious what the answer is.

Spurs Brazil
We had no chance. Why keep them playing

xellos88330
I don't think that Pop really knew what to do against Orlando to begin with. New look teams always seem to give Pop issues.

I do however think that the effort could have at least been present. Aside from Duncan trying to get Howard in foul trouble, I didn't see anything that resembled the Spurs effort in the past games. Most likely fatigue, but it is still disappointing to see a player thinking trotting to close out on the arc is acceptable.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2010, 10:52 PM

we did had a chance, but pop was being a clown again this game

neal wasnt used properly or subbed in at the right time, then he got 2 quick shots and was subbed, as he finally got going the spurs went away from him and started going inside to duncan for his pathetic layup drills with no effort trying to draw the foul on howard.

the only thing im pissed with this game and most of the games this season? how come they dont run any plays for splitter down low, like make him work on his 1on1 game, most of his points have come from 2nd opportunities. i still dont like how he sets the screens and runs off quick then the man tryin to use the screen...

wildbill2u
12-23-2010, 11:57 PM
its early in the season did pop tanked?
thoughts?:wakeup

DIdn't you know Pop's secret? Pop desperately does not want to coach in the All-Star game

Sean Cagney
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Supergirl
12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Because above all, Pop tries to protect his players from the wear and tear of the season, knowing that the whole season is (hopefully) leading to the playoffs which is when you need guys healthy. It's the same reason Duncan hasn't played more than 30 min a game all season.

And this acute, spot on awareness of managing players minutes and wear and tear is one of the things that makes him the best coach in the league, IMO. No other coach does this particular skill as well.

Brox6
12-24-2010, 02:15 AM
just one of those nights

cutewizard
12-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Because above all, Pop tries to protect his players from the wear and tear of the season, knowing that the whole season is (hopefully) leading to the playoffs which is when you need guys healthy. It's the same reason Duncan hasn't played more than 30 min a game all season.

And this acute, spot on awareness of managing players minutes and wear and tear is one of the things that makes him the best coach in the league, IMO. No other coach does this particular skill as well.

Popovich rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horse
12-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't think that Pop really knew what to do against Orlando to begin with. New look teams always seem to give Pop issues.

I do however think that the effort could have at least been present. Aside from Duncan trying to get Howard in foul trouble, I didn't see anything that resembled the Spurs effort in the past games. Most likely fatigue, but it is still disappointing to see a player thinking trotting to close out on the arc is acceptable.
Funny how Timmy can't get a call to save his life anymore, it makes me fucking sick. My god patrick ewing used to get call out the ass cause of respect and he's no where near Ducan.

lefty
12-24-2010, 09:45 AM
English , dude

did Pop tank, not tanked

But what do I know, eh

xmas1997
12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
What I don't understand is why the Spurs aren't playing better more consistent defense, because they should be a lot better at it by now.
Have the coaching staff given up on defense this year? Because if they have, then they have given up on a championship as well because defense wins championships.
Granted, it is still quite early, but after watching all games so far, I see no significant progress in this area on any kind of consistent basis. The other elite teams are showing marked improvement in this area but not the Spurs this year, rather just occasional flashes at best.
My point is obvious, they should be a lot further along with their defense by now if they want to win a championship this year.

ChuckD
12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I think if it had gotten back down to 10, Pop would have sent in the cavalry, but why put TT,and M into the game down 19 with 6 mins to go?

BTW, big ups to Ime for not backing down from that poser Howard. I think it was a pretty punk move for SVG to dump his starters back into the game, and I'm sure Ime, among others, didn't like it one bit.

TJastal
12-24-2010, 10:06 AM
What I don't understand is why the Spurs aren't playing better more consistent defense, because they should be a lot better at it by now.
Have the coaching staff given up on defense this year? Because if they have, then they have given up on a championship as well because defense wins championships.
Granted, it is still quite early, but after watching all games so far, I see no significant progress in this area on any kind of consistent basis. The other elite teams are showing marked improvement in this area but not the Spurs this year, rather just occasional flashes at best.
My point is obvious, they should be a lot further along with their defense by now if they want to win a championship this year.

I totally agree with you, xmas1997. Last night was a defenite preview of what a playoff game is going to be like. The magic were playing very emotional and intense basketball in an effort to right a sinking ship and it appears the trade they made has made all the pieces fall in place.

Not having Hill has hurt some, but the biggest problem is Pop not playing Tiago Splitter when he's clearly healthy enough to play. I don't see a valid reason really that Splitter's minutes need to be pruned to such an extent. All its doing is holding back his confidence and progress. Pop's treating him like a 20 year old rookie just out of high school that's never played a day of professional basketball in his life. It's fucking disgusting, really.

Agloco
12-24-2010, 10:07 AM
i would want to and wear guys like kobe, gasol and dirk out

One game doesn't accomplish this.

.....how come they dont run any plays for splitter down low, like make him work on his 1on1 game, most of his points have come from 2nd opportunities. i still dont like how he sets the screens and runs off quick then the man tryin to use the screen...

In case you didn't get the memo, that's what Splitters game is. It's either a pick and roll or second chance trash buckets. Orlando had the PnR sniffed out, so the options were limited at that point.

Bartleby
12-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Last night was a defenite preview of what a playoff game is going to be like.

:rolleyes

Unless the NBA has changed the playoff scheduling format, the Spurs are not going to be playing back-to-back games in the playoffs.

Agloco
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM

They worked mostly on their offense in the off season, because that was the forte of the personnel they have. You can't turn players like RJ, Neal or Blair into defensive stalwarts. They are who they are, and Pop is well aware of the shortcomings of this group of personnel.

While I agree that the team defense could improve a bit, don't be under any illusions that this squad will ever be a top defensive crew. Not happening, especially on the back end of back to backs (on that note, look for a major ass whipping in Boston next week as well).

It would serve people well to forget about guys like Bowen, Horry, Robinson and Prime Duncan; they don't play basketball anymore. None of the people on our roster hold a candle to them.

I totally agree with you, xmas1997. Last night was a defenite preview of what a playoff game is going to be like. The magic were playing very emotional and intense basketball in an effort to right a sinking ship and it appears the trade they made has made all the pieces fall in place.

Not having Hill has hurt some, but the biggest problem is Pop not playing Tiago Splitter when he's clearly healthy enough to play. I don't see a valid reason really that Splitter's minutes need to be pruned to such an extent. All its doing is holding back his confidence and progress. Pop's treating him like a 20 year old rookie just out of high school that's never played a day of professional basketball in his life. It's fucking disgusting, really.

Ahhh yes, back to hanging yourself with your own rope and taking any chance to hate on Pop as well. :rolleyes

How many back to back games do you think the Spurs will be playing in the playoffs?

Yes, and a one game sample tells us all we need to know about the trades Orlando made right? :lol

lol TJ

TJastal
12-24-2010, 10:38 AM
:rolleyes

Unless the NBA has changed the playoff scheduling format, the Spurs are not going to be playing back-to-back games in the playoffs.

Yes, that's true. I'll give you that it was b2b. But the spurs were thoroughly crushed in this game, which shouldn't happen to a team that is 25-3.

IMO regardless of the b2b aspect, it felt like a playoff intense atmosphere, where defense starts to override offense and the spurs didn't get the memo.

To put it quite simply, the spurs are going to be hung out to dry with Matt Bonner playing significant minutes. It's clear that Splitter needs to be a bigger part of the rotation or the spurs need to engineer a trade for shotblocker. I would love to have Tyrus Thomas or Ian back. :depressed

TJastal
12-24-2010, 10:44 AM
They worked mostly on their offense in the off season, because that was the forte of the personnel they have. You can't turn players like RJ, Neal or Blair into defensive stalwarts. They are who they are, and Pop is well aware of the shortcomings of this group of personnel.

While I agree that the team defense could improve a bit, don't be under any illusions that this squad will ever be a top defensive crew. Not happening, especially on the back end of back to backs (on that note, look for a major ass whipping in Boston next week as well).

It would serve people well to forget about guys like Bowen, Horry, Robinson and Prime Duncan; they don't play basketball anymore. None of the people on our roster hold a candle to them.

Ahhh yes, back to hanging yourself with your own rope and taking any chance to hate on Pop as well. :rolleyes

How many back to back games do you think the Spurs will be playing in the playoffs?

Yes, and a one game sample tells us all we need to know about the trades Orlando made right? :lol

lol TJ

So basically you're saying the spurs can't play defense and are the new "suns". Thanks for clearing that up.

Spurs7794
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes, that's true. I'll give you that it was b2b. But the spurs were thoroughly crushed in this game, which shouldn't happen to a team that is 25-3.

IMO regardless of the b2b aspect, it felt like a playoff intense atmosphere, where defense starts to override offense and the spurs didn't get the memo.

To put it quite simply, the spurs are going to be hung out to dry with Matt Bonner playing significant minutes. It's clear that Splitter needs to be a bigger part of the rotation or the spurs need to engineer a trade for shotblocker. I would love to have Tyrus Thomas or Ian back. :depressed

Really?? How did this game have a playoff atmosphere? Not one Spur looked like he wanted to be there. This game had "we are not gonna put any effort in if its not close at halftime" written all over it. Now the game in SA a month ago when we locked Orlando down in the second half (when they were playing awesome), that game had a playoff atmosphere. As did last weeks game against Denver.

TJastal
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Really?? How did this game have a playoff atmosphere? Not one Spur looked like he wanted to be there. This game had "we are not gonna put any effort in if its not close at halftime" written all over it. Now the game in SA a month ago when we locked Orlando down in the second half (when they were playing awesome), that game had a playoff atmosphere. As did last weeks game against Denver.

I meant (and said I'm sure) Orlando was treating this game like it was a playoff game. Which is the type of effort that the spurs can expect to be seeing in the playoffs.

Agloco
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I meant (and said I'm sure) Orlando was treating this game like it was a playoff game.

Two major trades; and losing 8 out of 9 when you're supposedly a contender tend to be good motivational tools.

TJastal
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Two major trades; and losing 8 out of 9 when you're supposedly a contender tend to be good motivational tools.

Exactly. Thanks for adding to my point.

Spurs7794
12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I meant (and said I'm sure) Orlando was treating this game like it was a playoff game. Which is the type of effort that the spurs can expect to be seeing in the playoffs.

Ok I can agree with that. But I still think this game was not a barometer because the Spurs actually try in real playoff games and most big games. THis game, they tried for like 5 minutes and gave up.

Agloco
12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Exactly. Thanks for adding to my point.

You're quite welcome.

lol pointless point

TJastal
12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Ok I can agree with that. But I still think this game was not a barometer because the Spurs actually try in real playoff games and most big games. THis game, they tried for like 5 minutes and gave up.

The spurs were doing quite well until Pop brought in Bonner and Quinn. I thought those two players especially were completely worthless out there.

Spurs7794
12-24-2010, 11:36 AM
The spurs were doing quite well until Pop brought in Bonner and Quinn. I thought those two players especially were completely worthless out there.

I know you hate Bonner so its no point arguing for him....but did you want him to play Parker for 48 minutes? Without Hill, we gotta have Quinn. Actually, last night was a perfect example of why Hill is essential for this team. While Neal is a great scorer, hes not as steady as Hill is at his best and we desperately needed that steady presence off the bench.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Not having Hill has hurt some, but the biggest problem is Pop not playing Tiago Splitter when he's clearly healthy enough to play. I don't see a valid reason really that Splitter's minutes need to be pruned to such an extent.And you never will, no matter how many times it is spoon fed to you. You're just kind of stupid that way.
All its doing is holding back his confidence and progress.So now you can read Splitter's mind? :lmao

Oh TJ, I'm not confident because Pop is a meanyhead. Also I want Tyrus Thomas and Ian Mahinmi here to take more minutes away from me.

Your psychic pal,

T.S.

Why do you think NBA players are big pussies like yourself?

DMC
12-24-2010, 02:29 PM

I ain't mad, but you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I'm sure that's nothing new for you, but to say a team with a good record should never lose by 20 is just uneducated blather.

The 72-10 Bulls lost to the Knicks 104 - 72. Before that game the Bulls were 54 - 6. I guess no 54 - 6 team should lose by 32pts. That wasn't even on a back to back.

So, qualify your bullshit or just hold it in. I know it's hard not to say stupid shit, but at least provide effort.

mando6599
12-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I think if it had gotten back down to 10, Pop would have sent in the cavalry, but why put TT,and M into the game down 19 with 6 mins to go?

BTW, big ups to Ime for not backing down from that poser Howard. I think it was a pretty punk move for SVG to dump his starters back into the game, and I'm sure Ime, among others, didn't like it one bit.

I agree with you here. I kind of hoped one of his starters would get hurt only to show SVG that you don't show up a team like he was doing. And what was with all those 3's at the end ORL was throwing up. Granted, we weren't playing any D, but still, running up the score like that ticked me off.

mando

maddnezz
12-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I ain't mad, but you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I'm sure that's nothing new for you, but to say a team with a good record should never lose by 20 is just uneducated blather.

The 72-10 Bulls lost to the Knicks 104 - 72. Before that game the Bulls were 54 - 6. I guess no 54 - 6 team should lose by 32pts. That wasn't even on a back to back.

So, qualify your bullshit or just hold it in. I know it's hard not to say stupid shit, but at least provide effort.Good Shit lol!:toast

angelbelow
12-24-2010, 05:06 PM

So, qualify your bullshit or just hold it in. I know it's hard not to say stupid shit, but at least provide effort.

Oh wow, a post from you that I fully agree with. Good shit.

jjktkk
12-24-2010, 05:12 PM

:lmao

Sisk
12-24-2010, 05:22 PM
English , dude

did Pop tank, not tanked

But what do I know, eh

:lmao

Irony

Baseline
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
We started out decently, Parker was very aggressive early, and we got the 2nd foul on Howard. But when they continually hit every shot as the first quarter ended, I could tell it was going to be one of those nights. We tried to get the 3rd foul on howard, but obviously the refs weren't having it. So yes, Pop took his foot off the gas. As it turned out it was a smart move. The Magic shot the lights out, so nobody could have beaten them last night. The Spurs have games like that some nights as well, so what are you going to do?

The fact that we were 25-3 enabled Pop to let up and take this loss without a lot of pain.

We're 25-4 at Christmas. Frankly, that's unbelievable.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I think he tanked it......not giving the starters any minutes.....