PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Colangelo: Hall of fame?

SequSpur
09-11-2004, 01:17 PM
For what?

Dude hasn't won shit. Hasn't created a team that has won shit. He really hasn't done anymore than anyone else. He created the WNBA? Uh.. okay... Better give him his award now before it goes bankrupt and those horses are back overseas playing ball again.

IMO, the hall of fame is no longer the hall of fame, if overrated execs like Colangelo can get in.. :gun

There is a bar in competition sports. Its called winning. You don't get shit for signing anyone, you don't get shit for creating a new jersey, you don't get shit for building an arena. You don't get shit for creating a league that was going to come anyway with the women sports movement. WTF? I should be in the hall of fame too. **** it.

Vote for me.

Solid D
09-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Re: Jerry Colango: Hall of fame?

Earnie Banks never won anything. It's called a Hall of Faaaaaaame. Not Hall of Riiiiiiiiiiings.

Most people spell it Colangelo.

Get more rest.

SequSpur
09-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Understood, but Colangelose? For what? Why? What is the bar? Where do you draw the line?

Outside of Phoenix, who gives a crap about Colangelose?

alamo50
09-12-2004, 11:01 AM
JERRY COLANGELO, a native of Chicago Heights, Illinois, has been involved in basketball since earning All-State selection honors at Bloom Township (IL.) High School in 1957 and then becoming an All-Conference selection at the University of Illinois in 1961 and 1962. Colangelo's professional career began in 1966 when he was named head scout and sales/promotion manager of the expansion Chicago Bulls. Two years later, in 1968, he was named general manager of the expansion Phoenix Suns. At age 28, he was the youngest general manager in professional sports. Now the CEO and Chairman of the Phoenix Suns, Colangelo has been named NBA Executive of the Year four times (1976, 1981, 1989, 1993) and oversees a club that, over the last 23 years, is the fifth winningest franchise in the NBA. During Colangelo's tenure as President and CEO of the Suns (1987-99), the club advanced to the NBA Finals in 1976 and 1993.

Under Colangelo's leadership, the Suns drafted Georgi Glouchkov of Bulgaria in 1985, making him the first player from behind the iron curtain to sign an NBA contract. In 1988, the Suns played the Utah Jazz in Japan, the first time that NBA teams played regular season games outside of North America. Colangelo is a member of the NBA's Board of Governors (1968 - present), on the NBA Expansion Committee and Chairman of the Competition and Rules Committee. He was instrumental in helping found the WNBA.

:next3

E20
09-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Clyde made it to the HOF.:fro
http://home.globalcrossing.net/~variable/clyde5.jpg

SequSpur
09-12-2004, 03:32 PM
I wish some one would ban Alamo50.

Fucking poser.

Solid D
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Better watch out Sequ. Jurgen could beat you up with one hand while plugging the hole (with the other hand) in that leaking dike over there in Holland.

exstatic
09-12-2004, 11:37 PM
He's a poser because he shreds your argumnent, shrimp?:served

Shelly
09-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Better watch out Sequ. Jurgen could beat you up with one hand while plugging the hole (with the other hand) in that leaking dike over there in Holland.

And while wearing wooden shoes!

http://www.bsu.edu/classes/ruch/msa/tansey/2-3.gif

Solid D
09-12-2004, 11:52 PM
:lol Great pic, Shelly.

SequSpur
09-13-2004, 12:13 AM
No Excrackuser. I was born in England and Jurqueer is from Holland....... Get it? You damn yankee.

Also......................

Because he has Utah Jazz hats displayed next to his David posters.

He runs his mouth on another forum re: this forum. And then he comes in here and tells everyone FU.

Also, because he posts stupid shit regarding Colangelo.
None of that is worthy of an induction to the hall of fame where the greats belong. Dude has never won shit. Never..

Alamo is really not a Spurs fan IMO. Just a David Robinson Stalker.

So blow me.

:blah

http://www.woody2shoes.com/images/wooden%20shoes,classic%20yellow.jpg

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 03:47 AM
For Sequ ... Read and open your mind. You'll see there are many reasons why Colangelo made the Hall.

Colangelo's crazy, tragic summer culminates with HOF induction
Sept. 13, 2004
By Mike Kahn

As a sports entrepreneur, Jerry Colangelo had been through all the peaks and valleys before everything thing fell into place for him in the Valley of Sun.

But nothing prepared him for this summer. There are no mental gymnastics, nor is there such a thing as experience in these cases ... not even for someone at his level of success at the age of 64.

"I can't even begin to explain how all of this feels," Colangelo said. "In some respects, I feel great. In others, well, I'm just not sure how to put it."

The great stuff is obvious. Colangelo was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass., over the weekend.

His 36 years as coach, general manager, president, managing general partner and chairman since the inception of the Phoenix Suns franchise has been unprecedented in the NBA ... not to mention countless seasons as the head of the league's competition committee.

And nobody else inducted this year, not Clyde Drexler, Lynette Woodard, Maurice Stokes, Drazen Dilipagic or Bill Sharman, had the posse to compare to everyone Colangelo brought with him to Springfield.

After all, his crew did add up to more than 70 people. Witnesses claim there were at least 10 times as many congratulatory ads in the Hall of Fame program for Colangelo than anyone else.

"There's nothing else to say but this a great honor," Colangelo said. "And I owe a debt of gratitude to a lot of people."

But getting to this weekend was no easy task.

At the end of June, he and his partners sold his basketball baby -- the Suns -- to real estate magnate Robert Sarver for a record $401 million. The deal allows him to remain active in the organization for at least three years -- including son Bryan maintaining his role as president for these first three years of transition.

Adding closure to the transition was a devastating experience; his friend, employee and basketball colleague Cotton Fitzsimmons died of complications from cancer in July. Fitzsimmons had been battling the disease, then had a stroke, and well, this vital man often perceived as the Mark Twain of basketball broke a lot of hearts when he passed away.

"Cotton ... Cotton, he was such a special friend to me," Colangelo said. "It was a very difficult time for all of us, and a loss to more people than anybody knows."

And to top it off, the ownership of the Arizona Diamondbacks essentially told Colangelo to buzz off after this season.

Keep in mind, he was the man who acquired the franchise through his work with Major League Baseball and was the managing general partner. So instead of hanging around until the end of the season, he just resigned his position two weeks ago, saying, "I'd had enough of that. There was no point sticking around."

The thing about Jerry Colangelo is, he gets it. He always has, with boundless energy and vision. He is a businessman who knows sports and a sportsman who knows business. There are many who believed he might be governor of Arizona one day, if he so desired.

He moved to Phoenix in 1968 as the original mover and shaker from Chicago.

He was the youngest general manager in professional sports at the age of 28 and served as coach twice -- once after firing Johnny Kerr and the other after firing Butch Van Breda Koff. He followed up the first trip by hiring Fitzsimmons, the second with John MacLeod.

And when the franchise was on the verge of complete collapse when too many players were involved in a local cocaine sting, Colangelo put a group together to buy it for $44 million in the fall of 1987. He then set a standard for NBA arenas with the sightlines and amenities that came with the construction of America West Arena in 1992.

"Jerry has been involved in every aspect of our business and is universally accepted as the principal basketball expert among our Board of Governors," NBA commissioner David Stern said.

But as the sun sets these days, Colangelo has taken a timeout. The sale of the Suns has set up his family for life -- his wife, Joan, who he met on a blind date in college, their four children and 10 grandchildren will have whatever they need.

And sure, he will always be on the board of the Suns and an adviser to the NBA, not to mention the countless boards and foundations on which he sits in the Phoenix area.

Nonetheless, it's hard to fathom Jerry Colangelo ever sitting idly by as the world continues to spin without moving and shaking ... particularly the basketball world in which he has played just a significant role since 1968.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll find something to do," Colangelo said. "But the way the past few months have gone in my life, it's time to stop and take a deep breath."

Because every breath he takes is indeed rarified air.

www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7677828/2 (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7677828/2)

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 03:52 AM
In case it's too long for you.

His 36 years as coach, general manager, president, managing general partner and chairman since the inception of the Phoenix Suns franchise has been unprecedented in the NBA

He was the youngest general manager in professional sports at the age of 28

And when the franchise was on the verge of complete collapse when too many players were involved in a local cocaine sting, Colangelo put a group together to buy it for $44 million in the fall of 1987. He then set a standard for NBA arenas with the sightlines and amenities that came with the construction of America West Arena in 1992.

Shelly
09-14-2004, 11:03 AM
:lol

Kori, was that the Cliff Notes version?

alamo50
09-14-2004, 06:29 PM
The bad part is that Sequ ain't just this annoying during the offseason.......

The good part is that his comments are just as low to the ground as his height so we can overlook them with little trouble.

:hang

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 07:43 PM
STFU Alamo.

Kori,

Add this to your cliff notes.

0 Championships.

:sleep

alamo50
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
:rollin

Solid D
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
0 Championships

Maybe he should be in the baseball Hall of Fame, based on your criteria. He does have a Championship, after all.