PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson to meet with Kobe

Kori Ellis
05-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Jackson to meet with Kobe

By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

The Phil Jackson saga appears to be entering its final stages, with Jackson trying to set up a meeting with Kobe Bryant as early as next week and possibly making a decision about his future before the start of the NBA Finals, according to sources.

Even though the Lakers have played down Bryant's role in the hiring of a new coach, with owner Jerry Buss saying the superstar guard would be consulted but would not be part of the decision-making process, the meeting with Jackson is said to be critical.

If Jackson and Bryant are able to reach an understanding about working together, Jackson could be close to returning as Lakers coach. If not, Jackson still could rejoin the organization but in a front-office capacity, a source said.

Whether that would be as a team vice president or a consultant has not been determined. The Lakers offered Jackson a similar role last summer after he was not brought back as coach but he was not interested at the time.

Such a position also could come with Jackson electing to take another year off and deciding then about whether he wants to return to coaching.

Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not return several messages this week. The NBA Finals are set to begin June 9 but could be moved up by two days. Jackson is expected to have some public comment around then.

The negotiations between Jackson and the Lakers have been complicated to say the least. One source last week called it a "done deal" that Jackson would return while another source said this week that all options are still being considered.

At the NBA's draft lottery on Tuesday night, Jeanie Buss, the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations and Jackson's longtime girlfriend, predicted he would be coaching in the league next season.

"I don't know where he's going to end up, but he hasn't ruled anything out," she told reporters. "So that makes me think that he will be making a decision sooner than later."

Jerry Buss is vacationing in Europe but did have a substantive meeting with Jackson on May 13 before he left, sources said. The next night, Jackson said at a fund-raiser in Beverly Hills that he was considering the Lakers job.

If Buss' interest in bringing back Jackson was issue No. 1, then Bryant's willingness to play for Jackson is No. 1A, as many have speculated all along.

It was Bryant who received the most unsparing portrayal in Jackson's best-selling diary of the 2003-04 season, with Jackson at one point writing about storming into general manager Mitch Kupchak's office and asking to have Bryant traded.

But Bryant was playing under the weight of a sexual-assault allegation, and Jackson has been conciliatory toward Bryant since returning from his trip to Australia and New Zealand.

The Lakers have said that Bryant and Jackson would be meeting of their own accord. No conversations are believed to be scheduled between Jackson and any other Lakers players.

The pending expiration of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement has an uncertain impact as well. Jackson is seeking a contract starting at $10 million per season, though Buss said he expected to be paying a coach through the lockout, if there is one.

Also: North Carolina guard Raymond Felton went through a lengthy workout with the Lakers on Thursday and did likewise with the Clippers on Friday. Felton is one of four Tar Heels who could go in the first round of next month's NBA draft.

Felton, who said he expects to be selected somewhere between No. 5 and No. 12, added that he believes he can start his rookie season. "I have that much confidence in my game," Felton said.

3rdCoast
05-28-2005, 03:38 AM
I dont think Jackson is the answer to their problems, but I do think he will be back wit them and help them to a 45 win season.

alamo50
05-28-2005, 05:49 AM
If he realy does return I will have lost all the respect I had for him.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Phil jackson is a gold digger, and its business as if he cares what shaq thinks his only interested in milkin kupcakes fortune and return the lakers to a lottery team again next season :D

ducks
05-28-2005, 08:53 AM
phil jackson is upset he wants to make noise in june
does not knwo what to do
I THINK HE WOULD BE BETTER OFF TRYING TO WIN A TITLE IN DETROIT IF LARRY STEPS DOWN