PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson needs to get more shot attempts near the rim.

Chieflion
12-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Thought I should get this off my chest. Over the last month, I thought RJ has been less involved in the offense. Yes, his 3s have improved, but it is no reason to park him at the 3 point line all game.

Richard Jefferson has been a huge part of the Spurs' resurgence this season, particularly in November, when he scored 14.7 points per game that month. This month, he scored 12.8 points per game, it could improve, but who knows. He has been rebounding far better this month, so props to him.

I am going to compare Richard Jefferson's shot attempts this season, compared to last season.

2009-2010 (9.6 shot attempts including 2.3 three point shot attempts, 3.5 FTs per game)

2010-2011 (9.6 shot attempts including 4.1 three point shot attempts, 3.7 FTs per game)

So, wait a minute. What is the difference? All the talk about RJ's improvement was just at the 3 point line, plus he had to sacrifice more shots closer to the rim. Should Richard Jefferson be rewarded more shot attempts, or at least more plays for him? Per 36 minutes, it is clear Richard Jefferson's attempts have decreased since last season instead. Is this how the Spurs offense rewards people, even with the increased pace?

It is clear that Richard Jefferson is also extremely important to the Spurs offense and re-modeled his game. This season, will be by far the most 3s he has taken in his career. His efficiency on the offensive end is just phenomenal. 63.4 TS% is extremely good and it shows RJ's dedication to the Spurs. RJ's usage percentage, however, has dipped from last season, from 18.3 to 17.4%. Yes, it is true his assist percentage has dropped significantly.

On to the next stat, offensive rating. Last season, Richard Jefferson had a 110 rating. This season, he has a rating of 123. Well, 123 isn't unheard of from ridiculously good shooters. It again shows how insanely efficient on offense the Spurs are when Richard Jefferson is in the game. Even with George Hill and James Anderson out, the Spurs have not found ways to get Richard Jefferson more involved outside of the 3 point shooting.

Where were the plays that got RJ easy baskets at the rim? I only saw the alley-oop plays and not much else. Where was the Duncan back pick backdoor cut? This hasn't really been showcased. Richard Jefferson's athletic abilities should be maximized near the rim to give the Spurs an option to create easy baskets instead of dying by the 3.

This is not a complaint, the Spurs are 25-4. We are all happy, but improvements can always be made and as good as the offense is, it could be better, and this is it. Richard Jefferson may be only our fourth option, but a very reliable one indeed.

TJastal
12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Thought I should get this off my chest. Over the last month, I thought RJ has been less involved in the offense. Yes, his 3s have improved, but it is no reason to park him at the 3 point line all game.

Richard Jefferson has been a huge part of the Spurs' resurgence this season, particularly in November, when he scored 14.7 points per game that month. This month, he scored 12.8 points per game, it could improve, but who knows. He has been rebounding far better this month, so props to him.

I am going to compare Richard Jefferson's shot attempts this season, compared to last season.

2009-2010 (9.6 shot attempts including 2.3 three point shot attempts, 3.5 FTs per game)

2010-2011 (9.6 shot attempts including 4.1 three point shot attempts, 3.7 FTs per game)

So, wait a minute. What is the difference? All the talk about RJ's improvement was just at the 3 point line, plus he had to sacrifice more shots closer to the rim. Should Richard Jefferson be rewarded more shot attempts, or at least more plays for him? Per 36 minutes, it is clear Richard Jefferson's attempts have decreased since last season instead. Is this how the Spurs offense rewards people, even with the increased pace?

It is clear that Richard Jefferson is also extremely important to the Spurs offense and re-modeled his game. This season, will be by far the most 3s he has taken in his career. His efficiency on the offensive end is just phenomenal. 63.4 TS% is extremely good and it shows RJ's dedication to the Spurs. RJ's usage percentage, however, has dipped from last season, from 18.3 to 17.4%. Yes, it is true his assist percentage has dropped significantly.

On to the next stat, offensive rating. Last season, Richard Jefferson had a 110 rating. This season, he has a rating of 123. Well, 123 isn't unheard of from ridiculously good shooters. It again shows how insanely efficient on offense the Spurs are when Richard Jefferson is in the game. Even with George Hill and James Anderson out, the Spurs have not found ways to get Richard Jefferson more involved outside of the 3 point shooting.

Where were the plays that got RJ easy baskets at the rim? I only saw the alley-oop plays and not much else. Where was the Duncan back pick backdoor cut? This hasn't really been showcased. Richard Jefferson's athletic abilities should be maximized near the rim to give the Spurs an option to create easy baskets instead of dying by the 3.

This is not a complaint, the Spurs are 25-4. We are all happy, but improvements can always be made and as good as the offense is, it could be better, and this is it. Richard Jefferson may be only our fourth option, but a very reliable one indeed.

Personally I think this is a good idea. Come up with at least one more way for Jefferson and the ball to meet near the rim. Props to TP for singlehandedly taking up Richard's cause with the daily highlight reel 'oops. But no I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Pop to draw up another set play for Richard, however.

I just think Pop has always just preferred his 3pt shooting more. It's the reason Malik Hairston is no longer a spur. I'm not sure he'll every really get out of this way of thinking, its too engrained now. Maybe he'll figure it out once the big 3 can no longer be a perennial threat for a championship in the nba.

Speaking of which, the magic seem to have finally learned their lesson the hard way that you cannot survive very long on 3pt shooting alone in this league, albeit paying a heavy price. Will Pop ever understand this concept? I don't know. I see he still values Matt Bonner's dubious 3pt shooting over the multi-faceted game of Splitter. This is probably the litmus test, however, so I'd say not for awhile, maybe a long while.

diego
12-24-2010, 06:19 AM
I've been saying the same, so has sean elliott... the big difference from last year and this year, besides the big 3 being healthy, is RJ's increased contribution. As the season progresses however, it seems RJ is getting phased out. Tony and manu have to make sure RJ gets at least 10 FGA per game, preferably 12. Its much more important for RJ to play well than for Splitter to play well

(i make these comments without having seen or even read much about the game last night)

DMC
12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
One of the major obstacles to overcome here is that Pop has coached 4 championship teams and we (and Elliott) have coached none, so... he might not listen to us.