PDA

View Full Version : David Aldridge: Subtle changes helping Spurs stay among league's elite

Spurs Brazil
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Subtle changes helping Spurs stay among league's elite

Posted Dec 27 2010 9:33AM

Two months into the season, and are you as sure about that Boston-L.A. Finals rematch now as you were a week ago? Are you so sure the Magic are going to fall into oblivion, and that Miami is too small to beat the big boys? Or have the last seven days only served to confuse you as much as it has me?

The Hawks beat the Magic, who beat the Spurs, who beat the Suns, who beat the Thunder, who beat the Nuggets, who lost all three games without Carmelo Anthony. But the Spurs are the team with the NBA's best record, even after their win streak ended Thursday in Orlando. Their 26-4 start is the best in San Antonio's history.

"We've had great runs later in the season, like February, March and April in the past," Manu Ginobili said last week. "But this year we've started like this. It feels great, of course. And we are enjoying the present. We know it's going to be really hard to maintain this kind of rhythm of wins. But it's been fun."

Not that Coach Gregg Popovich takes anything from playing .867 ball at Christmas.

"If our players look at it as a cushion, just mentally, that can become a quagmire," he said Thursday. "You think you're in such good shape, subconsciously your energy level drops or your concentration drops, which leads to problems with execution and that sort of thing. I don't want to look at that at all. I want to more look at it as we haven't accomplished anything, because it's still the regular season, and we're still such an average-at-best defensive team.

"We've got to look at it like we've got a long way to go rather than talk about any kind of cushion with our record. I'd rather think we're lucky to have the record, and if we want to take advantage of the record we better get our ass together at the defensive end. Otherwise we've squandered what the basketball gods have given us so far."

So much for the supposedly warmer and cuddlier Pop, who went to a zone defense out of desperation last week against Denver because, as he recalled it, no one was guarding anybody, anyway. Might as well mess up the Nuggets, too. And, of course, it worked, like most everything has worked out so far this year for the Spurs:

• Like Gary Neal, the former Summer League star that the Spurs gave a three-year deal this summer, and who has stepped in ably when guard George Hill was injured . Neal, who played the last three years in Europe after college at Towson University, had back-to-back 22-point games last week.

• Like Matt Bonner, who got a four-year deal last summer from the Spurs, and is leading the league in 3-point shooting.

• Like center Tiago Splitter, who got off to a slow, inconsistent start but who has begun to earn minutes in Popovich's rotation behind Duncan -- and who will have to improve even more if the Spurs are to have a realistic chance against the likes of the Lakers and Mavericks in the playoffs.

Popovich actually has changed a lot over the years. He's changed the Spurs' offense, going from an attack heavy on force-feeding Tim Duncan in the low post to one where Tony Parker and Ginobili are off and running. San Antonio has gone from one of the slowest, most plodding attacks to one of the league's top-scoring units. Even adjusted for pace, the Spurs are in the top half of the league.

"When I got here, when Tony got here, we were very structured," Ginobili said. "And every time you made a mistake or did something you think is wrong, you'd immediately look at him and say, 'How was that? Did I really mess up?' Now, for the new guys ... like Gary Neal and Chris Quinn, and (rookie) James Anderson, when he was playing, it's got to feel good. Because it's less pressure on you. You play a little more with instincts, not all structured. It's a lot less pressure on Tim."

Said Duncan: "We've been doing it for the last couple of years. We've been changing it to the point where we've been trying to get the ball up the floor and get things a little early in the clock and move the ball. It's been changing for a couple of years. It's not much different right now. I think we're pushing it a little bit harder. But other than that, we expected it."

Ginobili said the Spurs did try to push things last season, but they "didn't have it in us." That's changed this season, with Parker and Ginobili healthy and fresher after having both skipped the World Championships and training camps for their respective teams, France and Argentina. Ginobili thinks that theory is a bit half-baked; he says he's had good NBA seasons after playing internationally during the summer and tough NBA seasons after taking it easy in the summer. But the change in Popovich's tactics is real; he's told his players to be more like Manu and just go when they have the ball.

"It feels good when you see Pop just trying to push the pace and give us freedom," Ginobili said.

There was no epiphany for Popovich that made him change; it was more a gradual sense. After failing to reach the West finals the past two seasons, it became clearer that it was foolish to keep playing the same way -- pounding the ball inside to an aging Duncan and playing off of him while looking for 3-pointers in the short corner. Opponents had caught up to that. The coaches were "boring ourselves," Popovich said, so he could only imagine how the players felt.

He was right.

"You got Tony and Manu; why wouldn't you run?," forward Antonio McDyess said.

When the break isn't there, the Spurs run a lot more pick and rolls, and a lot more motion than they did in the past. It's led to Duncan's lowest scoring average (13.9) of his career. He has also played fewer minutes (29 a game) than he ever has, and that was the whole point -- by spreading the ball around, Duncan gets less wear and tear now, and might be fresher for the postseason. In crunch time, he's still going to get the ball, and everyone knows it. But he may have a lot more left in the tank.

"We're moving the ball a lot differently," Duncan said. "That's working, and that's what we're going to stick with."

Normally, the Spurs start slowly, and build their momenum up through the Rodeo Trip in February, when they're away from home for three weeks or so. That trip has always been when the team's camraderie begins to coalesce, with the hope that San Antonio peaks at the start of the playoffs. But the Spurs are already there.

"We're so much more relaxed," McDyess said. "It's hard to explain. It's a feeling we didn't have last year for each other. It was like we was total strangers on the court with each other ... guys were like afraid to say anything. Now it's like if you mess up, anyone can say something. You've got to be able to take it if you ain't done something right."

But Popovich sees red flags. The Spurs have dropped noticeably defensively, falling to the middle of the pack in both points allowed and shooting percentage allowed. Outscoring inferior opponents works in the regular season, but in the playoffs the best defensive teams usually go further.

San Antonio will be bolstered with the return of Hill, who came back Sunday against Washington after missing four games with a sprained big toe on his right foot. Hill makes Popovich breathe easier with his D -- "he can guard three positions," usually, Popovich says -- and with his maturity with the ball. Ever since Popovich has been in San Antonio, he's usually had a guard -- Avery Johnson, Jacque Vaughn -- that he trusted implicitly. In this incarnation, that's Hill. But Hill alone isn't enough.

So Popovich has been, gently, reminding his veteran players that they're not playing D worth a damn. He can do it in a biting, joking manner because he and the Spurs' core group have been together for so long, and have such respect for one another. But that will probably change soon. No one says it in San Antonio, but the Spurs are well aware they aren't going to get many more cracks at a title with this group. Duncan's contract is up in less than two years, and while he's likely to finish his career as a Spur, he may not be able to carry a team any more.

Clock's running. This start can't be wasted.

"I'm very worried, because I don't know where our capacity is to get to where I think we need to be," Popovich said. "I'm not sure, to be honest with you. And that will become more and more important as the season winds down and playoffs begin. That's why I want to make it an issue with people now, rather than later."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/david_aldridge/12/27/morning-tip-san-antonio-spurs/index.html

lurker23
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Very good article. :tu It's always good to hear Pop say things that all the fans know deep down, such as the need for this team to improve defensively.

I'm not sure whether this team will ever put it all together on defense, but if they do, it'll be a very exciting time to be a Spurs fan.

MaNu4Tres
12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure whether this team will ever put it all together on defense, but if they do, it'll be a very exciting time to be a Spurs fan.

Playing McDyess and Splitter more minutes than Bonner and Blair would be a start. But it won't happen.

tmtcsc
12-27-2010, 01:05 PM
"Duncan's contract is up in less than two years, and while he's likely to finish his career as a Spur, he may not be able to carry a team any more."

May not ? Uh, no. Hasn't been able to since we beat the Pistons in '05. The change in offensive philosophy was long overdue.

The extra scoring from the offense is nice to watch but unless Tim get's more active in his limited role and defends better, we won't win the title.

Boston and Miami are defending really well right now. Boston's had a tougher time with injuries than us and their wins seem more impressive to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with our record and we've been playing good basketball for the most part, but Defense is key to winning Championships.

BlairForceDejuan
12-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Pop: Defense is important but I am going to keep playing..err...relying..on Bonner and Blair (at the same time).

Genius.

TheSpurglar
12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
That was a pretty good article. I still feel like the Spurs are a serious work in progress. Anderson isn't healthy, and the rotations tend to fluctuate from game-to-game. I think after the All Star break we'll see more of what the Spurs are and can be throughout the postseason. I'm more excited and optimistic about this season than I have been for the last two.

jag
12-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I think the Spurs need to do like Dallas and play the zone more, a lot more. It's sad and embarrassing that it's come to this, but it can be effective if done correctly. Especially against teams like Dallas where you have to challenge guys like Caron and Jason Terry to beat you as opposed to Dirk.

K-State Spur
12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Playing McDyess and Splitter more minutes than Bonner and Blair would be a start. But it won't happen.

1) we KNOW mcdyess is going to get many more minutes in the playoffs - so i don't know why anybody is worried about pop pacing Dice right now.

2) like it or not, bonner's shooting has been a reason for this start. most of the scenarios that max out the spurs' potential involve bonner playing at this level. yes, he's a proven playoff midget - but i don't see this team (as it's currently constructed) making a deep run without Bonner playing well. blair and splitter both have the potential to be all around better players than Bonner, but neither forces the opponent's bigs very far out the lane, which closes driving lanes very quickly.

Not to imply that I don't want to see more of the young(er) bigs, but I don't have a huge problem with how Pop has set up the rotation - at this time.

benefactor
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
but i don't see this team (as it's currently constructed) making a deep run without Bonner playing well.
...then there is no deep run in this team. Bonner getting major minutes in the playoffs = early exit. There is no other ending.

polandprzem
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
I think the Spurs need to do like Dallas and play the zone more, a lot more. It's sad and embarrassing that it's come to this, but it can be effective if done correctly. Especially against teams like Dallas where you have to challenge guys like Caron and Jason Terry to beat you as opposed to Dirk.

I've been saying it for about 6 years now but everybody were not pleased with my point of view.

Zone in NBA is a good rhythm changer and can create a havoc.

For now it's impossible for the spurs to play zone - because they can't do it without big amout of practicing it.

So a failure at that area Pop

Another thing as I was reading this art came to my mind. A motion ofense. It is gonna be so effective in the playoffs ? Sometimes we will be forced to play more half court, well definately. And being effective on 4down will be the key. I havent seen it much this season but I remember it's not that good to be considered as a weapon against PO teams we can face.

As for D - I will start to worry when it will be Feb and Spurs still not be able to play spurs D [the old spurs with new personel]

diego
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
remember the similarly undersized suns last year made the lakers look like shit last year playing zone, I thought the Lakers would figure it out after the first time but they just couldnt deal with it. If splitter doesnt turn out, by fault of pop or his own, playing zone could be a good alternative, but they really need to practice it.

DPG21920
12-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Spurs don't have the personnel to play zone effectively.

The Truth #6
12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
We seriously need to bench Blair.

I disagree. Pop is starting him to give him confidence. If Blair plays well then he gets extra time. But on the whole, he's hardly playing. We're winning while keeping Dice and Tim's minutes down. I don't see a problem. Some want Splitter to play more, but that's gradually been happening. Again, I don't see a serious problem. We bench Blair then we're putting even more hope in Bonner. No thanks.

angelbelow
12-27-2010, 07:59 PM
1) we KNOW mcdyess is going to get many more minutes in the playoffs - so i don't know why anybody is worried about pop pacing Dice right now.

2) like it or not, bonner's shooting has been a reason for this start. most of the scenarios that max out the spurs' potential involve bonner playing at this level. yes, he's a proven playoff midget - but i don't see this team (as it's currently constructed) making a deep run without Bonner playing well. blair and splitter both have the potential to be all around better players than Bonner, but neither forces the opponent's bigs very far out the lane, which closes driving lanes very quickly.

Not to imply that I don't want to see more of the young(er) bigs, but I don't have a huge problem with how Pop has set up the rotation - at this time.

Bonner's been great, but I really wouldn't describe him as being a reason for this start. He is part of a collective reason where the majority of our role players are complementing The big 3 well. Whether its Bonner, RJ, Hill, Neal, Blair, theyve all had their cake. I also disagree that Bonner has to play well for us to go deep. We have enough shooters at this point to help when Bonner inevitably goes cold in the playoffs.

Blackjack
12-27-2010, 08:01 PM
"Duncan's contract is up in less than two years, and while he's likely to finish his career as a Spur, he may not be able to carry a team any more."

May not ? Uh, no. Hasn't been able to since we beat the Pistons in '05. The change in offensive philosophy was long overdue.

2007. Parker won a Finals MVP in a favorable matchup, Duncan was the MVP of their championship run.

jjktkk
12-27-2010, 08:01 PM
bonner's been great, but i really wouldn't describe him as being a reason for this start. He is part of a collective reason where the majority of our role players are complementing the big 3 well. Whether its bonner, rj, hill, neal, blair, theyve all had their cake. I also disagree that bonner has to play well for us to go deep. We have enough shooters at this point to help when bonner inevitably goes cold in the playoffs.

+1

benefactor
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I disagree. Pop is starting him to give him confidence. If Blair plays well then he gets extra time. But on the whole, he's hardly playing. We're winning while keeping Dice and Tim's minutes down. I don't see a problem. Some want Splitter to play more, but that's gradually been happening. Again, I don't see a serious problem. We bench Blair then we're putting even more hope in Bonner. No thanks.
Exactly. Many fans want to see a playoff rotation right now, but what is happening right now is what needs to happen. Blair needs confidence instilled, Bonner needs to help the Spurs get regular season wins and the bench guards need to play well in order to keep Manu and Parker's minutes at a reasonable level.

If we get into late March and Bonner is still playing extended minutes and Splitter is not in the rotation, then one can start to worry.

Blackjack
12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Exactly. Many fans want to see a playoff rotation right now, but what is happening right now is what needs to happen. Blair needs confidence instilled, Bonner needs to help the Spurs get regular season wins and the bench guards need to play well in order to keep Manu and Parker's minutes at a reasonable level.

If we get into late March and Bonner is still playing extended minutes and Splitter is not in the rotation, then you can start to worry.

I endorse this -- hard. :tu

jjktkk
12-27-2010, 08:08 PM

+1. I don't think Blair will be starting in the playoffs, but if Blair can improve and play with confidence, it will hopefully pay dividends by the end of the regular season.

DPG21920
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm already worried. There are a lot of troubling signs. Despite playing a ridiculously low amount of minutes and being coddled, Tim has had a few eye opening games (in a bad way) against way below average front lines.

Although the team as a whole is better than I thought, the defense is well behind what I thought it would be.

Maybe playing Tim more minutes will help the defense along with a healthy Hill/Tiago/Anderson, but Tim has looked worn out quite a few times with the limited minutes.

jjktkk
12-27-2010, 08:14 PM

If we get into late March and Bonner is still playing extended minutes and Splitter is not in the rotation, then one can start to worry.

+1! Excellent points. I think I'm slowly figuring out what Pop is trying to achieve with his big men. He obviously knows what he has in Duncan, and Dyess. But he knows he has to boost Bonner's and Blair's confidence, while also slowly integrate Spitter into the mix. IMO this not a easy task by any means, but if he can pull this off, it will one of his finest coaching moments.

ChuckD
12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm already worried. There are a lot of troubling signs. Despite playing a ridiculously low amount of minutes and being coddled, Tim has had a few eye opening games (in a bad way) against way below average front lines.

Although the team as a whole is better than I thought, the defense is well behind what I thought it would be.

Maybe playing Tim more minutes will help the defense along with a healthy Hill/Tiago/Anderson, but Tim has looked worn out quite a few times with the limited minutes.

I disagree. I think Tim looks more bored than anything. His bad games are a function of fewer effective minutes. He starts slow, and maybe only plays 20-25 minutes. If he would crack 35 minutes on a regular basis, his performances would even out. Of course, he'd be gassed for the playoffs, so this is better.

When they've needed him, like the first Denver game, at altitude on a B2B, when we really NEEDED half court offense, he's been there.

pjjrfan
12-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Defensively I think Tim is still holding his own, but offensively he's lost it. He's not hitting his jumpers, his bank shots and his footwork has to gone to pot. The last three games it looks like Tim is always falling when he makes a move on the low post his feet and balance are horrible. It's been a steady decline but this season it's just so obvious, there's a reason he is not in the game in the 4th qtrs and it's not always because of big leads.

TD 21
12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Wrong as usual, benefactor.

This team has a legit shot at having the best record in the league. A feat they shouldn't run their players into the ground to accomplish, but a significant one. In order to give themselves the best chance to accomplish the feat (without running their players into the ground) they need to be starting McDyess and have Splitter in the rotation immediately.

McDyess can be held to 20 mpg. Certain games against bottom feeders, Blair can start and they can try to avoid using McDyess altogether. Other games, if it looks like it's under control relatively early, he can sit the remainder of the half after his initial rotation.

As for Splitter, now is the time to acclimate and indoctrinate him. Let him get familiar with the system, his teammates, certain opponents and let the refs get familiar with him. This is not a vet of the league like McDyess, to where they can hold him back until past the All-Star break and still know what they're getting.

He needs minutes now. If/when, how can, in the Conference Semis and Finals, they all of a sudden expect him to play 20-25 effective mpg guarding Nowitzki/Gasol/Odom and playing some alongside Duncan, when he's never done any of those things? The Mavs they might be able to get away with him not having that type of role, but not against the Lakers.

What makes you think anything is going to change by February/March? At some point, I expect McDyess to take over as the starter, but I also expect Bonner to remain as the first big off the bench and Splitter to be used sparingly. Based on how we know Pop to operate and what we've seen/heard, there's no reason to think anything different.

The next two games, Blair has no business being in the rotation. Yet he'll inevitably start, contribute to the team likely getting in a hole and then he won't play against for the rest of the half (possibly, game). How is that good for his confidence?

ChuckD, excellent post about Duncan. Typical DPG, though, in constant panic/defer mode.

DPG21920
12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
lol

TampaDude
12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Clearly, we are doomed... :lol

TD 21
12-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Clearly, we are doomed... :lol

If "we" continue to play the same foolish rotation, "we" probably will not retain the top seed in the conference, let alone the league and "we" will decrease "our" chances of beating the Mavs in a series and eliminate any chances "we" have of beating the Lakers in a series.

I've got confidence in this team though and think they'd have a legit shot at beating anyone in a series, so long as they're healthy and the rotational changes I've been suggesting are made.

TampaDude
12-27-2010, 10:05 PM
If "we" continue to play the same foolish rotation, "we" probably will not retain the top seed in the conference, let alone the league and "we" will decrease "our" chances of beating the Mavs in a series and eliminate any chances "we" have of beating the Lakers in a series.

I've got confidence in this team though and think they'd have a legit shot at beating anyone in a series, so long as they're healthy and the rotational changes I've been suggesting are made.

If "we" actually play defense, "we" will be just fine. :toast

The Truth #6
12-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Foolish? I don't think there's a magic answer. I'd call it a balancing act. There isn't a perfect candidate to start next to Duncan at the moment. Dice? He clearly doesn't want to start. He's happy off the bench and doesn't want or need to play more minutes if we want him at 100% for the playoffs. Bonner? He's doing well off the bench. Why change that? He has no potential to be a real starter whereas Blair still does. Splitter? He isn't ready yet.

I agree that his minutes should go up, but that's been the trend recently. I don't see why he should be thrust into big minutes all of a sudden. It's not like he's been playing like an All Star and Pop is idiotically holding him back. He's been up and down like all the bigs. But his minutes have gone up. If they go back down and he's in a doghouse then there's a reason for concern but that's not the case right now.

I think this is one of Pop's best coaching seasons because he's adapted. He changed the offense to fix the strengths of the team. He's played rookies and young players. Pop usually does something idiotic every year but I don't see anything major to complain about this year.

TD 21
12-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Foolish? I don't think there's a magic answer. I'd call it a balancing act. There isn't a perfect candidate to start next to Duncan at the moment. Dice? He clearly doesn't want to start. He's happy off the bench and doesn't want or need to play more minutes if we want him at 100% for the playoffs. Bonner? He's doing well of the bench. Why change that? He has no potential to be a real starter whereas Blair still does. Splitter? He isn't ready yet.

I agree that his minutes should go up, but that's been the trend recently. I don't see why he should be thrust into big minutes all of a sudden. It's not like he's been playing like an All Star and Pop is idiotically holding him back. He's been up and down like all the bigs. But his minutes have gone up. If they go back down and he's in a doghouse then there's a reason for concern but that's not the case right now.

I think this is one of Pop's best coaching seasons because he's adapted. He changed the offense to fix the strengths of the team. He's played rookies and young players. Pop usually does something idiotic every year but I don't see anything major to complain about this year.

There isn't a perfect candidate per se, but there are two better ones than Blair. It doesn't matter what McDyess prefers to do, it's about what's best for the team. But if it's so imperative to avoid starting him, then Splitter should start. He's not ready based on what? Up and down? Has he played a meaningful minute yet this season? He plays against bottom feeders/garbage time.

Who said big minutes? I said about 20 mpg for McDyess and either less or none at all in certain match-ups. This is not about drastically altering minutes, but rather who get's the allotted minutes. 18-22 mpg makes sense for bigs 2-4. But bigs 2-4 shouldn't be Bonner, Blair, McDyess, in order of mpg. And if that's going to continue to be the case, then Pop needs to stop harping on the defense. He should consider it a minor miracle that they're top ten in efficiency with the rotation he's using.

This is major. This is the difference between having a legit shot at beating the Lakers or possibly not even getting to the Lakers.

JR21
12-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Great Article. Exactly what i wanted to read.

The Truth #6
12-28-2010, 01:54 AM
There isn't a perfect candidate per se, but there are two better ones than Blair. It doesn't matter what McDyess prefers to do, it's about what's best for the team. But if it's so imperative to avoid starting him, then Splitter should start. He's not ready based on what? Up and down? Has he played a meaningful minute yet this season? He plays against bottom feeders/garbage time.

Who said big minutes? I said about 20 mpg for McDyess and either less or none at all in certain match-ups. This is not about drastically altering minutes, but rather who get's the allotted minutes. 18-22 mpg makes sense for bigs 2-4. But bigs 2-4 shouldn't be Bonner, Blair, McDyess, in order of mpg. And if that's going to continue to be the case, then Pop needs to stop harping on the defense. He should consider it a minor miracle that they're top ten in efficiency with the rotation he's using.

This is major. This is the difference between having a legit shot at beating the Lakers or possibly not even getting to the Lakers.

Dice is our best player to go with Duncan in the post but since Pop wants to rest him, Dice doesn't want to start, and Dice loafs through the regular season as a way to save himself for the playoffs, I don't see the reason to put more of an emphasis on him right now. I have no idea what Pop will ultimately do, but my guess is Pop will play Dice more minutes in the playoffs and Dice will play much better, just as he did last year.

Splitter hasn't gotten a lot of minutes. Yes, he's played against garbage feeders. But he hasn't been incredible. It's not like he's played out of this world against crappy competition. He has problems rebounding and finishing. He still needs work. As does Blair. Blair has proven himself through some solid play last year and working on his game in the offseason. To me, that's one reason why Pop is starting Blair, but it's not like Blair is playing huge minutes. A lot of people are writing Blair off already, with the implied assumption that Splitter is going to be awesome. For us to do well they both need to play well.

Splitter has been steadily getting more minutes. Who knows what Pop is going to do, or how the players will respond. I don't see what there is to be up in arms about at this point. Obviously the defense needs to improve, but the issue starts with Duncan and is an issue with all the players. I think the whole team needs to step it up more than I expect Splitter to save the team.

ElNono
12-28-2010, 02:06 AM
I wonder if TPark told Pop we're 26-4 and just stop worrying about the defense... :rolleyes

benefactor
12-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Wrong as usual, benefactor.

I'm sorry...did you say something? I was too busy polishing my second team medal and admiring my near 10k post count to notice. Perhaps you should repeat it now that I'm listening.

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2010, 06:50 AM
lol starting blair so he needs confidence? wtf

then how come splitter doesnt get the same treatment in that same regards, his the only one that we need come playoff time...not just another stiff 6fouls

blair we know what he brings to the table, we need him to dominate against the other teams bench when td is gettin a breather...

UnWantedTheory
12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm sorry...did you say something? I was too busy polishing my second team medal and admiring my near 10k post count to notice. Perhaps you should repeat it now that I'm listening.
LoL...Ass. :lol

UnWantedTheory
12-28-2010, 07:07 AM
lol starting blair so he needs confidence? wtf

then how come splitter doesnt get the same treatment in that same regards, his the only one that we need come playoff time...not just another stiff 6fouls

blair we know what he brings to the table, we need him to dominate against the other teams bench when td is gettin a breather...

Frankie23
12-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Our best defensive 5 is:
Hill/Manu/Anderson/Dice/Duncan

Capt Bringdown
12-28-2010, 07:48 AM
+1. I don't think Blair will be starting in the playoffs, but if Blair can improve and play with confidence, it will hopefully pay dividends by the end of the regular season.

Blair is at best an energy bench player. If it's a matter of sacrificing Splitter's minutes so that Blair can imagine himself an NBA starter, then we're making a huge mistake. He should be improving and gaining more confident in the role that he's best suited for - and not at the expense of a more promising player.

Splitter may or not be the answer, but we have no other choice to double down on his development. What have we got to lose?
Blair/Bonner/Dice ain't good enough in the playoffs.

Rummpd
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
David Aldridge is one of the very best NBA writers and announcers - a professional without all of the rubbish and drama of so many others.

TD 21
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Dice is our best player to go with Duncan in the post but since Pop wants to rest him, Dice doesn't want to start, and Dice loafs through the regular season as a way to save himself for the playoffs, I don't see the reason to put more of an emphasis on him right now. I have no idea what Pop will ultimately do, but my guess is Pop will play Dice more minutes in the playoffs and Dice will play much better, just as he did last year.

Splitter hasn't gotten a lot of minutes. Yes, he's played against garbage feeders. But he hasn't been incredible. It's not like he's played out of this world against crappy competition. He has problems rebounding and finishing. He still needs work. As does Blair. Blair has proven himself through some solid play last year and working on his game in the offseason. To me, that's one reason why Pop is starting Blair, but it's not like Blair is playing huge minutes. A lot of people are writing Blair off already, with the implied assumption that Splitter is going to be awesome. For us to do well they both need to play well.

Splitter has been steadily getting more minutes. Who knows what Pop is going to do, or how the players will respond. I don't see what there is to be up in arms about at this point. Obviously the defense needs to improve, but the issue starts with Duncan and is an issue with all the players. I think the whole team needs to step it up more than I expect Splitter to save the team.

It's not much more of an emphasis, minute-wise.

Whether you think he's been incredible, terrible or somewhere in between, he's too key a player to not be in the rotation at this point. I'm not writing Blair off, it's about what this team needs to have the best shot to retain the first seed and win long term this season.

He's not getting meaningful minutes, though. I've already went over why this is a big issue, I'm not regurgitating it all. The issues start with Duncan? He's been one of the best defensive anchors in the league, as always. It's not about Splitter saving the team. It's about him giving them their best shot at being as good as they can be.

benefactor, I like it. :lmao

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Blair is at best an energy bench player. If it's a matter of sacrificing Splitter's minutes so that Blair can imagine himself an NBA starter, then we're making a huge mistake. He should be improving and gaining more confident in the role that he's best suited for - and not at the expense of a more promising player.

Splitter may or not be the answer, but we have no other choice to double down on his development. What have we got to lose?
Blair/Bonner/Dice ain't good enough in the playoffs.

So after one year your saying Blair has hit his ceiling as far as his talent level. If you quit slobbering over Splitter for a minute, remember that Blair is still in the develpment stage as well. Both Splitter and Blair need developing. If you and your counterpart worry wart TD21 would show some fucking patience, you might realize that Pop is trying to integrate both of these guys as well as Neal, and Anderson, and have every body knowing their roles and hopefully Pop will have a consistant rotation be the start of the regular season.

benefactor
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
benefactor, I like it. :lmao
I thought you might. :)