PDA

View Full Version : I don't want the #1 seed in the West!

lotr1trekkie
12-26-2010, 10:41 AM
1] To get it we would have to wear out out Big 3. Miami can play their big 3 every nite for 38 minutes and it will all be good. The Mavs will push for it because of 0 rings. The Lakers feel obligated to get it.
2] The # 4 seed would be perfect
3] Hopefully, Splitter and Anderson will add to the bench which will be vital this season.
4] Defensively, we need to improve by the playoffs. We really have only one BIG. If Splitter can get up to 2o minutes a game, we will be stronger.
Somehow, the NBA has become more like the NFL. Unlike other years the grind to championship in the East will be brutal. Rest the BIG 3 and build on this improved bench!

Kool Bob Love
12-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Black name poster take a L for this clown.

Kool Bob Love
12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I want the SPURS to be the 1 seed in the west.

Puts a second round match up of the mavs VS LA in the second round.

SenorSpur
12-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Be careful what you wish for. The #4 seed would be somewhat detrimental because it would likely require that the Spurs would possibly face both the Mavs and Fakers in consecutive rounds (WCSF & WCF) in the playoffs.

That said, the Spurs should strive to secure the best record that they can. While I wouldn't want Pop to burn out the veterans in the process, and he certainly will not, they also shouldn't coast through the season and give games away, as they've done in the past. A point which Manu is on record for emphasizing to the coaching staff over this past offseason.

pawe
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Extra home game for profits is always useful so Peter Holt can stay motivated spending money for better players.

Cry Havoc
12-26-2010, 11:17 AM
1] To get it we would have to wear out out Big 3. Miami can play their big 3 every nite for 38 minutes and it will all be good. The Mavs will push for it because of 0 rings. The Lakers feel obligated to get it.
3] Hopefully, Splitter and Anderson will add to the bench which will be vital this season.
4] Defensively, we need to improve by the playoffs. We really have only one BIG. If Splitter can get up to 2o minutes a game, we will be stronger.
Somehow, the NBA has become more like the NFL. Unlike other years the grind to championship in the East will be brutal. Rest the BIG 3 and build on this improved bench!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Mel_13
12-26-2010, 11:20 AM
OP makes no sense.

DPG21920
12-26-2010, 11:33 AM
You realize the spurs have the #1 seed and their big 3 play far less than any other big 3?

tdunk21
12-26-2010, 12:12 PM
HCA throughout the playoffs is gold for the spurs.....

Man In Black
12-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Let the chips fall where they may. The way they're playing with the starters playing lower minutes than any other team, and with a "hasn't been a full bench because of injuries" already proving that they're a very capable group, why not get a high seed? But whatever the case may be, you play well enough to win, long enough to give your starters a workout, short enough so they don't burn out to overuse, and enough players to contribute to get the team Ring #5.

rayray2k8
12-26-2010, 12:27 PM
You're a dumbass. :td
lol star trek

HarlemHeat37
12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
The Spurs only chance at a title will be with the #1 seed IMO..a Mavs vs. Lakers series in the 2nd round would be absolutely perfect for the Spurs..it would mean that they would only have to play 1 of them, while the other 2 would have to play a tough, physical, long series in the semis(assuming the Spurs make it as far as the WCF, after taking care of the 4th WCSF team)..

gospursgojas
12-26-2010, 12:35 PM
So La, Dallas, and Miami top 3 in the west and the SPurs 4th???

:tu

ohmwrecker
12-26-2010, 12:54 PM
There is still a lot of basketball to be played. The Spurs have taken the league by surprise and relied on some good fortune so far, but they aren't flying under the radar anymore. The defense will have to improve and Anderson\Splitter will have to play significant roles toward the end of the season.
A #1 seed would be huge. The Spurs will need a relatively easy first round to advance and have the health and energy for a, most likely, tough semi matchup.
Teams are going to be gunning for the Spurs from here on out and the Mavs and Lakers will challenge for the top seed the whole way through.
I don't buy into the belief that the Spurs' only shot at a title is the #1 seed, but I understand that it would greatly increase their chances.
This upcoming stretch of games should prove very telling as to where the Spurs stand as contenders to the title.

stnick2261
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
the Spurs have the best record..... if they drop in the 2nd half of the season, it's because they aren't playing well... and will likely lose in the 1st or 2nd round

from where we stand, if we are playing the best ball of the year by the end of the season, there is no giving up the top spot

spurs1990
12-26-2010, 01:17 PM
I see where the OP is going. I like it.

In fact what we need to do is miss the playoffs altogether. You see if this happens, that will shave off a potential 4-28 games off the tires of our big 3, who need the rest.

This way they'll be fresh and raring to go for the 2011-2012 season, which will probably be shortened, thus giving us an unbelievable advantage in claiming another lockout-shortened title!

2012* or bust! TrekkieSpur you're the best bro.

Seventyniner
12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I want the SPURS to be the 1 seed in the west.

Puts a second round match up of the mavs VS LA in the second round.

easy7
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
4th seed? Really? But no sweat, since it is you that don't want the #1 seed. :toast

DesignatedT
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
The Spurs only chance at a title will be with the #1 seed IMO..a Mavs vs. Lakers series in the 2nd round would be absolutely perfect for the Spurs..it would mean that they would only have to play 1 of them, while they would have to play a tough, physical, long series in the previous round(assuming the Spurs make it that far, and take care of the 4th WCSF team)..

I wouldn't say it's the only chance. A bit premature to be saying that but that is definitely the dream scenario.

ajballer4
12-26-2010, 02:59 PM
This thread makes no sense. Who wouldnt want the top seed? Its the prefect scenario, just like HH said

DMC
12-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Since my seed is always the top seed, I have no choice, but you my friend, you can opt out.

itzsoweezee
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
please explain how the spurs are to improve their defense without playing their best players.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Why would you not want the #1 seed?

honestfool84
12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
if the Spurs can get the #1 seed playing Duncan less than 30 minutes a night, i'll be happy.

Trill Clinton
12-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Lol bnsf

Budkin
12-26-2010, 04:12 PM
You're an idiot... nothing beats home court throughout the playoffs.

DesignatedT
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
if the Spurs can get the #1 seed playing Duncan less than 30 minutes a night, i'll be happy.

lol. I hope you'd be happy.

lotr1trekkie
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
As the season grinds down to the last 60 plus games Pop will have to make some decisions. My point was that the Spurs will not get finals if Pop increases the Big 3's minutes. Then I will have to read from numerous bozzos on this site that Duncan's knees are shot at 34 , Manu is wearing down again and that Tony is over the hill at 28.
I don't think the Spurs can maintain their current pace unless they OVERUSE the Big 3. Tim should not play back to back after the halfway mark. Ditto Manu. Hill's minutes should be increased also because Tony has been playing pro for 13 years.
If we can be 52 and 8 after the next 30 games I say go for it. Otherwise the Spurs need to pace themselves for the real season. Blair, Hill, Tiaggo, Neal etc. need to carry the team to that place.
Last season, we got hammered by Geldings because we had shot our load in the previous series. Want a repeat--- go for the #1 seed at all costs.
Even more then the NFL, the NBA team that is playing the best will win even if they are not the best team
BTW, posters who can only write 1 line of criticism should go back to their Twitter and Facebook. Anyone with one line comments seems so much more intelligent than the are!

4>0rings
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/32/youarereallydumb.gif

Man In Black
12-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't think the Spurs can maintain their current pace unless they OVERUSE the Big 3. Tim should not play back to back after the halfway mark. Ditto Manu. Hill's minutes should be increased also because Tony has been playing pro for 13 years.

Just curious...their current pace has the Big 3 playing LESS minutes than ever other than Manu, which is understandable because he came off the bench for so long. The team is reliant on the Big 3, true. Every team that has one is reliant on theirs. However, the bench has been very capable, even without James Anderson and a often nicked Tiaggo Splitter. I say LET THEM PLAY AT THEIR CURRENT PACE. It's like that pet play that keeps on working. Run it until they stop it. At 25-4, no one has really stopped the Spurs other than playing on back-to-backs or traveling late to a different time zone. Pop will dial it down a little for SPAM unless the Spurs are fighting for their lives again. But since they made an early emphasis on winning the early games, that isn't the issue this season so far.

Kool Bob Love
12-26-2010, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=lotr1trekkie;4851458]As the season grinds down to the last 60 plus games Pop will have to make some decisions. My point was that the Spurs will not get finals if Pop increases the Big 3's minutes. Then I will have to read from numerous bozzos on this site that Duncan's knees are shot at 34 , Manu is wearing down again and that Tony is over the hill at 28.
If we can be 52 and 8 after the next 30 games I say go for it. Otherwise the Spurs need to pace themselves for the real season. Blair, Hill, Tiaggo, Neal etc. need to carry the team to that place.
Last season, we got hammered by Geldings because we had shot our load in the previous series. Want a repeat--- go for the #1 seed at all costs.
Even more then the NFL, the NBA team that is playing the best will win even if they are not the best team
BTW, posters who can only write 1 line of criticism should go back to their Twitter and Facebook. Anyone with one line comments seems so much more intelligent than the are!
[QUOTE]

Kool Bob Love
12-26-2010, 06:26 PM
As the season grinds down to the last 60 plus games Pop will have to make some decisions. My point was that the Spurs will not get finals if Pop increases the Big 3's minutes. Then I will have to read from numerous bozzos on this site that Duncan's knees are shot at 34 , Manu is wearing down again and that Tony is over the hill at 28.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: rollin:rollin:rollin

ChuckD
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Horrible take. Our playoff fail the last two years has had EVERYTHING to do with fighting our way out of the bottom tier of seeds.

OrEmuN
12-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I couldn't understand OP's reasoning. Just make no sense to reject no 1 seed.
If we are able to get no 1 seeding without overplaying Manu, Parker and Timmy, we should WANT to get home court advantage.
Just cut down on Manu's minutes and we will be fine at the end of the season.

Sean Cagney
12-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Come on man, you want to face possibly the Mavs and LA instead of avoiding one possibly? Are you seriuos? Stupid thread.

TDMVPDPOY
12-26-2010, 10:23 PM
take no.1 seed

lakers or mavs will end up either 2nd or 3rd seed, they play each other in the 2nd round probably

we face whichever of them in the WCF

TampaDude
12-26-2010, 10:28 PM
take no.1 seed

lakers or mavs will end up either 2nd or 3rd seed, they play each other in the 2nd round probably

we face whichever of them in the WCF

^ this

DMC
12-26-2010, 10:46 PM
If we need seeding to have a chance, we are fucked in the Finals, but I will take 1st over all else.

UnWantedTheory
12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
What the hell is wrong with you?

UnWantedTheory
12-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Come on man, you want to face possibly the Mavs and LA instead of avoiding one possibly? Are you seriuos? Stupid thread.

UnWantedTheory
12-27-2010, 07:13 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/32/youarereallydumb.gif

Warlord23
12-27-2010, 07:37 AM
OP's name needs to be grayed IMO. He's the prototypical GNSF

ohmwrecker
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
OP's name needs to be grayed IMO. He's the prototypical GNSF

This is the dumbest thing I've read on this thread tbh.

cutewizard
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Nice idea, we all share the same feeling man.....

But, for some reason, Pop is NOT playing Splitter, so.....

I truly wonder whats happening....

Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angelbelow
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Our best chance at winning the championship this year is securing the best record in the NBA while keeping our stars around the same amount of minutes we've been playing them this year. Even then, we don't match up particularly well with the favorites. Therefore if we can secure HCA without playing the big 3 anymore than we have - it would be imperative to do so.

Ditty
12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Taking from the standings right now

1.SA
2. Mavs
3. Lakers
4. Utah
5. OKC
6. NO
7. Denver
8. Portland

it could be a cake walk to the WCF

6,7,8 seeds could be weak matchups especially if Carmelo ends up getting traded, and Rockets are inconsistent but could give any team a run for there money, if they get a quality big man for Yao if not they will be a easy team to beat.

Spurs would dominate the Blazers in 5 games.

I would hope the hornets could move to a 5th seed cuz Spurs would dominate them in a 7 game series in the 2nd round.

Utah and OKC would take about 6 games tops to beat them, but OKC would give LA a hard time in the 1st round again if they slipped to the 3rd seed.

Denver can give Dallas alot of trouble, and could knock them out in the 1st round.

Then of course Dallas vs LA would clash in the 2nd round

How would a 1st seed not be perfect especially if Dallas and LA are the 2nd and 3rd seed?

Ditty
12-27-2010, 08:13 PM
5 games? What makes you think the blazers'll even get one?

portland is tough at home ,and spurs have always struggled in portland but I think that should change this season but think spurs would have a let down game if they would play in the playoffs.

DMC
12-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think the Blazers will make the playoffs with their injuries and other issues. Phoenix will probably get better once their newest acquisitions get acclimated. They will probably squeak in.

wontstartdumbthreads
12-28-2010, 02:01 AM
You're overposting.

lotr1trekkie
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
ONE MO TIME- for those who can read. Even if Pop can maintain the current minutes for the BIG 3, they will be worn out come playoff time. I would sacrifice the #1 seed in order to have the BIG 3 rested and healthy. Instead of upping their minutes, Pop should reduce them by not playing Tim and Manu in back to backs. Tony is 28 but has played a lot of ball. He needs to rest too. If the Little 9 can secure the #1 seed, go for it. If not, I want our Big 3 as fresh as daiseys for the playoffs.
I believe that the Spurs are deep enough this year to get to the finals. Don't waste B3 energy trying for the #1 seed. The higher the better but save the B3 for the long, long, long playoff run.
If responders can't write more than one sentence to contradict or post only an avatar--you are morons.

Kool Bob Love
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
ONE MO TIME- for those who can read. Even if Pop can maintain the current minutes for the BIG 3, they will be worn out come playoff time. I would sacrifice the #1 seed in order to have the BIG 3 rested and healthy. Instead of upping their minutes, Pop should reduce them by not playing Tim and Manu in back to backs. Tony is 28 but has played a lot of ball. He needs to rest too. If the Little 9 can secure the #1 seed, go for it. If not, I want our Big 3 as fresh as daiseys for the playoffs.
I believe that the Spurs are deep enough this year to get to the finals. Don't waste B3 energy trying for the #1 seed. The higher the better but save the B3 for the long, long, long playoff run.
If responders can't write more than one sentence to contradict or post only an avatar--you are morons.

Of course this is the plan all along.:flag:

lotr1trekkie
12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
One line and a big ass girl pic---really informative!

Agloco
12-28-2010, 12:07 PM
OP makes no sense.

This

The OP fails miserably since he/she doesn't take into consideration that either LA or Dallas will end up as #1 if we don't.

That would set up:

The #4 seed would be somewhat detrimental because it would likely require that the Spurs would possibly face both the Mavs and Fakers in consecutive rounds (WCSF & WCF) in the playoffs.

senorglory
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Via ESPN Stats and Information:

SERIES WON BY TEAM WITH HOME-COURT ADVANTAGE, since 1983-84 (when the NBA went to a 16-team format)

First Round: 166-50 (.769)
Conference Semifinals: 85-23 (.787)
Conference Finals: 37-17 (.685)
NBA Finals: 21-6 (.778)

Clearly there's a significant link between success and the home court advantage in the NBA playoffs. Not surprisingly, the same principles extend to seeding, as well.

Western Conference Postseason Series Win/Loss By Seed, Since 1983-84

1 Seed: 72-19 (.791, eight NBA titles)
2 Seed: 41-24 (.631, three titles)
3 Seed: 40-25 (.615, two titles)
4 Seed: 15-27 (.357, no titles)
5 Seed: 17-27 (.386, no titles)

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/14052/what-the-lakers-lose-if-they-lose-home-court

Agloco
12-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Western Conference Postseason Series Win/Loss By Seed, Since 1983-84

1 Seed: 72-19 (.791, eight NBA titles)
2 Seed: 41-24 (.631, three titles)
3 Seed: 40-25 (.615, two titles)
4 Seed: 15-27 (.357, no titles)
5 Seed: 17-27 (.386, no titles)

Interesting that the 6th seed isn't included in this list. I could have sworn that Houston was the 6th seed during their 2nd title run.

easjer
12-29-2010, 01:47 AM

Let me make sure I'm clear - you want them to play the Big 3 even less, even while their minutes are being managed well by Pop and there have been no significant injuries?

You are assuming that Pop's intention is to maintain this pace/winning percentage at the cost of minutes, which is not necessarily true. There is certainly a higher emphasis on winning early this year, but indications are that it is precisely so that minutes can be managed later in the season without detriment to the Spurs' standings in the conference.

If Pop were overplaying the Big 3, your point might be valid. But he isn't overplaying them, as has been pointed out. As the season progresses, they have to play more minutes, or they won't be conditioned for the playoff slog. That's just basic preparedness.

Your arguments make no sense. And the fact I wrote multiple paragraphs to explain at length what Mel 13 said in one concise sentence doesn't make me smarter, really. Just loquacious.

senorglory
12-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Interesting that the 6th seed isn't included in this list. I could have sworn that Houston was the 6th seed during their 2nd title run.

lol. yep, Rockets won in '95 from 6th seed. i double checked, and it's not a cut/paste error on my part, the espn article leaves off the 6th seed, in order to make their point.

phyzik
12-29-2010, 03:46 AM

1ytCEuuW2_A