PDA

View Full Version : remember Roger Mason jr???

poop
12-25-2010, 03:50 AM
this time 2 years ago he was a league leader in 3 pointers and had a number of game winning shots, Spurstalk was alive with 'Money Mason' talk and sigs, avatars....

hahahahhaahahahahhaha

chazley
12-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Greatest Spur of all time. Don't think anyone can argue otherwise.

Juanobili
12-25-2010, 04:35 AM
wow it's been 2 years since that Phoenix game?

time flies

greyforest
12-25-2010, 04:51 AM
this time 2 years ago he was a league leader in 3 pointers and had a number of game winning shots, Spurstalk was alive with 'Money Mason' talk and sigs, avatars....

i remember :hat he started sucking right about the start of those playoffs if i recall correctly.

admiralsnackbar
12-25-2010, 04:56 AM
It's a mystery why he fell-off so hard, so fast. There's always going to be the whiners that say Pop broke his spirit, but I have trouble believing it only takes some hurtful words to destroy a player's spirit when millions of dollars are on the line.

greyforest
12-25-2010, 04:59 AM
there was some purported hand injury. i guess it destroyed his career.

admiralsnackbar
12-25-2010, 05:08 AM
there was some purported hand injury. i guess it destroyed his career.

I heard about that, too -- it's just hard to imagine it could wreck his entire career.

DesignatedT
12-25-2010, 05:48 AM
I prefer not to.

poop
12-25-2010, 06:51 AM
nowdays it NEAL WITH IT!!!!

i H O P E that months from now i wont be starting a thread called

remember Neal With It....

Ice009
12-25-2010, 07:23 AM
What is the point on starting a thread to rag on Roger Mason Jr.?

As far as I know he's had a horrible season and may be washed up, but there is no need to rub it in.

poop
12-25-2010, 07:47 AM

As far as I know he's had a horrible season and may be washed up, but there is no need to rub it in.

because of the parallels to Neal With It

Crytek
12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amare+Stoudemire+New+York+Knicks+v+Denver+0SBB2Es5 AWPl.jpg

poop
12-25-2010, 08:28 AM
haha one day we will see neal with it slapping hands with the golden state warriors.

Barney Stinson
12-25-2010, 11:24 AM
How dare you to disrespect our savior! Shame on you!

YODA
12-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Is Mason playing anywhere?

Agloco
12-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Is Mason playing anywhere?

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amare+Stoudemire+New+York+Knicks+v+Denver+0SBB2Es5 AWPl.jpg

DMC
12-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Roger's mom...

DMC
12-25-2010, 12:30 PM
haha one day we will see neal with it slapping hands with the golden state warriors.
And that's fine, because at least he found a route into the NBA. It's those guys like Temple and Green and Hairston who are going to be the "I was in the NBA" guy at family parties.

stéphane
12-25-2010, 12:33 PM
That was before he got hit by playoff ball.

Bartleby
12-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I prefer not to.

Cane
12-25-2010, 12:47 PM
That game-winner on X-Mas @ PHX was pretty awesome and I doubt I'l ever forget that shot and moment in the Spurs/PHX 'rivalry'.

Other than that....

sananspursfan21
12-25-2010, 01:27 PM
yea but this is different with neal... this is true love

BillMc
12-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the best way to remember Roger is as a good guy, who stepped up and helped us win some games his first year. That his career quickly tailed off (and that he asked for a trade for more playing time) is best smudged into the fog of history.

crc21209
12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Dude fell off the cliff pretty damn fast....

jjktkk
12-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Mason crumpled under the pressure. Thats the way it goes.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Mason is done for.

SenorSpur
12-25-2010, 03:40 PM
...and the Spurs also had old-ass Michael Finley, two years ago.

How time flies?

BadOne
12-25-2010, 07:23 PM

RMJ: So you see, this hand is still hurt, that's why I haven't got my stroke back you see...

Amare: That hand was hurt a year after the 09 playoffs...Do you hear yourself right now?

RMJ: No but I'm saying...

Trill Clinton
12-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Why are we discussing this scrub?

GSH
12-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Since I never climbed on the RMJ bandwagon, I don't mind debunking this one.

1. Any time RMJ had the ball in his hands, he was a liability to cough it up. As soon as he put the ball on the floor, defenders collapsed on him for an opportunity at a take-away. Neal is a MUCH better ball handler, and a lot stronger than RMJ.
2. RMJ never had an in-between game. One-dimensional players are a lot easier for a good defender to cover. With Neal, defenders have to worry about him faking the 3 and then blowing past them. Neal picks up points on mid-range jumpers and floaters that Mason could never dream of.
3. After Neal makes a 3-pointer, he doesn't stand around slapping his ass like an idiot. He heads back to play defense.
4. Neal doesn't pout about coming off the bench. He's ready when his number is called.
5. Confidence is important for a shooter. RMJ was always trying to prove he was good enough. Neal KNOWS he's good enough.

Don't even try to compare Neal to RMJ. On his best night, Mason wasn't as tough as Neal.

SenorSpur
12-25-2010, 08:04 PM

1. Any time RMJ had the ball in his hands, he was a liability to cough it up. As soon as he put the ball on the floor, defenders collapsed on him for an opportunity at a take-away. Neal is a MUCH better ball handler, and a lot stronger than RMJ.
2. RMJ never had an in-between game. One-dimensional players are a lot easier for a good defender to cover. With Neal, defenders have to worry about him faking the 3 and then blowing past them. Neal picks up points on mid-range jumpers and floaters that Mason could never dream of.
3. After Neal makes a 3-pointer, he doesn't stand around slapping his ass like an idiot. He heads back to play defense.
4. Neal doesn't pout about coming off the bench. He's ready when his number is called.
5. Confidence is important for a shooter. RMJ was always trying to prove he was good enough. Neal KNOWS he's good enough.

Don't even try to compare Neal to RMJ. On his best night, Mason wasn't as tough as Neal.

Well said.

In short, it just appears that Gary Neal is just more of a mentally tougher player than Mason ever was.

Ice009
12-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Very good post. Now close this thread. I already thought similar to what you posted so again I don't see the point of this thread. They a different players.

objective
12-25-2010, 08:37 PM

I would add that Neal puts up a fight on defense. I never liked Mason's defense and even posted so after his first game with the Spurs when everyone was gushing and calling him a good defender.

One thing Neal has done that Mason never did was fight around screens. It's earned him some fouls, and hasn't really helped otherwise. But Mason never fought when he had to go over, and never was in a big hurry when he was going under.

So even though Neal isn't really affecting the game with his defense, and has zero length or size or advantageous speed, he works to try to overcome those things. I never saw that in Mason.

Ice009
12-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I would add that Neal puts up a fight on defense. I never liked Mason's defense and even posted so after his first game with the Spurs when everyone was gushing and calling him a good defender.

One thing Neal has done that Mason never did was fight around screens. It's earned him some fouls, and hasn't really helped otherwise. But Mason never fought when he had to go over, and never was in a big hurry when he was going under.

So even though Neal isn't really affecting the game with his defense, and has zero length or size or advantageous speed, he works to try to overcome those things. I never saw that in Mason.

I got on Mason Jr. early in his first season around January about his defense. It was just really bad and I thought he won't help us at all come playoff time if he plays that kind of defense. Neal at least busts his ass on defense and that plays with a lot more effort than Mason Jr. ever put in on that end of the court. Even if Neal isn't a great defender the effort is there.

Venti Quattro
12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
G4NbhRb862k

Venti Quattro
12-25-2010, 10:00 PM
WlTn_emizcQ

KaiRMD1
12-26-2010, 02:28 AM

One could argue that since Neal has traveled a bit before getting to the NBA is what prepared him to be the player he is and can be.

UnWantedTheory
12-26-2010, 04:50 AM

Mel_13
12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Knicks benchwarmer Mason spreading Christmas jeer

It was not another ChristMase.

Roger Mason's best Christmas ever also coincided with his best season -- two years ago with San Antonio. He came off the bench after sitting the entire fourth quarter and drained a game-winning 3-pointer with 4.4 seconds left against the Suns.

There haven't been any magical moments for Mason with the Knicks after being signed as a free agent in August, and he was a DNP again yesterday.

After playing the first three games, averaging just six minutes, Mason was yanked from the rotation and has only been seen in garbage time since.

Mason, who talked of being a leader during training camp, feels coach Mike D'Antoni hasn't given him a chance. Ironically, team president Donnie Walsh has shopped for another backup point guard.

"Things have been a little different than I imagined, yes," Mason told The Post in his first remarks on the subject. "I'll continue to work and be a good teammate and cheer them on and wait for an opportunity. I haven't really had one yet."

Mason shot poorly in preseason and has appeared in just eight games. With Toney Douglas banged up with a strained back and shoulder sprain, D'Antoni hasn't turned to Mason, who runs the point during practice scrimmages.

"I don't think I was really given an opportunity yet," Mason said. "In preseason, I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to. Most preseasons, it takes me to the regular season to get going.

"I'm just hitting the prime of my career," Mason added. "Ideally, you wouldn't want to be in scenario where you're not playing."

When asked whether he'd play Mason because of his Christmas heroics against his former team, D'Antoni responded: "Who?"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/benchwarmer_mason_spreading_christmas_TDAjunLuRreB ozHtSg2C4J

Duff McCartney
12-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Roger Mason's best Christmas ever also coincided with his best season -- two years ago with San Antonio. He came off the bench after sitting the entire fourth quarter and drained a game-winning 3-pointer with 4.4 seconds left against the Suns.

There haven't been any magical moments for Mason with the Knicks after being signed as a free agent in August, and he was a DNP again yesterday.

After playing the first three games, averaging just six minutes, Mason was yanked from the rotation and has only been seen in garbage time since.

Mason, who talked of being a leader during training camp, feels coach Mike D'Antoni hasn't given him a chance. Ironically, team president Donnie Walsh has shopped for another backup point guard.

"Things have been a little different than I imagined, yes," Mason told The Post in his first remarks on the subject. "I'll continue to work and be a good teammate and cheer them on and wait for an opportunity. I haven't really had one yet."

Mason shot poorly in preseason and has appeared in just eight games. With Toney Douglas banged up with a strained back and shoulder sprain, D'Antoni hasn't turned to Mason, who runs the point during practice scrimmages.

"I don't think I was really given an opportunity yet," Mason said. "In preseason, I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to. Most preseasons, it takes me to the regular season to get going.

"I'm just hitting the prime of my career," Mason added. "Ideally, you wouldn't want to be in scenario where you're not playing."

When asked whether he'd play Mason because of his Christmas heroics against his former team, D'Antoni responded: "Who?"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/benchwarmer_mason_spreading_christmas_TDAjunLuRreB ozHtSg2C4J

Oh my god is that true? Cause I busted out laughing when I read this. Who? :lol

Duff McCartney
12-26-2010, 05:30 PM
G4NbhRb862k

All I know is after watching this Phoenix can eat my ass all day everyday. I'd love to get reactions to that shot up close....also Dallas all those times we owned them in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
12-26-2010, 05:42 PM

It's amazing that coaches are still trying to run Mason out there at backup PG - when both his handle and his ability to finish at the rim, are quite suspect.

GSH
12-26-2010, 09:24 PM
The game tonight against the Wizards says everything you need to know about this subject. Neal had a terrible game from the 3P line - his shot just wasn't there. But he still had a solid 9 points off the bench, and made solid contributions to the win.

When Mason's 3 ball wasn't falling, the Spurs were playing 4 on 5 on both ends of the floor. He was like a bullfighter on the defensive end, and the ONLY time the other teams had to pay attention to him on the offensive end was when he was hitting 3-pointers.

This shouldn't even be a discussion.

JustinJDW
12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Hmm, although I do agree with a lot of the things about Mason, I'm quite sure when Gary Neal is no longer playing with the Spurs, you guys are gonna talk shit about him and pick on his weaknesses huh?

ClingingMars
12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Eh, he was actually way better the Wiz than he was with us. Regardless, he is a UVa man and while he'll be out of the league shortly, he will have no issues providing for himself/his family

DMC
12-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Since Mason's father was a prominent ophthalmologist, I doubt he would have had any issues anyhow.

Cessation
12-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Mason have fallen so far,that I don't even feel like making fun of him anymore.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
G4NbhRb862k

Best finish to a Christmas Day game I've ever seen. Thanks for the memories at least, RMJ :toast

Venti Quattro
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
There was actually another one that I forgot to post. This one stung because Kobe had already done the balls dance

AKMyju6jr0k

Kool Bob Love
12-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Hmm, although I do agree with a lot of the things about Mason, I'm quite sure when Gary Neal is no longer playing with the Spurs, you guys are gonna talk shit about him and pick on his weaknesses huh?

No some people must be mad because how Mason was acting on his last year here. But some people just need to NEAL WIT IT and move on.