PDA

View Full Version : Award Watch: Rookie of the Year

nbaman99
12-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Gary Neal, San Antonio Spurs – 17.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists (last week)

One of the more well-traveled and unheralded players in this rookie class, Gary Neal has been a bright spot for the Spurs this season. With George Hill out with a toe injury, Neal stepped up and played big minutes for Coach Gregg Popovich this week. In Hill's return to action on Sunday, Neal saw his streak of four straight double-digit scoring efforts (a career-high) come to a halt as he scored nine points in 24 minutes of action in a 90-84 win over the Washington Wizards. In his three other games this week, Neal averaged 20 points per contest while shooting .486 from the field and .400 from behind the three-point line. Following the team's 109-103 win over the Denver Nuggets on Dec. 22, Popovich said, "We don't win this game without Gary Neal playing for us." Neal is taking advantage his time spent honing his skills overseas the last few seasons and has helped the Spurs to the best record in the NBA.

Tiago Splitter, San Antonio Spurs – 7.7 points, 5.0 rebounds

Finding playing time on this deep, veteran-laden Spurs team hasn't been easy for Tiago Splitter, but this week the rookie from Brazil played some solid minutes while helping the Spurs maintain the top record in the NBA. The 6-11, 240 lb. power forward had back-to-back double-digit scoring performances for the first time in his NBA career this week, posting 12 points (on 6-7 shooting) and nine rebounds in a win over Denver on Dec. 22 and adding 11 points and five rebounds in a loss to the Orlando Magic the following night. For the week, Splitter shot .643 from the field and .833 from the free throw line and continued to be a difference-maker on the defensive end of the floor.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18304

jimo2305
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
as long as neal gets on the all nba 1st rookie team.. i'll be happy.. also as i said earlier.. i wanna see him show off come all star weekend..

rookie neal vs. sophmore blair.. that'd give me one more thing to smile about that weekend :)

Agloco
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah the addition of Neal is an unexpected boon. If Splitter finds consistent rotation minutes and Anderson comes back and improves on his game, we could make some noise.

As an aside: The only troubling thing in terms of personnel IMO is Blair. He simply isn't as improved as I had expected from last year. It isn't so much from a skills standpoint as it is from a "B ball IQ" standpoint. He's making far too many boneheaded plays. Hopefully his play cleans up between now and the ASB.

jimo2305
12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
i think blair's minutes did increase from last year to this year.. that's part of the issue with blair there.. yes i agree he does make some boneheaded plays and the thing that stands out the most to me is him being in foul trouble.. i trust he'll learn.. but it's a common thing with bigmen.. ask dwight howard.. and sometimes i hate callin blair big man because he's like what.. 6'8?.. when u're trying to play big with bigger guys than u.. it's easy to foul alot..

sa_butta
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Its a long season and as long as he continues his success he should get NBA 1st rookie team, but I think Griffin will run away with the ROY.

Phillip
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
James Anderson has this on wrap. He is Michael Jordan with a 3pt shot according to spurfans.

Dex
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
James Anderson has this on wrap. He is Michael Jordan with a 3pt shot according to spurfans.

James Anderson can actually make 4pt shots.

Cessation
12-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Doesn't Blair have high BBIQ? I was told that he does.

Phillip
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
James Anderson can actually make 4pt shots.

Chuck Norris is no longer the badass of badasses. It is now James Anderson.