PDA

View Full Version : Why does this coach...

TD 21
12-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Think he can get away with not playing his best personnel?

I don't get it. No one else in the league does this. This team has pulled a bunch of games out of their ass (which is par for the course considering the record they have; no one get's record like this playing brilliant ball every game). They could be legitimately beating teams and getting the key guys more rest if they'd start McDyess and use Splitter as the first big off the bench.

I was fine with not starting McDyess early, but it's now past a third of the season, he's barely played the last few weeks and it's not going to kill him if he plays 20 mpg as a starter. The odd game against a bottom feeder, they can start Blair and try to avoid playing McDyess, so as to preserve him. But at this point, he should be starting. I don't want to hear this "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. They're not winning games because Blair's starting, but rather in spite of it.

It's clear this is a very good shooting team. Even if they cool some, they're going to continue to be a good shooting team because they've got all the ingredients necessary to be one. But they don't need to be as heavily reliant as they are on shooting to win games (contrary to increasingly popular belief, they're not the Suns). Not when they have a trio of quality defensive bigs.

If defense is supposedly so damn important, then it's time this coach start practicing what he preaches.

BlairForceDejuan
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Who needs an inside presence when you have a spread floor on O!? Stop asking such stupid questions imo.

Blair Baggins and TRex arms should do alright against tri-7 foot Lakeshow and Chandler. No worries.

timvp
12-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Every fanbase in the NBA thinks the coach isn't playing the best personnel. Pop isn't alone.

4>0rings
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Every fanbase in the NBA thinks the coach isn't playing the best personnel. Pop isn't alone.
Why was Splitter highly coveted by the Spurs organization for years, and they finally sign him. Other coaches along with most media outlets praised the Splitter signing as one of the best in the NBA offseason. Spurs are lacking defense in the paint that Pop openly discusses he is not happy with at all.

Yet he refuses to give this guy any meaningful minutes to get acclimated to the system so he can be ready to contribute come playoffs. I don't understand this way of thinking.

4>0rings
12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
???????????????
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nba_g_bonner_ariza_576.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
did i tell you pop loves to get into his players asses when they are not playin the way he wants them too?

oh yes, ass...ass licking man...he likes the ass...how me ass taste

timvp
12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Why was Splitter highly coveted by the Spurs organization for years, and they finally sign him. Other coaches along with most media outlets praised the Splitter signing as one of the best in the NBA offseason. Spurs are lacking defense in the paint that Pop openly discusses he is not happy with at all.

Yet he refuses to give this guy any meaningful minutes to get acclimated to the system so he can be ready to contribute come playoffs. I don't understand this way of thinking.

Splitter isn't even 30 games into his rookie season. After not playing at all during the summer, in training camp or in preseason, it's going to take time. I'm not sure why Spurs fans are in such of a hurry.

Blackjack
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Agree or disagree with the way Pop's handling the personnel, his reasoning isn't a secret: preservation.

What he's trying to do is manage the team and its players in a way that allows them to get to the finish line healthy and playing their best ball at the right time. Whether it can be done the way he's doing it, I have my doubts. But when you're dependent on players like Tim and 'Dyess in the front court and an aging Ginobili to play at the level he's been ... becoming championship-caliber and first-round fodder are both possibilities.

As an aside, crazy how dependent this team has become on Hill and 'Dyess. Not the most important pieces but they're the two pieces of glue that pretty much hold this thing together on the defensive end.

TXstbobcat
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
then who's Baggins?

I think that the poster was comparing Blair to a hobbit.

TD 21
12-23-2010, 11:41 PM

I don't know of another team that stresses one thing so vociferously, then does the opposite of what's going to lead to success in that area. It makes no sense. The whole "preservation" logic makes no sense at this point.

They have the best record in the league and have a chance to finish that way, but it's not going to happen unless they can rely on their defense to win some games and that's not going to happen if the order of bigs 2-5 minutes continues to be: Bonner, Blair, McDyess, Splitter. Unless you think they're going to continue to win every close game via hot shooting.

Splitter isn't even 30 games into his rookie season. After not playing at all during the summer, in training camp or in preseason, it's going to take time. I'm not sure why Spurs fans are in such of a hurry.

What about acclimating him? They need him to be a big part of the team by the playoffs. They've got 53 games until then. Now is the time to start incorporating him.

Agree or disagree with the way Pop's handling the personnel, his reasoning isn't a secret: preservation.

What he's trying to do is manage the team and its players in a way that allows them to get to the finish line healthy and playing their best ball at the right time. Whether it can be done the way he's doing it, I have my doubts. But when you're dependent on players like Tim and 'Dyess in the front court and an aging Ginobili to play at the level he's been ... becoming championship-caliber and first-round fodder are both possibilities.

As an aside, crazy how dependent this team has become on Hill and 'Dyess. Not the most important pieces but they're the two pieces of glue that pretty much hold this thing together on the defensive end.

At this point, the preservation reason no longer cuts it. You want to win in the playoffs, it's best to have as high a seed as possible. They've got a legit chance at a number one seed, but it's not going to happen if the rotation he's using now is the one he continues to use. As I said, I'm not saying play McDyess 30 mpg, or Splitter for that matter. But them being the fourth and fifth bigs has to go.

Why wait for this team to fall back to the pack a bit? Why not be proactive and prevent something that doesn't have to happen, if the personnel is utilized correctly?

Hill is like a utility guy. An underrated strength of his is his ability to play big minutes and long stretches of minutes. That's more crucial on this team than any other team in the league.

L.I.T
12-23-2010, 11:42 PM

And then, when he finally does start playing meaningful minutes and fitting in, they'll say "See, Pop should have been playing him more earlier!" when his acclimation period is precisely the reason that he's would be playing well.

That being said, based on the last two games, he's looking more and more comfortable and should be getting steadily increased amount of minutes. Today, he showed some additional offensive moves (that dribble drive to the basket was exceptionally smooth for a big) and better awareness on defense (though he still made a couple of rotation errors and got lost). His rebounding issues I think are a product of timing and comfort, more than ability.

JustinJDW
12-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Eh, I get tired of trying to figure out CIA Pop. I just let him do what he does. We're 25-4 after all.

Its just kind of weird because you would think that team that talks about how we need to get better at defense, would start playing not only their best three defensive bigs, but best three overall bigs the most. Timmy, Dice and Splitter. But we are more of an offensive team now, so Bonner gets minutes, and I'm cool with that, because the guy shoots 3's at over 50%.

But I really don't get Blair starting. If Blair is still starting after the All Star Break, I'm going to be very worried. Pop can't possibly expect to put 6'6 Blair against ginormous frontcourts like the Lakers and Celtics and expect good results.

There's just no way he can expect good results from that.

Blackjack
12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
At this point, the preservation reason no longer cuts it. You want to win in the playoffs, it's best to have as high a seed as possible. They've got a legit chance at a number one seed, but it's not going to happen if the rotation he's using now is the one he continues to use. As I said, I'm not saying play McDyess 30 mpg, or Splitter for that matter. But them being the fourth and fifth bigs has to go.

Why wait for this team to fall back to the pack a bit? Why not be proactive and prevent something that doesn't have to happen if the personnel is utilized correctly?

I don't believe it's as cut and dried with this team. Not that Pop is doing what I would do if given the reins, but I can't pretend the Spurs going full-bore during the regular season is a recipe for big picture success -- if they manage to get the No. 1 seed with a weary-legged Manu or anyone else or after peaking too soon as a team (which is something I do believe is possible), what good is the seeding then? That's what I believe Pop struggles with, and I don't fault him for struggling with it.

I just disagree with his current methods.

Hill is like a utility guy. An underrated strength of his is his ability to play big minutes and long stretches of minutes.

I've always been a big fan of Indy, almost to a fault, so he's never been underrated as a player by me. But this team is vying for a championship, is now 25-4 and they're relying on a 6-2 combo guard and a 6-9 vet big man in his last year to be the glue that holds their D together. That ain't exactly ideal -- little margin for error due to both age and size.

DMC
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM
McDyess isn't doing too well physically. He complains about hurting and he probably doesn't want a lot of minutes. Pop has plenty of players to take those minutes. Pop is saying his guys for post season. It doesn't matter how well you do in the regular season as long as you make the playoffs. It all starts over after that. Pop's been at it long enough to know the score.

Why risk hurting someone like Tim or Tony just to look like they are trying harder? They still have the best record in the league and no one fucking cares... one more win wouldn't change that.

Blackjack
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
mcdyess is 6'10?

6-9.

SequSpur
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Gay....

Blackjack
12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
It doesn't matter how well you do in the regular season as long as you make the playoffs. It all starts over after that. Pop's been at it long enough to know the score.

That's just untrue. Of course seeding matters, you'd just prefer to be a lower seed if given the choice of good health or not.

If the Spurs get the No. 1 seed, they likely only have to play LA or Dallas. If not, they could very well have to play them both.

Pop's line about if you're good enough to win it shouldn't matter where you end up or who you have to play, is just that: a line.

Good fortune and luck always has a hand in determining the Champion. Things like seeding and matchups increase the odds and opportunities for those factors to come to fruition.

It's a fine line you have to balance, but you do have to balance it. And making blanket statements about how things like seeding don't matter isn't a successful methodology for doing so. That is, if it's a statement you live and coach by and not some loose rhetoric used as a ploy or some kind of reassuring words for a team to not panic or get uneasy.

TD 21
12-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't believe it's as cut and dried with this team. Not that Pop is doing what I would do if given the reins, but I can't pretend the Spurs going full-bore during the regular season is a recipe for big picture success -- if they manage to get the No. 1 seed with a weary-legged Manu or anyone else or after peaking too soon as a team (which is something I do believe is possible), what good is the seeding then? That's what I believe Pop struggles with, and I don't fault him for struggling with it.

I just disagree with his current methods.

I've always been a big fan of Indy, almost to a fault, so he's never been underrated as a player by me. But this team is vying for a championship, is now 25-4 and they're relying on a 6-2 combo guard and a 6-9 vet big man in his last year to be the glue that holds their D together. That ain't exactly ideal -- little margin for error due to both age and size.

I'm not advocating going full-bore or having Ginobili or anyone else weary-legged, I'm advocating making McDyess a starter and playing him roughly 20 mpg and playing Splitter about the same off the bench. That would instantly make the defense better and it wouldn't lead to wearing anyone out.

That's overstating it a bit. Truly, they're relying on Duncan to be the glue that holds their D together. But the Celtics are reliant on Garnett to do the same. People can rave about their size and depth of it, but if Garnett goes down, Davis or O'Neal the younger aren't replacing what he brings defensively. The Lakers are relying on the extremely fragile Bynum. Take the presence of a true center away and what do you have? Two big, skinny, finesse players and two fossils backing them up.

For all those fixated on the record, I don't want to say it's fools gold, because I believe this team is legitimately one of four teams with a shot to win the championship (Heat, not Mavs, being the fourth), but it's not entirely indicative of their level of play recently. And I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to hold off the Lakers, much less the Celtics and Mavs, if they continue to utilize the big rotation they currently are.

Blackjack
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm not advocating going full-bore or having Ginobili or anyone else weary-legged, I'm advocating making McDyess and starter and playing him roughly 20 mpg and playing Splitter about the same off the bench. That would instantly make the defense better and it wouldn't lead to wearing anyone out.

I know where you're coming from. But 'Dyess has always been a second-half player and has become a bench player in his own eyes. It's where he feels most comfortable and it's helped him to manage his game and body, something a vet really puts a lot of stock into -- and it only matters that he feels that way because it's all between the ears.

The way he started was pretty incredible, and I have to believe this being his last season and him seeing the finish line in sight had him going harder much earlier than usual. He's fallen off a bit in his physicality and it's a very real possibility Pop thought he'd have to save 'Dyess from himself under the circumstance, to make sure he was right for the long haul. Just a guess on my part, but who knows . . .

I'll tell you one thing though, I'd really like to know what happens if Splitter comes into camp healthy and rested. I liked Blair starting prior to the season and I'm still a pretty big believer in him as a player, but the reasoning was for him to both eat up minutes and use the minutes to continue his development. Had Splitter been an option though, the same logic and rationale could have been used with him as well, only he would've been a more ideal fit defensively.

That's overstating it a bit. Truly, they're relying on Duncan to be the glue that holds their D together. But the Celtics are reliant on Garnett to do the same. People can rave about their size and depth of it, but if Garnett goes down, Davis or O'Neal the younger aren't replacing what he brings defensively. The Lakers are relying on the extremely fragile Bynum. Take the presence of a true center away and what do you have? Two big, skinny, finesse players and two fossils backing them up.

Glue is glue. Duncan is foundation. When I say 'glue,' I mean they're the two guys that tie it all together. They're not the most significant and impactful pieces (although they're 2-4), but they are the finishing pieces that complete a puzzle -- or the glue that fills the gaps.

The Spurs need Hill's quickness to keep perimeter players out of the middle and they need 'Dyess to be that solid big he's been next to Tim in the playoffs. Outside of them, it's up to Splitter and Anderson, which, as I've been saying from the beginning, are key pieces to their championship hopes. And if neither of them is capable of being the player they need them to be or one or both isn't given the opportunity to prove one way or another their capability in fulfilling that needed role, then the Spurs better find a player or two that are.

The Spurs are close. Real, close. But they've still got to address those two spots big picture.

DJ Mbenga
12-24-2010, 12:56 AM
every fan base hates their coach. just be happy you dont have a legit crap coach.

rasho8
12-24-2010, 01:04 AM
You people need to calm the fuck down.

We have the best record in the league and as much as you THINK you are an NBA head coach... you aren't. You do not see the guys in practice. You don't know who is tired, who has a sore something, who is going to match up against the other players. You don't watch the film, you don't do the research, you don't know the guys.

Do not get me wrong I want to see Splitter as much as the next guy but for fuck;s sake. Oberto sat on the bench for a year, Manu sat on the bench for a year, JRich took a year to figure out wtf he was doing. Pop is pretty good at coaching and he knows his players better than we do.

Stop fucking whining every time (4! only 4 you fucks) we lose to a team on a back to back.

TD 21
12-24-2010, 01:05 AM
I know where you're coming from. But 'Dyess has always been a second-half player and has become a bench player in his own eyes. It's where he feels most comfortable and it's helped him to manage his game and body, something a vet really puts a lot of stock into -- and it only matters that he feels that way because it's all between the ears.

The way he started was pretty incredible, and I have to believe this being his last season and him seeing the finish line in sight had him going harder much earlier than usual. He's fallen off a bit in his physicality and it's a very real possibility Pop thought he'd have to save 'Dyess from himself under the circumstance, to make sure he was right for the long haul. Just a guess on my part, but who knows . . .

I'll tell you one thing though, I'd really like to know what happens if Splitter comes into camp healthy and rested. I liked Blair starting prior to the season and I'm still a pretty big believer in him as a player, but the reasoning was for him to both eat up minutes and use the minutes to continue his development. Had Splitter been an option though, the same logic and rationale could have been used with him as well, only he would've been a more ideal fit defensively.

Glue is glue. Duncan is foundation. When I say 'glue,' I mean they're the two guys that tie it all together. They're not the most significant and impactful pieces (although they're 2-4), but they are the finishing pieces that complete a puzzle -- or the glue that fills the gaps.

The Spurs need Hill's quickness to keep perimeter players out of the middle and they need 'Dyess to be that solid big he's been next to Tim in the playoffs. Outside of them, it's up to Splitter and Anderson, which, as I've been saying from the beginning, are key pieces to their championship hopes. And if neither of them is capable of being the player they need them to be or one or both isn't given the opportunity to prove one way or another their capability in fulfilling that needed role, then the Spurs better find a player or two that are.

The Spurs are close. Real, close. But they've still got to address those two spots big picture.

If that's such a big concern, then Splitter can start. I really don't care which one of the two does, as long as one of the two does. The other can be the first big off the bench.

If this coach really cares about defense, then that's how it's got to be. It's a minor miracle they've been top ten in efficiency with Blair and Bonner playing more than those two.

I'll tell you what happens: Blair starts and Splitter is relegated to fifth big status. I'm convinced Pop would have done this either way. Which one of "his guys" was he going to bench in favor of Splitter? The only possibility would have been benching McDyess early, but he could have done at anytime the past bunch of weeks and hasn't.

I know what you meant and knew how you'd respond, but the way I see it, Duncan is foundation, glue and any other term you want to use.

I agree about the importance of Splitter and Anderson. It's a long ways off, but with the way Neal is playing and the fact that Anderson will be behind, both conditioning-wise and because he's a rookie, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in the playoff rotation. As for Splitter, I think it's a coin flip between him and Blair as to who the backup five will be (after McDyess inevitably becomes the starting four).

ElNono
12-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Pop definitely has his own way of doing certain things.

When you contrast to another great coach like Phil Jackson, some things really stand out.
Phil plays his rooks/new role players early and often. He doesnt give a crap about the veteran pecking order. I still remember when Shannon Brown got to the Lakers he basically took over Sasha's minutes right away. It didn't matter that Sasha has been with the team before or knew the system.
I also never seen Phil wave the white flag early in the third quarter of any game.
Tonight was Pop's first time this season, and I doubt it will be the last. He definitely did that quite a bit last season, and it frankly sucks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing out a couple of contrasting points.
This is by no means a Fire Pop! post.

Capt Bringdown
12-24-2010, 01:36 AM

How is this observation relevant?

The question is who in fact is not playing the best personnel with regards to Splitter. The fact that all fanbases question coaching decisions does not make all said decisions wrong or right.

What's your point?

Blackjack
12-24-2010, 02:24 AM
If that's such a big concern, then Splitter can start. I really don't care which one of the two does, as long as one of the two does. The other can be the first big off the bench.

I'd be fine with that. Blair's really been a token starter and at this point, I don't see how Splitter replacing him would be detrimental to his health long term -- we're getting close to that 50-game (remaining) mark, which is about what Splitter's used to playing. I'd be absolutely fine if Tiago's workload and responsibilities started to increase now.

If this coach really cares about defense, then that's how it's got to be. It's a minor miracle they've been top ten in efficiency with Blair and Bonner playing more than those two.

Does he care? Yes. Does he care as much as he used to? Maybe, but I believe he's making do with the advanced age of Duncan and the type of personnel he has -- which is more offensively potent than defensive.

Reggie Miller was talking about the conversation he had with Pop prior to the game and that's essentially what he said. Pop just doesn't believe they can get it done the way the used to offensively, to the point that he's getting on the team more for their offense than defense. It's just a different team, according to Pop (via Miller).

I'll tell you what happens: Blair starts and Splitter is relegated to fifth big status. I'm convinced Pop would have done this either way. Which one of "his guys" was he going to bench in favor of Splitter? The only possibility would have been benching McDyess early, but he could have done at anytime the past bunch of weeks and hasn't.

I believe Blair starts initially, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see either; a.) Blair get off to a better start because of the competition; or b.) Pop hand the reins over to Tiago if Blair looked as bad as he did to start this year. But who knows, just interesting to think about.

I know what you meant and knew how you'd respond, but the way I see it, Duncan is foundation, glue and any other term you want to use.

Not even at his greatest could he do it alone, no one can or has. You need those role players and glue guys to get it done. 'Dyess and Hill are the two most important such guys when it comes to the defensive end.

I agree about the importance of Splitter and Anderson. It's a long ways off, but with the way Neal is playing and the fact that Anderson will be behind, both conditioning-wise and because he's a rookie, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in the playoff rotation. As for Splitter, I think it's a coin flip between him and Blair as to who the backup five will be (after McDyess inevitably becomes the starting four).

If it all works perfectly for Pop, I think Neal and Anderson are an either-or based on matchup and performance. Not a lot of minutes to be had at the 2/3, it's going to take one hell of a feel and some good coaching to play the right guys at the right times.

And Splitter, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty confident Pop believes he needs Splitter's potential more than Blair's big picture, but I just don't know if he believes that potential is capable of being fulfilled this year. It really just comes down to if Pop believes this year is for Tiago or not. Hopefully he doesn't really view him the same as Oberto or won't feel like he made the same kind of mistake he made with Hill.

jjktkk
12-24-2010, 02:30 AM

I don't get it. No one else in the league does this .

I haven't heard one NBA person, or ESPN, TNT, etc... do anything but praise the Spurs so far this season. So unless you can be more specific about the "league" not getting it, I'm going to assume your making shit up to try a prove your point.

This team has pulled a bunch of games out of their ass (which is par for the course considering the record they have; no one get's record like this playing brilliant ball every game). They could be legitimately beating teams and getting the key guys more rest if they'd start McDyess and use Splitter as the first big off the bench.

So your unhappy that the Spurs aren't winning legitimately? I've never heard someone complain about winning legitimately before. I'm happy with any win.

I was fine with not starting McDyess early, but it's now past a third of the season, he's barely played the last few weeks and it's not going to kill him if he plays 20 mpg as a starter. The odd game against a bottom feeder, they can start Blair and try to avoid playing McDyess, so as to preserve him. But at this point, he should be starting. I don't want to hear this "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. They're not winning games because Blair's starting, but rather in spite of it.

It's clear this is a very good shooting team. Even if they cool some, they're going to continue to be a good shooting team because they've got all the ingredients necessary to be one. But they don't need to be as heavily reliant as they are on shooting to win games (contrary to increasingly popular belief, they're not the Suns). Not when they have a trio of quality defensive bigs.

If defense is supposedly so damn important, then it's time this coach start practicing what he preaches.

If you would read some of the Pop interviews posted by Duncan228 on here you would realize that because this team no longer possesses the ability to shut down their opponent on a regular basis defensively, Pop had to change this team to be a more attacking, offensive minded, bunch. If you think that Pop totally quit preaching defense, then your clueless. Judging by your ranting and raving about Splitter on quite a few posts, you expected Splitter to come in from day 1 and instantly become a regular in the rotation, regardless of the fact that Splitter missed all of training camp, and the preseason with injuries and regardless of the fact that Splitter is a rookie trying to learn a new and complex Spurs system. IMO that thinking is a bit far fetched. I actually feel alittle sorry for that you can't sit back and enjoy the great start the Spurs are having so far this season.

TD 21
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Does he care? Yes. Does he care as much as he used to? Maybe, but I believe he's making do with the advanced age of Duncan and the type of personnel he has -- which is more offensively potent than defensive.

Reggie Miller was talking about the conversation he had with Pop prior to the game and that's essentially what he said. Pop just doesn't believe they can get it done the way the used to offensively, to the point that he's getting on the team more for their offense than defense. It's just a different team, according to Pop (via Miller).

That's fine, then he needs to stop pretending defense if of the utmost importance to him. That or stop expecting better results out of the rotation he's playing. It makes no sense to use McDyess sparingly and not have Splitter in the rotation, then harp about the defense. As I said, it's a minor miracle they're top ten in efficiency (or at least, were top ten).

Not even at his greatest could he do it alone, no one can or has. You need those role players and glue guys to get it done. 'Dyess and Hill are the two most important such guys when it comes to the defensive end.I get that. I said he was "everything" half jokingly. I agree, though.

If it all works perfectly for Pop, I think Neal and Anderson are an either-or based on matchup and performance. Not a lot of minutes to be had at the 2/3, it's going to take one hell of a feel and some good coaching to play the right guys at the right times. Yeah, I think that's how it'll work as well. If it's a swing game in a series or a closeout game, Pop could conceivably just play the top four perimeter guys. Even in the other games, you're right, there's not a lot of minutes to be had.

And Splitter, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty confident Pop believes he needs Splitter's potential more than Blair's big picture, but I just don't know if he believes that potential is capable of being fulfilled this year. It really just comes down to if Pop believes this year is for Tiago or not. Hopefully he doesn't really view him the same as Oberto or won't feel like he made the same kind of mistake he made with Hill.Whether it's capable of being fulfilled this year or not, he's got to try. Because he's the piece that will dictate whether they can win it or not. Potentially, a championship making or breaking decision.

I haven't heard one NBA person, or ESPN, TNT, etc... do anything but praise the Spurs so far this season. So unless you can be more specific about the "league" not getting it, I'm going to assume your making shit up to try a prove your point.

That's not what I said, genius. Re-read it five more times and you might be able to comprehend half of it. Being that it is rocket-science and all.

So your unhappy that the Spurs aren't winning legitimately? I've never heard someone complain about winning legitimately before. I'm happy with any win.That's not what I said, genius. Re-read it five more times and you might be able to comprehend half of it. Being that it is rocket-science and all.

If you would read some of the Pop interviews posted by Duncan228 on here you would realize that because this team no longer possesses the ability to shut down their opponent on a regular basis defensively, Pop had to change this team to be a more attacking, offensive minded, bunch. If you think that Pop totally quit preaching defense, then your clueless. Judging by your ranting and raving about Splitter on quite a few posts, you expected Splitter to come in from day 1 and instantly become a regular in the rotation, regardless of the fact that Splitter missed all of training camp, and the preseason with injuries and regardless of the fact that Splitter is a rookie trying to learn a new and complex Spurs system. IMO that thinking is a bit far fetched. I actually feel alittle sorry for that you can't sit back and enjoy the great start the Spurs are having so far this season.

Thank you for the update. I had no idea the team had changed over the years. As for the rest of this . . . that's not what I said, genius. Re-read it five more times and you might be able to comprehend half of it. Being that it is rocket-science and all.

jjktkk
12-24-2010, 03:06 AM

I don't get it. No one else in the league does this. This team has pulled a bunch of games out of their ass (which is par for the course considering the record they have; no one get's record like this playing brilliant ball every game). They could be legitimately beating teams and getting the key guys more rest if they'd start McDyess and use Splitter as the first big off the bench.

That's fine, then he needs to stop pretending defense if of the utmost importance to him. That or stop expecting better results out of the rotation he's playing. It makes no sense to use McDyess sparingly and not have Splitter in the rotation, then harp about the defense. As I said, it's a minor miracle they're top ten in efficiency (or at least, were top ten).

I get that. I said he was "everything" half jokingly. I agree, though.

Yeah, I think that's how it'll work as well. If it's a swing game in a series or a closeout game, Pop could conceivably just play the top four perimeter guys. Even in the other games, you're right, there's not a lot of minutes to be had.

Whether it's capable of being fulfilled this year or not, he's got to try. Because he's the piece that will dictate whether they can win it or not. Potentially, a championship making or breaking decision.

That's not what I said, genius. Re-read it five more times and you might be able to comprehend half of it. Being that it is rocket-science and all.

Thank you for the update. I had no idea the team had changed over the years. As for the rest of this . . . that's not what I said, genius. Re-read it five more times and you might be able to comprehend half of it. Being that it is rocket-science and all.

Excuse me coach Einstein, do you know what the definition of "quote" is? Did I change any words in your thread? I replied to your quotes. Why do you keep stating "thats not what I said"?

TD 21
03-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Three months later and not a damn thing's changed. This team is slipping defensively by the game, as well as on the glass. The defensive efficiency and opposition field goal percentage are creeping right back to where they were the last two season's, when neither were good enough to to win a championship.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team's biggest obstacle to winning the championship is not the Lakers front line, it's their own damn coach. He's preaching defense, then resorting to playing Blair-Bonner together for stretches. They're bad enough defensively on their on. Together, they have no chance at approaching adequate.

I'm at the point now, where I almost hope one of these two get's injured for a few weeks (though it would hurt with Duncan out), so that he no longer has the option of playing them together. If Bonner is out, he'd probably just play Novak. But if Blair is out, he'll be forced to play Splitter.

That's what it's come to.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
To be fair, I don't remember the last time Pop preached defense. He's pretty much had a fucking boner for veterans and three point shooters for a while now, and the only reason they won the title in 2007 is because Robert Horry is both of those, and actually played defense.

JustinJDW
03-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Every fanbase in the NBA thinks the coach isn't playing the best personnel. Pop isn't alone.Pretty much this.

jjktkk
03-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Pretty much this.

The funny part is it only takes one loss for it to happen.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Pretty much this.

Pretty much not. This particular coach has a consistent pattern of favoring veterans over young players, three point shooting over defense, and randomly punishing certain guys over and over and over. If someone can name another coach that set a franchise record for wins in a season, only to completely overhaul his rotation and stop playing both his centers for a failed playoff run, I'd be interested to know about it.