PDA

View Full Version : Florida writer disses Spurs

LakerGod
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050527/COLUMNISTS0602/505270344/1113/SPORTS

We Need The Suns To Rise

By Corey Long
[email protected] ([email protected])

Don't say I hate San Antonio, because it's not true.

That being said, for the sake of the NBA and its fans, it's important for Phoenix to make an improbable comeback, win the Western Conference and advance to the NBA Finals.

It's nothing personal against the Spurs. Tim Duncan is great. I love that Tony Parker drags Eva Longoria everywhere with him. Manu Ginobili has taken the flop to another level. Even Nazr Mohammed looks halfway coherent in the Spurs' offense.

That being said, the Suns are the league's biggest attraction for one simple reason -- they score points.

In the simplest of times, basketball was made around one objective -- score more than the other team.

These days, the terminology is over-diluted with hand checks, man zones, defending the high screen and posting up on the left block.

Today's NBA is so confusing, it's no wonder the coaches have forgotten to teach scoring.

But even in tough times the Suns have kept it real. Head coach Mike D'Antoni saw a starting five of Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Quentin Richardson, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion.

Then he saw a bench thinner than the Olsen twins and realized that he didn't want to go there.

So the solution was simple. The Suns decided to run the floor and score at a blistering pace, pleasing the fans and the media.

Defense? Who needs it.

Besides the more defense you play, the greater chance of getting fouls called. More fouls means D'Antoni has to look to his bench.

And the bench doesn't want to be bothered. Look at Jake Voskuhl; he's almost asleep. And Paul Shirley is chatting on his cell phone.

I can't lie -- I wrote off the Suns initially. I called them a flash in the pan. I even said I'd vote for Shaq over Nash for the MVP. This was wrong. I need the Suns. The people need the Suns. Basketball fans have been denied a professional team that can score for too long.

Even better than that, the Suns force their opponents to score. Before this series was set, the scoreboards in San Antonio probably didn't have three digits on them.

There's no way the Spurs can keep up with the scoring pace they've set: 121 points in Game 1 and 111 points in Game 2. They've already hit their threegame total from the 2003 Finals against the Nets.

Meanwhile, more Phoenix means more Stoudemire. How is it that this guy is having the best playoff run of anyone since Jordan and all we keep talking about is Shaq's thigh?

Stoudemire is averaging 28 points and 11 boards and he's just 21 years old. He's already better than Moses Malone.

And check out Nash, the league's MVP. He scores 48 one night in Dallas and gets a tripledouble the next.

Winning 4 of the next five against the Spurs is more than a tall order. But the Lakers were down 0-2 against the Spurs last year and won four straight, so it's definitely possible.

In all likelihood the Suns will set in five, maybe six games. They will take their aggressive offense with them, leaving us to suffer through another NBA finals chock full of isolation plays.

In spite of all that, hopefully the Suns will decide to keep running and maybe the rest of the league will run with them.

Corey Long can be reached at [email protected] ([email protected]) or at 863-802-7556.

Zarko_Paspalj
05-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Too bad Mr. Long won't get his wish.

leemajors
05-27-2005, 11:15 PM
better than moses malone? fool needs to watch some tape

Guru of Nothing
05-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Okay folks, email corey long. Without our attention he will never, ever get the money required to fund his education.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050527/COLUMNISTS0602/505270344/1113/SPORTS

We Need The Suns To Rise

By Corey Long
[email protected] ([email protected])

the Suns are the league's biggest attraction for one simple reason -- they score points.

In the simplest of times, basketball was made around one objective -- score more than the other team.
Corey Long can be reached at [email protected] ([email protected]) or at 863-802-7556.

Tek_XX
05-27-2005, 11:18 PM
He does make an excellant point about them being able to score points, problem is we score more points.

CHAMPS AGAIN
05-27-2005, 11:20 PM

We Need The Suns To Rise

By Corey Long

the Suns are the league's biggest attraction for one simple reason -- they score points.

Hey IDIOT the Spurs did just that they scored more points than the other team.

MI21
05-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Best playoff run since Jordan?

I guess Tim Duncan's 25/15/5/4 run through 24 games culminating in a near quadruple double wasn't that good.

shyne
05-27-2005, 11:37 PM
this is the stupidest article yet

mrpach
05-27-2005, 11:49 PM
"How is it that this guy is having the best playoff run of anyone since Jordan "

Jordan and Pippen were recognized defensive players right?
So whats wrong with defense :confused

spursupporter
05-27-2005, 11:50 PM
go and eat sh!t MR COREY LONG !

Dex
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
People hate what is foreign to them.

Phoenix writers/fans hate defense.

Do I need to put this into analogy form, or is the point understood?

Sonia_TX
05-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Maybe he figures that it'd be easier for Miami to win if they play Phoenix. :P

Solid D
05-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Don't hustle to get back on defense. Now that's basketball. :rolleyes

When the Suns are forced to play in the half court, they continuously spread the floor with Marion and Richardson in the corners while Nash isolates and runs around screens from the bigs until he finds something. They need a new strategy.

baseline bum
05-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Stoudemire's better than Moses Malone? Amare is a lot like Nowitzki; amazing offensive player, pussy on the boards, and doesn't even care to defend. Moses was a hell of a rebounder and intimidator. Amare's going to get there because he's an absolute incredible talent, but he still has a LONG way to go.

SouthernFried
05-28-2005, 01:34 AM
What the f*** is the matter with these idiots?

The Spurs are playing the "scoring" game...and are OUTSCORING a high scoring team.

Instead of lamenting that another team is outscoring such a great scoring team...they should be freakin' happy about it. They are getting the high scoring games they say they love so much!

What's the f***ing problem here?

Do these people who state they love high scoring games wish that the SPURS wouldn't score so high? :wtf

Dingle Barry
05-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Doesnt this guy know about street basketball and the Harlem Globe Trotters?

Why doesnt he just watch the And 1 Mix Tape. No defense to worry about there. Plenty of points.

Seriously, Long, why the fuck are you watching the NBA, much less covering it?

Sense
05-28-2005, 01:57 AM
I really don't get who hires these stupid journalists... they have nothing to write about..

I'm pretty most of the smart people in these forums could do a better job, not because they are spurs fans...but because they know the spurs are the best ...

;)

3rdCoast
05-28-2005, 01:58 AM
I really don't get who hires these stupid journalists... they have nothing to write about..

I'm pretty most of the smart people in these forums could do a better job, not because they are spurs fans...but because they know the spurs are the best ...

;)

Word.

tdominate21
05-28-2005, 04:36 AM
lol! This can not be a real article! how pathetic!

No defense? While we're at it, why not have the NBA championship be determined by a game of HORSE! :lol :lol :lol

baseline bum
05-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Stoudemire made Nash as much as Nash made him. Nowitzki wasn't getting him in the MVP voting.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2005, 07:55 AM
That's why this lame bastard is a beat writer for a Florida hack job. When was the last time any Florida team won a national championship, not just on the professional level, but collegiate as well.

Thought so. That's my point. :rolleyes

Jimcs50
05-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Great article, LakerGod, keep em coming.

caŪlo
05-28-2005, 08:37 AM
that writer deserves to die.

stupid article!

spurschick
05-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Looks like Mr. Long was up against a deadline and needed to pull something out of his ass.

Xolotl
05-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I think my sig applies for this instance.

ObiwanGinobili
05-28-2005, 09:36 AM

wrong.
Basketball is just a overblown version of "capture the flag" the object is to get thiers AND prevent them from gettign yours.
duh.

angel_luv
05-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Let ( forgot his name already) say what he likes. The Spurs may not get respect but we get trophies, so wo cares? Actions speak louder than words.

angel_luv
05-28-2005, 09:39 AM
wo equals who lol

SpursWoman
05-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Looks like Mr. Long was up against a deadline and needed to pull something out of his ass.

Smells like it. :lol

MadDog73
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
This guy is just mad, because deep down he knows it will be the Pistons and the Spurs.

He may hate the games, hell, most of America may hate it, but basketball fans will love it, and either way: a defensive team will win the Championship.

bonesinaz
05-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I wonder what this guy thinks of Pat Riley.

ShoogarBear
05-28-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm wondering where were all the articles in football season saying how it would be better for the game if the Colts beat the Patriots?

spurschick
05-28-2005, 10:12 AM
This guy is just mad, because deep down he knows it will be the Pistons and the Spurs.

He may hate the games, hell, most of America may hate it, but basketball fans will love it, and either way: a defensive team will win the Championship.

A lot of people thought that the Spurs-Nets Finals were boring and they're concerned that a Pistons-Spurs Finals will be boring with nothing but defense. Both coaches put defense as the priority, but the Spurs have evolved since 2003 and I think we will see more offense than we did then to complement what they do on D. Tony and Manu have been let off the leash more.

Brodels
05-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Many people in this thread are spewing hate and getting all bent out of shape for nothing.

He's not saying that offense wins championships. He's not saying that the Spurs suck. He's not saying that the Suns are better.

He likes to watch offensive basketball, and the Suns give it to him. What's so bad about that?

The Suns score lots of points, but they also force other teams into playing their kind of basketball. The Spurs are scoring lots of points in this series, but it's because the Suns allow it to happen. The Spurs wouldn't be scoring nearly as many points against any of the other playoff teams.

The Suns give you lots of offense. And they make their opponent have to score.

He's not hating on the Spurs. He's simply saying that he likes offense. And like it or not, Phoenix and whoever they happen to be playing give that to you. He even admits that the Suns are going to lose the series playing their style of ball.

I personally disagree with him. I like the brand of basketball the Spurs usually play. I like defense. But the Suns are fun to watch too, and I can't blame this guy for pointing out that the Suns are the best team to watch if you like offense.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Anyone have that quote where (I think) Pop said something about the Spurs being a good offensive team; they just choose not to use it when it's not really needed?

I'll try to look for it...

Oh, P.S: This writer is a disgrace to journalism. :)

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Today's NBA is so confusing, it's no wonder the coaches have forgotten to teach scoring.

It's called strategy, dimwit.

Brodels
05-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Anyone have that quote where (I think) Pop said something about the Spurs being a good offensive team; they just choose not to use it when it's not really needed?

I'll try to look for it...

Oh, P.S: This writer is a disgrace to journalism. :)

That's not exactly true. Pop didn't say that the Spurs sometimes choose not to be a good offensive team. The Spurs aren't going to consciously choose to play poor on the offensive end. They are always going to use their offense in the best way possible.

If the Spurs could actually just bust out their 'good offensive team' status when they needed it, they wouldn't have had so many offensive droughts during the regular season.

What Pop meant is that the Spurs can score lots of points in the right situation. They can play different styles. They can play a high scoring game against the Suns because the Spurs have the players to score in an open court situation against a team that doesn't play defense.

The Spurs can thrive against Phoenix because they can play the Suns' kind of game if they have to. But I think you'll find the Spurs mysteriously unable to bust out their "good offense" on demand if they play Detroit in the finals. If that finals matchup plays out, the Spurs "good defense" will have as much to do with the outcome.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Alright.. got it.

3 Ring Timmy
05-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Maybe this paper pusher outta go interview Doug Moe,and see if Doug can inlighten him that all offense,and no defense,will get you a fishing trip during the finals.

Also,the Spurs play whatever pace they need to,to win games.They are very versatile,and can adjust to any team (style) in the NBA.To tell you the truth,I dont even think the Suns could have beaten the Nuggets.The Nuggets can play defense,and score big points.We all know the spurs made adjustments,and now their fishing in Carmelos gold fish pond in his back yard.

If I was a sports writer from Fla. I would`nt want the Heat playing the Spurs either.

Solid D
05-28-2005, 11:09 AM
The Finals are broadcast all over the world, so I wonder what the over-all viewership will actually be if the Spurs are in the NBA Finals versus Detroit?

Vashner
05-28-2005, 11:14 AM
This must be one of Mr. Nash's USA hater buddies... lol.

Court4Short
05-28-2005, 11:14 AM
After reading a few lines of that article all i could hear is Charlie Browns teacher in my head..

"Waa waa waa waa" :blah

Useruser666
05-28-2005, 12:05 PM
There is no defense for no defense.

Duff McCartney
05-28-2005, 12:14 PM
That's why this lame bastard is a beat writer for a Florida hack job. When was the last time any Florida team won a national championship, not just on the professional level, but collegiate as well.

Thought so. That's my point. :rolleyes

Two years ago..Marlins won, and 4 years ago it was Miami that won the National Title in football.

LakerGod
05-28-2005, 12:50 PM
:lol

I specially like the part where he says tha Manu Ginobili has taken the FLOP to another level :lol

Damn everyone is aware of Manu's flopping! :wow

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 01:04 PM
^ :lol
I especially like the part where the Lakers aren't even mentioned!

;)

Brutalis
05-28-2005, 01:40 PM
^ :lol
I especially like the part where the Lakers aren't even mentioned!

;)

Nice ownage.

Brutalis
05-28-2005, 01:42 PM
The reason this got published is for 2 things.

He's a minority. Probably a popular dude there and if this article got rejected I'm sure him and his little black panther buddies would pillage the arenas.

Everyone loves to hate what they, dont understand, dont know, or dont believe.

Simple.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Nice ownage.

You're giving me too much credit, dear. It's that the dimwitted Laker fans are too easy. ;)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2005, 02:06 PM
The best thing everyone can do is ignore articles like the one posted and add idiots like LakerGod to their ignore list.

mookie2001
05-28-2005, 02:07 PM
everyone email his ass and tell him he doesnt know shit

the suns can score points
not as many as the spurs though

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Y'all don't get it, do you? He looks good to his editors when people email him - they can hold that up to advertisers as proof that people are visiting their site/reading their paper.

Best thing you can do is ignore it.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Y'all don't get it, do you? He looks good to his editors when people email him - they can hold that up to advertisers as proof that people are visiting their site/reading their paper.

Best thing you can do is ignore it.

Amen.

The posters around here kept Bernie Lincicome employed for another 6 months in Denver. Every time his job security gets a little iffy, he'll write some bash Manu piece and prepare to forward the flood of e-mails from some you to his editors.

Slomo
05-28-2005, 03:22 PM
This guy is really afraid that Shaq & Co. will meet the Spurs in the finals. He shouldn't be since the Pistons will take care of that.

WalterBenitez
05-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Big D produces the same game, the one who win socres more than the one who lose :oops

baraya
05-28-2005, 03:42 PM
it looks like this journalist donīt know a lot about basketball.. i donīt know him.. but does he often write about basketball? send him write about fakinī bush, and JLopez..

rr2418
05-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I think the whole purpose of this article was to really say that in his opinion, the NBA doesn't want the Spurs again in the Finals. There are a "boring team", they don't score enough points. BULLSHIT!! All these anti- Spurs people want is "flashy" players to light up the scoreboard. The NBA is desperately still trying to find the next MJ, Magic, or Bird. And all while they're searching, the NBA has a damm good fundamentally sound Spurs team, with a rising exciting star in Ginoblili right in front of their noses. Do they see that? Nope! So this writer could print whatever he wants, because I think the Spurs will prove him wrong. I guess it's the Spurs vs the NBA....................AGAIN!!

Rydia
05-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Maybe he figures that it'd be easier for Miami to win if they play Phoenix. :P

That's the first thing I thought. Hey If I were the East I would be going for the Suns too...I would never want to take on the SPurs. The beast isn't in the East it's in the West

wildbill2u
05-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Too bad Mr. Long won't get his wish.

Oh, I don't know. The Spurs may just continue to score a lot. As this :spin :spin fool can see, they are scoring more than the fabulously high scoring Suns

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Here is my letter to Mr. Long

In your recent article you basically put the Spurs out to pasture by
calling them boring and unable to score. I wonder how a person such as
yourself gets the credentials necessary for being a sports writer as
you obviously don't check your facts. The Spurs not only averaged 97 PPG
with a lineup that was hardly ever in tact in the regular season, but they
also were averaging 100 PPG in the playoffs before the Western Conference
Finals. Did you see the Spurs' game 2 against Denver? How about game 1,
2,5, & 6 against the Sonics? Do you even bother to do any research before
you write?

Are you saying Manu Ginobili, the guy who does things the way Dr. J did
them, ad lib with lots of energy and athleticism, is boring?
Is Tony Parker, the quickest man in th NBA, who gets into the lane with
nicer moves than any point guard not named Iverson, boring?
Tim Duncan, who may not pound his chest or do sit-ups before free
throws (a-la Amare), is very fun to watch if you like low-post moves galore
that look more like something Lyn Swann would do than a basketball player.

Maybe you're just not that bright.

Here is his response

I never said the Spurs were boring. I said the 2003 Finals were boring
and it was, especially because the Spurs could have (should have) ended it
in four of the easiest games known to man. Watching Richard Jefferson go
3-of-14 each night. Duncan and Robinson just toying with the Nets'
front line but never dropping the hammer. It wasn't a fun period in my
basketball-watching life.

And I know they can score and to be honest, they could be very
aggressive offensive, average over 105 PPG and not lose much of anything on defense. And why don't they?

I am happy that the Suns play the style they do, it's bold, it's a
little unique and it fits their personnel (which is defensively challenged to
say the least). It's made for an exciting Western conference finals because
it's forced the Spurs to pick and choose when they can play smothering
defense and when they need to run with the Suns. So far Pops has been
perfect at his adjustments and for a rare change he's been forced to
make adjustments. Be honest with me, this series has been entertaining for
you as a fan and it's also been occasionally anxious because you know that
no lead is comfortable against the Suns.
I just hope a couple more teams think about it. Because there's a fine
line between great defense (which the Spurs have) and poor offense (which
has infected half of the league).

So Enjoy,

Corey Long

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2005, 06:07 PM
bump for laker god to respond to.

Brodels
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Here is my letter to Mr. Long

In your recent article you basically put the Spurs out to pasture by
calling them boring and unable to score. I wonder how a person such as
yourself gets the credentials necessary for being a sports writer as
you obviously don't check your facts. The Spurs not only averaged 97 PPG
with a lineup that was hardly ever in tact in the regular season, but they
also were averaging 100 PPG in the playoffs before the Western Conference
Finals. Did you see the Spurs' game 2 against Denver? How about game 1,
2,5, & 6 against the Sonics? Do you even bother to do any research before
you write?

Are you saying Manu Ginobili, the guy who does things the way Dr. J did
them, ad lib with lots of energy and athleticism, is boring?
Is Tony Parker, the quickest man in th NBA, who gets into the lane with
nicer moves than any point guard not named Iverson, boring?
Tim Duncan, who may not pound his chest or do sit-ups before free
throws (a-la Amare), is very fun to watch if you like low-post moves galore
that look more like something Lyn Swann would do than a basketball player.

Maybe you're just not that bright.

Here is his response

I never said the Spurs were boring. I said the 2003 Finals were boring
and it was, especially because the Spurs could have (should have) ended it
in four of the easiest games known to man. Watching Richard Jefferson go
3-of-14 each night. Duncan and Robinson just toying with the Nets'
front line but never dropping the hammer. It wasn't a fun period in my
basketball-watching life.

And I know they can score and to be honest, they could be very
aggressive offensive, average over 105 PPG and not lose much of anything on defense. And why don't they?

I am happy that the Suns play the style they do, it's bold, it's a
little unique and it fits their personnel (which is defensively challenged to
say the least). It's made for an exciting Western conference finals because
it's forced the Spurs to pick and choose when they can play smothering
defense and when they need to run with the Suns. So far Pops has been
perfect at his adjustments and for a rare change he's been forced to
make adjustments. Be honest with me, this series has been entertaining for
you as a fan and it's also been occasionally anxious because you know that
no lead is comfortable against the Suns.
I just hope a couple more teams think about it. Because there's a fine
line between great defense (which the Spurs have) and poor offense (which
has infected half of the league).

So Enjoy,

Corey Long

Robinson's e-mail to him was indicative of the kind of hate fans here have for no good reason. It thought the writer's response was a good one.

A guy states that he likes a lot of offense and everyone gets crazy. He wasn't hating on the Spurs at all. Your e-mail was an overreaction, plain and simple.

But I'm glad he responded. He just basically said the same things he said in his article only he was a little bit clearer.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Over reactive, maybe but who cares I can still make the point that he makes us out to sound boring and unable to score in his article.

Horry For 3!
05-28-2005, 07:27 PM
That is a dumb article! haha Funny though, i'll give yout that.

Vashner
05-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Sorry but 50-70's basketball is not the modern combat we all enjoy today. Suns ran and gun.. but in the end a bigger GUN shot them down....