PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ in SA

Vici
12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Some friends and I are heading down from Austin to watch the game and were thinking of having BBQ for lunch. Anyone have any suggestions? Especially if it's close (relatively) to the arena?

Dr. Gonzo
12-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I like The Smokehouse on Rigsby.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
http://o.aolcdn.com/yp/statics/venueimages/shoppingvenues/0b/04/109266075_135.GIF
:tu

Frenzy
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
B&B smokehouse was friendly and tasty ,but no tv in the place :(

CosmicCowboy
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Ditto on the smokehouse being good. It's only about 10 minutes away but on the opposite side of the ATT Center from Austin.

Coming in from Austin it might be easier to hit The BBQ Station at Loop 410 and Harry Wurzbach. They do excellent work too...

http://www.barbecuestation.com/

man on wire
12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
O'Grady's

Spurstro
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I've enjoyed Augies on N. St. Mary's...close to the zoo.

Trill Clinton
12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Gonzales Smokehouse on S.W W White road>>>>>>>>>>>>>the competition.

DesignatedT
12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Rudy's off Boerne Stage rd. Everything else isn't even close.

leemajors
12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
:rollin

baseline bum
12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
:rollin

I was watching some show on the Food Network or the Travel Channel a couple of months ago where they claimed they were going to all the best BBQ joints in the nation. When they get to Texas they don't go to City Market, don't go to Smitty's, don't go to Kreuz, not Black's, not Salt Lick, not The Smokehouse... no, they fucking went to that piece of shit place (the exact Rudy's location). Might as well have gone to fucking Bill Miller's.

Trill Clinton
12-28-2010, 07:50 PM
smh@Rudys

Mark in Austin
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
http://o.aolcdn.com/yp/statics/venueimages/shoppingvenues/0b/04/109266075_135.GIF

Boiled meat doesn't count.

Mark in Austin
12-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I was watching some show on the Food Network or the Travel Channel a couple of months ago where they claimed they were going to all the best BBQ joints in the nation. When they get to Texas they don't go to City Market, don't go to Smitty's, don't go to Kreuz, not Black's, not Salt Lick, not The Smokehouse... no, they fucking went to that piece of shit place (the exact Rudy's location). Might as well have gone to fucking Bill Miller's.

I'm firmly convinced that the only reason Rudy's is famous is that compared to Bill Miller's, it is pretty good. The people of San Antonio were served shit for BBQ for so long Rudy's was feast-worthy in comparison. But it is shit compared to the places you mentioned, bb.

Hell, even the franchised Rudy's like the one on 360 in Austin are (much) better than the original.

Creepn
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Why yall hating on Bill Millers? I bet yall go there 3 times a week for lunch break.

Zombie
12-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Gonzales Smokehouse on S.W W White road>>>>>>>>>>>>>the competition.
is it good? i've been thinking about trying it.

Dex
12-29-2010, 10:27 PM

Rudy's is middle of the pack, at best. Especially up here in Austin.

In some states, it would be high on the list, but there are definitely better places in Texas (as previously mentioned).

You want some genuine Texas Q, Elgin or Lockhart is the place to go.

Why yall hating on Bill Millers? I bet yall go there 3 times a week for lunch break.

Bill Miller's isn't BBQ; it's fast food. And I personally think that it tastes like nursery home cafeteria food.

Mark in Austin
12-29-2010, 10:30 PM

Because after growing up in the BBQ desert that was San Antonio, I've now eaten at some of the best BBQ places in the state and know what brisket is supposed to taste like.

I actually was feeling nostalgic a few months ago and went to Bill Miller's. It was shit - I threw out half of it.

JoeChalupa
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
You know what I've noticed?.....as much as people bitch and complain about chain restaraunts and what not....those same establishments always seem to be doing great business. I don't think I've driven by a BM's during lunch or dinner or breakfast even that there isn't a line at the drive thru. Even Olive Garden is always packed during lunch and dinner hours yet I never hear anyone say they like it. Hell, I'll say it, yeah I go to OG on occasion and usually get the soup and salad and because I do love their tuscani or whatever it is called soup. Then I'll go to some fancy smanzy place and pay an arm and a leg for what is good meal but not all that. Although I did go to Emerrill's place and it truly was some of the best food I've ever had. Just saying.

greyforest
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
HELLLLLLLLLL NO.

http://image03.webshots.com/3/2/86/10/2255286100031056128jqXLsL_fs.jpg

greyforest
12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
bill millers...:bang

rudy's barbecue sause is the best sauce of all bbq sauce ever. order baby back ribs or brisket.

Fpoonsie
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM
You know what I've noticed?.....as much as people bitch and complain about chain restaraunts and what not....those same establishments always seem to be doing great business. I don't think I've driven by a BM's during lunch or dinner or breakfast even that there isn't a line at the drive thru. Even Olive Garden is always packed during lunch and dinner hours yet I never hear anyone say they like it. Hell, I'll say it, yeah I go to OG on occasion and usually get the soup and salad and because I do love their tuscani or whatever it is called soup. Then I'll go to some fancy smanzy place and pay an arm and a leg for what is good meal but not all that. Although I did go to Emerrill's place and it truly was some of the best food I've ever had. Just saying.

Wow...your rants hardly lead anywhere. This post being no exception.

And Bill Miller's is fucking awful.

mrsmaalox
12-29-2010, 11:46 PM
I've only been to the Rudy's in Boerne, and both times it was about the driest meat I have ever had. The only flavor was from black pepper,and the sauce tasted of nothing but black pepper also.

marini martini
12-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree, Rudy's is over rated. It used to be good when it first opened the one on Boerne Stage road. But turned to shit once they franchised out.

I love how Cooper's opened up across the street from Rudy's in N.B. I love Cooper's. and their free beans.

I also love Lockhart's Black's, Krueze,Smitty's, and Chisolm Trail!:tu

Fpoonsie
12-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Not in SA, but if anyone ever has a chance to make it out to the D/FW area (particularly, the NORTH D/FW area), Clark's Outpost in Tioga is fucking pheNOMenal.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 12:17 AM

I think what he was trying to say is that he is just an average guy with average tastes. He doesn't need anything fancy to make him happy.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't let anyone tell you that Joe Cotton's in Robstown is good. It isn't.

JR21
12-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I agree. And it only about 5 minutes from the AT&T Center.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
I think what he was trying to say is that he is just an average guy with average tastes. He doesn't need anything fancy to make him happy.

You are correct sir and apparently I am not alone as the success of those "average" places would prove.
And my post was a rant?

JoeChalupa
12-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Yeah, I know. :sleep :sleep

Mark in Austin
12-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree, Rudy's is over rated. It used to be good when it first opened the one on Boerne Stage road. But turned to shit once they franchised out.

The irony is now the franchise locations are better than the original. The Rudy's franchise locations in Austin have better meats (and more choices) and much better sides. Honestly, you can go to the HEB deli counter and get better sides than what the Boerne Stage Road Rudy's has.

leemajors
12-30-2010, 10:07 AM

I love how Cooper's opened up across the street from Rudy's in N.B. I love Cooper's. and their free beans.

I also love Lockhart's Black's, Krueze,Smitty's, and Chisolm Trail!:tu

Black's is garbage. Cooper's is good, but damn expensive. City Market and Snow's are where it's at. Franklin in Austin is also very good, but not worth the 45 minute wait even though I know the staff and get a good deal. Hopefully they fix the choke point of the serving trailer.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2010, 10:19 AM
I basically don't buy BBQ...mine is much better than all of them...but in SA if I do eat BBQ out it's either The Smokehouse or BBQ Station. Bill Millers is for salads and fried chicken.

baseline bum
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Black's is garbage. Cooper's is good, but damn expensive. City Market and Snow's are where it's at. Franklin in Austin is also very good, but not worth the 45 minute wait even though I know the staff and get a good deal. Hopefully they fix the choke point of the serving trailer.

Is Snow's actually worth the extra 120+ mile roundtrip from SA vs going to City Market?

JoeChalupa
12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I basically don't buy BBQ...mine is much better than all of them...but in SA if I do eat BBQ out it's either The Smokehouse or BBQ Station. Bill Millers is for salads and fried chicken.

I knew this was coming. :lol

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I knew this was coming. :lol

:lol

No brag, just fact....

leemajors
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Is Snow's actually worth the extra 120+ mile roundtrip from SA vs going to City Market?

Snow's has some damn, damn good brisket. I don't get anything else there and usually buy 3-5 lbs when I go. I believe it's around $8/pound. They have free beans, so I get those. But their brisket is ranked #1 in the state for a reason and they are only open on Saturdays, but you can call ahead.

Nathan Explosion
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I've had some of my Big Red vendors who service the East Side say that the best places to get barbque are on the East Side. They tell me that during the weekends some guys just find an empty lot, set up shop, and sell from there. And like hole in the walls on the West Side are the best places to get Mexican food, these roadside vendors are the best places to get barbque.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I've had some of my Big Red vendors who service the East Side say that the best places to get barbque are on the East Side. They tell me that during the weekends some guys just find an empty lot, set up shop, and sell from there. And like hole in the walls on the West Side are the best places to get Mexican food, these roadside vendors are the best places to get barbque.

I concur. My wife's mom lives on the East Side and you can find some real good BBQ on the weekends.

baseline bum
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Snow's has some damn, damn good brisket. I don't get anything else there and usually buy 3-5 lbs when I go. I believe it's around $8/pound. They have free beans, so I get those. But their brisket is ranked #1 in the state for a reason and they are only open on Saturdays, but you can call ahead.

So it's significantly better than City Market's brisket?

Ignignokt
12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

How's that, do you have a special way of roasting n!ggers?

Das Texan
12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Hell the fucking Rudy's in the Valley is better than that piece of shit on Leon Springs.

JR21
12-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah this is true, Also Pat's on Houston street and Hackberry is DAMN GOOD! His sandwiches weigh like 5 pounds each and have some of the best BBQ sauce i've had.

xellos88330
12-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Mine is the best.

leemajors
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
So it's significantly better than City Market's brisket?

Overall City Market is my favorite overall, but Snow's is definitely tops for brisket. I'd say you gotta make it out there once. They are closed this Saturday though.

hehateme
12-30-2010, 07:02 PM
When you guys mention City Market are you talking about the one located in Luling itself or the one in Houston? Or are they both the same just different locations?

baseline bum
12-31-2010, 12:16 AM
When you guys mention City Market are you talking about the one located in Luling itself or the one in Houston? Or are they both the same just different locations?

The place in Houston stole City Market's good name and their sauce (which is pretty lousy anyways) when they hired a guy away from City Market a few years ago. Luling City Market (the Houston restaurant) sucks; I can't count how many times I have had people tell me I was crazy for recommending City Market after they weren't impressed by the Houston imposter... a.k.a., Luling City Market. They aren't affiliated in any way; the City Market located in Luling is amazing.

Mark in Austin
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
The place in Houston stole City Market's good name and their sauce (which is pretty lousy anyways) when they hired a guy away from City Market a few years ago. Luling City Market (the Houston restaurant) sucks; I can't count how many times I have had people tell me I was crazy for recommending City Market after they weren't impressed by the Houston imposter... a.k.a., Luling City Market. They aren't affiliated in any way; the City Market located in Luling is amazing.

You know, I need to give that place another try. When I went it was pretty close to closing and everything I had was too greasy.

Duff McCartney
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
:lol

No brag, just fact....

Damn pull your tongue out of your own ass.

Anyway as far as BBQ is concerned I like Rudys but I've probably only eaten there about twice since they opened. I usually don't ever really eat BBQ when I go out.

I think everywhere you go is just a matter of simple taste and preference. But I do agree that I wouldn't consider Bill Miller genuine BBQ.

Spurstro
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
No one has been to Augies near Brackenridge Park?

Dark Gable
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Exactly.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Is B&B still in San Antonio? It must not be.

baseline bum
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Damn, this thread inspired me to make the trip to Luling for lunch today, and City Market never disappoints. A+ brisket, ribs, and sausage again from there.

Chomag
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Smokey moes is pretty good but they seem to be very hit and miss and lack allot of consistency, but when they are on they are pretty damn good.

City Market in Luling (SP?) has got to be the best BBQ I have ever had though. I wish I could get out there more.