PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Webb to the Rangers

Texas Chili Dog
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5956794

Hopefully Webb recovers from his injury and returns to his consistent self.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd like to see him do well, but after the roller coaster that was his supposed recovery-turned-setback, I wouldn't get too excited about the signing. He's pitched like shit for two full years when he's pitched at all. His sinker is great for the home ballpark, though.

ducks
12-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I want him to suceed but the rangers hopefully signed him with incentives built in with his contract

he likes the pitching coaches there and as worked with them before

I think he could have pitched last year had he tried more

he got fat and lazy and is not mentally strong

he could be a steal compared to what lee got if he is as good as he once was

sribb43
12-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Nice bargain signing but this move doesn't excite me

monosylab1k
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh so we got Rich Harden 2.0?

JMarkJohns
12-27-2010, 11:04 AM

At least with Harden you knew he could pitch when healthy. With Webb you don't know if he's healthy, nor if he can pitch even if healthy. It could be great, but I think it's a small percentage of likelihood. He's probably going to be injured most of the season, and pitch like a mid-line starter sporadically throughout.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 04:20 AM
At least with Harden you knew he could pitch when healthy. With Webb you don't know if he's healthy, nor if he can pitch even if healthy. It could be great, but I think it's a small percentage of likelihood. He's probably going to be injured most of the season, and pitch like a mid-line starter sporadically throughout.

Webb is a CY Young winner. Huge upgrade over Harden, provided he stays healthy.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 04:21 AM

Low risk, high reward. Do you have any other ideas on acquiring starting pitching?

monosylab1k
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Low risk, high reward. Do you have any other ideas on acquiring starting pitching?

Yeah, find guys that have pitched more than 1 game in two years.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
In Webb's last 12 starts (going back to the 2008 season when the Diamondbacks had a lead in the division and Webb started faltering down the stretch)...

7-3, 76.2/3rds innings (6.1/3rd per start), 37 ER, 4.34 ERA, 55 Ks/28 walks (2/1), 1.37 WHIP

Webb hasn't been Cy Young since pre All-Star 2008, and he hasn't been dominating since late 2007. And all this was before surgery and multiple failed rehabs.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, find guys that have pitched more than 1 game in two years.

Like who? You seem to think there are alot of guys out there. Throw some names out there.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
In Webb's last 12 starts (going back to the 2008 season when the Diamondbacks had a lead in the division and Webb started faltering down the stretch)...

7-3, 76.2/3rds innings (6.1/3rd per start), 37 ER, 4.34 ERA, 55 Ks/28 walks (2/1), 1.37 WHIP

Webb hasn't been Cy Young since pre All-Star 2008, and he hasn't been dominating since late 2007. And all this was before surgery and multiple failed rehabs.

I was thinking of the comparison to the signing of Harden last year to Webb. Both are injury prone, but Webb has more skins on the wall, so to speak. The signing of Webb is a low risk, high reward signing. Unless you want the Rangers to give away their top farm prospects in a trade for a top line pitcher, this is one way to not having to do that. Plus, theres alwsy the possibility of the Rangers making a move at the trade deadline.

monosylab1k
12-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Like who? You seem to think there are alot of guys out there. Throw some names out there.

Carl Pavano and Andy Pettitte, for starters.

Wanna go the injury plagued risk/reward route? Here's guys who have pitched more than 4 innings in the last 2 years.

Chris Young
Ben Sheets
Brad Penny
Erik Bedard

Jose Canseco
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Erik Bedard re-signed with Seattle. And I'm pretty sure Ben Sheets will be done for all of next season. Webb isn't a bad guy to take a chance on, but he certainly isn't someone any team should rely on for anywhere close to 30 starts and/or 200 innings, much less being any good.

There aer other guys still out there to take chances on like Jeff Francis, Chris Campuano, along with the aforementioned Brad Penny and Chris Young. And Matt Garza was reportedly being shopped.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Carl Pavano and Andy Pettitte, for starters.

Wanna go the injury plagued risk/reward route? Here's guys who have pitched more than 4 innings in the last 2 years.

Chris Young
Ben Sheets
Brad Penny
Erik Bedard

And all have had inuries in the past. Andy Pettitte is contemplating retirement or going back to the Yankees. Ben Sheets is recovering from Tommy John Surgery, Chris Young is not a #1 caliber pitcher that Webb can potentially be, plus hes had shoulder problems as well. Brad Penny is just another Jag at this stage of his career. And Bedard has never done anything, but show hes a nutcase, plus what exactly has Bedard done in this league, besides go back in forth between starting and the bullpen? Shouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt to Nolan Ryan, Mark Maddox, and the Rangers scouting depaertment, that they know what their doing?

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Erik Bedard re-signed with Seattle. And I'm pretty sure Ben Sheets will be done for all of next season. Webb isn't a bad guy to take a chance on, but he certainly isn't someone any team should rely on for anywhere close to 30 starts and/or 200 innings, much less being any good.

There aer other guys still out there to take chances on like Jeff Francis, Chris Campuano, along with the aforementioned Brad Penny and Chris Young. And Matt Garza was reportedly being shopped.

I like Francis, but Young has shoulder problems, and the Rays want too much for Garza in a trade. I don't want the Rangers gutting their farm system in making a trade, unless there could possibly be a Cliff Lee type of pitcher out there, which right now, there isn't.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2010, 06:58 PM
There's obviously no cheap perfect routes, but none of the names mentioned have had the issues of Webb the last few years. Webb is a bad bet to rebound, in my opinion. In the last year Webb has discussed realizing he overlooked a lot of things throughout his career that may have contributed to his break down. He's routinely skipped icing his shoulder, and rarely took the in-between aspects of pitching seriously. A lot of those around the situation this last year, including Webb, openly questioned if Webb had the mentality to recover. He has consistently failed to break through and push past performance plateaus in his rehab.

This isn't a jilted fan. I genuinely want Webb to succeed. I've met the man and have been a big fan of his since his rookie year. I've touted him highly when deserved and from everything I've seen the last two years, he's not that Webb any longer. Hope I'm wrong, but if he pitches 10 starts I'd be surprised.

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
There's obviously no cheap perfect routes, but none of the names mentioned have had the issues of Webb the last few years. Webb is a bad bet to rebound, in my opinion. In the last year Webb has discussed realizing he overlooked a lot of things throughout his career that may have contributed to his break down. He's routinely skipped icing his shoulder, and rarely took the in-between aspects of pitching seriously. A lot of those around the situation this last year, including Webb, openly questioned if Webb had the mentality to recover. He has consistently failed to break through and push past performance plateaus in his rehab.

This isn't a jilted fan. I genuinely want Webb to succeed. I've met the man and have been a big fan of his since his rookie year. I've touted him highly when deserved and from everything I've seen the last two years, he's not that Webb any longer. Hope I'm wrong, but if he pitches 10 starts I'd be surprised.

Good points. Another thing to consider is that the DR. who performed the shoulder surgery on Webb, and that DR. is the Rangers DR., WBTW, said Webb will be at full strength for spring training. Like I said earlier, the Rangers won't be crushed if this Webb signing doesn't pan out.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Good points. Another thing to consider is that the DR. who performed the shoulder surgery on Webb, and that DR. is the Rangers DR., WBTW, said Webb will be at full strength for spring training. Like I said earlier, the Rangers won't be crushed if this Webb signing doesn't pan out.

I heard the "full strength" comment this time last year, again in April for May, again in June for a post-All-Star return and again in July for September. It never happened. Webb has admitted he doesn't know how to handle the adversity because he's never faced it, ever, at any point in his time playing baseball, doesn't like all the added responsibilities to attain/maintain health and doesn't know how to push through discomfort as a normality of playing.

If that discomfort is there, Webb as I know him and as the Rangers/fans hope for, won't be.

Hope he works out, though. I'm so bitterly disappointed in the conclusion of those Diamondbacks. Top to bottom, that team had so much potential and it's all scattered to the wind now through injury or disappointing production.

Webb going from a Cy Young winner and 40+ scoreless innings pitched consecutively in 2006/2007 to this is just a sock in the gut.

Texas Chili Dog
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20110706-brandon-webb_s-mri-results-make-pitching-for-rangers-unlikely.ece

FAIL

ducks
07-06-2011, 03:55 PM
pussy

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Good points. Another thing to consider is that the DR. who performed the shoulder surgery on Webb, and that DR. is the Rangers DR., WBTW, said Webb will be at full strength for spring training.
:lmao:lmao, good call thinking that doctor wasn't having delusions of grandeur